[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Registered weapons

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

I was watching another episode of The First 48, and the detectives found out that a Taurus found near the murder scene belonged to the victim because it was "registered" to him.

Without fail, true crime shows and police serials will constantly mention tracing guns to people because they are "registered". That it's okay for that guy to have a gun because it's "registered".

Why do they do this?
>>
>>34673328
I know that FFLs keep a record of transfer. Also, in a lot of big cities like DC you have to register your weapons with the police.
>>
tv writers are all (((new yorkers)))
>>
>>34673328
police work? wouldn't you run serial numbers if you found a gun?

>is this b8? i dont get it.
>>
>>34673328
>locale is in a free state
>do you have a permit for that?

Every fucking time.
>>
>>34673339

I always thought (because of /k/) that it's set up that FFL transfers can't be used in a straightforward way as a backdoor registry
>>
>>34673328
>>34673342
(((They))) don't know what they're talking about.
>>
>>34673328
When you purchase a gun you fill out the form and that form then goes into a safe with a shit ton of other forms then when i crime is commited with that weapon the police contact the manufacturer who then contacts the FFL who then gives the police the form filled out for the firearm and then they continue down the path from there.
>>
>>34673346
>police work? wouldn't you run serial numbers if you found a gun?

99% sure that you can't run serials and come back with the owner's info. That's the whole point of making this thread. I mean, it may be more nuanced than that, I don't know ..
>>
>>34673351
https://www.thetrace.org/2016/08/atf-ridiculous-non-searchable-databases-explained/

the original owner may have sold the gun, but they sorta kinda can
>>
>>34673346
Running serial numbers is for guns that are reported stolen or that are registered with the ATF, the police just dont have a full database of every serial number that exists because we are not 1930s Austria.
>>
File: 1479090733526.jpg (165KB, 1500x999px) Image search: [Google]
1479090733526.jpg
165KB, 1500x999px
>>34673355
>and then they continue down the path from there.

Yea, that's the ticket. I work nights and I'm a bit tired and couldn't conceptualize the whole thing ...
>>
File: columbo1.jpg (904KB, 960x1174px) Image search: [Google]
columbo1.jpg
904KB, 960x1174px
>>34673342
>tv writers are all (((new yorkers)))

Yea, first of all, you have to discount most fictional shows because they are set in non-"free" states. But this episode I referenced was set in ATL. Folllowing a real murder investigation.
>>
>>34673351
>that it's set up that FFL transfers can't be used in a straightforward way as a backdoor registry

it turns out calling an agency every time someone buys a gun through a dealer and telling them the name of that person, and then telling the FBI to destroy their records of having looked him up doesn't work so well when the FBI and ATF don't give a shit about the law
>>
>>34673415
I'm a Georgian and my state and the city of Atlanta have never had a registry.
>>
>>34673433
>and then telling the FBI to destroy their records of having looked him up doesn't work so well when the FBI and ATF don't give a shit about the law

...which is why cops and the news say this "registered" stuff all the time, too? Even though there is obviously no registration ... It it shady.
>>
File: 1501128377994.jpg (18KB, 509x339px) Image search: [Google]
1501128377994.jpg
18KB, 509x339px
>>34673328
First 48 has some good episodes. One chick has her Taurus 9mm taken from her and was murdered with her on weapon. Another guy had his SW MP shield stolen after they killed him, he had a CCW too. Then there was the episode in Atlanta where the guy outside the club opens fire with an AK or AR pistol and the one guy tried to return fire with a Glock .40 with extended mag. He was killed and his dead body was surrounded by shells with the slide locked back. Then the best one was the motel in Memphis I believe where they get into a big shootout leaving 3 dead and wounding another. Still remember the one black dude dead as hell in the room, clutching his .357
>>
>>34673470
There are states where firearms are registered. Stolen firearms, which are reported to the police, are also put on a registry and these are used in many crimes. It is entirely possible that if the serial is taken from a gun used in a crime it matches one on a registry.

That's before you get into the ATF and FBI arrangement, which is probably the least talked about thing in US gun ownership circles as everyone seems very quiet about it. I've seen it alluded to less than half a dozen times on /k/.
>>
>>34673361
how do you know a gun on the ground is reported stolen or not? I mean If i was a detective I'd sure just tell my boss 'I suspect it's stolen' then I'd get on my phone and talk to a guy at the ATF who runs it for me, then if nothing pops, I move onto other stuff. sometimes it has to work right? I'm pretty sure only a real hard ass would put technicality's about what is a reasonable suspicion above closing murder cases.

If I have the guys name, with his corpse perhaps near by, I think with the combo of warrants, the feds, and the internet you can could find out if he had a registered gun. also just asking his wife would work too.

