[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SQT stupid questions thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

SQT: fun and games edition

>ask dumb questions

>answer dumb questions

>help out an anon
>>
File: 411555981_1.jpg (29KB, 1000x469px) Image search: [Google]
411555981_1.jpg
29KB, 1000x469px
is adams arms shit?

i want to get a piston AR but dont want to spend $1k
>>
>>34680665
Pistons are only good if you're running a short Barrel, or a suppressor. Other than that it is wasted money.

That said, Adams arms is not shit. But, you should get the low profile version and put it under a rail, because what you linked is objectively disgusting looking. And railed gas blocks are dumb.
>>
File: 1501107719798.jpg (104KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1501107719798.jpg
104KB, 640x640px
>>34680665
R A I L E D G B
A
I
L
E
D
G
B
>>
Why would any manufacturer opt for a slide safety of a frame safety
>>
>>34680887
aesthetic?
>>
File: 1440099492784.jpg (22KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1440099492784.jpg
22KB, 300x300px
>>34680766
>Pistons are only good if you're running a short Barrel, or a suppressor. Other than that it is wasted money.
i am ar illiterate, can you elaborate please?

what are the pros/cons of piston ar over DI then?
I'm pretty green when it comes to gas powered rifles
an I want something that will be easy to maintain while not being total cheap shit
>>
>>34681089
Both Direct Impingement (AR15) and short stroke gas piston (other guns, like the SCAR, or Adams arms) both have their pros and cons.

D.I is lighter, simpler, less expensive, and (IMO) slightly softer recoiling. Downsides are that it runs dirtier and hotter. Those downsides become more exaggerated if you have a shorter barrel or suppressor.

Piston is heavier, more mechanically complex, proprietary (Adams arms), and more expensive. But it runs cleaner, and may be slightly more reliable in some guns.

If you're an AR noob, don't get a piston gun... simple as that. AR's are already super easy to take down and clean. My advice to you would be to try to get an AR with a MIDLENGTH gas system from a reputable manufacturer.
>>
>>34681089
AR's aren't designed to have a piston in them and it doesn't work well with the bolt carrier group causing it to rub against the buffer tube causing damage over time.

Its also a decent bit heavier because you have a big metal piston instead of a tiny tube
>>
>>34681089
Piston pros:
Less gas blowing out the receiver, especially when suppressed

Piston cons:
Jenky design shoehorned onto the AR, proprietary parts, carrier tilt will eventually destroy your lower receiver, etc...

As a first gas operated rifle, you should be looking at proven designs rather than niche gimmicks. Standard AR's are easy to keep clean.
Piston rifles get dirty, just the same as any other operation.
>>
Would a sodium filled bullet be against the GC?
>>
>>34680644
So, I saw a thread that makes me ask this.
Are submachine guns only has 9mm, .40 s&w or.45 acp ammunition?
>>
>>34682281
yes and no. currently yes because people like uniformity and those are the most popular rounds. but there are a ton of old smg's that use a bunch of different cartridges that different countries used.
>>
sound weapons are really usefull ?
>>
>>34682327
Oh, thank you
>>
>>34680644
Is OP a faggot?
>>
>>34682231
Google geneva convention and find out.
>>
>>34682336
For crowd denial, yes. They are pretty damn good at removing lots of people at once. Sure, ear-pro could help out a little, but to distribute ear-pro good enough for for the area denial systems would be incredibly difficult.

Additionally, it could be pretty well implemented on ships to stop pirates from coming aboard.
>>
Will .308/7.62 NATO perform well still out of an SBR build? Whats the ideal barrel length for SBRs or carbines?
>>
>>34683001
308 out of an SBR may as well be 7.62x39 out of an SBR
>>
>>34680644
so, I am interested in purchasing a firearm. My only concern is that I was admitted to a mental hospital once when I was 13, and again while I was 17. (I wasn't court ordered.) Will this affect my ability to purchase one?
>>
File: MK-80A3-2.jpg (212KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
MK-80A3-2.jpg
212KB, 1600x1600px
found a model similar to pic related at a church yard sale and I have no clue what the metal bar towards the end is for. any thoughts?
>>
If my ar15 has a flash hider it must be threaded right? I could just find a can that fits the threading right?
>>
How do I clean my guns?

I'm a new firearms owner and I bought the cleaning kit and I think I've been doing it right just by eyeballing the tools and guessing how to use them, but I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone IRL. Here's what I do:

1- Wipe with patches and check for residue
2-Hoppes solvent on all places that came up black, copper brush down barrel
3-alternate Hoppes-soaked and clean patches down barrel until clean, rub everything else with qtips or patches until it comes up clean.
4- coat all parts including bore with a light coat of CLP and let sit
5-wipe excess

Are my guns taken care of or am i slowly boofucking them?
>>
>>34683620

front end is to stick your foot in to hold it down while you draw the string.
>>
>>34683703
ohhh, do you think I will need that with 50 lb string Im getting soon, new to crossbows
>>
>>34683582
Probably not. There's no penalty for trying, give it a whirl.
>>
>>34680887
Poor space management
>>
What is the cheapest center-fire caliber? I feel like it's .223 but I feel like I may be missing something.
>>
File: IMG_20170728_095356.jpg (3MB, 2592x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_095356.jpg
3MB, 2592x4608px
>>34683690
Pretty much all AR's have threaded barrels, the size will depend on the caliber, and make sure to do it all legally so mr atf doesn't come looking for your doggo

