[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Plastic bullets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

File: 20170729_095339.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_095339.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
So my work makes these plastic bullet casings, apparently they break down into nothing after being fired.

What does /k/ think? Is this the future?
>>
Well how does it break down to nothing and second where does all the 'dust' from the casing go of that shit builds up it could fuck up the cycling process.
>>
Break down to nothing after firing but before ejection
>>
>>34692870
Did we just read Guerilla Marketing?
>>
>>34692894
That sounds like it's going to fuck up the gun after a while. I can only imagine it clogging up the firearm, being a huge pain in the as to clean, and a burnt plastic smell.
>>
>>34692870
Think its like that "smart Gun" that got hacked by mangets

stop trying to find solutions to non-existent problems that's how we got gender theory, common core and the rest of the bs in schools/politics
>>
decomposability and ease of manufacture COMES SECOND TO MAKING THE WEAPONS

MORE

EFFECTIVE

get it through your thick fucking skull scientists. Start with step 1, no one wants caseless or plastic ammo thats dogshit ballistics even if it functions perfectly
>>
I was told the extreme heat and pressure will cause the properties of the plastic to change I guess. Its supposed to break down after a few weeks. One main reason was because enemies would use spent shell casings as shrapnel or some shit.

We are not given much info on these things.
>>
>>34692870
>apparently they break down into nothing after being fired.
So the powder burn acts as a catalyst so the casings can bio degrade?

>>34692913
This.

I can just imagine doing a quality check of the rounds when you get them home, repackaging them, coming back in a months time to find they've started to degrade.

I can just imagine the number of out of battery incidents now...

OR how about this?
Lobbyists lobby for only bio degradable rounds? Brass & steel cases are illegal (for civilians) to prevent pollution.The real reason is to prevent people reloading to generate more tax revenue, and to prevent a civilian uprising, cutting off any chance of ammo supplies.
>>
Common source of ammo for revolutions is to reload brass from official units. In SA they had kids go and pickup brass from ground after "police" actions and reload it. The government units usually did not bother to police up the brass afterwards.

Also the reduced weight may be helpful in ammo loads.

If the ammo has a limited shelf life it gives a handle on the users.
Give El Presidente/military/police ammo that only last a few years and they have to keep coming back to you. Lose ammo to theft or capture and you don't have to worry about it forever. Irregular forces would have more difficulty in storing or moving ammo with environmental storage restrictions.
>>
>>34692927
>shell casings as shrapnel or some shit.
This, Its really strange because after firefights in iraq and afghanistan, civilians used to come out and police brass so they could smelt and sell it.
>>
>>34692927
Your being lied to, it's a gun control run around.

Similar to the fact we are still under a NATO treaty banning "military style" weapons, ammo and pistols from civilians.
>>
>>34692936
>>OR how about this?
>>Lobbyists lobby for only bio degradable rounds? Brass & steel cases are illegal (for >>civilians) to prevent pollution.The real reason is to prevent people reloading to >>generate more tax revenue, and to prevent a civilian uprising, cutting off any chance >>of ammo supplies

Yes this too... you can see People's Republic of California doing this as a another way to erode 2nd A rights.
>> "It's for environmental reasons" would be excuse.
I would suspect dropping plastics into environment would be worse than dropping brass into it.
>>
>>34692945
Smelting wouldn't make it better for "shrapnel" maybe EFP's and if they didn't have spent brass they would still find the fucking copper. Haji did that shit cause they are fucking haji dude.
>>
>>34692946
Why does if have to be a government conspiracy?

