[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home security

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (81KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 400x300px
Ok /k/, I just recently moved from a rural community into the "suburbs" of a large city. I will admit I have always been a little paranoid and distrustful of others (part of why I prefer rural over city life). Yes it does come off as racist, but the area I moved into has several Muslim families and quite a few Black families. My experiences with both groups is all negative as I used to be a prison guard.

Part of what truly has me on edge is the night I moved my firearms in (did it under the cover of night at 11pm as to avoid "Le soccer mom" meme) there was a group of 4 "kids" of darker persuasion riding their bikes as I am pulling guns from a car. Instead of avoiding me or at least maintaining a healthy distance, these kids rode up within 5 ft of me all staring at me. I was parked under a street light so it is not like they just accidentally rode up to me. I worry that if kids are running around in the dead of night with absolutely zero supervision, what else is going on nearby.

I want to set up a home security system in my apartment but have zero knowledge on the subject beyond the basic "point camera at what you want to record". I have a 2 story apartment, sorta like a duplex where it is a single house split down the middle.

I do want to make the room where my firearms and other paraphernalia is stored to be the "safe room".

As we all know, intelligence is as much a vital weapon as the rifle. What does /k/ have for input on how to set up surveillance and "hardening" my abode without:
>permanent modification to existing structures
>arousing undue suspicion
>staying within a low to mid budget of $500

>inb4 move out faggot
Need to be here for college and work and this is the only place I could find that wasn't literal crack house tier.
>>
Shameful self bump.
>>
>>34679672
I have a couple of nest cams. I like them. People detector does well. No need to rely on a DVR as long as you're not a poorfag and can afford the $10/mo cloud storage fee.
>>
>>34679672
>racism is my way of life

As the overlord of /k/ I demand you leave my board at once

/k/ is a progressive board and we ont want you here

My fellow /k/ommanders will remove you if needed
>>
>>34679908
Mhmmm, I can afford $10/mo even while being fairly poorfag. I do like the idea of having a HDD/DVR to store data should I ever need to file a police report. That way I know I have a physical copy of shit gets "fucky".

How much do the Nest devices cost on average? Never heard of them.
>>
>>34679672
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RUGANC/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010HWD65Q/
>>
>>34679672
i installed one of these setups in my house with the dvr locked in a mortar can bolted to the ceiling. image quality isn't great, but the best i found in the price range.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PMEG8YQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_32?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

make sure you have deadbolts on the doors, and long screws into the door frames

you may also want to consider security film on the windows and a monitored alarm system.
>>
The Nest cameras work great, a friend of mine has them covering several angles of his apartment and an outdoor camera by his garage. The Ring doorbell is pretty cool too, he has one of those as well and it's cool to get alerts when people walk up to your door and it will save pictures/video and send you alerts when motion is detected. They all back up everything for a set period of time so even if some dindu breaks your shit you'll have a picture of his face.

He lives downtown and has only had one incident, some little shithead early 20s looking guy walked up to his garage door and threw a golf ball through one of the glass panes then casually walked off at like 4AM. The outdoor nest cam captured the whole thing super clearly but nothing ever came of it. Lucky for that little fuckhead he didn't try to get in his apartment or he would've been met with a little 12ga welcome party.
>>
>>34680015
Interesting, an audio cue would be handy. Wouldn't help for when out of the house if someone gets in though. With cameras you could at least potentially provide an ID for police to look for.
>>
>>34679966
You must live under a rock desu

https://www.amazon.com/Nest-Indoor-security-camera-Amazon/dp/B00WBJGUA2
>>
>>34680054
The point is to limit time for a threat to be in your house. Nobody is going to stick around and pry safes open and what not while an alarm is going off. They may grab a TV really quick and run or just outright book it.

Camera is nice for incident response but not as a countermeasure. Nobody is going to see the nest camera and go "well I have to leave now!" .

>t. Someone who works in the physical security industry
>>
>>34680018
Nice looking suggestion. What is security film though? Presume you don't mean photographic film.
>>
>>34680054
the noise will attract attention from neighbors and the may mistake it for a full alarm system with someone notifying police.
>>
>>34680086
>What is security film though?
3m and several other companies makes a laminate film that you stick onto windows. Its transparent and prevents the glass from shattering. When installed correctly your attacker will have to punch out the frame/use tools to attack the glass for much longer.
>>
>>34680072
Good point, I didn't think of that aspect. Guess I would make a terrible criminal then lol.
>>
File: 414FUs0sUlL.jpg (30KB, 283x424px) Image search: [Google]
414FUs0sUlL.jpg
30KB, 283x424px
>>34680086
https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-8MIL-Security-Window-6-5ft/dp/B018F2FR1Q/

film you apply to laminate your windows so they have to really be cut through rather than just a quick break.
>>
>>34680102
Oh ok. Basically a way to make "shatter proof" Windows without paying for all new window panes.
>>
>>34680104
>Good point, I didn't think of that aspect.
When designing to expect crime you have 3 types of controls.

1. Deterrent - Motion activated lights, security signs, well trimmed landscaping
2. Denial - Strikeplate enhancements, window film, dead bolts
3. Response - Cameras, monitored alarms

Obviously 1 > 2 > 3 as far as protecting your shit is concerned. Inspect your abode from outside and write down entry points. Next find ways those entry points are compromised (brick + window, boot + door) . Then focus on denial/deterrent controls that mitigate those threats ( window film > brick, strikeplate upgrades > boot). Its not about turning your place into fort knox, if I want to get into your house I will. Its about making your property less difficult to breach than others.

>>34680123
more or less, look it up on youtube
>>
>>34680153
you forgot #4 armed homeowner. a dog is good for when you're not there.
>>
>>34680346
>you forgot #4 armed homeowner. a dog is good for when you're not there.
Those arent controls those are variables. Dogs only work if the bad person is black or you have an extremely well trained dog. Armed homeowner only works during a very specific set of hours.
>>
>>34680421
or you get a medium to large rescue dog that will rape anyone who isn't you to death without the slightest hesitation
>>
>>34679672
I'm from the suburbs next to an Islamic academy back home, and now for school all the college apartments are surrounded by ghettos, so I know the feel. Cameras would be nice, but I know nothing about them, so all I can really do is empathize with you and ask if your state has castle doctrine. Does it?
>>
>>34679672
Guard Dog helps. Security Systems are almost useless since Nignogs will trip them anyways and run.
>>
>>34679672
>As we all know, intelligence is as much a vital weapon as the rifle. What does /k/ have for input on how to set up surveillance and "hardening" my abode without:

You aren't paranoid for wanting extra security, contrary to popular belief, NO WHERE is safe. There are bad people everywhere, in big cities, small rural towns with less than 5,000 people, they're EVERYWHERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Admf-Rt7U

Also, it is nearly impossible to silently move across gravel!
>>
File: milhouse meme.jpg (10KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
milhouse meme.jpg
10KB, 300x300px
>>34679937
do kids really think it's funny to try to push this "progressive" meme? pic related, it's your meme kid
>>
>>34681575
You fucked it up, take a que from everyone else and just ignore those nigger faggots.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.