[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New To /K/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

Hey, I'm new to the whole gun scene, as I've only recently been the age to own one (before I collected knives). What do you think would be a good first gun to own and use? I've personally been looking at the Mosin Nagant, it peeped my interests (this thread can also be about gun tips/advice)
>>
If you buy a mosin, you're buying into a meme, and only true faggots do that.
Buy a fucking bolt action .223 or something if you're just going to be fucking around with it.
Or be a man and get an AK or AR.
>>
>>34681065
At least get something semi auto... Mosins aren't as cheap as they used to be so the meme isn't worth it unless you've got money to blow. If you want something cheap and ready to go, get an SKS or some cheap AR off gun.deals
>>
A 91/30 Mosin is a good first C&R gun,m and it will be cheap. The ammo is corrosive, but don't let that scare you. It's not a big deal at all. An SKS would be another good early buy for you, something Chinese for around $4-500 if you can. Last and most important, I want you to look up "The Civilian Marksmanship Program". They sell old US army rifles (M1 Garand) from WWII for about 60% of their market value. The program is predicted to be running out of rifles very soon.
>>
File: f42.jpg (143KB, 570x760px) Image search: [Google]
f42.jpg
143KB, 570x760px
>>34681065
AK or SKS
>>
>>34681065
Mosins used to be cheaper than shit to run, 440 rounds for $50 and the guns were being thrown away by big box stores, literally bins full of them, $70-80 each.
Now, thanks to king nigger and muh sanktions, we don't have any and the prices have exploded. There's a lot of mosins around, but to be honest, they're not that great. Will never jam, not like it helps you at a range. Messy trigger pull, heavy, not super compatible with accessories, and everyone has one so it will never be worth anything.

My first gun was a Saiga 5.45 AK. It served me well, $.24 a round when I buy from big box store, less than $700 for a gun.

If you have some gun experience (or are keen to learn fast) you can skip .22lr training phase if you understand shooting form, safety operation, so on. Else, get .22lr semi-auto Ruger.

I think these AKs would be what I would get if I were in the market for another gun at the moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSCotGGKm94&t=1s

Sorry for autism, not smart enough for /lit/ or /sci/.
>>
>>34681123
>Recommending to buy an SKS for $400-$500
What the fuck is wrong with you?
That's guns were OK priced when they were $200. At $400 you're being jewed.
At $50) you've lost all common fucking sense and should seriously consider suicide for not spending $100 more for the vastly superior AK platform.
>>
Milsurp isn't a good first rifle. Get a 22 or an AR.
>>
OP here, I may try out the AK series of guns, what's a good model and price? I don't wanna get swindled by some shady dealership
>>
>>34681180
>Dealership
Fuck son, you sure you even know what a gun is?
Look at WASR, or Yugos.
Don't buy ANYTHING built by century.
>>
>>34681180
Any rifle made by Saiga is fantastic quality, but those will be super expensive now because muh sanctions.
Some of what Century produces is alright, I'd read into it. I linked some here >>34681148 and think it's a good price, but you should do your own research.

Other than those, expect $600-750 for a good quality. $900 up for top of the line Veprs.

I would be terrified to touch an AR-15 less than $500.

>>34681153
What's wrong with the SKS at $400?
>>
File: Nugget Background.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Nugget Background.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>34681065
you can get a new name brand AR15 for south of $500 if you look hard enough. if you get fucking hosed by a big box store it'll cost ~$700.

you can build a franken AR for well south of $500 by literally buying a complete lower and complete upper for like $450 out the door all day any day

>inb4 I live in a cuck state
Ares SCR is like $7-800 bucks. or you could fellate the ghost of bill ruger and buy a mini14

I bought my 91-30 for the high 2013 price of $180 and it has provided me with fun noise making but hardly any form of constructive serious target shooting. My Finn M39 has done both and cost less than a basic bitch 91-30 goes for nowadays.

You can get a scoped rifle combo for south of $5-600 too, savage and ruger americans are solid btw. Tikka rifles are fucking nioce too, but you'll need to toss 200-1000 dollarydoos on glass to go with it.

Bottom line is that moist nuggets are for oldfags and tryhard memelord newfags. The age of the $87 hex receiver dragoon in a barrel at bubbas gun emporium is long over.
>>
If you are interested in the rifle because it's a piece of history, then you should buy it. It's about on par with mausers now, but it's still about as cheap as it gets for getting into C&R stuff.

If you are interested in the rifle because the ammo is cheap/you want something to shoot a lot/you want performance, you would actually be better off looking into entry level bolt guns like Savage offers, or the Ruger American.

The cheap ammo for the mosin is drying up and sanctions are not going to help that, and the price of the rifle itself is going up for that same reason.

If you want a first gun, I would suggest looking at something in .22 LR just because it's hard to screw up and you don't have to put as much thought into it. There are three models worth a damn: the Ruger 10/22, the Marlin Model 60, and the Remington 597.

These are good because they are cheap to feed and require very little research, are cheap to buy, and resell at about the same value. So you aren't out much money if you decide shooting isn't for you.

Otherwise, we need an idea of what you want your gun to do to give specific recommendations.
>>
>>34681065
you can't find mosins cheap any more, you're shit out of luck. the price of ammunition is also going up. you'll also develop a flinch that will take hours of practice correcting.
>>
>>34681234
Weak pussy, I shot the mosin and I wondered if that was really it. Lift moar.
>>
>>34681215
>What's wrong with the SKS at $400?
It's a $200 gun is what wrong.
There is almost no reason to buy an SKS when AKs exist, and only for a few dollars more.
The only reason you should be buying an SKS, is if you already have other guns and want one for your collection, or already own and collect SKS'.

