[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rations and MRE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 50

So /k/ which country has the best rations or MREs?

And why does the US suck at making rationed food?
>>
More importantly is Steve dead
>>
>>34691926
He just uploaded a week ago, anon.
>>
File: P-51 & P-38.jpg (887KB, 1500x1448px) Image search: [Google]
P-51 & P-38.jpg
887KB, 1500x1448px
>>34691763
America has the best can opener
>>
>>34691961

Big deal now that America no longer issues cans.
>>
>>34691763
>somebody started an MRE thread
This means Steve is going to upload a new video soon. He always makes threads here before uploading, so he can anounce his upload in the thread after it's underway.

I approve of this wholeheartedly. Steve, you've got the best channel on youtube.
>>
>>34691763

Also your claim is foolish. An American military ration of 2017 is barely distinguishable from the military rations of most other modern countries's rations of 2017.
>>
Are there any MREs without gluten in them that don't suck? I fucking love these things but I can't eat them anymore because Celiac.
>>
>>34692175
Don't US rations get compared to French ones a lot, what with the latter having far more morale increasing contents?
>>
File: p38 vs p38.jpg (73KB, 1266x450px) Image search: [Google]
p38 vs p38.jpg
73KB, 1266x450px
>>34691961
Which would win?
>>
>>34692194

Now that the basic quality level is comparable, national differences become more visible as well as climate zone allowances. Yes, French and Italian rations have more 'morale boosters' like tiny amounts of alcohol. But American rations will have stuff with peanut butter, apple cakes and so on. Our rations here in Norway have more berry based drinks and energy bars.

Either way the MRE's are still not what the majority of soldiers worldwide eats on a daily basis. The field kitchen always strives to deliver fresh stuff and warm goods, partly because MREs are costly as fuck and partly because mess tent meals are the biggest morale booster there is. Eating from a plate is the surest sign that your unit still has its shit together.
>>
Food is food. Food isn't what should be on your mind if you're eating an MRE. Odds are you're in a position to be concerned with staying alive.
>>
>>34692251

I beg to differ. The deeper shit you are in, the less hungry you are and the importance of appetizing food rises. When suddenly your body is taxed further by events that lack of energy in your body is going to have a cost.
>>
Spanish rations are pretty good.
>>
Has there ever been a confirmed case of a military clandestinely dosing their soldiers with amphetamines or other performance enhancing ration adulterants?
>>
>>34692576
Why would they do it clandestinely?
>>
>>34692580
Was it ever done without being advertised? Such that the soldiers didn't know?
>>
>>34692576

There has been various medicinally things done to varying groups of soldiers. Germany issued metamphetamines to their combat troops, especially on the eastern front. That was openly. Later on similar uppers could be found in emergency kits of pilots of many countries including USA. One old military chestnut is that some of the issued vitamin pills - I can't recall which - is supposed to reduce your sex drive. Which is really just a tall story.

Then you have the late 50 when a number of countries were doing experiments with LSD in particular, testing it on soldiers to see if it would increase endurance. We know both USA and UK did this. There's actual youtube clips of some of these test, which to put it carefully were not successful. USA, which has a history of doing dangerous stuff on the quiet, did not always inform the test subjects that they were being test subjects. But this is the same government that brought soldiers to within short range of atomic blasts to see how much radiation they would catch. You can calmly expect that Russia, China, France, Japan and other biggish countries were doing the same.
>>
>>34691763
As someone who eats iseaeli MREs thrice daily
Israeli MREs suck.
>>
>>34692652

Are they still mostly canned tuna and soda powder?
>>
>>34692673
It's like 6 cans of tuna, a can of inedible rice wrapped in vine leaves, and a can of beans in tomato sauce, which are the bad parts.
There's also a can of dried fruit, a can of salted peanuts, a can of weird chocolate paste, a can of chickpeas and a call of halva.
Also we use the larger American can opener.
>>
File: 64018911_p1_master1200.jpg (125KB, 852x735px) Image search: [Google]
64018911_p1_master1200.jpg
125KB, 852x735px
>>34692691
So you basically eat tuna & rice, or beans & rice every single day?
Can Israel not afford something better?
>>
>>34692691

I saw a test of the IA MRE not long ago. The tester was particularly happy with the halva. I was kinda puzzled as to why there was so much tuna - it's protein rich by all means but with little flavoring you really need to be hungry to eat so much of it. Is there something about Israeli food customs that explains why beef or turkey or chicken or even meat pate isn't on the menu?
>>
>>34692641

French here. As far as I know, Pervitin was massively used during the blitz, albeit the german tankists (the main consumers at this time) were not truly aware of the aftereffects. It was a "took this pill to rush like a madman", and it worked, as our already slow as fuck high command couldn't track the panzer moves, and our ground soldiers shat themselves when they saw those same tanks in Sedan, Arras, Boulogne while the frontline was expected to be in fucking Belgium.

Blitz is a tactical opportunity exploited through chemistry to become a winning strat. But it as drawbacks, and one could argue that the german army was simply too exhausted from the overuse and aftereffects (mainly sleep deprivance) to storm Dunkirk, letting the brits GTFO.

And for the 50s, I don't know about French drug-testing on the army. It doesn't mean for shit there wasn't none, of course, but it wasn't used as a large-scale tactical asset, blitz-style, in at least Algeria.
>>
>>34691763
Kinda like the german MRE, they really upped their game. Not sure what changed by now but in the past they had chocolate and hard cookies. Also bread and Cevapcici.

You could make something called "kalte schnauze" which is basically cookie-chocolate-cookie-chocolate and so on. Messy to make because you had to heat the chocolate but absolutely delicious.
>>
Nowadays I am pretty sure every military in the world capable of running an administration know what a good MRE should contain. What it actually contains will be a question of funds and political connection.What the soldier actually eats, in peacetime anyway, are rations close to the expiration rate. I had a few MRE in my army time and they were close to the 25 years max storage mark. And Incredibly dull they were too. Watching the new stuff make me feel like a hobo reading the Ritz menu.
>>
>>34691763
Russian IRPs, french army meal
>>34691961
Loooks like you can use it to repair the doors and locks. Just nail it to something.
>>
>>34692800

The P-38 is perhaps the most utilized improvised tool in history. Back in the day you could repair cars with them if you had to. There is no emergency kit so small that a P-38 should not be part of it.
>>
>>34692360
Thats fair. I hadnt thought od that.
>>
>>34692360
Also, something that is tasty and comforting is gonna help morale up. If it looks and tastes like shit, it's gonna only remind them everything sucks.
>>
>>34692704
They can go home a mile away.
>>
>>34691763
>suck

Some of them are actually good OP.
>>
>>34693115

Absolutely. Older MRE, especially when you go way back, were made not only on a budget also were made to last. Iron ration with bisquits hard as bone because it kept mildew away. Cans, because canned food can last decades. Chocolate 'cake' because the cocoa can last a while too. Sugar cubes and steel hard candy because even shitty storage can't mess them up.

About the most desperate military food I have ever seen was sun flower seeds which the russian soldiers got during the worst period of ww2. As far as I can tell they were simply poured into the soldier's hands in loose weight and he poured it into his pocket. Sun flower seeds DO have some nutritial value like protein and so on but if I got nothing else for a week I'd be considering cannibalism.
>>
MRES are fine theselves and there isn't enough variety hat you don't get too bored with a week in the field. Also if you are getting an MRE resupply and not hot chow at the same time your command hates you or is moto as shit. Compared to other nation I would say the only issue is the size and weight to calorie content. It's honestly not that much energy compared to 24 hour Russian and French stuff but it's only slightly smaller. Also why the fuck is there so much air in MREs?

