[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are the essential books to read regarding nuclear warfare/policy/history

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

File: Nagasakibomb.jpg (71KB, 670x440px) Image search: [Google]
Nagasakibomb.jpg
71KB, 670x440px
what are the essential books to read regarding nuclear warfare/policy/history ?
>>
>>34712740
On Thermonuclear War is the grandaddy on nuclear policy

dark sun is also good
>>
File: Essential K.jpg (33KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Essential K.jpg
33KB, 667x1000px
>>34712740
On Thermonuclear War, by Hermann Kahn
>>
File: Dr. Herman Kahn.jpg (444KB, 2544x2370px) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Herman Kahn.jpg
444KB, 2544x2370px
>>34712740
On Thermonuclear War by Dr. Herman Kahn.
>>
>>34712803
is this the number one book on nukes ?

what does it entail, like is it simply a scientific look into how nukes are made, their history or is it about policy ?
>>
>>34712810
To be frank, its all three. If you'd like, send me an email, and I'll toss you all the books (PDF form) I have on the nuclear field. Its not a complete list, but its a good start.
>>
>>34712863
sure man, i would like a hardcover so may be buying the books which are seen as the best
>>
>>34712863
not that guy but I'd also like the nuke books tbqh
[email protected]
>>
>>34712863
[email protected]
Not OP, but I would be obliged.
>>34712810
It's more about policy and strategy than design, but goes into great detail about the actual effects of the weapons at times (immediate effects, radiological effects, fallout types and clearing, etc.)
Prior to this book the most nuanced policies were either variations on "Nukes are fine, nothings changed" or "Armageddon, MAD, All is Lost", and this book is the defining level-headed examination of an actual war-type scenario.
It's from 1960, so it's a little anachronistic, but most modern deterrence theory and strategy is derivative of this book. It is Nuclear War, 101.
>>
>On Thermonuclear War By Herman Kahn
>On Limited Nuclear War in the 21st Century by Jeffrey Larsen and Kerry Kartchner
>The Evolution of Nuclear Strategy, Third Edition by Lawrence Freedman
>Russian Strategic Nuclear Forces by Pavel Podvig
>Nuclear Statecraft: History and Strategy in America's Atomic Age by Francis J. Gavin >Eating Grass: The Making of the Pakistani Bomb by Feroz Khan
>Prevention, Pre-emption and the Nuclear Option: From Bush to Obama by Aiden Warren >Nuclear Deterrence in the 21st Century: Lessons from the Cold War for a New Era of Strategic Piracy by Thérèse Delpech >Analyzing Strategic Nuclear Policy by Charles L. Glaser
>Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes
>Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb by Richard Rhodes
>Nuclear Strategy in the Modern Era: Regional Powers and International Conflict by Vipin Narang
>Building the H Bomb: A Personal History By Kenneth W Ford

this was /oppenheimers/ recommended list, it depends on what exactly you are looking for but like others have said 'on thermonuclear war' is the book that has everything, policy, design, warfare etc so its the most essential book
>>
on thermonuclear war is the definitive. its like what LOTR is to fantasy and inspired dr strangelove

it also opened a new way of thinking about nukes which many struggled to deal with like how to actually win a nuclear war
>>
>>34712863
[email protected]
>>
>>34712863
[email protected]
If you wouldn't mind sending those pdfs
>>
>>34712863
[email protected]
If you don't mind I'd like to read those too. Thanks.
>>
this is seen as the number one as it pretty much has everything

it does also go into design of the weapons but focuses more on the effects of nukes
>>
>>34712863
Its me again, last call for books via PDF form.
>>
>>34712863
[email protected]
i would appreciate those pdfs
>>
>>34712966
[email protected]
>>
>>34712863
>>34712966
Alrighty, thats it for now, thanks for playing everyone!
>>
>>34712945
that book also invented the futurology and the genre or discussion of futurology
>>
>>34713011
Right then, the email has been sent out, check your boxes.
>>
>>34713115
so pdfs are of the entire books right