>also, the first 48 is edited to protect witnesses btw, so they could have had a snitch tell him about the gun, and just said that for the cameras. it happens sometimes. I google the cases for the old ones occasionally and they do hide some stuff that later is used in trail.
>>
1. You buy a gun from an FFL
2. You fill in whatever is required by the locality
3. This form is held
4. For whatever reason, this firearm is used in a crime.
5. The Feds contact the manufacturer, or importer, who then provide them with which FFLs held those models in that #### range and when
6. Your FFL gives the cops the form that was filled out by you
7. The police, or Feds, come and speak to you.
8. If you're their guy, you go to jail. If you aren't their guy, you tell them who you sold it to or was in possession of it - otherwise you turn into their guy.

"Registry" is either that, which is a true registry, or a rough equivalent of that with some steps removed if the locality requires firearms to be registered - DC, for example.
>>
>>34673496
There was one with a drive by with .50 African Eliminator. didn't catch him, zero leads.
>>
>>34673545
Damn I've definitely missed that one and I imagine I've probably seen 70%+ of the episodes. .380 seems to be a prevalent killer as well. First 48 is the shit, makes you paranoid as fuck tho because armed people get caught slipping and off guard all the time. Having a gun doesn't mean you will win or even survive
>>
File: Comfy_guy.jpg (41KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
Comfy_guy.jpg
41KB, 600x579px
>>34673328

>Mfw its against federal law to have a firearms registry
>>
>>34673769
>Noko
not required anymore famalam, 4chan auto-nokos
>>
>>34673839
I know I was making fun of some idiot last night trying to sage with it just in the name field
>>
>>34673328
What do you think all that paperwork is for when you buy a gun?
>>
>>34673328

HOW A FIREARMS TRACE WORKS
>Cops find gun
>ATF calls manufacturer and give serial number, ask what distributer the gun was sent to
>ATF calls distributor, asking when it was sent to which FFL
>ATF calls FFL, giving the date it was sent to them, FFL faxes first 3 pages of the 4473 to ATF

while not a registry by any means, this at least shows the police that at one point, the firearm was in that person's possession
>>
>>34674979
>the firearm was in that person's possession
which would allow them to speak to the previous owner in an attempt to find the person it was sold to
>>
>>34674979

If everything aligns correctly.

>nothing will be available pre-68 perhaps besides a Colt or S&W because the actual company kept records
>going to be hard pressed getting anything from 68 through the early-mid 70's. ATF wasn't even created until years after the GCA and everything was a mess until FOPA in 86
>If a trace is even successful, it's just going to give you the first owner.

Which is why older guns are best.

>get some gun from the mid-70's.
>ATF somehow manages to do a trace and get the name of the first owner.
>if purchased in 75, guy had to be at least 21, which would put his birth in 54 or earlier.
>this guy is going to be 60+ today
>If he's alive, what are the chances that he'd remember who he sold the gun to?

Where police usually have more success is going to FFL's in the area and asking if they sold the gun, because usually people who commit crimes are stupid and buy their tools in the same area. Just like a case from several years ago:

http://www.wral.com/family-wants-fbi-probe-of-durham-pd-after-teen-s-death-/13206475/

The guy had an old Haskell (pre Hi-Point Hi-Point) in .45 and offed himself. They could only trace the gun to a pawn shop in Georgia in 1993 (IIRC). So that gun was off the books for 20 years and nobody knows nothing.
>>
>>34673470
>Even though there is obviously no registration
No nation wide registry, some states/cities have them.
>>
>>34673328
the purpose of media programming is social conditioning
>>
>>34673769
>First 48 is the shit, makes you paranoid as fuck tho because armed people get caught slipping and off guard all the time. Having a gun doesn't mean you will win or even survive
They choose the cases they air carefully to enhance the sense of risk attached to carrying.
>>
WHAT IT, WHAT IF A CRIMINAL FILES OFF THE GUNS SERIAL #? WHAT THEN? WHAT DOES A GLORIOUS REGISTRY ACCOMPLISH? CRIMINALS ALREADY DISREGARD THE LAW, WHAT STOPS THEM FROM DOING THAT? NOTHING
>>
>>34673328
How are guns registered to people? Does it happen during the background check?
>>
>>34673496

First 48 is inner city niggers blowing each other up over ten dollar bags of weed.
>>
File: 1501011066348.png (516KB, 500x587px) Image search: [Google]
1501011066348.png
516KB, 500x587px
>>34673532
>also just asking his wife would work too.

OP here, that's what I figure they really did in that episode. But they said "registered"
>>
>>34675344
>They choose the cases they air carefully to enhance the sense of risk attached to carrying.

Well, usually someone has to end up murdered before their "case" ends up on the show ...
>>
>>34673545
>.50 African Eliminator
I've never heard that before lmao
That's amazing
>>
>>34676929

Hi newfag

Lurk moar
>>
>>34673355

Learn grammar.
>>
File: jorji freedom.jpg (38KB, 550x196px) Image search: [Google]
jorji freedom.jpg
38KB, 550x196px
>>34675135
>>get some gun from the mid-70's.
OR
>mill out your own receiver for a 1911
>lmao what is a serial number
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.