[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Savage .338 Lapua or 6.5 Creedmoor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: savage-110-hat.jpg (232KB, 1441x524px) Image search: [Google]
savage-110-hat.jpg
232KB, 1441x524px
Long story short. I live next to a very small FFL. I basically racked up a little over 1k in store credit there.

The guy is closing down and selling everything, dude is my neighbor and he gave me until Monday to choose one of these two weapons to buy (split the difference with the credit) before he puts them on the shelf to the general public.

He's selling the Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and the Savage 110 BA Stealth .338 Lapua (both of them are the latest Gen versions)

Price isn't really the issue (especially with the store credit taking care of the bigger chunk of the payment).

I'm not new to bolt actions or long range shooting, I do reload, and ammo isn't a big deal either, even if I didn't reload I have the mula to comfortably spend on the ammo.

I just was wondering if anyone had any experience on which gun is better built and more gun for the money. So far the RPR seems like the better choice after, I heard the barrel on the savage .338 is rather thin for a .338 and strings when it gets hot after a few shots (don't know how true that is).

I'd like the .338 though, purely for the novelty factor as well, it's one hell of a round and I've always wanted to have a powerful rifle. I don't own any rifle round bigger than a 30-06.

At the same time, I'm also curious about the 6.5 and it's probably a more useful gun. What say you /k/?

(btw I'd get something else all together, but there's nothing in his dwindling stock of firearms I'm interested in so it's between these two)
>>
File: ai-awm300f.jpg (14KB, 600x178px) Image search: [Google]
ai-awm300f.jpg
14KB, 600x178px
>>34690280
.338 Lapua
>>
>>34690280
>>
>>34690345

That would be an easy choice for the OP if it was between a RPR and a Accuracy International.
>>
>>34690428
>>
>>34690280
>338 and strings when it gets hot
Most large Bore magnums do this.
>>34690280
>one hell of a round
Yes it is.

>>34690280
>Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoo
I have one and its an awesome combo between the rifle and the cartridge.
That being said the 338 Lapua in a savage 110 BA is my next rifle after my next shotty (mossberg 935 SPX).

338 Lapua 3-5 bucks a round
6.5 Creedmoor 80c to buck 1.50 a round

You will also need better glass to shoot the 338 lapua at its longer ranges. Low quality Glass will really show its shit when using it at distance. Get ready to spend another $1500 in glass at the least.
>>
>>34690482

OP here. To be fair I'd spend that same amount of glass on the RPR as well as the Savage regardless of which rifle I bought.

So the general Consensus is the .338 hu? Any reason why? Everyone is saying .338 but I'm not really being told anything that's helping me sway to the .338, still on the fence.
>>
I've got a savage .338LM and a Tikka CTR 6.5CM. I would do the RPR 6.5CM. I reload 338LM for a hair under $1/rd and the 6.5CM at $0.50/rd (both match quality ammo). That said, the Savage 338's are known for great accuracy (but the 338LM snobs try to find a fault with the rifles to justify them spending >$4K on their rifles) and I would get it IF you have BOTH: a target rifle for shooting 400-1000 yards and access to >1000 yard range.

If you're shooting under 1K yds, don't bother with the 338.

Either rifle (RPR or Savage) can be rebarreled with a really good barrel for dirt cheap.
>>
>>34690612

Which Savage .338 Lapua magnum do you have? The 110 BA Stealth? I know they make another one with a more traditional stock as opposed to the Chassis system one I'm looking at.

I also have a Tikka CTR, but mine is in .308. I see that as more of a 300 to 700 Range gun, and the 6.5 from what I hear a 700 to 1000 range gun, and a Lapua even up to a mile from the research I'm doing. Might have to settle this on a coinflip.

My girlfriend is egging me towards the .338 Lapua purely for the cool factor of such a big round.

But the RPR seems to be way more handy, way more suppressor ready, and I really enjoy the idea of a folding stock on it.

