[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/gg/ gunsmithing general: Welding edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 18

File: 20170723_153205.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170723_153205.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Gunsmithing general. Welding edition
@zasta get in here I want to see that sweet SG-43 progress

everything from building firearms to small jobs

From the old thread
>New pastebin here: https://pastebin.com/xCTc1NwM
since the pastebin is brand new, a lot of resources can be added to it. Please feel free to share resources that can be added and I will add them to the pastebin

Lets see your projects!
>>
Is there any money getting into gunshmithing?
>>
>>34678749
Any pipe welder that can do a flat open root or a butt weld could have that working in no time. In terms of gaps, If you can step across it you can weld across it.
>>
>>34678762
truthfully?
There's a reason it's filled with mostly old retired guys.

There is money, but you have the same chance of making good money in gunsmithing as you do becoming an AAA game programmer after graduating college with your CS degree.

more likely than not you'll sit in the back of a shop doing oddball jobs for fudds.
>>
>>34678749
>@zasta get in here I want to see that sweet SG-43 progress
He keeps texting me extremely close up pics of the SG-43 at like 5am, I have no idea whats going on but hes working on it
>>
>>34678836
brb messaging him I want to know how he's gonna do his 870 trigger mechanism so I can do it on mine.
>>
Could someone measure a mosin from the front of the receiver to the stripper clip guide for me?
>>
File: UziHeads50.jpg (819KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
UziHeads50.jpg
819KB, 1000x750px
Hey everyone. If you're thinking of doing your own Uzi build or have any questions about doing so, feel free to ask in this thread.
>>
File: Parts.png (811KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Parts.png
811KB, 720x540px
>>34679040

Here's the starting pic.
>>
File: img.jpg (524KB, 2000x1039px) Image search: [Google]
img.jpg
524KB, 2000x1039px
>https://robertforbus.com/receiver-comparison/

>https://robertforbus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/akm_barrel.pdf

>http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-fal-tut-mag/notes-fal-tut-mag.html

>http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-fal-tut-rhodpat/notes-fal-tut-rhodpat.html

>http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes.html
>>
>>34678823
don't wana work for fudds.... :(
>>
>>34679097
good stuff, gunplumber always has great things
whoever is in charge of the paste pin add these plz.

I have a few things you can add to it as well.
>>34679040
uzis are such fun little guns, really fun to build. What semi conversion did you use on yours?
>>34679118
I was able to spend most of my time building AKs when I did gunsmithing, but for the most part, you're going to start off doing some really boring shit
>>
>>34679146

>you're going to start off doing some really boring shit

This. Last job I did:

>guy has a Jennings J-22
>it won't fire and the mag won't come out
>he had replaced the factory grip screw with another screw and it was screwing in too far - putting pressure on the mag so it wouldn't pop out
>made a "washer" out of a piece of thick paper, drilled it, fixed that problem because fuck paying $10 for a screw
>open gun
>big fucking chunk gone from the trigger bar
>sear isn't engaging
>actually have a replacement in my parts bin
>takes 30 seconds to knock the pin, insert new trigger assembly, and knock the pin back in
>test fire six times, gun works as great as a jennings should
>charge $40, guy is happy as hell

There is nothing sexy about working on a Jennings, though the simplicity of the design is something to admire. George was an aero engineer after all. He understood efficiency.
>>
>>34679376
>Jennings
>working
pick one
>>
>>34678762
You'd make more working as a machinist and doing gunsmithing on the side. I don't do it for the money though, I do it to appease the murdercube.
>>
>>34679709

If you tinker with them and feed the right ammo, they're really nice guns.

Where else can you get a palm-sized .22 semi-auto for $100-125?
>>
File: DemJennings.jpg (1MB, 2912x2184px) Image search: [Google]
DemJennings.jpg
1MB, 2912x2184px
>>34679709
Mine worked so well that it killed a man.
>>
where the fuck do i get a parts kit built?
>>
File: IMG_0022.jpg (169KB, 558x2536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0022.jpg
169KB, 558x2536px
>>34679146
Fuck gunplumber
Sincerely

That guy who bought an FAL kit from him.
>>34679040
Cheapest places for semi auto bolt/receiver?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34679020
Sorry for the shitty photo, but it comes out to roughly 5.35"

Now, please note this is EXTREMELY rough.
>>
File: IMG_20170611_0901206_rewind.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170611_0901206_rewind.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>34679146

Uzi guy, I used a McKay/Group receiver & bolt. As for the sear, it was an Apex "American Made" one. I say that because upon closer inspection, it had a very clear "X" pressed into one of the sear legs, a marking that means it was made by IMI, lol. I have plenty of other 922(r) parts though.

