[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is my knife legit?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170801_150341.jpg (2MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170801_150341.jpg
2MB, 3200x2400px
My dad gave me this "Damascus steel" knife and I can't find any info about it online. I am pretty sure it is just a mall ninja special, but I could be wrong. Any info?
>>
File: IMG_20170801_150348.jpg (2MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170801_150348.jpg
2MB, 3200x2400px
Here is another photo
>>
>>34725533
It looks kinda like Damascus steel

Does it have a rainbow gleam in light?
>>
>>34725598
only when orcs are near
>>
It looks nothing like Damascus steel. Its pattern welded steel. If you're lucky it was forge with two good steels, if not it was one or two shit steels and sold as mall ninja shit.

The two pins in the guard tell me the blade.is a separate peice and just pinned to the handle.
>>
>>34725533
"Damascus steel" is a lost art but we've created a new versions/processes that copies the look of it.

I can't tell from looking at it, nor am I sure what your question is really even if it were a reproduction it would still be a "damascus steel" because that's what we call pattern welded and organic patterned crucible steel.

if you're asking us to identify the age of the blade based on two pictures from your phone you're retarded.

Here's the Wiki on Damascus steel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel
>>
>>34725598
Nope
>>
>>34725533
polish the surface with an ultra fine grit sandpaper
>>
>>34725724
Well that confirms it. Thanks /k/
>>
>>34725533
http://faq.customtacticals.com/geometry/shape_amtanto.php
Looks like it was made recently.
>>
"Damascus" can mean plenty of things. Or rather, nowadays it means a steel with a pattern inherent in the steel itself. This pattern can be caused by a number of things.

The most commonly seen damascus today is pattern welded steel, where two of more different kinds of steel have been forge welded together, and then manipulated in various ways to create an attractive pattern. If you don't aim for all too much in terms of artistry you can make large billets of it on an industrial basis. Your blade appears to be made of such material.

The "true" damascus steel of the middle east, central Asia and India is a rather different critter. Here steel is made by melting iron together with pig iron or a carbon donor in a crucible, letting the carbon mix throughout. As the metal solidifies again, structures are created by the crystalline growth. If the right (carbide forming) impurities/natural alloying elements are present in sufficient amounts, then with the right treatment these structures can be reinforced and rendered visible.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.