[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

45 is better than 9mm suppressed meme

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 6SIyDH7.png (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
6SIyDH7.png
2MB, 1024x768px
When will it end?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cMuEpVOuQ
>>
>>34718039
Even super sonic 9mm is better than sub sonic 45.
Bigger hole more noise.
>>
>>34718136
Depends on your intent tho
if you want a bullet that is subsonic but still packs a punch enough on someone, you might want a heavier bullet to do the job
Basics physics, at the same speeds, heavier bullets have more kinetic energy
>>
>>34718039
Only nocans think that.
>>
>>34718039
Who gives a fuck? Shoot what you want to shoot. No one is outrunning a bullet, no matter what caliber it is.
>>
File: 20170730_132708.jpg (388KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_132708.jpg
388KB, 1200x900px
>>34718939
Burt what is your take on the whole debate, it's a fairly inarticulate area of debate other than "9mm is quieter" - this excludes obviously, firearm and can design because a generality, just share your thoughts if you have the time.
>>
>>34718935
> Packs a punch
My Speer gold dot has something to say bud
>>
>>34718948
But we are talking about which is quiter
>>
>>34718039
They both kill fine
>>
>>34719022
Smaller hole = easier to suppress
>>
>>34719183
brevity is not lost on you. Ever noticed the mechanical action of the slide cycling coming in to play? I don't have a diversity of platforms to extrapolate from.

>euro hours

save us frenchfags
>>
>>34719979
There is something to be said about can size, in addition to action/gun type.
Several people have found the Osprey 45 to be a little bit quieter than the 9 Osprey with 9MM due to the greater internal volume.
>>
>>34720329
That's pretty intuitive to me you'd think spacious and larger baffles would def have a huge DB influence, despite the poop hole at the end. Like if I got a a 9x19 end cap on a .308 can and got the adapting piston - I would assume that's like the end game and the best DB reduction, am I way wrong?

I don't know shit tho just talkin
>>
>>34720402

Sound logic other than 9MM>30 cal. If it was a strong enough can it would swage the bullet and make it into a lil spear, which would be p cool. Once.
There's a balance to it all with diminishing returns for every variable. A super long, super wide can at some point will only be a bit quieter than a more reasonably sized can, with greater likelihood of baffle strikes to boot. The Osprey example is a good one for the internal volume overcoming the large bore size.
With a wet can and custom loads you will get better performance than most other things outside of manual vs auto action.
I use 90 grain XTPs over trailboss in a 300 memeout single shot for max quiets. You hear the hammer strike and then a sec later bullet impact and nothing more. It's not super practical as a fighting gun but it's fun AF.
>>
>>34720516
What barrel length? Is there a huge impact on making the shot louder if you use the 8.5" barrels?
>>
>>34720516
>>Sound logic other than 9MM>30 cal. If it was a strong enough can it would swage the bullet and make it into a lil spear, which would be p cool. Once.

Am I missing something? I thought I covered replacing the end cap with the appropriate diameter cap? Not trying to be a dick just curious. Guess can baffle design then matters even more, yeah yeah ok ok I see this isn't so straightforward.... likelihood of a modular end cap would presuppose baffles fitted for larger rounds.
>>
>>34719183
Quite honestly, the most important metric is sectional density. That's why 230 grain 45 is so much louder than 230 grain 300BO.
>>
>>34720573
>Am I missing something? I thought I covered replacing the end cap with the appropriate diameter cap?

Did you forget about the .30 caliber hole in every baffle?
>>
>>34718039

9x39 when?
>>
>>34720647
>Guess can baffle design then matters even more

Nope brought it up a sentence later, but I see how my wording was shitty
>>
File: IMG_0630.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0630.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>34720573
What I meant was that 9MM being larger diameter would strike the baffles of a 308 can before reaching the end cap.
I think I may have been being too technical, due to my assburgs.
My form 1 30 cal uses a .368 bore so I suppose 9MM could pass through but it would be too close for comfort. A 60 thou overbore is about the tightest you will see with commercial cans because bore size is not a huge factor and also they don't want to have to repair strikes.
A 9MM can that can handle 308 pressure would be good enough without changing end caps. You likely could not hear a difference.
>>34720543
It doesn't matter as long as the pill is still sub from both bbls. Memeout being sub from both would have a 16" technically be quieter than an 8.5" due to the larger volume of bbl+can. If the longer barrel causes the pill to go trans/super then it will actually be louder.
My single shot is 16" and my 8.5" AR is a touch louder but that's due to action type. If I shut my gas block off it would likely sound roughly the same, if not a tiny bit louder to the shooter since the muzzle is slightly closer to their ear.