MRE pros are the heating element is more advance and lighter weight then most and the usability of included items for field expendiant shit. Beverage bags are water proof. MRE spoons are tough to use a sector stakes claymore trip wire and all a manner of stuff. Generally garunteed to fine at least one decent item and the rarer caffeine mints are a treat
>>
File: 51b5ZAb1CbL.jpg (37KB, 400x344px) Image search: [Google]
51b5ZAb1CbL.jpg
37KB, 400x344px
this is the best stuff right here.
>>
>>34693240
I remember reading once that during Stalingrad, there was a whole battalion of Soviet soldiers who's job was to just scour the countryside looking for stinging nettles to make soup and tea.
>>
>>34693249
This is the company that makes US Arctic rations. White bag MREs are just Mountain house
>>
>>34693249
Their granola is in one of the breakfast MREs and it's the shit
>>
>>34693249
I hate those things. I'll eat them if I'm hungry but I prefer MRE food over freeze dried shit anyday.
>>
File: travolta.jpg (134KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
travolta.jpg
134KB, 512x512px
>>34692251
>you're in a position to be concerned with staying alive.
>stayin alive
>stayin alive
ah, ah, ah, ah,
>>
>>34693290

I am slightly dubious. Not at the statement but because they needed every man in the trenches. A penal battalion or some recovering unit would be different of course.

It was the russians of ww2 who found a way to make edible cellulose, by the way. There was hunger and sugar was not obtainable but was still desperately needed, and some chemist solved it.I don't know if that trick has been repeated after ww2 though.
>>
File: stfu_u_dont_no_flavor.jpg (14KB, 355x237px) Image search: [Google]
stfu_u_dont_no_flavor.jpg
14KB, 355x237px
>>34693330
https://youtu.be/HmN-CCMrS1Y
>>
>>34692719
>>34692704
It's just the usual retardation and disconnect of the people in charge. I bet the ones who decided what should be in the ration never actually lived on them.
They used to have meat, but not anymore.
>>
>>34693435
Partially right, The russians started using Stinging nettles as part of the "Tingle пpoвeл" squads, laying down nettles instead of mines to save equipment giving the Germans annoying pains
>>
Canadian IMPs are very good, at one point you could buy the main entrees at MEC

we'd trade 'muricans for MREs case for case in Afghanistan
>>
I've been snacking on a Russian ration all week that I got off eBay, it's pretty good. The goulash was phenomenal, the kasha was pretty good, still have beef stew, minced meat, and fish roe left from it
>>
>>34691763
France
>>
>>34692576
Not really clandestine, but the Wehrmacht and SS used to issue their troops with amphetamines known as Pervitin
>>
>>34692800
>Russian mres are the best
If you like eating mystery meat and pig brains
>>
>>34692175
>barely distinguishable from the military rations of most other modern countries's rations of 2017.
This is beyond wrong.

American rations aren't bad though. Most are pretty good. But eat anything too frequently and you're gonna bitch. And troops love to bitch.
>>
>>34693898

Feel free to mention a few countries whose MREs aren't mostly modern civilian-made foodstuffs in green wrapping.
>>
File: MRE Brownie.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
MRE Brownie.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>34691763
The US has the best, if only because of those brownies.

These fucking brownies are so fucking good. It looks like a shit brick with shit drops, but it TASTES SO FUCKING GOOD

I'll kill a man to get one of these brownies.
>>
>>34693249
These things are bland af but they taste fucking amazing when you're high.
>>
>>34693949
Anything tastes amazing when you're high. You can squirt taco bell sauce on saltine crackers and it'll be the best thing you've ever eaten.

The teriyaki chicken is the only mountain house that's kinda ok tasting to me. The lasagna one is gross as fuck. Also, no matter how long I stir them, I always get a least one lump that didn't rehydrate. Biting into a mouthful of dried food surrounded by wet food is disgusting.
>>
>>34693929
You can buy them a la carte at theepicenter.com.

You're welcome.

t. Guy who eats one every couple days
>>
More importantly. Is there a civvy equivalent to the cracker, vegetable? I used to love those things so damn much and would love to find something close at the grocery store.
>>
File: Steve Thomas (Steve1989).jpg (251KB, 810x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Steve Thomas (Steve1989).jpg
251KB, 810x1080px
New Steve when?
I need my MRE Jesus fix.
>>
>>34694095
Aldis has a verity box of assorted crackers, and they have a similar taste to MRE vegetable crackers.
>>
>>34692174
Wait, he does?
>>
>>34694359
No he doesn't a guy posted a story from /k/ in the comments of one of his videos and Steve didn't recognize it.
>>
>>34692194
Anything out of the ordinary increases morale because you get used to all the choices. And you don't often get the time to prepare them as well as you would like.

So when you're sitting in some shitty foreign barracks with wooden slats and no mattress, and time to trade and talk shit, all you can rave about is how the french guys had this neat thing with ostrich meat and pate as a snack and you haven't seen it before.

Murrican rations actually have the most variety. And the heaters are neat. They're only just being trialed where I served in the last year, we used to all carry gas cookers and frying pans with the handles cut off, heximine in a pinch but that was better for drying out your clothes.
>>
>>34694550
He does have an Ivan the Remover patch though, I wouldn't be surprised if if lurks occasionally but isnt a 24/7 autist like most of us.
>>
Because U.S made usually means junk.
>>
>>34693923
Some places are changing green wrapping for familiar brands. It's good for morale. Britain has done it for years now.
>>
File: s196571414477645806_p73_i2_w329.jpg (30KB, 329x475px) Image search: [Google]
s196571414477645806_p73_i2_w329.jpg
30KB, 329x475px
all i know is i got one of these buckets for $2 at a garage sale and overpaid. all i've tried is the western stew but it's actively bad, and i'll eat pretty much anything. just one of the bad flavors i can identify seems to be from the high quantities of calcium phosphate in all the meals. it is technically a consumable substance but tastes like chemical fertilizer, which it is. mineral enriched.
>>
>>34691763
Buddy's sister is in the Army. Bought a case of MRE's from her. Every meal had cheez-its and pretzels as its snack. I am sick to death of cheez its and pretzels.
>>
>>34694685

Heh. I am pretty sure the cases are meant to be distributed to a unit, not a single person. So on day two you'd normally get your MRE from a different crate.
>>
>>34693949
>These things are bland af
Might be using too much water.
>they taste fucking amazing when you're high.
That they do. Boil some water, pour into bag, smoke a bowl, 10 minutes later you have a nice hot bag of munch (if you remember that you've made it that is)
>>
>>34693998
should MRE's come with a before meal joint?
>>
>>34694265
No they don't. Disregard me, I smoke cocks
>>
>>34694705
I think it might've just been the brand. Can't remember the name of it, and I'm at work so can't check. But anyways, I've ordered cases of MRE's online before and they usually have a pretty decent variety when it comes to snacks and what not. Like one meal will have skittles and pretzels while another from the same box has a candy bar and trail mix. The only variation in these last ones I bought was the entrees, and sometimes it would have peanut M&M's instead of regular.
>>
File: Walther_P38_(6971798779) (1).jpg (103KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
Walther_P38_(6971798779) (1).jpg
103KB, 1200x797px
>>34692195
Where is the other P-38?
>>
>>34695261
Pff, the P-38 would beat that no problem.
>>
File: suchary_san,356x440px.png (292KB, 440x356px) Image search: [Google]
suchary_san,356x440px.png
292KB, 440x356px
>>34693929
Fuck brownies.
>>
>>34691763
The Korean Marines had some very well desgined MRE, and the food was fucking good to. The only downfall was they had like literally two different meals so they were more than happy to trade for ours
>>
File: Nice.jpg (45KB, 404x469px) Image search: [Google]
Nice.jpg
45KB, 404x469px
>>
nice hiss
>>
>>34693657
Probably something to do with cost too. All the items in the ration are dirt cheap and within jewish dietary needs so meh fuck it, our troops are tough they won't mind eating the same exact thing over and over and over again. Let's use that money saved on new toys.
>>
>>34691763
Norwegians have the best
>>
>>34692800
Russian MREs look fucking disgusting from what I've seen. The French ones look amazing.
>>
>>34696228
The Russian MREs Steve has had looked pretty good to me.
>>
>>34696242
Too much canned mystery meat for me, that's just personal preference though. I can't stand canned meat. If I was starving of course I would eat it, but if I had to eat it on a regular basis I would not be happy.
>>
>>34696345
Well, my favorite breakfast meat by far is spam. So maybe that has something to do with it.
>>
French ones are the best nothing compares to them. US ones are good too
>>
>>34692183
Might be able to find some civvie ones.