It`s just an alternative to traditional brass... calm down.
>>
>>34692952
They tried that with lead stating it hurt the environment, want to say it passed or almost did.
>>
>>34692953
No but they did take the brass over the border where it was sold to buy weapons, possibly to khyber pass gunsmiths to make more ammo for the insurgents.
>>
>>34692965
Yeah, that's because lead is bad shit. Copper, iron, not so much.
>>
File: gun cake.png (204KB, 750x3200px) Image search: [Google]
gun cake.png
204KB, 750x3200px
>>34692960
>government conspiracy
I didnt say that you did. Google NATO Small Arms Treaty.
>It`s just an alternative to traditional brass... calm down.
It's a gun control run around.
see >>34692952 & >>34692937 & >>34692965
>>
>>34692974
It's also found in nature and nature is bad right? We should just kill all the plants and animals. Think of the children man, think of the poor children's safety.
>>
>>34692989
>It's also found in nature
Not really. Minerals containing lead are found in nature, not so much chunks of pure lead.

Same with other shit like uranium and mercury.
>>
>>34692968
No, to what?
>>
File: 1498235281800.png (73KB, 202x296px) Image search: [Google]
1498235281800.png
73KB, 202x296px
>>34692999
Yes it is and you know it is since you said "not really", "implying" that it can be.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pertab/pb.html
> Last paragraph.
>>
>>34692905
Smart gun is extremely fucked up idea.

I mean imagine it - instead of buying "smart gun" you buy an add-on with sensors to put in various parts of your gun, let's say a rifle and the magazine. You have sensors checking everything, from amount of ammunition left in the magazine to whether the bolt closed completely or not. On top of it you strap on UV or IR laser.

Then, you put on your HUD or anything(even fucking google glass), with a camera on it, which:
>projects your point of aim based on the laser pointer position
>shows you the status of your rifle - whether the round is chambered, how many of them do you have in the magazine, whether it's on safe or semi or whatever
>when some malfunction occurs it shows you a warning, indicating what it is, making operation simpler and safer

Now that's some cyberpunk stuff I can get behind. But what do we get instead of it? A pistol which can be disabled remotely to prevent thieves from using it, which will end up in removing the circuit and getting the safety mechanism stuck in a mode that removes that feature. A fingerprint scanner on pistol so you have to get the correct grip to make it fire, which will also be removed if the gun will be stolen. Thanks guys, that's a great idea, need more of it.
>>
>>34692870
Fuck that, wont buy.
>>
>>34693020
Yeah... You're an idiot.

Ever heard of the exception that proves the rule? In fact, your own source indicates the most common forms are as minerals.

But thanks for proving me right, I guess.
>>
>>34693025
What if you live in a humid environment and the seal is compromised or the QC is lacking?
>>
>>34693033
>Actual Physics branches only form data on exceptions that proves the rule.
Also says it is found preformed in nature.
Here is your (you).
>>
>>34693033
Oh and lead is a mineral.
>>
>>34693052
Here is your autism diagnosis.
>>
File: images(6).jpg (12KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
images(6).jpg
12KB, 247x204px
>>34693033
>Lead is one of the few elements which can be found in nature in pure form.

The only idiot here is you. Maybe you should actually try reading someones source before posting, fucking turbofag. Anon disproved your dumbass yet you continue to make the choice of being wrong. Neck yourself.
>>
>>34693057
thank you
FUCK YOU PAY ME
>>
>>34692989
Gun owner stereotype right here "lol it's in nature lets just put it our water supply nothing will go wrong, what are you a liberal faggot."
Lead ammo bans are statist bullshit, but you're an aggressively ignorant nigger who was probably nursed on lead baby bottles.
>>
>>34693060
I never said it couldn't, maybe you should read posts before posting.
>>
>>34693063
Actually I want to genocide the Africans(due to their attempt of killing of they mega fauna since they "cant into farming) as well as the Indians(landmass) since they don't care about the river system and pollute everything.
Glad your psych 101 is insightful to you however.
>>
>>34693068
Different anon than those others that are shitting on you.
Why are you defending your own ignorance when your statements are still in the thread and you're anonymous?
You know you can just leave the thread and bare your shame for a whole hour or two?
>>
>>34693068
>states not really found in nature in pure form
>states it's found within other minerals despite being a fucking mineral
>is provides sources clearly countering your retarded argument and fails to read/comprehend it