Decisions decisions. Thank you for the input brother.
>>
>>34690866
Oh...if you've got a CTR in 308 already, I'd do the 338. I think the 308 is almost every bit as a capable as the 6.5CM; the difference isn't as big as you're saying and the 308 is much less sensitive to barrel length. The modern 168 ELD-M's and the like make the 308 a really capable cartridge.

I've got the 112 magnum target that's got a beefy barrel but doesn't have a mag. Best of luck, just beware that the novelty factor wears off any gun eventually. I've bought and sold more "meme"/fun guns than I can remember, like 500SW, .45-70, .458 lott, aluminum frame 44 mag, 338LM, 10mm, etc. Just be sure you'll want to shoot it and can justify to yourself 500 rounds later.
>>
>>34690534
They're recommending a meme round because this is /k/.

Get the 6.5. The RPR is a better gun and the 6.5 is far more enjoyable to shoot.

Less recoil, less muzzle blast, cheaper ammo, likely more accurate out to 1200+ yards...

The .338 is not practical unless you own land with 1500+ yard areas for shooting. Even then you'll only shoot a few rounds. Everyone I know who has bought big rifles either sells them or parks them in a safe for 364 days a year.
>>
>>34690612
>Either rifle (RPR or Savage) can be rebarreled with a really good barrel for dirt cheap

By dirt cheap you mean half the price of the gun right?
>>
Personally I'd get the 6.5 famalam
>>
>>34690280
.338 if you just want to say you have one,
6. 5 Cm if you wanna shoot pretty regularly.

I also say this as the RPR>Savage 110 BA
the Ruger will have a longer life span from my personal experience with both weapons.
>>
>>34691082
>>34691100
>>34691107

Screw these guys. Look at this video and tell us you don't want a .338 LM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KdvP1ifLnI
>>
>>34691142
Don't get me wrong, .338 is a badass round, but unless OP is the kind of guy who only takes his guns out of the safe to jerk off to them and if he actually shoots once in a while 6.5 is the obvious choice.
>>
>>34691169

Well weight shouldn't be the issue between both. The Savage Stealth is 11lbs and the RPR sits at around 10lbs.

Unless you're referring to the cost of ammo and or the kick.
>>
>>34691220
>Unless you're referring to the cost of ammo and or the kick.
Yeah that's what I meant. Especially the cost of the ammo. I might be wrong but I got the feeling that 6.5 had a bit better availability too.
>>
>>34691092
Fair enough, I exaggerated, but $400-$475 and installing it yourself is cheaper than a $800-$1k once gunsmith costs are factored in.
>>
File: 23464423752_ebdab2f8af_b.jpg (355KB, 1024x769px) Image search: [Google]
23464423752_ebdab2f8af_b.jpg
355KB, 1024x769px
OP I'd get the Ruger based on looks alone.

But even so. The Ruger has way more customization available for it. More parts out there.

In a SHTF environment, or hell, any environment that's gonna play a huge factor on keeping a gun operational for the rest of your life.

Also, the .338 has a loud raport even when suppressed. The 6.5 suppresses pretty well even better than .308

Also, they're both 1700 yard capable. Of course though I'm not gonna lie the .338 lapua is way better for that but the 6.5 can reach there even if just barely.

You can stock up on way more ammo, and carry more ammo. And last but not least. Folding stock. I hate carrying around huge gun cases. It's always a fucking hassle.

The Savage doesn't even have a buffer tube for fucks sake. The RPR does. Buffer tube plus muzzle break, shooting a 6.5 out of a 24 inch barreled 10 pound gun...

No recoil whatsoever. Meaning... you can put cheap shit optics on there and have them be able to handle the recoil.

I'm hitting 4 inch groups at 800 yards with a hundred dollar scope.

That being said. I'd definitely get a .338 LM just not the Savage. I'd save up for a Armalite.
>>
>>34691473

And yet, a .338LM that's only 1lb heavier is incredibly appealing.
>>
6.5 OP
>>
>>34690280
338 ftw
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.