People with celiac aren't allowed in mil so they aren't gonna cater to that.
>>
>>34691763
>make a ration for Americans
most of America's cullinary traditions are terrible, most new troops don't know what good food tastes like, and nobody in the government can decide what hodgepodge of crap to throw together that will appeal to the hundred different ethnicities that are currently serving. So instead of "traditional meal" you get mac and cheese with a ham log in bbq sauce with crackers and orange drink #51. Variety in the US is a gastrointestinal minefield.
>>
>>34696651
i just checked the fema sopako ones i've got, they're all pretty pasta heavy.
>>
>>34697023
That's fucking stupid. They should just hire somebody who operates a diner to tell them how to make general non-ethnic American food.
>>
>>34692183
https://mre-meals.net/mre-meals/product/gluten-free-menu-case-of-12-mre-with-heaters-m018hgf/
>>
File: death.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
death.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>34697147
which is how you end up with the four fingers of death
>>
>>34697182
Make and package the dogs properly and there'd be absolutely nothing wrong with a beans and hotdogs dish. Canned process meat with canned beans in a tomato-based sauce with brown sugar and maybe some bacon flavoring. That would work very well.
>>
>>34691763
MRE'S are mde to go anywhere deal with any climate plus we are airmobile alot so dont forget that I wish we had cans cuase MRE'S are stragiht evil
>>
>>34697201
Cans were phased out because they're too difficult for women to open.
>>
>>34697201
they deal with temperature extremes pretty poorly
>>
File: 1397478791269.jpg (21KB, 427x245px) Image search: [Google]
1397478791269.jpg
21KB, 427x245px
Has the veggy omelette been banished to the shadow realm yet
>>
>>34698422
ya its been kill for a few years now
pork sausage and white gravy has taken its place as worse MRE now
>>
>>34698544
How do you make sausage and gravy disgusting?
>>
>>34698579
>How do you make sausage and gravy disgusting?

Start with really shitty sausage, then add really, really shitty gravy.
>>
File: vetnam-ration.jpg (82KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
vetnam-ration.jpg
82KB, 1000x750px
>>34697198
Cans are also heavy and noisy when carried by troops
>>
File: russian-ration.jpg (44KB, 431x350px) Image search: [Google]
russian-ration.jpg
44KB, 431x350px
>>34696345
>>34696242
>>
File: American Made.png (2MB, 668x936px) Image search: [Google]
American Made.png
2MB, 668x936px
Hey man, look what we got today you know
Hey man, oh baby, get on a tray, I gotta
Hey man, I gotta open this can
This yellow bulged spread
Is deadly to any man

Hey man, my ration's insane
Hey man, so rancid it causes pain
Hey man, well she's a total spam can
She said she had to heat it but she... then she...

Oh don't burst on me man
Cause you can't afford the ticket
I'm back on Botulin City
Oh don't burst on me man
Cause you ain't got time to sniff it
You know my Botulin City
Is outta sight...it's all nice

Hey man, Wardog, don't be unkind, go away
Hey man, Dairy Shakes so sublime, no way
Hey man, coffee instant here
There's only smokes for one and here she comes
Here she comes

Oh don't burst on me man
Cause you can't afford the ticket
I'm back on Botulin City
Oh don't burst on me man
Cause you ain't got time to sniff it
You know my Botulin City
Is outta sight...it's all nice

A botulin City, a botulin City
I'm back on botulin City
botulin City

Ohhh, nice hiss thank you miss!
>>
>>34691763
Korean MRE's
inb4 puppies in a crate
>>
The food in the Russian ones never looks too appetizing but their desserts are always 11/10
>>
>>34698579

>how do you make sausage and gravy disgusting?

Allow me to inform you [I got this menu from a packing company called Eversafe, was severely under packed btw, no drink mix or cheese spread or anything]:
First, take a very small amount of """"sausage"""" that is small, shaped irregularly, probably made of suspicious meats, and has the consistency of rubber. Insert into green pouch, ensuring that it makes up precisely 20%of the planned contents of the green pouch
Next, fill the rest of it with """"""""""gravy"""""""""" (basically what looks and acts like water with white grease in it... that's probably what it is desu). Done.
>>
>>34696016

Oh shit where can I buy that
>>
>>34692183
Put your glock to your head . god is punishing you. Gluten bitch
>>
>eating MREs when you can get fresh chow from the galley
Oh wait lol
>>
File: IMG_0733.jpg (311KB, 2040x1070px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0733.jpg
311KB, 2040x1070px
Japanese MREs are pretty tight. All of the main ingredients in a JGSDF MRE you can get at 7-11 which is awesome.
>>
>>34697198
>>34697198
Just give them a can of fucking heinz beans & sausage.
>>
>>34701225
Good call.
>>
>>34701138
>All of the main ingredients in a JGSDF MRE you can get at 7-11 which is awesome.
So.... ramen, nachos and cola?
>>
>>34694114
how is steve so aesthetically perfect?
>>
>>34701138
after seeing steve and rc gusto eat the jdsf mres i want one really bad
i love plain rice so that shit sounds extra good to me
>>
>>34694114
Holy cow, where is that picture from? That's fantastic.
>>
>>34701321

Ikr, I saved it, looks like OC
>>
>>34701329
>>34694114
Found it: https://www.ft.com/content/fe9e50ae-e74d-11e6-967b-c88452263daf
>"‘I eat vintage military rations’
Steven Thomas shares his fascination for eating ‘what heroes eat’, even though the food is decades old"

>Yes, I’ve had food poisoning. The worst was in 2015, when I got E coli poisoning from an in-date beef and barley ration from Ukraine. I was admitted to the emergency room for four hours. I have no insurance, so it was a $15,531 medical bill. I don’t talk about it much because I don’t want to make Ukrainian people upset. It’s not their fault. There were a lot of problems with that batch, but they’ve changed the design since then.
Holy fuck.

>I don't talk about nearly being killed by a Ukrainian ration because I don't want to make Ukrainians feel bad
He's such a fantastic dude.
>>
>>34701367
>http://www.gq.com/story/steve1989-eats-50-year-old-rations

I had no idea Steve was getting this much attention for his work. I thought he was just kind of a /k/ meme. I'm so happy for him, he deserves the recognition.
>>
>>34691961
Miami TSA confiscated mine... Its apparently capable of bringing down a plane
>>
[spoiler]The only thing i don't like about Steve's videos is the creepy music at the start[/spoiler]
>>
>>34701388
YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH, THAT MUSIC SOUNDS GREAT
>>
Argentina.
>>
>>34701388
I love that music. I love his intros and outros, they're aesthetic as fuck.
>>
>>34701388
i find them soothing and a great intro to his gentle styled videos
>>
File: 1486522180411.png (220KB, 370x349px) Image search: [Google]
1486522180411.png
220KB, 370x349px
>>34701415
>tfw steve ate the brazilian ration wrong
>>
>>34696221
our ration has a freeze dried meal that you can compare to mountain house basically, works pretty good

the company that makes them also sell them on the civilian market as hiking food, it's the same food in different wrapping and can be found in sport/outdoor shops in Norway
>>
>>34701430
how?
>>
>>34701430
How so?
>>
File: farofa.jpg (51KB, 370x278px) Image search: [Google]
farofa.jpg
51KB, 370x278px
>>34701443
>>34701445
The flour he mixed with water was supposed to be eaten with the beans, it probably had no taste.
>>
>>34691763
>So /k/ which country has the best rations or MREs?