jesus, thank you man
>>
>>34713132
You got the email?
>>
>>34713115
thank you!. im the idiot on slippery so i cant reply but what do you have on WWI, WWII and Aircraft?
>>
>>34713146
yeah :)
>>
>>34712863
someone share it on tg please
>>
is a nuclear war 'winnable' ?
>>
>>34713175
it would be a Pyrrhic victory
>>
>>34713175
acording to Oppen the winner is the one who recovers first. taking into account that going back to pre war status is (nearly) impossible
>>
Oppen recommended me this once and it's a great read about Soviet/Russian nuclear equipment, leadership and industry. It's a huge book but a great read non the less.
>>
>>34713175
the thing i read about MAD is that the chinese and even soviets did not really adhere to it as they saw that they could win

they even built underground cities in preperation
>>
>>34713196
>the thing i read about MAD is that the chinese and even soviets did not really adhere to it as they saw that they could win
So why didn't they start shooting then, hmmm?
>>
>>34713147
Sent ya an email, I think its you, you didn't specify.
>>
>>34713219
yeah that was me>>34713147

thanks for the books.
>>
>>34713235
I hope you enjoy them!
>>
>>34713172
Why would I share military history works on a board about table top gaming? I'm a fervent worshiper of the Emperor, but do you have any other reasons?
>>
"Under the Cloud"
by Richard Miller

really good, some great first hand accounts of witnessing tests at close range
>>
Can someone from mail list upload PDFs on megaupload, or make magnet/torrent?
>>
>>34713951
This plz
Or Dropbox or any other filesharing system.
Remember- allowing /k/ommandos access to seminal literature increases the level of discourse on /k/, to the advantage of all involved.
>>
>>34712740
The Road to Trinity
>>
>>34713951
I'm the guy who has all the PDF's, but I don't know how to do that.
>>
>>34714370
>dropbox
Just make free account, and upload PDFs, then paste here master folder link. If you are mobile now, install app from appstore.
>>
look up project pluto, a weapon straight from hell
>>
>>34714722
you know its evil when they terminated the project when they were almost done due to fear that the soviets may make something worse
>>
>>34712902
Add Paper Tigers: China’s Nuclear Posture by Jeffrey Lewis.

https://www.iiss.org/en/publications/adelphi/by%20year/2014-de9e/paper-tigers-chinas-nuclear-posture-371a
>>
>>34712902
Also:
Raven Rock by Garrett M. Graff

http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/Raven-Rock/Garrett-M-Graff/9781476735405
>>
>>34715161
>>34715143
cheers man, appreciate having my thread blessed by your presence

can i ask a question, which country do you think of right now is most likely to break out in nuclear war ?
and in general, is nuclear war 'winnable' ?
>>
Opp, why Chinese ICBM aren't always tipped with nuclear warheads? Doesn't it defeat whole point with credible second strike ability?
>>
Oppo, with the last and easiest step of the norks to put a nuke on their icbm, does this small window of time pressure america to act quick ?

if so, what is their plan ?
>>
>>34715169
>can i ask a question, which country do you think of right now is most likely to break out in nuclear war ?
DPRK

>and in general, is nuclear war 'winnable' ?
Depends on what you call winning. Being able to survive as a political entity with a functioning economy is probably the best victory condition you can hope for and in that sense, yes it is winnable.

Others will argue that even if your political institutions survive and you have some sort of working economy and the other guy doesn't, the fact that your previous way of life probably no longer exists is a defeat.

So, like almost anything, it depends on what your standards for winning are.

>>34715185
Many reasons. Worries about command and control is probably the biggest. They also do not seem to want to make it look like they want to mirror the US in terms of readiness. They do not want to play "Nukes" with the US. This almost divorces their weapons from their overall military capability, at least in terms of appearances.

The Chinese assume that in a crisis, they will have time to increase their readiness and arm their weapons.

>>34715203
>does this small window of time pressure america to act quick ?
If they choose to act, yes. Time is much shorter now than it was last week.
It is possible that the DPRK have managed to close the window on a potential US preemption, but we wont know that for a few weeks at least. They still need to demonstrate the reliability of the overall system.
Its possible that they may feel the need to test a live weapon at some point, similar to what the Chinese did, but thats not clear.

>if so, what is their plan ?
I have no predictive abilities with the current US administration, so I do not know.
>>
>>34715169
India and Pakistan will always be at the edge. 2 3rd world shit holes that barely have basic city infrastructures but control nukes and completely hate each other.
>>
>>34715248

> Time is much shorter now than it was last week.

