[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slide release/slingshotting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6104.jpg (139KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6104.jpg
139KB, 1000x1000px
My uncle who's a cop (also a former swat sharpshooter for my small town) told me that they never use the slide release to chamber a round on a handgun. He said its far too unreliable compared to slingshotting it like normal. He's a very skilled shooter from what I understand (as far as cops go) about his positions and medals.

Is he full of shit on the slide release? Is he stuck in the past or is there merit to what he told me?
>>
>>34706753
It mostly comes down to preference and training, but what I've experienced is that under a timer or stress, I can sometimes miss or fumble the slide release, whereas slingshotting is much harder to fuck up.
>>
>>34706753
Fine motor control vs gross, but I would use the slide release if I was in a shootout.
>>
>>34706753
Depends on the gun. Some claim to be designed so the slide is fully retracted and then released. Some claim to be designed for the slide to be released by pressing the slide release lever. Design aside, some are easier to actuate the lever than others. This is why I love my Glock 17 Gen 4 that I bought a few weeks ago for only $310.49. It works either way I do it. Plus I saved a lot of money.
>>
>>34706753

I just practice both, mostly I just slingshot.
>>
I don't know what gun that has ever been true about in a mechanical sense, but there is the fine motor control degradation under stress to consider. That might be a valid argument.
>>
Short answer: it depends.

1911 pattern slide stops with inadequate metallurgy can be damaged by use as a slide release, for example, but an HK slide release is very clearly meant for and designed for use as such. At the moment, simply pulling the slide (or bolt, in the case of the Ruger Mk. pistols) to let the slide stop drop out of the way is a more universal manual of arms for semiautomatic pistols. This doesn't necessarily mean that it is the only valid way to chamber the first round from a magazine from slide lock.
>>
He's still a cop, which means frankly he's learned all of his skills in a government industry notorious for ignoring a lot of safety and performance knowledge on the grounds that as cops, their "needs" are different. My southern US county had had four cops killed "in the line of duty", three with their own bullets, two of those at the range because they can't exercise trigger discipline with their Glocks. The fourth was shot by a crazy dude during a well being check because they were wandering around his house peeking in windows after his family described him as a paranoid schizophrenic whose phone got shut off.

The slide release is actually far more reliable than the slingshot, but the slide release had the tactical disadvantage of being noisier.
>>
>>34706753
its training
slingshotting is universal
when youve got a class with a mix of glock,sig,berreta, s&w all the slidestops will be in a different location
nobody wants to waste time teaching individuals a bunch of different methods.
these trained individuals continue the cult of sllingshotting over using the slidestop.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.