Historically?

Up to the 90's French/Belgian rations contained a small bottle of table wine and had good food (with an actual tiny stove).
>>
What was the first packaged rations? Was it the canned food used by Napoleon's army?

I wonder if there are any extant examples of that for Steve to check out.
>>
>>34701455
ah ok
ill have to watch this again
>>
>>34701471
>steve digs up ancient egyptian tomb honey
>nice
>>
>>34701476
>amazing flavor, great spoon but not as good as the us mre spoon
>>
File: 23.png (139KB, 893x305px) Image search: [Google]
23.png
139KB, 893x305px
>eats hardtack from the civil war
>'tastes like formaldehyde'
steve stop i dont want you to die
>>
File: ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg (29KB, 306x240px) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs43cddec7e2b26.jpg
29KB, 306x240px
>>34691926
>>34691933
His upload schedule consists of gorging on 3 or 4 MREs then crawling into a cistern somewhere until he emerges from his cocoon a month and a half later hungry and ready to make another video
>everyone waiting for him to upload
>>
Hullo everyone this is Gusto and I have another review for you today
>>
File: nice.png (236KB, 479x647px) Image search: [Google]
nice.png
236KB, 479x647px
Nice!
>>
>>34692576
Why be clandestine? Here's a fun fact: Syrian gov is biggest producer of a Russian designed amphetimine called caposet. It's like five bucks a pill ALL over Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria and can keep you up for two days. Don't need food, barely feel pain, and that little voice that tells you not to do dumb shit like pick up IED's with your hands or charge a fortified position goes away.

It's use is quite widespread amoungst all combatants out there.
>>
Reddit was mean to Steve. I'll never forgive them for this.
>>
File: 1501077435034.gif (1MB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1501077435034.gif
1MB, 450x450px
>>34701599
IT WAS DUSTY FUCKING FLOUR OF WHICH THERE ARE TENS OF THOUSANDS ALL OVER THE PLACE AND HE DONATED MOST OF IT
>>
>>34694019
Are these the same style / items the military uses? If not, is there anywhere to get the legit ones?
>>
>>34701381

Gonna need to check your asshole, sir.
>>
>>34701599

Reddit is mean to everyone.

4chan is mostly only mean to people who deserve it.
>>
>>34691763
Hands down the best rations I've seen are the Slovenians. There food is so good. It's all brand name hiking food packs that you could buy at like Mec. One of the Slovenians I was talking to sold his extra ration meals after an exercise for 1300$
>>
>>34701768
4chan is good people, because being bad people is mainstream. In this current year, being a good person is the last way to rebel.
>>
>>34692251
Guys eat MREs for months on end sometimes and war is mostly boredom, so ya, it does matter.
>>
>>34692450
I'm not a huge fan of the lard they pack shit in though.
>>
>>34693800
That depends if you like salmon. Also the hamburger is gross as fuck. Something other nations have that we don't is a way to heat the ration included inside it. The Spanish have a tiny stove, the Slovenians have ration heater bags that work really well and it even comes with a pouch of water so you don't have to use yours.
>>
>>34697220

Cans were phased out because they were bulky, heavy, potentially noisy and insufficiently resistant to rust. They also leave a larger amount of garbage. Under cold temperatures the contents will freeze; by comparison you can put a plastic pack closer to your body heat. Try that with a metal can.

Troops in Vietnam had fairly small and already very full patrol bags. Finding room for more than one day's worth of canned C-rations was so difficult that they resorted to putting the cans in spare socks and hanging the socks outside their equipment.
>>
>>34701381

Well, after knowing that terrorists took over at least one plane with only a break-blade cutter I can see the TSA being reasonable to take away a P-38.
>>
>>34701457

Meh, lots of rations used to have a tiny stove included. Essentially some sort of jet fuel paste in a can.
>>
Hey /k/ don't normally visit this board but recently I've been extending the length and increasing the difficutly of the hikes I've gone on and the pb&j with water just isn't enough anymore. I feel like I've been hit by a truck after hiking for a solid 8 hours even after eating a few cliff bars and a sandwhich. Are MREs a good replacement for my hiking chow? I bought one just to try and my buddy recommended a 'decent flavor' (he likes weird shit so I took it with a grain of salt) but it it what I'm looking for? It just seems really convenient, and I don't mind a little gross food.
>>
>>34702223

8 hours of physical activity drains you of a lot of energy. The question is, are you up for heating up some food in the middle of the trek or would you rather rely on cold food?

For cold food I'd suggest a couple of well cooked egg, a bit of hard sausage or some hard cheese. Raisins, nuts. Stuff with protein, but also some stuff with quick carbs. None of that stuff will fill you or your backpack up too badly.
>>
>>34702223
For reference I got the "Southwest style beef and Black Beans with sauce". I already inspected the full contents of the bag and found Turkey Nuggets, Apple Pieces in Spiced Sauce, Mocha Cappuccino powder, A Cipoltle Tortillas, Cheese Spread, A frosted brownd sugar Pastry, and a Raspberry Beverage powder. Checking the date code has them all processed late 2014.

>>34702250
Thanks for the advice. I already pack some dry snacks for my treks, as in the summer heat its almost required to take frequent breaks for water and getting breath back. What I'm looking for is something that equates to a 'lunch'. I've prepared my own meals but I'm tempted by the MREs compactness and diversity, despite its infamy.
>>
>>34701768
>same website that posted the gory death of Nicole Catosaur to her parents
>same website that bullied a teen to suicide
>same website that trolled the myspace of a recently deceased kid
Stop it.
>>
>>34702261
>same website that constantly fights for truth and justice against cultural marxism
>same website that constantly exposes the lies and criminality of corrupt politicians
Stop it.
>>
>>34701598
>five bucks a pill

That sounds extremely expensive, you know.
>>
>>34702256

Not talking down MREs. If I didn't like them I wouldn't be in this thread:) But I don't know anything about you except you some times trek hours a day. That could mean you are lean and mean and have a great combustion, but you could also be a lardass with the willpower to complete the trek in spite of shivering by the time you reach goal. Or perhaps the reason you are worn down by the time you arrive is that your trek climate is so warm and humid that dehydration is the real issue, which means you should focus on that special water I can't recall the name of which is often found in hot climate MREs.
>>
File: Dude brah nice.jpg (83KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Dude brah nice.jpg
83KB, 960x540px
Post rare Steves.
>>
>>34696206
The red edition (or was it the blue one?) was my favorite, you know the one with canned pineapple
>>
File: 5352.jpg (2MB, 2869x1614px) Image search: [Google]
5352.jpg
2MB, 2869x1614px
>>34702316
No I understand. I'm definantly a fitter person, last I checked I was 170 at 6' 2". I'll attribute a decent chunk of my efforts to willpower but once you reach the top you can't give up can you?

Climate I should clarify on. It was Western Montana, up to a peak near Bozeman. The elevation gain was roughly six thousand feet and 14 miles both ways. Once I cleared the trees it started to cool down, both from the winds and the height. I planned ahead by bringing colder weather gear (down vest, pull over, gloves, cotton lined pants) but the winds were very strong, so the heat became a non-issue. I plan on remeding my water situation my next hike by using a 2-L water bladder in my new backpack along with my 1-L thermos, as last time I reached the peak and had barely quarter bottle left.