Can talk gets my nerd boner diamonds. Sorry for being gay.
>>
>>34720692
>What I meant was that 9MM being larger diameter would strike the baffles of a 308 can before reaching the end cap.

In my Post >>34720573
>likelihood of a modular end cap would presuppose baffles fitted for larger rounds.

I get the baffles need tolerance allowances. So I guess the question is, where's the balance? Large physically more rotund can with looser baffle fitting but the correct end cap or tight, high speed low drag, I guess I don;t have a point, I'm just faggining it up.
>>
http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20Ballistics%20as%20viewed%20in%20a%20morgue.htm
>>
>>34718039
It depends by what you mean by better. 9mm is of course more quiet, but if you want it subsonic, you need to get a 147gr loaded on the weak side. And at that point, you're shooting something on par or worse than .38. If you are fine with it being a little louder, you can shoot some pretty hot .45 and still be subsonic. If your shooting paper 9mm is better, if you are shooting people, .45 is better when it comes to cans.
>>
>>34719050
.22lr is the quiter.
>>
File: slim shooty.jpg (1MB, 2200x1467px) Image search: [Google]
slim shooty.jpg
1MB, 2200x1467px
>>34719979
Not really, in my experience the remaining report is far louder than the slide/bolt. In fact, apart from .22, I don't know if I've ever heard a slide while firing suppressed. Even in a suppressed 10/22, which is pretty dang quiet, the shot is louder than the bolt reciprocating.

>>34720329
The verified instances of oversized suppressors being quieter on sub-calibers than dedicated sub-caliber suppressors are very rare and I'm suspicious of all such reports. If baffle designs and volume were equal, the one nearest to bore diameter without producing baffle strikes will be quieter fo sho.

>>34720624
I don't know how much that would affect sound, but a .300 is smaller than .45, so if both guns used the same operating system, baffles and suppressor volume, the smaller round would be quieter. But of course there's leakage through the .300 blackout's gas tube not present in a .45 pistol, as well as other differences in the suppressors themselves.

>>34720516
>diminishing returns
>A super long, super wide can at some point will only be a bit quieter than a more reasonably sized can
That practical size of diminishing returns is precisely what we see on the market; generally no more than 1.5" in diameter and 1 foot in length with most being significantly less than that. If there were worthwhile gains to be had, you would see huge suppressors on the market. Even a niche market for impractically huge but effective suppressors would exist, but there are no commercially available xboxhueg suppressors to be found on this planet.

Also Hollywoodquietanon I swear to fucking god you better not show up in this thread...
>>
>>34720946
22 short is quieter still
>>
>>34719037
Oh do they only make ball ammo for .45? I was unaware that it was impossible to load jhp's in .45
>>
>>34721043
appreciate your feedback and as always, I enjoy the pictures

>Also Hollywoodquietanon I swear to fucking god you better not show up in this thread...

If he does, I'll hold his head while you fuck his face
>>
>>34721043
>I don't know how much that would affect sound, but a .300 is smaller than .45, so if both guns used the same operating system, baffles and suppressor volume, the smaller round would be quieter. But of course there's leakage through the .300 blackout's gas tube not present in a .45 pistol, as well as other differences in the suppressors themselves.

I'm talking about just bullet noise. If both are fired from a bolt action, the bullet with the higher sectional density will be quieter. I have a suppressed p220 and p226. When using subs in both the .45 is Soooo much louder than the 9. Subsonic 158 grain 9 almost sounds like .22lr.
>>
>>34720758
Bump
>>
>>34718039
So on a 9mm gun you essentially gain ~2db of reduction by using a 9mm can instead of a .45

Does anyone here think they can actually hear a ~2db difference? Most couldn't.

Can tone is more important than 2db. A quieter can might have an unpleasant sharp tone while a can that meters louder might have a nice low thump that most would perceive as quieter.
>>
>>34718948
Unless you have pumped up kicks famalam
>>
>>34718039
Who thinks this? More mass requires more energy to move. More energy means more powder. More powder = more boom.
>>
>>34723278
Good song.
>>
File: Silencerco Specwar 556.jpg (554KB, 2500x1875px) Image search: [Google]
Silencerco Specwar 556.jpg
554KB, 2500x1875px
>>34723242
2dB is 66% quieter. Or one third as loud. One of those.

Either way it's not nothing.
>>
>>34726338
1/3 the power, not really 1/3 as loud. The human ear tends to judge around a 10dB difference as being twice or half as loud.
>>
The best way to learn about suppressors and how the different design elements come into play is to actually design and build one. Buying them at a store gives only limited information and experience.
>>
>>34726394
I'll judge your mom as being twice or half as loud
>>
>>34723308
Wrong!
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.