[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which one????

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 12

Looking to pick up my first AR15. I've boiled it down to either the S&W MP15 or the Ruger AR556. Assuming price is similar, is there any advantage of one over the other?
>>
>>34683205
Oh wew I have a Chromebook too
>>
>>34683223
Haha. Yes. Yes you do
>>
They are both about as low as you can get on the totem pole. You'd be better off buying a lower and assembling it and then buying an actual complete upper and slapping them together.
>>
>>34683205
I'd say ruger because the laser etched "M&P 15" on the right side of the magwell triggers me.

Aside from that, you'll probably eventually strip everything and just keep the receivers and buffer tubes eventually so get whichever rollmark you'd want to have because they're both going to be about the same.
>>
>>34683205
Go with something from PSA tßh pham.
>>
>>34683277
Ignore this fucker^

>>34683205
Those are both fine rifles. I would say go with the ruger as well. Take it from me, I'm on a chromebook too.
>>
>>34683277
Don't listen to these people. This is your first AR, and many anons on here have fucked up their builds because it was their first time. Get the MP15 Sport, it has more "standard" parts than the Ruger.
>>34683293
PSA blows.
>>
File: 1212541511515.jpg (38KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1212541511515.jpg
38KB, 500x375px
OP don't do this.

You can build your own for cheaper.
Add these things to your cart quick and look at the damn price

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/221905/ar-stoner-ar-15-a3-upper-receiver-assembly-556x45mm-nato-16-barrel

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/866002/ar-stoner-buffer-tube-assembly-6-position-mil-spec-diameter-ar-15-aluminum-black

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/264558/ar-stoner-80-pct-lower-receiver-ar-15-aluminum-anodized-black

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/862947/ar-stoner-customizable-lower-receiver-parts-kit-ar-15

It's not anything impressive but it's better than your two options for 2/3rds the price.
>>
>>34683308
>This is your first AR, and many anons on here have fucked up their builds because it was their first time.
Literally no one has ever fucked up their builds here. It's the easiest thing in the world and there are multiple youtube videos that will hold your hand like a baby to guide you.
It takes about 15 minutes to assemble the lower and all you need is a soft hammer and a pair of pliers. Not everyone is a retard like you.

>it has more "standard" parts than the Ruger.
What did he mean by this.
>>
>>34683328
Yes they have, there are always threads about how some anon got the wrong parts, it's over gassed, under gassed, etc etc. Also ruger uses some proprietary parts for their builds, an expert such as yourself should know this.

As I said OP, don't listen to these retards, especially since its your first AR. Buy one that has a warranty that will cover it, building one of these frankenguns means you get no factory warranty.
>>
>>34683328
>Literally no one has ever fucked up their builds here
Spot the retard troll.
>>
>>34683347
>>34683364
This is the first time i've ever heard of anyone ever having trouble assembling a lower; short of snapping a bolt release pin.

But an expert as myself should have known you were only talking about uppers.
People usually buy completed uppers that are insured with a warranty from their producing companies.

But of course an expert like my self doesn't know you have to not be retarded to contact a company about their faulty product.

Fuck you anons sure showed me...
>>
>>34683205
I own a Ruger AR556
Love it
Can't say much about the M&P
I would love it too, just went for the Ruger first
>>
>>34683205
i have the ruger. good gun, good fitment between upper and lower. shoots steel and brass fine. the fucker was coated in machine oil when i got it though, but cleaning is part of maintenance.
I've shot probably 500ish rounds thru mine, and no problems except for one double feed (prob due to cheap as shit tulammo steel). no issues with federal however.
The M&P is just as good i hear; they both make great first ARs.
I would caution you against assembling your own firearm. Yes they go together like legos, but sometimes paying a few dollars more is worth it. I can change the oil in my car, but it's worth an extra $30 to have someone else do it in like five minutes.
>>
>>34683347
>"proprietary parts"
... an unthreaded barrel, barrel-nut and front gas block?... All things that are extremely easily replaced?
>>
OP pls

Sit on palmetto state armory site and look for deals daily and you'll get a fine ar for less
>>
>>34683478
>no one on /k/ has fucked up a lower
Um okay, You must be new here.
>>
>>34683527
Yes and that now means OP has to spend even more to get parts that come standard on the other rifle.
>>
>>34683550
Those are the same retards that ask if they should get a 308 buffer tube because 'it's stronger' anon.
>>
>>34683550
What the fuck are you talking about anon? Everyone here on /k/ is a true operator who can build a AR and Ak in their sleep.
>>
>>34683284
>I'd say ruger because the laser etched "M&P 15" on the right side of the magwell triggers me.