I didn't enjoy it much but as the place was popular for family hikers (who don't go anywhere as high as I did) there were plenty of people to bum for water. What truly hit me we just a complete deadness that I felt like I was a ghost. Someone was nice enough to fill my bottle half way and I drank most of that but by the time I was almost down I could barely feel my legs and just felt like I was only running on sheer willpower, which I understand that while impressive is bad for your health.

Pic related is the summit view.
>>
>>34702373
Careful while packing extra water. Its good to have a fair amount but the more you bring is more weight you have to carry.
>>
>>34701367
>I was admitted to the emergency room for four hours. I have no insurance, so it was a $15,531 medical bill.
>murica
>>
>>34702373

Aha. Elevation. Which mean you was burning carbohydrates like a motherfucker. Been in that kind of place, and felt it. That's comparable to using one of those leg-focused gym machines for eight hours straight and a couple of energy bars and a sandwich would be nowhere near your energy replenishing needs. You probably also had lactic acid issues by the time you got down, in addition to all the water lost by sweating.

So yeah. You should definitely have a proper meal half way and then an MRE starts having a meaning. Even compared to regular food, because it is more weight efficient. Cold or hot is less important in that climate but with your body running on max like that it needs something with more juice, carbs and protein. Walk like a trapper, eat like a trapper, and with good conscience.
>>
>>34702419
So pack two meals? You say halfway have a proper meal, and then 'an MRE starts having meaning'. So pack something with a good amount of energy and carbs, like some Gatorade, peanuts, raisins, and my PB&J, then have the MRE when I reach the top?
>>
File: 1493607882993.png (524KB, 519x562px) Image search: [Google]
1493607882993.png
524KB, 519x562px
>Eat an MRE yesterday cause theres no food in the house
>Its from 2008 or something
>Brownie was punctured and tasted spoiled
>Beef ravioli smelled so bad just threw it away
>Cheese spread hung in the back of my throat for the rest of the day
>Cracker was okay
>Beef jerky crumbled apart in mouth but otherwise tasted normal

Good thing I didnt save it for the apocalypse like intended
>>
>>34702479
I honestly don't think there's any food that can last 'until the apocalypse'. Unless its air tight vacuum sealed in a freezer or some shit, its going to spoil eventually.
>>
>>34702487

some canned food , can probably last for a decade
>>
>>34702517
So you buy some cnaned food and toss it in your bunker. When the nukes hit what do you eat after ten-fifteen years? Seems like you're shit out of luck.
>>
File: FRED.jpg (246KB, 1205x933px) Image search: [Google]
FRED.jpg
246KB, 1205x933px
>>34691961
sorry bud ours comes with a spoon
>>
>>34702522
>When the nukes hit what do you eat after ten-fifteen years?
survivors
>>
>>34702538
Well, they'll probably be dead by then, unless they all have their own survival bunker with 15 years of canned food. You're probably going to need to do some hunting/gathering. Hope you got a big gun.
>>
>Brit
Tasty meals but the drink powder makes you shit
>>
>>34702568
Colorful! Also, isn't shitting a good thing, since MRE's make you constipated?
>>
>>34702432

If you are walking in a factory - hereabouts anyway - you start the early day with a breakfast. Couple of hours in you have a coffee break, maybe a cookie or an apple, then couple hours later it's lunch time. Then you have a proper sandwich, or dinner leftovers. One of the factories I work at even had a heated lunch box cabinet! Then a couple hours later you have another cup of coffe, work two more hours and then it is time to go home for dinner. With varying work days minor changes apply but that's a work day where you mainly stand and steer machines or carry stuff now and then.

That's a lot less energy burning and sweat inducing than eight hours of elevated walking.

Consider how energy burning works. Gee, I had something left for the wasted gym memberships after all! Once you start your activity of proper burning, like walking briskly or uphill, you burn the carbs in your digestion system for about 25 minutes. Which is why a warm up session is generally that long. After 25 minutes your body switches to bun stored energy, meaning the fat on your body. But that doesn't last forever either, because eventually your body try to save energy mode - however, long before that happens you run out of more complicated stuff. Weary muscles demand protein. Your skin and flesh demands more water to replenish what is gone. You start feeling the need for salt, which your body needs to retain the water you are currently sweating out. Raisins and peanuts are healthy snacks but very compact; your body needs some juicy food too for your stomach to keep digesting properly. So yes to the sandwich, and consider a banana too. Bring a bit more more light snacks than you plan on eating, and too much water can be poured out. Same with food. You plan for the trip, and you plan for the contigencies of shit happens. Not by doubling your supplies but by being generous. A few hard sweets can make the difference between going home and having to sleep under open sky.
>>
>>34702517

I have had a number of army MREs with cans that were 24 years old. Meat was fine. Well, it was disgusting but it was like that when the can was new too.
>>
>>34692174
What no huh?
>>
File: Steve doing his thing.jpg (56KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Steve doing his thing.jpg
56KB, 960x540px
DUDE! RANCID!
>>
>>34692175
Haha have you had italian rations?
>>
>>34692691
>>34692704
>>34692719
sounds like somebody got too much tuna
>>
>>34691763
Russian rations are best rations, the older model is best taste too, not new shit for gay men.
>>
>>34702979

No. But I can read.

http://www.mreinfo.com/international-rations/italian-combat-rations/

If you like rice and pasta and other things that are heavy on starch then it certainly looks palateable. If you are going to carry two days' worth of that ration I hope you have a horse. How are Italian forces on strenuous marches, again? Them see any real warfare recently?
>>
>>34691926
He's hybernating
>>
>>34703018

Tuna is about the cheapest canned protein you can get. And the cans are perfect meal sized. But without some decent mealmaking it is like biting into a soft plank.
>>
File: feels.jpg (55KB, 836x902px) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
55KB, 836x902px
>>34691763
Here in Chile we don't even get MREs, we were lucky to get actual meat or canned vegetables many of which weren't even fresh.

I remember one time in the 1st Artillery Regiment, all we had to eat out in the cold desert for a few weeks was a few apples that were already ripe, and new supplies weren't coming for some time. It was hard man, but hey the Soltam was at least fun.
>>
>>34703042
did you have anything to add to it like eggs or mayo to make a tuna sandwich?
>>
>>34701367
Jesus fuckin Christ America, I absolutely love your country but you need to get your shit together. 15k bucks for treating food poisoning is extortion
>>
>>34703063

What? I am surprised. I thought Chile had one of the more modern South American armies.
>>
>>34703071

You probably want the Israeli dude. Here in my country it's not in MREs but the shops sell canned tuna for 50 cents and up. And at home I can use tuna in salads or with chopped tomatoes and so on. So I keep some cans in my emergency supplies. But 6 cans a day? Only at gunpoint.
>>
File: zzzzz.jpg (109KB, 338x507px) Image search: [Google]
zzzzz.jpg
109KB, 338x507px
>>34703034
What you ah don't likah my mama's pasta?
I tell you she makes the best linguine and primo you've ever seen, her sauce is like no other I swear to the lord you ain't ever taste nothin like it, or I cut up your face.
>>
>>34703098

Pasta is yummy. It is also pure starch carbs, of which a body should not have too much per day. In Italy I hear dinner can be hours long and full of fresh vegetables. Under field conditions that fresh part won't be on the menu.
>>
>>34703087
yes, but that is in South America, and plus the government doesn't see us as people.