>>34679890

Yep, that's the killer is the bolt/barrel/receiver. Everything else is dirt cheap.

I actually searched Unbroken for parts kits for a few weeks and boom! Found a guy selling both + a parts kit for $300. I snatched that up real quick. He also threw in 7 thirty round mags and two nice mag holders.

All because he bought it all and then got intimidated by the project, lmao. It took me 2 days to do -- a month if you count the paint job and curing time. It took so long because I used Brownell's Allumahyde II. But the stuff is tough as nails! Worth the wait.

Go watch Gunbroker. There's lots of people who sell nearly everything you need who just get intimidated by the project or are lazy and never do it.
>>
>>34680443

Gunbroker*** not "Unbroken". Sorry, posted from my phone before I went to bed.
>>
>>34678749
i wonder if you can learn gunsmithing in the armed forces,someone have to repair those recruits lost rifles right?
>>
>>34680443
Let's say GB isn't an option because some pissy asshole decided that unforeseen circumstances regarding a living area and job or not, fuck me.
>>
>>34680511

I don't understand what you mean.

But if GB won't work, try D&D Sales, he's a good guy. I actually sold him the Full Auto bolt I had leftover from the FA kit. He gets bolts and receivers all the time, I was considering buying from them before I got that deal on GB.
>>
>>34680567
Thank you anon!
I'll definitely be checking out D&D, having seen their prices.
>>
>>34680604

Np, mayeen! Let me know if you need anymore help. I'll take pics of anything you might need to see as well.
>>
>>34680604

Btw, they also sell "everything you need" kits. Though, I'd stick to buying individually.

Apex Gun Parts just got a huge shipment of Uzi parts kits and stuff in. Usually their kits will go for $100 on sale. It includes a complete trigger housing, stock, top cover, reunion (don't need if you buy a fully welded receiver), your front and rear sight, a magazine and a barrel nut.
Also, make sure you get a kit with a folding stock. Typically, they cost the same as those with the wooden stocks. But if you ever change your mind or want both,

>Folding stocks are usually $40'ish
>Wood are only $20-25

Wood is a lot comfier too. I may get one but I love the classic 80's aesthetic of a folding stock.
>>
File: IMG_7014.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7014.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>34678749
Decided to finish cleaning up the front section before starting on the next.

Also the 870 FCG is a really neat design automatically resets the trigger when the hammer hits 90degrees. I might try changing the type of spring to make it even lower profile.

>>34678836
Kek forgot about the time difference
>>
>>34681022
>Kek forgot about the time difference
You sent me shit like 30 seconds after my alarm went off and I rolled out of bed. Stop spying on me.
>>
>>34681038
Implying I didn't bug things.

Tube and striker for FMK arrived
>>
>>34679859
>things that didnt happen
story?
>>
File: LeeEnfield4230.jpg (146KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
LeeEnfield4230.jpg
146KB, 1024x768px
>>34678749
Thinking about buying an Enfield No4 Mk1 that's been sporterized very similar to pic. related. Any tips on wood restoration since I'll likely have to buy a beat up handguard and forend?
>>
File: IMG_20170602_1636409_rewind.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170602_1636409_rewind.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>34681363

I'd it's truly been sporterized, you don't need anything. They should have taken care the restoration.
Otherwise, look up This Old House's guides to removing dings & scratches from wooden furniture. It is the exact same process using the same details to withhold the aesthetic of the wood.

Typically, here's my rule:

-Light scratches & dings get buffed with extremely fine grit sandpaper with the least amount of material removed as possible. This way you can use a Q-tip to seal it with whatever finish you have to match. If it's big enough, however, just refinish it.

-Big dings, dings and deep scratches -- take a dry cloth and wrap it around your rifle stock. Next take an iron and "steam" the dents out. With proper steam, it should be a very quick process. The wood will be swollen and require a few days to dry. Let it do so, sand down even and apply your finish.
>>
>>3467937
I had a Taurus pt111 that had the same problem. The tip of the trigger bar broke off rendering the trigger useless. The take away from this is to not buy poor fag trash
>>
>>34680495
I know "small arms repairman" and "armorer" are jobs in the military but I don't think "gunsmith" is a military job.