The Ruger has branding on literally every single piece of the gun.
>>
>>34683557
Nah. Realistically what is going to happen is OP will get one or the other, shoot it for a year or two, decide he wants something cooler and buy a different upper.

You realize there are two pins on the rifle that separate the upper and lower right? And that you can just drop a new upper in at a moments notice?

I'm just saying; OP will probably shoot the rifle until he's not happy with it, then drop a new upper in. Easy as pie. Proprietary parts gone.
>>
>>34683560
Yes and my point is that people here regularly fuck their shit up.
>>34683566
Did you even read the thread? This is OPs first AR, you think he can build that in his sleep?
>>34683574
And he wasted money and time when he could have just gotten the MP15 in the first place.
>>
File: 1474698497756.jpg (27KB, 358x361px) Image search: [Google]
1474698497756.jpg
27KB, 358x361px
>>34683566
>comparing building an ar to building an ak

If you seriously cannot understand how an ar lower goes together after two seconds of googling or watching a single video you might be actually retarded. It's by far the easiest thing.

Building an ar lower is the equivalent of an 'ages 4-6' lego set. And I'm not exaggerating.
>>
>>34683308
>recommends MP15
>PSA is shit
>>
>>34683616
>S&W bad
>PSA good
fuck off retard
>>
File: 1475074265967.jpg (873KB, 1793x2241px) Image search: [Google]
1475074265967.jpg
873KB, 1793x2241px
>>34683592
>And he wasted money and time when he could have just gotten the MP15 in the first place.
They're essentially the same gun. They will do the exact same thing the other will do. Until OP decides he wants a carbine or a rifle length he can shoot either one.

Until there is a decision as to what op actually wants the rifle to do, either one will work. If his intention is to start modding and tricking out one of the cheapest ars on the market, then sure go with the MP15 just for ease.

You're beating your head against the wall over shit that doesnt matter.
>what if he wants to modify it
>'then he can buy a different upper'
>bruh not everyone wants to spend the money
>'.... but you just asked what if he wanted to put money into it..'
>>
>>34683626
>They will do the exact same thing the other will do.
I never claimed otherwise.

>implying getting a whole new upper is more practical than changing out a few parts
Do you buy a new car every time you want to do something to it?
>>
File: 1475103278603.gif (909KB, 440x508px) Image search: [Google]
1475103278603.gif
909KB, 440x508px
>>34683637
>Do you buy a new car every time you want to do something to it?
If it's a piece of shit car; you bet your ass.
>>
>>34683315
> 80 percent lower for first AR
Fuck off with that shit
>>
Between the two, I'd go with the Ruger over the S&W, despite the nonstandard parts. No real reason, just the impression that Ruger's put in a bit more effort.

But here's a Magpul'd out midlength Delton that's selling for the same price that M&P15s and AR556s go for. Better deal, IMO.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/195436?
>>
>>34683637
>constantly throwing money into something that keeps needing money to keep it working
>not just buying a higher quality product.

Buy once cry once retard
>>
>>34683205
If you don't have the tools and knowledge to build an AR and are unwilling to acquire them, either rifle will suit you just fine.

But whatever's cheapest and easiest to get into your hands.
>>
>>34683570
It doesn't matter, you're going to keep everything except for the lower and upper eventually receivers.
>>
>>34683623
No, you fuck off, you are the retard. I'm poiting out that for the same money you'd drop on an MP you can get a better bargain through PSA. There is literally no difference in the level of quality in the parts. Don't get so fucking wound up when someone provides a better deal as opposed to what you likely bought/own and are now shilling to make you feel better about your purchase.
>>
>>34683658
Oh whoops I actually meant just a stripped completed lower. I was just fast linking.

A finished lower is only like 70 bucks and you will never need to fuck with it.
>>
>>34683315
You're missing a few parts there, guy. No trigger group, trigger guard, rear sight, stock, magazine. Roll punches and stock wrench. The jig for the DIY lower, and perhaps a drill press or router. All in, that'll be more expensive, and the gun will be inferior.

Even if we drop the silly idea of a DIY lower and just pick a stripped lower up for the same $60, it'll still be more expensive than buying finished.