We do our job and leave without a single bit of complaint or else.
Sure we have nice weapons and such, but our battle rifle was cheap as could be until recently
>>
>>34703131
Dude, even we Brazilians get MREs now, you gotta get ex military personel to bitch to your government about this.
>>
>>34703153
Well I mean we weren't exactly the top of the line or most important role, and this was in 2014 too.
>>
>>34703131

See? It boggles my mind. I thought the military as right on the top of every south american country's priorities. Didn't you guys have a lot of American equipment and backing?
>>
>>34702528
You mean the device that Australians call "Fuckin Ridiculous Eating Device"

Besides, nothing is better than the brown MRE spoon
>>
>>34703079
>what is Big Pharma
>What is the Medical-Industrial-Complex
>>
>>34692251
I have absolutely zero idea about being enlisted, being deployed, the military, or anything even close to what I'm trying to talk about: the post

I bet you would rack up headshots all day huh if you could hold back from punching someone in the face for yelling at you
>>
>>34702568

>drink powders make you shit

Used too. You shit normally now on rations, only, for some reason, your shit has an orange colour. No idea why.
>>
File: 1497110210906.jpg (34KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497110210906.jpg
34KB, 720x720px
>>34701599
>>
>>34703624

Normally means there are fats/aminoacidominsomethings in the food that your body has been unable to process and so passed on. That food has long shelf life for a reason.
>>
>>34703218
Equipment can't replace the soulless assholes in the brass.
>>
>>34703712

So, corrupt bosses selling army supplies to private companies then?
>>
>>34702568
Those are some neat matches.
>>
>>34703729

Storm matches. Will burn until they slowly burn out even in some rain and wind.
>>
>>34702479
>doesn't look shit up

Storage Temperature Shelf Life
120° F (49°C) 1 month
110° F (43°C) 5 months
100° F (37°C) 22 months
90° F (32°C) 55 months
80° F (27°C) 76 months
70° F (21°C) 100 months
60° F (15°C) 130 months +
>>
>>34702383
he eats thing that shouldn't be eaten, should everyone else be responsible for paying for the results?
>>
>>34703745
Wish American mres had those. We just get a book of shit paper matches.
>>
>>34701664
yes

>>34702223
you'd probably be better off with dehydrated food, mres are pretty heavy for what you get even if you field strip them beforehand.

>>34702487
hard white wheat will last a really long time
>>
>>34703271

Big Pharma got big for a reason. USA chose a funding system where you pay low taxes (compared to Europe) but have to pay much of your own health costs. I will assume the government meant well at the time. But what it means is that the medical institutions must take out all their costs by making the patient pay. For those with decent incomes the only way to prepare for illness is to take out insurance. Such a system does not even out the costs and it also does not motivate anyone, neither insurance companies nor health providers nor government to keep the costs down. Gods help you Americans who get really sick.
>>
File: tridium spurdo.jpg (126KB, 758x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tridium spurdo.jpg
126KB, 758x1024px
>>34703792

He's a poor example anyhow. Saying that everyone who can't afford their medical care out of pocket is similar to that guy is as much a misrepresentation as if I said that all of the people who can't pay out of pocket are all orphans with cancer.

But wait what the fuck are we doing arguing about this on /k/ fug time for tridium spurd :DDDD
>>
>>34703792
Except in this case it was an in-date ration
>>
>>34703968
>I will assume the government meant well at the time
hah. follow the money.
>>
>>34703966

Hard white wheat, rice, honey, sugar. Stuff that can't spoil if stored properly. Dried yellow and green peas and dried beans are long lasting too. But you'll also need food that provides fat, protein, salt etc to be able to live on this over time.
>>
>>34704022

'At the time' is somewhere back in the 19th century for the Americans, I think.
>>
File: Swiss 24h MRE.jpg (192KB, 555x827px) Image search: [Google]
Swiss 24h MRE.jpg
192KB, 555x827px
>>34691763
Don't have a picture for the full meal one so have the 24h pack
>>
>>34704004
I mean, yeah, that's what he said. What's your point?
>>
>>34704047
1. that would be the 1800s
2. People back then weren't holy angels who didn't care about money
>>
>>34704070

Surprisingly little dinner stuff. I can only see the chili con carne as a main meal. I can't see what the white blocks are supposed to be.
>>
>>34704093

Not looking for angels. My point was that there wasn't any big pharma at the time.
>>
>>34692641
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-rWnQphPdQ
>>
>>34701599
reddit is savage to anyone with a hobby
have any sort of standards and they dogpile you and claim youre why the hobby will never be mainstream and if its not mainstream its shit
>>
>>34704120
The two upper right blocks are packets of military biscuits (that's their name). It's like Tuc but a lot more dry
>>
>>34693835
A whole week for one ration... scary...
>>
>>34701138

Looks like generic microwaveable rice and 50p tier sweet and sour sauce.

I'd rather just have some oily mackerel with my rice and some dried fruit on the side than that mess.
>>
>>34704040
when you mix legumes and grains you get a complete protein, it's how vegetarians manage to survive.

>>34704004
there is inherent risk to eating military food, dog food, exported chines food, it's just how it is. no fda, no guarantees.
>>
>>34702528
>>>34691961
>sorry bud ours comes with a spoon

> putting a can opener in your mouth instead of squeezing from bag.
>>
>>34692641
http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v02/n1001/a05.html?5235
>>
>>34704004

Except that rations aren't approved by any sort of external government body. They are on the market because they are A) running out of date, B) unsuitable for their soldiers or C) replaced en masse.

Buying them is a risk no matter what because it's either dated surplus or spoiled stock which Steve found out the hard way.

I'd be dubious about any surplus stock from a non-standard nation outside of obvious foodstuff trade partners and definitely wouldn't risk it from somewhere like China or Ukraine, where there's no chance at rebuttal if it goes bad.

It's also why the majority of international ration sellers do so on the grounds the ration is purely a historical item and not for consumption.
>>
>>34704339
>http://www.mapinc.org/drugnews/v02/n1001/a05.html?5235

Thank you. I have seen the skiing part a hundred times but the rest was new to me.
>>
>>34704070
What's in the cylinder shaped ammo tin? 11 rounds of ?
>>
Should I stockpile rations or continue with spam?
>>
>>34704930
It's GP11, a.k.a. Swiss 7.5x55 millimeters
>>
>>34704930
>>34705098
Also it's not 11 rounds, it's the name of the round. Like the Swiss 5.56 is called GP90 and Swiss 9 is called GP41
>>
>>34702281
>>
>>34694684
as a follow up i just made the pancakes, they weren't bad considering the mix was 8 years old and the bag had a tear in it.
>>
File: cuck hunt.jpg (653KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
cuck hunt.jpg
653KB, 1536x2048px
>>34702281
t.
>>
>>34705093
for what? emergencies? probably best to have what you normally eat in large quantities that you cycle through oldest to newest. i have a few months of dried shelf stable food that i don't have to put any further effort into that'll just be there if i get hit by a hurricane or tornado.
>>
>>34702297
MREs are like 30-50 bucks a meal, so not really. Especially since you only take one every second day
>>
>>34705098
>>34705116
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>34705204
You're welcome mate
>>
File: babby3.jpg (13KB, 305x303px) Image search: [Google]
babby3.jpg
13KB, 305x303px
>>34705200
>MREs are 30-50 dollars a meal
No
>>
File: 1497055720349.jpg (73KB, 720x648px) Image search: [Google]
1497055720349.jpg
73KB, 720x648px
>>34703117
>mfw
>>34703792
Problem is more that a culture and some antibiotics shouldn't cost 15k. They charge that because they can, not because that's what it should cost.
>>
>>34691961
P38's
>>
>>34698921
C-rats it's been awhile
>>
>>34702528
so-weet
>>
>>34702487
Anything fermented
>>
>>34703792
You realise that with insurance that is already exactly how it works
>>
>>34692219
>Yes, French and Italian rations have more 'morale boosters' like tiny amounts of alcohol.

