[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ how effective are shotguns and handguns for home defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 60766337_p1_master1200.jpg (505KB, 1200x823px) Image search: [Google]
60766337_p1_master1200.jpg
505KB, 1200x823px
/k/ how effective are shotguns and handguns for home defense?

I went to a gun store recently and they told me they're both awful for defending yourself and just kept recommending me to get an assault rifle instead, I don't want an ar I want a shotgun.

Do the clerks make more money off of AR sales or something?
>>
>>34689605
It isn't the gun that limits you.

It's yourself.
>>
They are right and are actually saving you money.
>>
>>34689630
the ar was like over a grand and everything else I wanted was like $500 though
>>
They're right. It's 2017. Get a $500 AR.
>>
>>34689651
Order one.

http://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-556-black-ar-15-223-5-56mm-16-1-inch-30rd.html

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/195436?

https://gunprime.com/product/smith-wesson-mp15-sport-2-ar-15-556-nato-16-30rd-black/
>>
>>34689669
i want a shotgun or a pistol for ccw
>>
>>34689705
i don't understand how to do it online

where i live you don't need a permit or anything you can just buy one, don't you need that to buy one online even if you're getting it shipped to a state that doesn't require them?
>>
>>34689708
The only reasons to get a shotgun over a semiauto rifle is if you want to hunt with it, your you are so fucking poor you can't come up with the $200 difference for a much better gun.

You can buy an AR for the same price as a Glock, and you get a lot more gun for your money. You shouldn't conceal carry unless you have the money to practice quite a lot first, and if you have that, you should be able to afford both guns. It's also easier to learn to shoot with a rifle than a handgun.
>>
>>34689723
>i don't understand how to do it online
Look up local FFL holders. They're licensed by the Federal government to ship guns. Most will have gun shops. Call around, ask how much they charge to do a transfer. When you find the best price, tell him you're going to order a gun to him. Then order the gun online, and provide the seller with the information for your chosen FFL. They'll ship the gun, a few days later you'll go pick it up and pay your FFL his fee.
>>
Rifles are shotguns are more effective stoppers than handguns. Rifles are generally easier to handle than shotguns though, with higher capacity, easier followup shots, and typically shorter length and better ergonomics for home defense. A handgun will still get the job done, just shoot more.
>>
>>34689605
Why not both? Have a pistol on the side too.
>>
>>34690704
>>
>>34690704
>Pistol on the side
Put the pistol on the rail too
>>
>>34689605
I recognize that artist!
Post musclegirl futa! He draws the best!
>>
File: 3-courtesy-usfirearms.com_.jpg (2MB, 1936x1329px) Image search: [Google]
3-courtesy-usfirearms.com_.jpg
2MB, 1936x1329px
>>34691497
Derp
>>
>>34691504
>muscle girl
>futa
Every goddamn time. Can't people compartmentalize their fetishes for once in their lives? I like both, but come on. I like both chocolate and bananas, but that doesn't mean I'm looking for a banana split every time I buy a bunch or a Hershey's bar.
>>
>>34691629
Well, he also draws it without one or the other. Or genderbends characters, which is something I usually enjoy because it's cute to see new perspectives on the same person.
>>
>>34689605
>low capacity
>high recoil
>L O U D and difficult to suppress
>won't penetrate body armor but slugs will kill them even with
>less reliable than a properly built ar15
>>
>>34691506
lol...rip dog
>>
>>34691634
Good to know. Maybe I'll check his work out. Thanks, anon.
>>
>>34691719
It is Mikoyan!
>>
>>34691644
I'll give you the rest, but--
>less reliable than a properly built AR
Not saying ARs are shit, but the pump-action shotgun is one of the more reliable lead-slinging designs out there. And in practice, it cam achieve this reliability without going into the thousands of dollars.

>>34689605
>assault rifle
An assault rifle is a select-fire (read: burst or automatic) rifle in an intermediate cartridge (basically, a round explicitly designed with enemy combatants (not hunting game or target shooting) in mind). Now, assault rifles are still technically legal to own, but they're such a rare commodity and such paperwork hassle that the price range for such a weapon STARTS at tens of thousands of dollars (not including the prerequisite $200 tax stamp you need to acquire from the BATFE).

What they MEANT was semi-auto rifles. But it looks like they were either too stupid to differentiate, or they picked up on your lack of knowledge and tried to take advantage of that to upsell you an expensive gun. While semi-auto rifles are fine for self/home defense, it sounds like you know what you want and don't have the cash to fuck around with someone's shit-tier """advice""".

Step 1: NEVER GO THERE AGAIN. Don't support that stupid, irresponsible behavior with your hard-earned cash. Step 2: Research, research, research. Look for not only ballistic performance, but also value, capacity, ergonomics, size/mobility, etc. Start at the home (and wallet) and plan accordingly. Step 3: Buy online. Find an FFL holder who ISN'T a complete glue eater, and let them know you'll be sending a weapon their way. Do the five-minute background check shuffle, pay the transfer fee, and off ya go.
>>
>>34691810
Anon, this is /k/, we don't make sense and give people good advice.

>>34689605
Yoh want a dragon dildo for home defense. The orgasming ones are the most terrifying to intruders.
>>
>>34689605
Shotguns are the ideal homes defense weapon. They're versatile for whatever your walls are made of, reliable as all hell. The little bit of spread helps with point shooting.

And there's no human who will walk without a limp after taking some number 4.

Get something short, if you're willing to do the paperwork get a 14 inch sbs pump action. Put a light on it.

Oh and practice a lot. A LOT. Lance "community cleanser" Thomas practiced very often with his guns so when the times came, he downed all the darks.
>>
>>34691886
>The orgasming ones are the most satisfying to intruders
Fixed. Can't afford to leave anything to chance.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.