[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scope revolver

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: bang.jpg (72KB, 1200x848px) Image search: [Google]
bang.jpg
72KB, 1200x848px
> want 357 lever action rifle that isn't henry or rossi
> most cost an arm and leg
> get idea about revolver and scope combo

How well would this work? I want to get a hunter's safety course done for hunting this fall. Iowa has now legalized straight walled cartridges for hunting, so I figure the only cheap straight walled cartridge is 357.

Problem is that most of 357 lever action rifles are fucking expensive. I would do 45 LC but I would want to reload to save costs.

How well would scoped revolvers work? I would be in a tree stand, my brother set one up a few years back. I figure a minimum of barrel length would be 6 inches.
>>
>>34676655

Well this depends, how much experience do you have with shooting pistols? Are you a good shot without a scope? Do you mind the extra weight? This will impact how well you can keep it steady when trying to use it.
>>
>>34676723
I have only shot 22 lr pistols, so barely shit. I do plan on going to a range and renting guns to see which ones are nice to handle.

It's been a while, so I might need to improve my skills.

How much weight are we talking? If a few extra pounds, im not certain.
>>
>>34676723

If you're always going to be shooting with the pistol braced against something it may not matter so much how strong you are. Many revolver manufacturers make models with hilariously long barrels just for this kind of use so you can get around rifle velocities out of them.
>>
It's hard to find a revolver cheaper than a rifle in the same cartridge. They are also significantly harder to shoot scoped or not.
>>
>>34676799
Well fuck bud. I just want to know why 45-70, 45 Long Colt, 44 mag, and others are so expensive??
>>
>>34676832
Larger bullet, larger brass case, not subsidized in the way that 9mm, .556, or other service calibers are. All of these things are effectively going to translate to higher prices.
>>
>>34676832
Components, relative lack of popularity. That said, .44 and .45 can be found for much less than $1 per shot. If that's too much you have no business hunting.
>>
>>34676655

>buy used 6-inch gp100
>get good
>???
>profit
>>
File: blackhawk scoped.jpg (43KB, 700x468px) Image search: [Google]
blackhawk scoped.jpg
43KB, 700x468px
>>34676655
>How well would this work?
I'll work, you'll just need to put in more effort and practice more.

A 6" or 8" Blackhawk (or Redhawk, if you want Double-Action) in .357 Magnum and with a decent LER scope or red dot can be absolutely suitable for hunting depending on what you're shooting at, Deer and Blackburr should have no issue dropping from a well placed shot. Ruger generally are generous with scope rings and I believe they'll come in the box with their Redhawks and Blackhawks, so you'd be halfway there once you have your gun.

>I would do 45 LC but I would want to reload to save costs.
You can reload .45 Colt too and keep costs down, but .357 Magnum would probably be cheaper still.

Also if you're in the business of handloading, Redhawks and Blackhawks are particularly suited for souped up crazy horse loads, so definitely consult some guides and see what you can feed your Ruger, you can crank out a good hardcast or Lehighs at some pretty saucy speeds, suitable for wild hogs and shit.
>>
File: blackhawk convertible.jpg (294KB, 800x379px) Image search: [Google]
blackhawk convertible.jpg
294KB, 800x379px
>>34676753
Scopes and optics shouldn't be that heavy, but they'll add some weight certainly. On the other hand this also makes for less recoil, so it's not *all* bad.

If you're new to shooting, and you want somewhere to start, the Ruger Blackhawk is available as a Convertible model. In .357 Magnum, the Convertible comes with an extra 9mm Luger cylinder, meaning you can shoot for real dirt cheap. Of course, they have a tighter bore for the 9mm, meaning .357 Magnum gets some higher pressure when fired, so that's something you should account for if you want to make hot handloads.
>>
>>34676832
Not as widespread.
5.56mm and 9mm are favorites of law enforcement and military, as stated, so there'll be huge supplies of them, meaning lower price, and they're just very popular with civvies in general too so that helps.

That said, if you want to shoot a cartridge like .45-70 Gov't, or .44 Magnum, a handloading setup is hardly a bad idea, basically a must-have for anyone who wants to shoot them a lot, you can really cut in shooting costs by reloading.

Just to illustrate, the .338 Lapua Magnum cartridge commonly goes for like $5/rd commercially, but handloading it's pretty easy to drop that down to $2/rd. You can make similar savings with most large and high powered cartridges, .45-70 can actually be rather low in cost if you put in the effort, a real dedicated miser who scrounges lead scrap could most likely shoot it for less than $1/rd, and that's just an extreme.

Then you have .357 Magnum, which is pretty popular, so it's not that expensive, but you can make it cheaper still by reloading, easily dropping as low as $0.25/rd, and probably a little less if you load your Magnum brass to .38 Special levels.
This is also a good argument for rifles in that caliber, as it's cheap and actually gets pretty good performance from longer barrels as a light rifle cartridge (especially with the right choices of powder and bullets).
>>
File: security six scoped.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
security six scoped.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>34677590
That works too.
Or hell, even an old Security Six, they're about as strong but can be found for bargains.

You'd probably have to find a scope mount separately though.
>>
Alternative solution
>>
File: WP_20140908_20_44_40_Pro.jpg (424KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140908_20_44_40_Pro.jpg
424KB, 1536x864px
I concur
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.