RCIRs do not contain alcohol.
>>
>>34701507
Did you take into account, the amount of time it takes when he's constipated from the MRE's, and the recovery time when his anus tears and bleeds from shitting them out????
>>
>>34705179
>more than 1lb of grain a day
Is this really necessary? Do different grains have different caloric densities?
>>
>>34705200
>MREs are like 30-50 bucks a meal,
Maybe if you're buying them one at a time off Amazon?
>>
>>34692183
Daily reminder that celiac 'disease' is fake, and nothing more than a fad for people who are otherwise so devoid of personality that they have to invent a ridiculous dietary restriction to make themselves feel special.

Find a real hobby.
>>
>>34705179
>Cooking Oil, salt, powdered milk, legumes and grains with sugar or honey
what the fuck are you supposed to make with this? The only thing I can think of is tasty cereal with milk, honey and legumes/grains

And TEN quarts of cooking oil? What the shit, not everything needs to be deep fried, speaking of which, what the fuck are they supposed to be used for? frying barley patties in a pan?
>>
>>34705649
Don't confuse people who fake being sick with people who actually have a gluten allergy. Gluten is the latest Dr. Oz hippy vegan thing to blame for all your problems, but some people legitimately can't have it.
>>
>>34705200
you are off by a factor of ten if you are talking about US dollars.

>>34705354
they cost that broadly because of disconnect between supply and demand caused by insurance

>>34705480
yes, i don't like insurance conceptually

>>34705531
seem like more than you'd eat?
http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p920.htm
>>
>>34701367
>I don't want to upset Ukrainian people
He's a c ration pecan roll, too good for this world, too pure.
>>
>>34705674
grind the grain into flour and bake with it
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (380KB, 878x501px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2.png
380KB, 878x501px
>>34698932
>>
>>34705739
>seem like more than you'd eat?
It seems like a bit much but I guess it makes sense if you're eating only grains. Ideally you'd add something else in (like the legumes) and not have to eat as much grain.
>>
>>34705739
>yes, i don't like insurance conceptually
So you would just have everyone pay for everything out of pocket?
>>
>>34705769
i think part of the problem is you can't physically digest all the nutrition in grains that raw, you need to eat that plus the beans and you'll loose weight until your colon expands iirc. read the link it's a fun book.
>>
>>34705807
maybe? i'm self insured in lots of areas, but i've also received pretty big checks from insurance companies. i'd like to choose doctors with a range of prices that have some relation to their skill level rather than be told that every doctor is the best one ever. there are significant problems with the insurance industry as it stands in the US, it the reason health care cost are out of control. i also probably should have specified health insurance, property/life/casualty work pretty well for the most part.
>>
>>34705823
Who said anything about raw? Even if worst comes to worst, sprout them with some water.
>>
>>34705868
>Whole-kernel grains or soybeans cannot be eaten in sufficient quantities to maintain vigor and health if merely boiled or parched. A little boiled whole-kernel wheat is a pleasantly chewy breakfast cereal, but experimenters at Oak Ridge got sore tongues and very loose bowels when they tried to eat enough boiled whole-kernel wheat to supply even half of their daily energy needs. Some pioneers, however, ate large quantities of whole-kernel wheat without harmful results after boiling and simmering it for many hours. Even the most primitive peoples who subsist primarily on grains grind or pound them into a meal or paste before cooking. (Rice is the only important exception.)

i meant not cooking it for "many hours" or grinding it into a fine paste
>>
>>34703109
In the US, store-brand tuna is approaching the price of store-brand sardines.

The name-brand sardines are still ridiculously overpriced, though.
>>
>>34702522
If you aren't prepared to survive self sufficiently within 5 years after the bombs fall prepping for that is a waste of time and money, which isn't a bad thing in particular because focusing on 3 month lapses of services is probably more realistic.

The worst of the fallout will fade after a year or so, if you really want to wait maybe 5 years.
>>
>>34701367
>a routine lab diagnosis, a four hour IV drip and a week of Amoxicillin

>15k

Jesus christ what the actual fuck. So glad my coverage through work is only 20$ a month.
>>
>>34705934
A: Fallout isn't a huge problem if you're not fairly close to a target.
B: Most fallout will fade after a few weeks
>>
>>34705956
If insurance didn't exist and everybody had to pay cash, that bill would have been much less. Hospitals charge obscene rates as part of a negotiation tactic with insurance companies. Those obscene rates are more like the hospitals "initial offer" to the insurance company, who inevitably argues them down to something much less but still frankly absurd.

Sometimes if you tell the hospital you can only pay cash, you can get them to give you a better deal. Sometimes.

The whole system is fucking retarded.
>>
>>34703968
Actually, the issue is that government started subsidizing health insurance by making it tax-deductible when offered by an employer to its employees.

This pushed the majority of the populace over from paying cash for services into paying monthly and indirectly (through an insurance pool). Healthcare costs became disassociated from healthcare prices, because individuals were no longer in control of their own expenses.

This led to a ballooning of expenses, as it was easier for the hospitals to overcharge up front and negotiate down with the insurance companies, and for the insurance companies to raise rates rather than to fight for cost decreases beyond the kabuki dance of lowering those artificially-inflated prices and claiming victory.

Note that the least-regulated medical markets--mostly elective surgeries like eye work--are far cheaper, more efficient, and more technologically advanced than the areas that are covered the most by insurance.

Despite all that, the US does have better care than anybody else, because you still can (for the most part) pay for things if you really, really want them (as opposed to Charlie Gard's parents).
>>
>>34706008
very clear synopsis of the problem
>>
>>34706008
So basically you're saying it doesn't work because insurance companies were greedy jews.
So why not simply get rid of the insurance companies?
>>
>>34705891
I don't understand the context of this, are we assuming that someone would store massive quanties of grain with no way to process it?
>>
>>34706050
Because then people will cry that everything will fall apart without the government like people are doing now with Obama care. They all know it's dying but they will refuse to admit it until the flesh sloughs off the bone and the skeleton falls to dust.
>>
>>34706069
>people will cry that everything will fall apart without the government
I said get rid of insurance companies, what does that have to do with getting rid of government?
>>
>>34706052
http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p920.htm

if you were going to do this
>>34705179
it'd be worthwhile to get a crank grain mill
>>
>>34692219
RCIR's have no alcohol in them. They have a ton of candy, pudding, really tasty crackers and good, filling food. I've eaten 8 different french rations.

Ordered one US ration, it was abysmal compared to the french ones. The "cheese" spread was probably the most disgusting part of it, it was extremely salty and just tasted like chemicals.

tl;dr US MRE's suck ass. Would happily live off RCIR's for two weeks.
>>
>>34706211
*8 different menus, not rations
>>
>>34706050
Because if you get rid of them, but leave the government involved, then the government simply *becomes* the insurance company, and you get NHS with its de facto death panels and power to deny citizens any rights to decide their own health care, even if they want to pay for it themselves.

Whereas if you remove government but leave the insurance companies, then within a few years, they'll have to start actually competing on price and services, or somebody new will set up shop and eat their lunches.
>>
>>34705649
Look, I would love being able to eat a normal sandwich without getting sick for the better part of a week, but I can't. It fucking sucks.
>>
>>34705685
Exactly. And the hippie thing makes it suck for the people that actually have it because we are taken as seriously as someone with a peanut allergy or something. And eating the wrong thing can mean feeling awful for days.
>>
>>34706196
It's frustrating that the good ones are $300-$500. You can get a basic one in the $50 range, but those are small and not very sturdy.