Writing is already on the wall and it says

>B61's

It'll be over in a flash. The stoppage is how the region reacts after. But it's coming, soon.
>>
>>34715248
Does China have satellite based early warning system, or just ground radar based?
>>
>>34715248
Any comment on W76-1/Mk4A superfuse article by H. Kristensen, posted in Bulletin? Sounds quite scary in term of global strategy.
>>
>>34715290
pakistans way of transporting nukes and overall security around their nukes is what kept Obama up at night
>>
>>34715883
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/12/the-ally-from-hell/308730/

The best book on pakistans nuclear program comes from former general of the pakistani army for 30 years, Feroz Khan 'eating grass: making of the pakistani bomb'

its also in general one of the essential books on nuclear weapons and strategy, history etc. as even opponheimer recommends it
>>
>>34713262

You can upload PDF files instead of images.
>>
>>34715930
>At least six facilities widely believed to be associated with Pakistan’s nuclear program have already been targeted by militants. In November 2007, a suicide bomber attacked a bus carrying workers to the Sargodha air base, which is believed to house nuclear weapons; the following month, a school bus was attacked outside Kamra air base, which may also serve as a nuclear storage site; in August 2008, Pakistani Taliban suicide bombers attacked what experts believe to be the country’s main nuclear-weapons-assembly depot in Wah cantonment. If jihadists are looking to raid a nuclear facility, they have a wide selection of targets: Pakistan is very secretive about the locations of its nuclear facilities, but satellite imagery and other sources suggest that there are at least 15 sites across Pakistan at which jihadists could find warheads or other nuclear materials.

>here are as many as 9,000, including at least 2,000 who possess “critical knowledge” of weapons manufacture and maintenance, according to two sources in Pakistan—working in their country’s nuclear complexes, a watchfulness deemed necessary after disclosures that two retired Pakistani nuclear scientists of pronounced jihadist sympathies had met with Osama bin Laden in the summer of 2001.

nuclear 9/11 confirmed
>>
>>34715956
>General Kidwai promised that he would redouble the SPD’s efforts to keep his country’s weapons far from the prying eyes, and long arms, of the Americans, and so he did: according to multiple sources in Pakistan, he ordered an increase in the tempo of the dispersal of nuclear-weapons components and other sensitive materials. One method the SPD uses to ensure the safety of its nuclear weapons is to move them among the 15 or more facilities that handle them. Nuclear weapons must go to the shop for occasional maintenance, and so they must be moved to suitably equipped facilities, but Pakistan is also said to move them about the country in an attempt to keep American and Indian intelligence agencies guessing about their locations.

>Nuclear-weapons components are sometimes moved by helicopter and sometimes moved over roads. And instead of moving nuclear material in armored, well-defended convoys, the SPD prefers to move material by subterfuge, in civilian-style vehicles without noticeable defenses, in the regular flow of traffic. According to both Pakistani and American sources, vans with a modest security profile are sometimes the preferred conveyance. And according to a senior U.S. intelligence official, the Pakistanis have begun using this low-security method to transfer not merely the “de-mated” component nuclear parts but “mated” nuclear weapons. Western nuclear experts have feared that Pakistan is building small, “tactical” nuclear weapons for quick deployment on the battlefield. In fact, not only is Pakistan building these devices, it is also now moving them over roads.

moving nukes in unprotected civilian trucks through congested and dangerous areas

literally any jihadist group can steal one
>>
>>34715992
>What this means, in essence, is this: In a country that is home to the harshest variants of Muslim fundamentalism, and to the headquarters of the organizations that espouse these extremist ideologies, including al-Qaeda, the Haqqani network, and Lashkar-e-Taiba (which conducted the devastating terror attacks on Mumbai three years ago that killed nearly 200 civilians), nuclear bombs capable of destroying entire cities are transported in delivery vans on congested and dangerous roads. And Pakistani and American sources say that since the raid on Abbottabad, the Pakistanis have provoked anxiety inside the Pentagon by increasing the pace of these movements. In other words, the Pakistani government is willing to make its nuclear weapons more vulnerable to theft by jihadists simply to hide them from the United States, the country that funds much of its military budget.
>>
>>34715248
if you had to pick one book that is the most essential and the 101 of everything nuclear, what book would you recommend ?
>>
very short time frame before the norks put the nuke on their missile tips.