They aren't bad guns, I like them, but there's no reason for OP to get an inferior platform as a first rifle to learn and shoot on just because some anons on Hindu basketweaving correspondence board said so.
>>
>>34681065
An SKS is a very solid choice, just about the only semi auto 7.62x39 rifle you can get for under $500.
>>
>>34681234
OP again, I have experience firing some different calibers of guns, I just don't know what gun could offer me good performance/protection at a low cost
>>
>>34681255
I also live in Kansas, so I don't think any gun law will stop me from buying a RPG-7 or anything
>>
>>34681255
Poorfagest of Poorfag guns, Maverick 88. 12 gauge pump action, decently reliable, 190 bucks. Can be had in 20 gauge if you are recoil sensitive.
>>
>>34681255
Home protection: Mossberg 500 / Rem. 870 12 gauge. Will cost you nearly nothing, $300.

For rifles, see above.

Expect good handguns to run $400 for glocks (cue 1911 fanboys) to $1000 for the best 1911s, what I would go with is a $700 PPK or $600 beretta 92.
>>
File: rps20170728_020718.jpg (97KB, 1280x798px) Image search: [Google]
rps20170728_020718.jpg
97KB, 1280x798px
>>34681247
Did somebody say "For A Few Dollars More"?
>>
>>34681247
>For only a few dollars more

The only AK worth a damn starts at 700, 600 if you get really lucky.

If you were arguing that you can build a barebones AR for 100 more, you might get somewhere.

But the American AK market is full of shit right now because in house production is working out the kinks and thus their products are shit, and domestic manufacturers are successfully lobbying to cut off the foreign supply. This poor bastard would have to do a lot of homework or risk buying a pile of shit rifle that will blow up in his face a couple hundred rounds in
>>
File: k goes to moria.jpg (122KB, 1284x483px) Image search: [Google]
k goes to moria.jpg
122KB, 1284x483px
>>34681238
>tfw the glory days of newfags who never had their father teach them how to shoulder a rifle complaining about the rather steep recoil of a Mosin
>>
>>34681304
Nigger what? I told him to get a WASR. They are hands down the best entry level AK you can own.
Yes the price went up $100 when century jacked it up so that WASR's wouldn't affect the sale of their in house shit-made abortions of a gun, but WASR's are still the best bang for your buck AK-wise under $800.
Arsenal's aren't even great and suffer from the exact same problems almost literally every other AK suffers from, hard to justify $1,400 for a rifle from them that CLP strips the finish off of anbhas canted sites.
You'll hate life a lot less if you spend 30% of that and get a wasr with the same problems.
You almost can't go wrong with a WASR or N-PAP.
>>
>>34681247
>It's a $200 gun is what wrong
It's 2017 boss. It's a 450 gun now.
>>
>>34681379
Which is why it isn't worth it you fucking tripfaggot.
>>
>>34681385
That's like saying a 69 Mustang isn't worth the price today. You fundamentally misunderstand the market.
>>
>>34681626
So you're saying that mosins are worth what they cost now based on that logic?
>>
Mosins were cool when they were 75 dollars. Heck Chinese SKSs could be had for 90 bucks. No, for the prices you'd pay you might as well get into the AK game.
>>
>>34681065
Mosins used to be very cheap. People bought the "mosins are amazing value" meme and then prices rose as fuck.

People who bought mosins still spout the mosin meme even though its no longer true.
>>
>>34681065
>peeped my interest
PIQUED
>>
>>34681180
I seriously wouldn't recommend touching the AK market as a new gun buyer. There's a lot of nuance in finding a good AK while at the same time not paying out the nose for one. It used to be easier before "muh sanctions", but nowadays, there's a ton of shit (IO, RAS) that stores try to hawk at unsuspecting customers.

If you're new to buying AND shooting, get a semi-auto .22 rifle (10/22, Marlin 60 or 795, Savage 64) and learn to shoot with that. If you know how to shoot and want a decent rifle, look for a swiss k31, a cheaper SKS, savage axis.

Nowadays, getting a mosin for a mid to upper $200's price range is just not worth it. They aren't very good. They were neat to have when they cost less than $100 and the ammo was dirt cheap and plentiful, that's just not the case anymore.
>>
>>34683012
In this doggy-dog world, malapropisms are a diamond dozen for all intensive purposes.
>>
>>34681203
how about the stuff imported by century?
>>
Don't get a milsurp as your first gun. The whole reason why that was ever a thing is that they were dirt cheap for a long time, but that boat has sailed and at this point is an outdated meme. Buy milsurp only if you love the history of your rifle and want to collect them, otherwise get something modern.
>>
Nuggets used to be lulz cheap. Not anymore. For that price get a Thompson Center contender new. They come in a variety of calibers, are fun to shoot, and are suprisingly accurate for the price. They run between 350 and 400. If you must have milsurp spend the extra cash on an Enfield or Mauser.
>>
>>34683084
Imports are fine. Century got their shit together enough since 2013 that they don't really fuck those up anymore.
Just stay away from their in house shit such as the RAS47 and the C39 series.
Also, don't buy an AK from any website that just names a country it's from instead of a manufacturer.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.