>>34705972
~2 weeks, going by the rule of 7s. During that time, you should stay indoors, with plastic and duct tape covering all windows and vents.

As long as you don't live next to or downwind from a strategic target (see: Oppie's target map), you won't even need that; but, it's probably a good idea to be extra safe.

For the vast, vast majority of people, radiation and fallout are not the threat; the threat is the economic destruction and resulting deprivation and loss of services, especially if the grid goes down (which it most likely will, even without the much-debated impact of EMP; the sudden loss of so much demand will throw the system out of balance until the generating companies can lower production to match the new demand, and even just a few seconds out of balance can lead to a major outage like the one last decade).

That's where your food and water storage should be focused; for the 2 weeks/2-3 months (remember Oppie's warnings that a "slow" war with multiple small exchanges is a real possibility) of the war and immediate aftermath, and then longer-term planning depending on your situation (city, suburb, town, farm, bug-in/bug-out, etc.).

MREs are not a bad form food storage, but they are rather pricey and short-lived compared to bulk dry foods, particularly those packaged in cans or buckets.
>>
>>34705639

Depends where you are in the world and what contacts you have. If you can buy them right out of an Army store that sells surplus, you'll get a great price. Any other sales places is going to push the price to the max. Much as I would like to there is no way I can attain MREs anywhere near the money I normally spend on food for one day. Sucks to be me, but it's just novelty food.
>>
>>34705674

If you actually need to live from stored supplies for a year you must expect that there will be no electricity. Teflone pots and pans are normally not meant to be used on a fireplace fueled by wood. Oil means easier frying. It also replaces the butter you will no longer have.
>>
File: nw077.jpg (38KB, 560x1200px) Image search: [Google]
nw077.jpg
38KB, 560x1200px
>>34706331
or you could diy
>>
>>34705823

Grain, like rice, are starch carbs. They give your body energy and make you feel full. But that's all they have to offer. There's no protein and no vitamins. Legumes, the beans and peas, are big on protein and has some vitamins even when stored dried. You will still very much want a source for c-vitamins. The scurvy is still a real thing. And actually the sun seed or rape seed oil also have vitamins and amino acids you need.
>>
>>34693929
a lemon poundcake is fine too
I wonder if the fruitcake is still made. Those fuckers were good.
>>
File: laughing black man.jpg (102KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
laughing black man.jpg
102KB, 800x500px
>>34705119
>>34705141
>being this assblasted about the truth
>>
>>34706052

In old times, meaning a hundred years ago, the farmer stored the grain. This could be stored for a very long time. As baking or market time approached, he would run the grinding mill to produce flour in sufficient quantity. That the flour had shorter storage potential was thereby not a problem.

Flour in storage can suffer multiple things. That its taste goes off is one thing. Also beetles love it. And it attracts humidity, which can make it mouldy. In the worst case it can get tainted with a mildew thing that can't be seen but can be actually poisonous. Since we live in nice modern houses with climate control it's not a major issue. SHTF can change that.
>>
>>34706440
so sprout or add some pure crystalline vitamin c to your supplies
>>
>>34706371
The military buys them in MASSIVE bulk.....
>>
>>34706535

So? What does that have to do with the price you are going to pay? Unless you are part of the military and they pass them on to you for free, you are just someones income potential.
>>
>>34706659
The context of the discussion is governments issuing rations with amphetamines to soldiers....
>>
>>34706533

Sprouting primarily helps with the fiber percentage. Which is a nice thing of course. But c-vitamin pills are probably the best storable source. However I am pretty sure I saw on vitamin pills that they have a limited shelf life.
>>
File: 1461440741610.jpg (72KB, 700x396px) Image search: [Google]
1461440741610.jpg
72KB, 700x396px
>>34706253
>someone new will set up shop
Wrong. The idea of the free market is sound, but in certain industries, specifically those with massive upfront infrastructural costs, it doesn't hold true. See utility companies. I have one option for electricity, gas, and water, and two for internet (one of them being complete garbage). Nobody else can afford to step in and build over the existing infrastructure, so I'm stuck paying more than double what the service is worth because certain basic public services are privately owned. I'm not against capitalism but it has its limitations, and providing infrastructure is one of them.

Now I'm just ranting, but another good example is the EZ pass lane on I-495 near DC (there are others but it's the most offensive). Instead of building additional lanes to accommodate population growth in Northern Virginia, we decided to let an Australian company build one extra lane and close off an existing one to create a toll road adjacent to the existing one. This exacerbated the traffic for everyone except people who could afford to drive in the private lanes in addition to exorbitant local, state, and federal taxes. I don't work off 495 anymore but my uncle, who does, pays $3000 a year in tolls to avoid an hour and a half commute every morning. Don't get taken advantage of. Support your local businesses, but roads, utilities, and health services would be better in the hands of the government.
>>
File: context.png (130KB, 777x545px) Image search: [Google]
context.png
130KB, 777x545px
>>34706659
>>
>>34706683

I still think they are working on the next level of uppers for soldiers.Something untraceable yet measurable. Laced coffeebeans.
>>
File: 1378492584251.jpg (128KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1378492584251.jpg
128KB, 1280x853px
canadian IMPs are the best, fite me faggots
>>
>>34691763
They don't. There are plenty of decent US made MRE's. They only problem is, they want to charge restaurant entree prices (plus a couple of drinks) for them.

The reason everything US made has gone to shit and is ridiculously expensive is that the dude who never graduated high school who throws shit into a package at a factory thinks he should make $35/hr plus benefits.

Not that I altogether disagree, given that the dude who decides to sit on his ass and do nothing can make the equivalent of $20/hr plus benefits on public assistance.

Until Americans are ready to let lazy people literally starve, expect to pay extra for every American made product.
>>
>>34706519
I know, I'm saying who would have several hundred pounds of wheat berries and fail to buy a good first mill
>>
>>34706686
pure vitamin C crystals do not deteriorate.
>>
>>34692251
Hey fuck you. Nothing makes day 13 of NTC or your 10th day in the frozen ass polish woods worse than sandy balls and a fucking shit ass MRE like the fucking Rib Shaped Pork Patty or some shit.

I'll be dirty, wet, cold, hot, sandy, go 72 hours without sleep, etc. but I can't fucking stand shitty food. I have gotten to the point where I will literally stab a man for fucking cake in the field before.
>>
>>34705200
Try 6-7 dollars a meal retard
>>
>>34693998
/thread

i ate the crumbs to a stale cheez-its box while high.

everything tastes great high
>>
I got an entire case of us mres from Amazon for under $80
>>
>>34692704
>insert joke about jews being cheap
>>
>>34701664
https://theepicenter.com/mre-brownies-12-pack.html

Yes they're from the same contractor that supplies them to the military.
>>
>>34710299
>$1.25 / piece brownies
That seems a tad steep.
>>
File: 1500010787783.png (760KB, 760x839px) Image search: [Google]
1500010787783.png
760KB, 760x839px
>>34702522
>When the nukes hit what do you eat after ten-fifteen years?
A bullet
>>
>>34711279

Nonsense. Provided you are outside the main hit areas the earth can still be grown. Potatoes, cabbage, carrots. chicken and rabbits can be produced even on fairly small areas. What you can wave goodbye to are the foodstuffs requiring plants or heavy duty machinery because they need infrastructure like fuel plants and a duistribution/sales system. It will be a hard working farmers life, not one of idiots in camp playing urban whackamole. Perhaps the big difference from the days of old is that for some time, farmers will be uniting into defense militias to keep the desperate city slickers away. Eventually the latter dies off and the militias get replaced with sheriffs and posses, and then new govt will take control over the sheriffs again and so history keeps repeating itself.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 50

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.