When you are digging a hole and dirt is falling on your head you should stop digging.
>>
>>34693096
>>34693099
Pure lead is rarely found. I didn't say it wasn't, hence 'not really' and 'not so much'

Are you all illiterate or something?
>>
File: 1501203088924.png (64KB, 658x901px) Image search: [Google]
1501203088924.png
64KB, 658x901px
>>34693111
>>
>>34692974
Lead really isn't all that destructive in dirt or say a tree, it's when it sits in water and begins to break down that's the problem. A great example is the banning of lead shot for hunting water fowl, a few shells full of birdshot aren't really going to change the chemistry all that much but say it's a hunting reserve with hundreds of duck hunters showing up per season the water will begin to get pretty saturated and animals that drink that water run a high risk of developing lead poisoning. Lead is all around us it's in tap water and the food you eat, it's when it's volume is too high that it becomes and issue; just like everything else.
>>
File: images(7).jpg (9KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
images(7).jpg
9KB, 275x183px
>>34693111
>trying to prove themselves to complete strangers on an anonamous image board.

Kek. It just doesn't stop.
>>
>>34693111
No, I do see that critical think and sentence structuring are lacking in the youth of today.
>>
>>34693123
This I agree with.
Biological accumulation.
Maybe all the Orca and shark attacks recently are do to the lack of fish in the ocean due to die offs of radiation still leaking from Fukushima.
>>
>>34692989
yeah because nothing found in nature is dangerous right? we should just put everything we find outside in our mouths etc.
>>
>>34693056
is it, though? if you look at what the words "mineral" and "element" mean
>>
>>34693150
>Not understanding sarcasm.
Would that fall under critical thinking English courses or literature?
>>
File: IMG_1247.png (375KB, 763x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1247.png
375KB, 763x960px
>>34693146
I'm not the guy that started the lead argument. I was just using the lead shot ban as an example of a switch that was beneficial and no one really cared about. I don't know anything about orca or shark attacks. I could be autistic and am missing some sarcasm. Idk m8
>>
>>34693171
t. guy responding to a clearly sarcastic comment
>>
>>34693163
You tell me.
https://mineralseducationcoalition.org/mining-minerals-information/minerals-elements/
>>
>>34693176
I was agreeing with you then kind went on a tangent.
>>
>>34693171
i think you should take those classes if english is your native language
>>
>>34693181
oh ewe
>>
>>34693201
An your mother should have swallowed. Step it up kid.
>>
>>34693183
>https://mineralseducationcoalition.org/mining-minerals-information/minerals-elements/

fair enough. i was going by the first syllable of the wikipedia page, as in "A mineral is a naturally occurring chemical compound,[1] usually of crystalline form and abiogenic in origin. A mineral has one specific chemical composition, whereas a rock can be an aggregate of different minerals or mineraloids. The study of minerals is called mineralogy."
>>
>>34693208
>nothing personnel, kid
>>
>>34693208
says the skidmark of whom the best part was left as a stain in the backseat of a prius
>>
>>34693215
Never site wikipedia, which can be edited by anyone who makes an account.

>>34693217
kek Muh kidney
>>
>>34693224
It's hard to get to the hospital from out in boonies sometimes.
>>
File: IMG_1137.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1137.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>34693217
Your old memes made me kek.
You have been blessed by FLA Pineapple of happiness.
>>
>>34693033
The exception that proves the rule is a bullshit term that in literary circles is know as "idiots law"