>>34682329
Steaming out dents works extremely well. I thought it was crazy until I tried it. You need to completely refinish the wood afterwards though.
>>
>>34682329
>dry cloth
I use wet cloth, and I don't wrap it around the entire stock. I just get a small piece damp and place it over the spot I'm trying to raise.
>>
>>34683197

I like dry and then getting it wet. Sure, it takes longer. But it ensures you don't get excessive water or water on wood that didn't need it.

To each his own.
>>
>>34682329

If*, oops. More mobile shitposting.
>>
File: IMG_0129.png (733KB, 760x839px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0129.png
733KB, 760x839px
I have a different question for you guys, particularly builders.
Do you ever find yourself getting bored of guns? I used to enjoy shooting and that got kinda boring so I focused on the collectible and building aspects of guns. I used to be really excited by building guns. When I built me first ar15 it was really cool but then I got bored of building ar's after building a couple more, so I built other guns like ak's and that was cool for a while but after I built most of the variants even that got boring.
After that I built some one off things like and rpd and a pps43 but I'm finding it's really hard to have any enthusiasm in owning, building, or firing guns. Kinda depressing desu because it was such a big hobby for me. Anyone else experience this?
>>
File: 1022 mods.png (1MB, 1435x1636px) Image search: [Google]
1022 mods.png
1MB, 1435x1636px
Are there any threaded 10/22 barrels that come with sights?
>>
Hey folks! Glad to see a general like this making it into second edition, as it can be a massive resource for good.
Here's my question:
I bought an old Marlin Model 70 as my first gun a couple weeks back. Since I got it at a very competitive price ($121 or so), it came with a fair bit of wear and tear, including some moderate rust spots on the barrel and reciever. I've been told gun oil and steel wool to remove rust spots, is that correct? What can I do to refinish the barrel on the cheap, yet still recieve good results when done carefully?
Thanks in advance!
>>
>>34684333
Try taking a month or so off, or giving a different discipline a try such as Cowboy Qction or 3-gun.
>>
>>34684629

It's a cheap gun, so stick to oil and steel wool. I usually use penetrating oil and fine steel wool. If you really want to, you could cold blue it afterwards, but unless you have extensive damage it's overkill. Those are cheap guns intended for work and aren't really meant to be pretty, so don't feel bad about it not being pretty.
>>
>>34684703
Honestly, I kinda want it to be pretty. It's my first gun, so I'm probably going to spoil it a bit. Thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>34684819
Why are you being so fucking polite? Jesus Christ. Calm the fuck down
>>
>>34684629
Like others said, 0000 steel wool and oil to remove rust. Unfortunately, there's no way to refinish the barrel cheap and easy. The best thing to do would be to pay a gunsmith to have it hot salt blued or cerakoted. The only thing you yourself cheaply and easily would be to cold blue it or just spray it with rustoleum or something. I don't recommend doing either of those things.
>>
>>34684825
Because I fucking can, that's why.
>>
Anyone got plans for a long rivet jig for aks? Homemade of course because I'm poor as fuck but can steal virtually any shape scrap from work
>>
>>34684333
I built my first ak a few years ago. Built six more between here and then. A few more other guns came along. Currently toying with the idea of a bolt action pellet gun for my son that uses shotgun primers as a propellent. Branch out. If that doesnt suit you, at least you have the knowledge building those guns gave you and you can apply it where applicable. Even if you never build another gun again you won't regret the info it provided
>>
>>34678749
Hey tripfags anyone ever fix a gory barrel? I have two, ruined one, and threaded the holes for the other. Any suggestions?
>>
>>34679932
Thank you. I am planning a hypothetical project with a molot side rail
>>
>>34685573
The fuck is a gory barrel?
>>
>>34686145
*Gluey barrel
>>
>>34686145
Goryunov SG 43. The gun in the op. The barrels all have 5/16 holes drilled in them because of the atf
>>
File: Tiger.png (1MB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
Tiger.png
1MB, 1328x747px
So I want to switch the stock on my SVD but I'm not sure if I would need to do some fucking around with the receiver.
>>
File: svd folding stock.jpg (150KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
svd folding stock.jpg
150KB, 600x450px
>>34686513
This is what I want to put on the rifle but I'm not sure if it would fit, does anyone know?
>>
>>34686513
That's a tigr not an svd. And fuck with the stock not the receiver jeez man
>>
>>34686522
Wait yeah, that would require fucking with the receiver. Im not sure if the push button folding stock would be the same on a side folder ak or not. Get the stock and foldy bits first then machine accordingly
>>
File: lXwH5B2.jpg (463KB, 2048x1543px) Image search: [Google]
lXwH5B2.jpg
463KB, 2048x1543px
>>34679890
yeah when he was able to free up the enterprise liquidations it was sweet. those kits had been in limbo for so long.

