[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Blackpowder/Hunting general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: Hawkens.jpg (330KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Hawkens.jpg
330KB, 1200x800px
Hey guys. A couple of years ago my grandfather gave me a percussion Hawkens by Tradition in .50 Cal, and I've got in mind that I want to take a black bear with round ball. What powder load would be good for taking one down? Feel free to share any stories you have or showoff your guns or whatever, I hardly ever see Black powder discussions on here anymore. I'm also seriously considering getting a steel frame 1851 Navy, either Uberti or Pietta. Leaning more towards the Pietta.
>>
File: 1851NavySheriffSteel_SM.jpg (21KB, 474x225px) Image search: [Google]
1851NavySheriffSteel_SM.jpg
21KB, 474x225px
>>34721230
OP, I was thinking about maybe getting one of these. or a full size. Definitely in .36. Do any of you guys have experience with these?
>>
>>34721282
Either of those would be good. They're fun to shoot just pay attention to your powder load and the gun itself.

>went shooting with a friend
> load up my 1851 navy
> 3 shots in hear bloop instead of bang
> ear pro is good so I'm thinking that's just the sound of a lighter load
> everything seem cool
> fire again a two balls come out
>>
>>34721378
Sorry about the typing it's 4am and I'm still awake.
>>
>>34721282
If you like to tinker, get a pietta. They're pretty garbage out of the box, but the frame, barrel, and cylinder are all solid. For the price of an uberti you can buy a pietta and all the parts to rebuild it into something slick.
>>
File: image.jpg (1017KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1017KB, 3264x2448px
>>34721498
Along the lines of this. I'd have to agree that pietta guns are honestly more of a working project, however they are absolutely functional out of the box.
Here's a solid example and my current project. I cut the barrel to about 2 1/2 inches and reprofiled the grip. Besides aesthetics the gun's main spring was actually oversized and caused the hammer to seize and jammed. No excuses for this kind of shitty quality control. However all it took was to sand about a 32nd of an inch and it was good.
Trigger has been polished and I've replaced the nipples and screws with some made of better steel.
Now besides the oversized hammer spring everything else worked well and was machined adequately.
Time considered, this gun is about as expensive as an uberti with manual labor only. However none of the parts needed any replacement. It's definitely a great gun with or without modification.
>>
>>34721498
See from what I've heard the arbors on the Uberti's are too long, which from what I can understand can negatively effect the barrel. I don't mind tinkering with guns in any case. If it makes any difference I plan on buying from Taylor and Company. I would definitely plan to change the nipples out as soon as possible, with any other modifications coming later as I see fit.
>>
>>34722223
Bait
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.