[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overpenetration and building materials in the US

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

Non American resident.Not atf bait.

Given that the average american urban home is built on -rather- light materials, are you concerned about overpenetration and collateral damage in self defense scenarios? Especially rifle rounds must slice through rooms with ease...

Just wondering.
>>
>>34695193
No, because here in real America we don't build things close enough together that it matters.
>>
>>34695193
>Non American resident
I reported you to ICE Paco.
>>
>>34695226
What about the suburbs?
>>
>>34695228
Good luck to you.I live across the pond.
>>
>>34695193
No. We are land owners and the closest house is over 100 meters away. My neighbors would be the most likely to be causing the trouble anyway so fuck them.
>>
>>34695193
Rifle rounds will go through bricks and concrete.
>>
Of course. That's why I use JHP rounds for self defense.
>>
>>34695252
Suburbs are implicitly not a part of "real America."
>>
>>34695252
If I were to shoot someone facing west in my living room, the bullet would have to pass through

>living room wall
>garage wall
>outside fence separating my house from my neighbor's house
>their garage
>their living room wall.
>and all the space in between

that's still a fair amount of stuff, even for a suburban neighborhood.
>>
>>34695335
>no true scotsman
>>
>>34695252
What about them? Should someone lose sleep if a control freak soccer mom eats it while I defend myself from the Jamal her voting patterns brought into the neighborhood?
>>
>>34695343
I never said it was a /good/ argument.
>>
In my state your not liable for any loss of life in a self defiance situation
>shoot intruder
>miss one round
>kills innocent bystander
>if intruder lives they will be charged for it
>>
>>34695272
I'm sorry bong friend, can I mail you any eating utensils?
>>
>>34695402
What state?
>>
>>34695193
Repeat after me

There is no magic bullet that can reliably stop a man but wont penetrate drywall. Worry less about what youre shooting and more about where youre putting it.
>>
>>34695193
>Given that the average american urban home is built on -rather- light materials...Especially rifle rounds must slice through rooms with ease...
My house isn't, it has 3+ inches of some rocky material on all the walls. If I did shoot in the house chances are it'd have to go through at least two layers of that plus the wood in-between them, and then the siding of the house.

>are you concerned about overpenetration and collateral damage in self defense scenarios
If we're talking home defense, chances are I'm using HP, so penetration isn't a huge problem.

I still wouldn't risk shooting anything above 5.56 if possible, but the point is you know what your house can handle and you plan accordingly. And desu any non-sbr rifle/shotgun isn't ideal due to the length imo, so it's not like I'm going to be clearing my house with my 91/30.
>>
>>34695193

This was a major concern in densely populated urban environments and is why many police departments began switching over from the 9mm MP5 to the AR-15.

While pretty much any round is going to "over-penetrate" in buildings made almost entirely out of drywall and insulation, .223 was found to do it less than 9mm because of it's tendency to fragment and / or tumble upon impact.

A .223 carbine with varmint rounds like hornady vmax is arguably one of the best home defense weapons someone can own.
>>
File: 1500261956225.jpg (17KB, 398x370px) Image search: [Google]
1500261956225.jpg
17KB, 398x370px
>>34695228
But I'm paco I'm a citizen
>>
>>34695318
Depends on the round and barrel length. 5.56 out of a short barrel with frangible or seldom defense ammo will lose energy very quickly, even through just drywall.
>>
>>34695193
Isn't a problem if you don't miss. Even if you do it probably won't be a problem. Deaths from overpenetration are rather uncommon but not unheard of. Generally speaking handgun rounds, shotgun slugs, and heavy rifle rounds are the worst offenders. On the other hand lighter buckshot(#1/#4) and lighter fragmenting rifle rounds tend to penetrate the least through housing materials.

here's a few informational links on the subject

https://www.theboxotruth.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbdmQ5IN2j0

http://how-i-did-it.org/articles/
>>
>>34695193
This is only a problem for poorfags living in aluminum and wood shacks. My house and my neighbors' houses are all brick.
>>
>>34695402
>Intruder knocks down door
>retreat to self defence bunker
>detonate self defence nuke
>Intruder is instantly obliterated, along with every living thing in a radius of 30 kilometres
>No charges

I want to live where you do.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.