after that they are untouchable
>>
the road by cormac mccarthy

threads if you want a film
>>
>>34716075
>threads
If you are looking for bullshit representation of atomic warfare, then sure, watch this. Otherwise, watch By Dawn's Early Light.
>>
>>34716136
>Dawn's Early Light.
looks pretty cool

may i ask what is wrong with threads ?
>>
>>34712740

Anyone who got the books, would they be happy to share via email or upload?
>>
File: when-the-wind-blows-.jpg (43KB, 700x572px) Image search: [Google]
when-the-wind-blows-.jpg
43KB, 700x572px
>>34716136
>implying this isn't the GOAT
>>
i have the books in pdf

give me your emails, i shall periodically come here to see new emails and i shall send you them
>>
>>34715248
I recent found a book called "Negotiating in the public eye The impact of the press on the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Force Negotiations"

Have you read it before and if yes, what is your opinion of it?
>>
>>34716147
Unrealistic portrayal of atomic warfare, where bombs are dropped on small town without strategic value, radioactive contamination is widespread, where it shouldn't be like that, etc etc. Generally, horrible piece of anti-nuke propaganda born during cold war.
>>
>>34716178
Just upload the pdfs to mega or something
>>
>>34715248
>If they choose to act, yes. Time is much shorter now than it was last week.
>It is possible that the DPRK have managed to close the window on a potential US preemption, but we wont know that for a few weeks at least. They still need to demonstrate the reliability of the overall system.

Based on Japanese weather camera footage, it looks like their reentry vehicle broke up at 3 to 5 kilometers in altitude. Does this help provide more concrete estimates of how long it will take North Korea to produce a workable reentry vehicle?
>>
>>34716178

Pretty much a case of going here and just upload the folder without an account. Would save you time of sending out the emails.

https://mega.nz/fm/
>>
>>34713207
Just because it's not assured *destruction* doesn't mean it's not assured to be a serious disaster. Even if they thought, rightly or wrongly, that their countries would survive, they would still use a huge amount of their population, buildings, and farmable land. Just because they figure more of their people could stick it out in fallout shelters than our people could, doesn't mean it's worth triggering the war.
>>
Can anyone recommend me some podcasts or audio-based materials to learn more about nukes and shtf in general? I'm looking for real, backed-up information, not just crazy preppers' baseless speculations like most of the material out there is.

I do most of my reading via audio because I'm too busy to just sit down and read. I drive a lot and do a lot of mindless tasks, though. I'm trying to take advantage of that time to learn more about various topics, I'm listening to a lot of survival related podcasts, but I haven't found any good material on nukes yet.
>>
>>34712740
As a novel regarding Nuclear war, I'd recommend On the Beach by Nevil Schute.
>>
>>34715956
>>34715992
>>34716001

Eh, I wouldn't say a nuclear 9/11, if anything I would be more inclined to think if jihadists stole it, they'd use it to provoke a regional war either with India or Iran first.
>>
>>34712810
Here you go OP
>>
>>34716276

Grab these from Youtube with a downloader, might enjoy the British discuss this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3PyrHqi1EM&index=1&list=PLFAgO2TZWpwD2BLYUaErOwZSouczUeAVK
>>
>>34715319
They have some orbital early warning.

>>34715390
The change in capability is significant.

>>34716050
Managing Nuclear Operations.
>>
>>34712740
Selling Your Boipussy for Spam: Surviving the Apocalypse in 10 Easy Steps, by the editors at Spurdo, Pepe, and Wojak 2015 (Illustrated)
>>
>>34712740
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAEmhqdLFs
>>
>>34712740

Anything by Richard Rhodes.
>>
https://mega.nz/#F!V6x10BAS

the books in pdf
>>
>>34719355
What's the decryption key?
>>
>>34715248
could the Norcs try an EMP strike of the west coast? would accuracy not be as critical vs ground targets??
>>
>>34719355
>>34719511
try this

https://mega.nz/#F!FnYV1TxB

key - !uFl1FU11WMJj5SMW3q3vCw
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.