Wanna guess the only people who use it?
>>
>>34693395
Which literary circles are you hanging out in?
>>
>>34693502
Not the Blues Clues ones apparently.
>>
>>34692870
I hope not. I just bought a reloading press and plastic cartridges would dramatically increase the cost of reloading for me
>>
>>34693514
I don't understand this reference.
>>
>>34693534
How young are you?
>>
>>34693537
Not young enough, apparently.
>>
>>34693541
Or old enough to be here cause that shit drove me all fuck crazy when I was home on leave. Little sisters loved it though.
>>
>>34693558
Uhh no, young enough...
>>
>>34693576
Then how old are you?
>>
>>34692999
>>34693020
>>34693033
>>34693060
>>34693068
>>....
Fucking /k/. Anon claimed that pure lead was rare and lead-containing minerals were common. The source posted mentions both of these without stating how common they are, which neither supports nor disproves his argument. We also know nothing about where these occur or how harmful they are respectively. But at least you fulfilled your daily dosis of shitposts I guess.
>>
>There are people ITT actually defending releasing pure elemental lead into the environment, where it leaches into the waterways and ends up in your child's tap water

Never change, /k/.
>>
>>34694735
>ends up in your child's tap water
Do you have Third World water filtration where you live, faggot?

>ITT there are people fearmongering for the purpose of making bullets harder to make, more expensive, and less effective
>>
>>34695400
American water systems, especially in cities, only filter a certain amount of lead because there is a cost/benefit analysis involved and getting 100% of it removed is considered impractical, even though the "safe" levels aren't actually safe. I'm not just talking about horror stories like Flint, this is well known by anyone working in water purification.

I'm not saying lead bullets should be banned, but to blatantly ignore that they have drawbacks is just putting your fingers in your ears.
>>
>>34695590
>not providing any statistics whatsoever
>not having an in-home water filtration system
>>
>>34695624
Houston is America's 4th largest city, with 2.3 million people.

https://www.publicworks.houstontx.gov/sites/default/files/images/utilities/wq2016.pdf

You'll notice that for the main system, the ideal lead level is ZERO, the report tells that 90% of taps are below 4 ppb, meaning 10% are above.

>not having an in home water filtration system
You're moving the goalposts, what happened to your "muh third world" argument?
>>
File: tracking point google glass.webm (2MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
tracking point google glass.webm
2MB, 854x480px
>>34693025
All you really need is a Tracking Point gun and a google glass, which both already exist, and if I were rich, I would definitely buy them just so I could do this.

All that other stuff you can see with your eyes, provided you have a windowed magazine anyway. Guns aren't that complex.
>>
>>34692870
I would prefer cases that break down into nothing AS they're being fired. Also it looks like you're using metal bases, so that's going to be some not nothing.
>>
File: 1484541017786.jpg (711KB, 1280x1706px) Image search: [Google]
1484541017786.jpg
711KB, 1280x1706px
>>34692870
Concerns I have right off the bat that would kill this.

1. Are the ballistics equal to or better than current cases? Not all brass is made equal, and when you're dealing with extremely high precision rifles, it can be a deal breaker.

2. Are they cheaper than steel cased? I assume they can't be reloaded, so if they can't be reloaded, then they're going to have to beat the price point of steel or they're a non-starter.

3. If it's cheaper than steel, is it at least as reliable as steel? My PTR will eat steel without complaint, but it's VERY rough on the brass, is this plastic stuff going to be more prone to failing in the chamber? One catastrophic failure in the chamber can ruin a weapon completely and if it becomes a pattern, nobody but idiots will buy it.

4. How "completely" and how fast are we talking? "Turns into dust like a vampire in the sun after firing and never hits the ground", "Biodegrades in a few weeks" or like that other recycled plastic stuff that takes literal years to decompose? How environmentally safe is it? Can you eat this shit?

5. Durability. Conventional brass rounds can be submerged in a tropical swamp for weeks or months and be ready to rock and roll without an issue. I can shoot M118 milsurp from like 1970 and not only do I not have to worry about the safety of it, it still functions on par with stuff manufactured yesterday. Is this plastic stuff going to have a shelf life or need super delicate storage?
>>
>>34696591
Another concern I have is heat resistance.
If my rifle is hot and I leave a round in the chamber what are the effects going to be.
Is it going to melt, weaken, or stick in the chamber?
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.