>>34683693
Here is what I do:
>run copper / nylon brush through barrel a few times to loosen up the particulars
>put patch on end of cleaning rod / fishing string, dip into bottle of Hoppes bore cleaner
>pull through barrel, repeat last step with new patches a handful of times
>start cleaning some other gun or make a sandwich while the bore cleaner soaks and does its job, some people leave it overnight
>run dry patches through the barrel, repeat until they come out clean
>scrub with nylon brush some more
>run more dry patches through
>cut up rem oil wipe and run that through the barrel, keeping Hoppes bore cleaner in the barrel will cause it to rust after some time

This takes care of the barrel, as for the rest of the gun:
>scrub with q-tips or brush
>dip q-tip tip in Hoppes bore cleaner, get the real dirty parts wet
>moar q-tips
>once clean, rub everything with rem oil wipes to lube and protect from rust
>put some fancy gun lube on the bits that contact and rub when shooting

Don't put get the hoppes on wood stocks, rem oil wipes are amazing for metal guns. I strongly recommend picking up a set of pic related.

I know my way of cleaning isn't efficient, but I enjoy doing it while watching tv or something.
>>
>>34683955
Ty anon
>>
>>34683582
As long as you weren't adjudicated as a fruit loop. I.e. court order. I say go for it, worst that happens is that you get denied.
>>
I can go to a cool store today and buy any of the following
K98 Mauser from WWII
Arisaka Type 99 same war
Tula Mosin same war
and I've heard they have a rack of M1903's to choose from
Should I go and which should I get?
>>
>>34683945
9mm
>>
>>34683986
1903 if cheap, Mauser if 1903 not cheap.

Cheap being <$800-850
>>
>>34682281
Submachine guns fire pistol cartridges.
Various types numbering in the hundreds were used by dozens of countries throughout World War 1 and 2, in pretty much all available handgun cartridges of the time.
In modern days the various cartridges have been standardized to about a dozen calibers or so.
>>
>>34684024
I saw online the most expensive Mauser was 799, not sure about the 1903's
>>
>>34683986
Go and take pictures of the stamps and whatnot, post them in the milsurp thread and they will be able to tell you more about each gun.

K98 may be overpriced
Arisaka is fun, but harder to find ammo
I would get the mosin if its cheap ($200~)
>>
>>34683955
thanks for the feedback, looks like i haven't been fucking up too bad
>>
>>34683716

Is that thing even made to stand up to 50lb of tension like that? It looks more like something you plink around with.
>>
>>34684910
no clue just got it from a church garage sale, I'm using a bungee chord I modified as the string right now.
>>
>>34683582
Like anons said, same story almost, try and see if you pass background, I did and was approved.
>>
File: MP5-10l.jpg (78KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
MP5-10l.jpg
78KB, 800x504px
>>34682281
One that always tickled my pickle was a 10mm MP5. Fuddlore around them was that since they were originally designed as a 9mm, their service life was shit, and they got beat to hell.
>>
>>34680775
question about rails? are all rails standard size? for example would a clip on foregrip fit any rail or does it have to be specific to the rifle?
>>
>>34680644
>Stupid questions thread
Why am i hated on /k/? Callum also seems to be hated when he postes a thread on /k/. Always niggers saging his shit and calling it bait
>>
>>34685264
if it's a standard picatinny rail, it's all universal.
>>
I've been thinking about SBRing my Glock 34 but then I found this.

https://suarezinternational.com/personal-defense-weapon-kit-for-glocks/

Should I do it, /k/? It seems pretty neato.
>>
>>34685433
Just buy a mektek (sic) carbine conversion unit.
>>
>>34680644
what model is a compact glock in 9mm?
>>
>>34685387
thanks
>>
>>34685458
Glock 19 is the compact 9mm, jts 15+1
The Glock 17 is full size 9mm 17+ 1, and there is a sub compact as well as a single stack I think.
I wish I could post this convenient picture I once saw of the glock models and there calibers and information maybe you could find it on google.
>>
>>34680644
Do they really give the smallest guy the biggest gun?
>>
>>34685614
is there a $500 glock that would be a decent HD/night stand gun?
>>
>>34688215
A used glock 19 would work and could be around that price
>>
i dun goofed up /k/ i was cleaning my p2000sk, and accidentally put clp inside the firing pin housing... what do? doing a pencil test, the pencil does not eject from the barrel after pulling the trigger
>>
>>34683693
I used to be you, now I just boresnake and wipe everything down w hornady one shot. Grease slide rails too. 5 minutes tops per gun.
>>
>>34688215
Any model would be fine. Look at used ones. Find one with nightsights already installed.

Remember, if you don't intend to carry the handgun, bigger and heavier is better.
>>
>>34688550
>$500
>A used glock 19 would work and could be around that price

The fuck? A new Glock 19 is that price.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.