There's no money to be saved in assembling a low end AR anymore, unless you can bum free parts off friends.
>>
>>34683592
It's easy though
>>
File: Untitled.png (123KB, 1403x752px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
123KB, 1403x752px
>>34683713
Sorry you're right.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/239400/ar-stoner-complete-lower-receiver-parts-kit-ar-15
>you need Roll punches and stock wrench. The jig for the DIY lower, and perhaps a drill press or router.
I did it with a single punch and a soft hammer.
Came out 100% fine and unblemished. No stock wrench, no magazine insert to hold anything in place... Do people not have a fucking hammer?....

Pic related. It's going to be cheaper and slightly better.
Plus - http://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-ar-15-a3
And that's a full rifle for 530 after shipping.

>There's no money to be saved in assembling a low end AR anymore
Unless you build the lower receiver and put a different upper on it later you jackass..
>>
>>34683891
Ah shit they included the shipping in the price actually; so it'll be like 510.

And then you can take your saved 189 dollars and buy magazines and ammo.
Or spend a bit more on a better upper.
>>
>>34683891
>And that's a full rifle for 530 after shipping.

http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport-ii-5-56mm-16.html
>$479.00+$7.99 shipping

http://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport-ii-5-56mm-16.html
>$489.00+$7.99 shipping

Wow, only $33 to $43 more than a factory rifle. What a fucking bargain!
>>
>>34683891
>Unless you build the lower receiver and put a different upper on it later you jackass..

You can put a different upper on a factory rifle, too, jackass.
>>
>>34683941
Oh, damn it, the first link should be this

http://grabagun.com/ruger-ar-556-black-ar-15-223-5-56mm-16-1-inch-30rd.html
>>
>>34683941
>>34683963
Please show me a store that doesn't charge you shipping and transfer fees.
>>
File: 2kY74Vl.jpg (23KB, 167x194px) Image search: [Google]
2kY74Vl.jpg
23KB, 167x194px
>>34683948
That's the point you fuck head. If you intend to put a different upper on it all that matters is the lower. Buying x brand lower isn't going to change anything.
>>
>>34684043
Any store that's ripping you off on an ordered firearm isn't going to be selling stripped lowers at a reasonable price, either.
>>
>>34684053
The economics of upgrading an upper later on have nothing to do with the discussion of the merits of assembling versus buying a low end AR. I cannot fathom why you brought it up.
>>
>>34684143
Anon even if they're not ripping you off shipping alone will be at least 50 dollars because of the weight and insurance needed.

You fucking moron.
>>
File: 1488607578053.gif (989KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1488607578053.gif
989KB, 500x282px
>>34684161
You should probably reread the thread.
>>
>>34683277
Ignore this tard. either are great, much better than the "tactical bro" companies who all popped up in the last decade
>>
File: Capture.png (3KB, 349x63px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3KB, 349x63px
>>34684165
>You fucking moron.
>>
>>34684176
No matter how many times I read the thread, the only conclusion I can draw is that you're deranged.
>>
OP Here. Thx guys. It appears that there is little difference between the 2 models, which is what I suspected. Since this is my first AR, I would prefer to buy one complete and potentially piss with it or build one later. While I am mechanically inclined, and have fucked with my other guns, I just don't want to take the risk of putting one together, fucking something up and getting FTF/FTE/FTL's, then continuing to have to piss around with it. For the 1st one, it just seems easier to buy one complete from a reputable company and get the warranty that comes with it. BTW, can get either one right now for about $450 with no shipping at SMGA
>>
>>34683205
Savage MSR.

Seriously, look into it. 5r rifling melonite barrel with mid length gas standard. I'd get one if I wanted a 16" AR.
>>
>>34683205
I got 5k rounds through my ruger ar556 and have never had any issues with brass ammo.

It will not feed tula steel case though. It's pretty mind blowing but it becomes essentially bolt action with tula steel.

Never had any other misfeeds and quite frankly I entirely blame the shitty ammo because of that.
>>
>>34683205
Aero ac15
>>
>>34684416
>fucking something up
I assembled a lower for my wife using a single punch, a hammer, and lots of tape. It's pretty fuckin easy, the only scary part is trying not to break the wings off the receiver when installing the bolt release, or having a spring launch a detent pin into low orbit.

I'd day go with the m&p for the standard gas block that can be reused more easily of you swap the barrel later.
>>
>>34684487
>Savage MSR.

Lel. It has airshit parts on it.
>>
>>34683550
Who has that green text where anon use semen for lube during his whole lower build, then wonder why he was having some issues after firing his gun?
>>
>>34684605
Really? I have two Savage bolt actions and they are pretty damn good quality, never seen the MSR in person tho.
>>
>>34683205
your tab game is weak man
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.