[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ammo getting fucked by bad weather

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: Tiresome.png (643KB, 1022x731px) Image search: [Google]
Tiresome.png
643KB, 1022x731px
I just tried shooting with my revolver at the range after leaving it locked up in my car overnight and I was only able to fire like two bullets before the cylinder refused to cycle. I took out all the bullets and it dry fired just fine, and when I put some fresh rounds in that I just bought the gun worked fine. The bullets I left in it overnight in my car wouldn't work though, and I was told it might've been because of how hot it was outside.

Has anyone else had issues like this before? Are these bullets now defective or something? I was told before that changing temperatures could mess with ammo, is there a way I can prevent shit like this happening again?
>>
Who were the manufacturers of the ammo and the gun? What cartridge?
>>
File: Windicator.jpg (88KB, 736x533px) Image search: [Google]
Windicator.jpg
88KB, 736x533px
>>34675200
It was a .357 EAA Windicator revolver, and I was shooting .357 Hollowpoints made by a company called Hornady
>>
>>34675227
That's really strange, no ammo of the quality that hornady is should be affected by even significant exposure. I really doubt the ammo was the problem here
>>
this is now an ammo storage thread

what can you guys recommend for storing .308?
should i buy those army ammo cans? i can get them pretty cheap close to where i live
is there any way to prepare the ammo before storage so it doesn't go bad in some way?
>>
File: 1487788962188.jpg (117KB, 605x412px) Image search: [Google]
1487788962188.jpg
117KB, 605x412px
>>34675180

That's scary, what caliber? Not once here, I've found rounds I've dropped on the ground from the week before during summer plus corroded from high humidity here and they still shot without flaw. Anything that was significantly corroded wouldn't cycle from the mag and had to be put in one at a time. I only have automatics but it's still just a firing pin hitting a primer.

When you say wouldn't cycle, do you actually mean the round wouldn't go bang and you could see the indent on the primer or that the cylinder literally wouldn't turn to cycle? If it wouldn't turn it may be possible that the bullet loosened from the case and became too long to allow the cylinder to move but that seems really unlikely unless the brand just had shit constructed ammo. Try the same brand and other brands, start testing, I'm curious.
>>
>>34675180
>>34675227
Look at thr recoil plate and check for burrs
>>
>>34675244
Weird. When I put some new ammo in it, from some company called Aguila Ammunition, it all seemed to work fine. I've never really had a problem like this before with my Windicator.

>>34675273
The cylinder literally wouldn't turn to cycle, no matter how hard I squeezed the trigger. But as soon as I put new bullets in right out of the box it worked just fine.

I'd do some more testing if I could, but I left the range a few hours ago and now I don't have any space to try.
>>34675277
The recoil plate? I'll take a look.
>>
>>34675273

I'm, came in late

>>34675227
>>34675244

I'm with the other anon, hornady is known for making really high quality rounds, I use their brass for rifle reloading an their 9mm +p XTP for wildlife management. All I could think of is if the brass expanded in the heat and the bullet didn't, never heard of this issue before though. Could just be a really bad batch.
>>
>>34675180
I watched that documentaryish thing. Funny stuff. You know your reputation is bad when Africans are making fun of the quality of Chinese goods.
>>
>>34675332
Yeah, the Chinese dude was just this eternally disappointed Asian dad figure to the black guy Eddie. At least the Chinese can still manufacture and export things besides raw materials, though, which is more than many African countries can say.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>34675277
Recoil plate looks fine as far as I can see. At first I thought the revolver might've been too dirty, but Im not sure now
>>
>>34675265
You need 3 things.
Vacuum sealer 30 dollars on ebay.
Vacuum sealer rolls (I prefer them over bags) 10 dollars.
Silica packs 100x 10g for 12 dollars on ebay.

Vacuum seal your ammunition with a Silica pack and it will last almost indefinitely.
Put you newly created battle packs in ammo cans for ease of inventory.
For 308 I vacuum seal 6 boxes together, for 7.62x39 I seal 8 boxes together.
Figure out the mose efficient way to stack your ammo before you seal it for maximum cramming ability.
>>
>>34675404

Well, not sure what to tell you m8, fixing any kind of mechanical issue requires you to see what's preventing operation. If I were you I'd take 10 rounds from each brand in a bag, leave them out in the sun somewhere for two or three days, take something to measure them with, and spend time at the range to find out what it is exactly that's obstructing your gun. If the rounds arent touching anything outside the cylinder then the problem has to be the gun and you should dig there. If you still have the 4 bad rounds try them again too. If you dont need your gun leave some in there from a fresh box to see if it's repeatable. If you do need your gun make sure it's pointed sideways or barrel up in the car and not pointed down.

You have to repeat the malfunction to find out what it is. You should post if you find the problem out, it might help other anons
>>
File: Screenshot_20170727-142935.png (640KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170727-142935.png
640KB, 1440x2560px
>>34675473

This might help and would explain why reloading worked. Read the entirety of pdn's revolver malfunction guide
>>
>>34675180

I found this. You might want to double check the ejector system.

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/eaa-windicator-issues-traded-for-new-gun-today.69299/
>>
>>34675473
>>34675526

I still have two of the bad rounds, so I should be able to test with that. I'll make sure my gun stays sideways in my car, and take a look at this manual. Thanks man

>>34675563
The Ejector rod seems to work ok, though I may need to oil it. I'm going to try to clean my gun tonight before I try using it again. Thanks
>>
>>34675180
I had a makarov when I washed dishes in college.

One day, I went to shoot it, and the first round was a squib.

Could have been because it was wolf, but at the time I figured it was from getting wet while I worked.
>>
>>34675780
I had a few Squibs go off once in the middle of a marksmanship test to become an armed guard.

The Instructor claimed it might've been because he left the ammo I was using in his cold garage overnight.
>>
>>34675800

Imagine being a soldier in a war. After a hard day's fight you wake up from your filthy hole in the morning as the sentries yell and head out to the trenches. And as ten thousand soldiers take aim and pull their trigger, all you hear are ten thousand clicks. "What is this shit? Oh yeah right the cold air during the night. Quick, send in trucks with ammo that has been stored in tempered garages overnight!"

Sound a little fishy to you guys too?
>>
I seriously doubt it's your ammo. The Windicator is a Saturday Night Special, and you cannot expect the same kind of reliability from it that you could from something like a Ruger or S&W.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.