>>34680443
pretty much the exact same thing that I did, got the mckay semi parts and then assembled them onto the kit.
>>34681022
plz finish
>>34684333
In a way, yes. I got bored of shooting a long time ago, but that was because I found I don't like shooting at ranges or in public areas.
It's fun again when you can do it in your own time on your own property.

Building ARs was always boring to me. I think the only time I actually had fun out of it was the first one I did when I was 18 in my friends kitchen.

But I have never grown tired of collecting, and there are enough crazy one off builds to keep me occupied and excited over.

ARs and basic AKs bore me, but unique and rare AK variants still excite me.
>>34685573
bowman has some live barrels for super cheap atm

>>34686513
>>34686522
Yes, you need to cut the rear receiver and weld on the SVD-S stub from a deact imported from Russia.
I have a couple kits and I'm doing an SVD-S conversion
>>34686527
>That's a tigr not an svd
That's like saying a Saiga isn't an AK. A saiga is a sporterized AK which can be converted back into military configuration.

The Tigr is an SVD (Cнaйпepcкaя Bинтoвкa cиcтeмы Дpaгyнoвa, or simply "Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov")

what it isn't is an SVD-63 (Cнaйпepcкaя Bинтoвкa cиcтeмы Дpaгyнoвa oбpaзцa 1963 гoдa or simply "Sniper Rifle, System of Dragunov, Model of the Year 1963")

The Tigr is in fact, a rifle system of Dragunov. It's just not a military model designated rifle, which include, but are not limited to, SVD-63, SVD-S, OTs-03, SVD-K, SVD-M
>>
>>34688126
That rifle you have underneath the Hello Kitty parts, would that stock fit an unmodified receiver?
>>
File: svds.jpg (574KB, 1280x850px) Image search: [Google]
svds.jpg
574KB, 1280x850px
>>34688485
the polymer one? yes

The SVD hasn't been made with a wood stock in 20 years, the polymer stocks fit the standard fixed stock rifles.

wood hand-guards haven't been used in 26 years, for a few years they were being manufactured with wood stocks and polymer hand-guards, like the rifle on top.
>>
>>34679040
How hard is it to assemble an UZI if I use a McKay fully complete receiver?
>>
>>34688554
Before sanctions, why did Russia stop exporting Tigr rifles to the U.S.? I'm not sure if they were banned by the VRA or not.
>>
>>34688652
super easy. basic tooling is all you need if you use their receiver and striker assembly.
>>34688672
It was because of the VRA

Tigrs were not on the list
>>
>>34685936
Noice.
Post results when finished.
>>
File: IMG_0075.jpg (52KB, 256x366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0075.jpg
52KB, 256x366px
>>34688126
Damn, Im surprised you kinda know what I'm talking about. We'll I'm glad you can still find enjoyment in it. Lately I'll find a new gun and research about it but after I learn the ins and outs of it I immeadietly get bored of it again.

>>34684642
>>34685489
Eh, I'm starting to think I just need a new hobby. I used to have an autistic obsession with target shooting (practicing hours a day) but I haven't had the time to in the last couple years and all other types of shooting bore me. maybe I'll get back into it. I've always wanted to compete in the olympics in either 3 position or 10m. Honestly guns have always been my only hobby and I'm pretty fucking sad that I'm loosing interest. Maybe I'll try for the USA shooting team, so I have enough purpose to keep from sucking on a glock.
>>
>>34688554
How do you like that polymer stock compared to the wood?
>>
>>34688126
Please let me take a micrometer to one of those receivers and a bolt and carrier.
>>
If there were a nigger rigging general I'd ask there, but since there isn't, would cutting a slot in a steel plumbing pipe barrel for an extractor ruin its structural integrity? Considering it's already substantially weaker than a proper barrel.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.