[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's actually viable enough for home defense?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_3672.jpg (146KB, 1300x909px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3672.jpg
146KB, 1300x909px
I dont know much about guns, but in my head having any loaded, modern pistol with a flashlight next to your bed is enough protection against the offchance of a home invasion. It's compact, can be held in one hand while you flip switches or lock doors, and the light for obvious reasons.

Is there a general consensus about what the ideal setup for home defense? I understand shotguns have a wider spread but I'm worried about shooting someone I didn't mean to while under pressure
>>
>>34672179
A rifle or shotgun is going to be easier to shoot under stress and easier to learn to shoot well. A handgun works fine but isn't as easy to shoot well...but it's small and you can store it in more places. Really up to you and depends heavily on your circumstances.

I personally have a handgun with light and an AR15 for home defense.
>>
A lock.
>>
>>34672185
Where do you keep them? Ever have a situation you thought youd have to bust them out? You ever seen a ghost or anything supernatural?
>>
>>34672179
The ideal weapon for HD is whatever you feel comfortable and are the most practiced with in the confines of your house.
Practice clearing your house in the dark from time to time. Like once or twice a week
Also just so you can sleep a little more soundly, get better doors.
Get stronger hinges, a sturdier frame, a thicker door, longer screws for said hinges, and a badass lock. Maybe throw on an extra deadbolt.
And make sure your windows won't open if some asshole puts a windshield scraper under them.
>>
>>34672220
Seems logical. What do you know about choke points? Are they just a closed in space?
>>
>>34672201
Handgun is either in the nightstand or in a holster on me. AR15 is propped against the nightstand or in the safe when I'm not home.

I've pointed the handgun at someone once when I walked outside and found 3 guys had broken into my truck and were trying to remove the stereo. Never had a break in.

Ghosts go on /x/.
>>
>>34672228
Choke points are generally anywhere where somebody might be forced to travel through and endure being in an unfavorable position.
Said position is being in enclosed space where they have a higher chance of being shot.
Stairways, Hallways, places where there's nowhere to run or nothing to hide behind are well known choke points and classic spots to engage intruders.
Keep in mind if you yourself are in a choke point you fall prey to the same disadvantages.
>>
>>34672201
>You ever seen a ghost or anything supernatural?
To weigh in on this point, my second year in college all I had was my bird hunting gun (Benelli Nova with a 28"bbl in Max-4 finish) and I scared the shit out of my neighbor searching for the source of a knocking and scraping sound. Didn't ever find it but man I wish I'd had a handgun at the time to put in a concealed holster and search the outside of my house with instead of a fucking 4 foot long boomstick.
Never found an opossum or raccoon hangout, never saw rats, never saw roaches, but every once in a while a knocking and scratching sound would start up in my bedroom and I couldn't just let it go.
>>
>>34672260
Wierdo

You probably blow the OH SHIT charges, and go innawoods with your bugout bag everytime UPS delivers a package.
>>
>>34672229
Danm. Where do you live man? How did the guys respond? Did they get arrested? Also why can't you just post any of your ghost stories, don't got any?
>>
>>34672288
Wake up to take a shit at 3am only to hear something on your roof but see nothing, you'll understand the frustration.
>>
>>34672260
Room mates? Where you in a older building? It might have been the pipes or something?
>>
File: 200% Knife-Hands.png (413KB, 475x599px) Image search: [Google]
200% Knife-Hands.png
413KB, 475x599px
>>34672301
god fucking damnit stop it.
I'm looking up at the ceiling every couple of minutes now.
>>
>>34672301
Better fire a warning shot next time
>>
>>34672303
Also do they sound like a human is making them or it could have been some smaller critter?
>>
>>34672298
I live in the US, that's all you get.

They responded by throwing down the screwdrivers they were holding, raising their hands, and then running down the street. They had a fourth guy in a pickup waiting, jumped in and sped off. I called the police and gave descriptions of them and the truck. They got spotted minutes later and chased back to their house a few blocks away. They ran inside and pretended to not be home. Police waited them out with threats of kicking the door in. Last I heard two juveniles got probation, two adults got a brief jail stay and probation.
>>
>>34672303
>>34672313
It sounded like a small critter. Maybe a cat or raccoon or opossum. But I never found one or their poop and we had 5 dogs living in the house. Maybe roommates, but to my knowledge the roommates didn't sneak around the attic at 3am. It was a 3,000 sq ft 4bd/2br house built in 1961 though.
>>
>>34672316
I guess that could have gone worse. Also I understand you wanting to have your privacy. But I just wanna say I'm a 21 year old guy living at home in NYC. I don't have a penny to my name right now and I'm going to driving school so I can try to work for uber or a similar delivery service. Im no threat to anyone but I'm just now realizing that you ugly be more concerned about everyone else on here.
>>
>>34672326
Good chance you've got mice. Maybe an owl too. There's one here that likes to chill on my roof at night and makes a bunch of scraping noises while he's getting comfortable.
>>
>>34672332
I dont know how auto correct turned "'might" into "ugly"
>>
>>34672332
NYC gun laws are kinda shit honestly. I live in an almost rural area and my story about the truck stereo thieves would probably get you arrested in NYC.
>>
>>34672352
Yea even I know about how insanely difficult it is to get a concealed carry permit over here. As far as I know the only guy that has one is that Anthony cumia guy. You know anybody in the city?
>>
Anything that kills is a good HD gun.

>muh wall penetration

Sorry you live in the US were walls are literally a sheet of wood.

Try doing the good work and use concrete or bricks in between walls, or stick a few sheets of metal or kevlar just in case.

Then get a .50 cal penetraion rifle for home defense
>>
>>34672362
In NYC? No. I've got a friend from upstate though. He introduces himself as a "refugee from New York seeking political asylum".
>>
File: IMG_3664.jpg (265KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3664.jpg
265KB, 1920x1080px
>>34672375
So he was born here & moved away?
Don't blame him. I like the city honestly. It's very convenient, you see a lot of interesting people and stuff, and at least to me you kinda have this weird pride of living in a place a lot of people travel to come see. But I also lived in Orlando Florida for 7 years and it was suck a nice change of pace. I don't think people are supposed to live in this setting for to long. It was nice having your own house and a little space. Hate winter to

Pic from my window yesterday. Camera makes it look darker
>>
>Is there a general consensus about what the ideal setup for home defense?

Not really. Depends too much on what's legal where you are, what likely threats exist in your area. Somebody in an apartment in the chicago noose will have a different approach than say suburban arlen texas, the hills of west virginia or a ranch in South africa.

>>34672332
>NYC
Oh shit. Work on the basics, like legally having guns and being able to shoot them before you worry too much about using them for home defense. I'd also consider other options, so you have some other choices than the nuclear option.

Do you like dogs?
>>
>>34672316
>I live in the US, that's all you get.
>This much opsec on a Taiwanese underwater basketweaving forum
I like your style.
>>
File: 1482803502079.jpg (27KB, 650x296px) Image search: [Google]
1482803502079.jpg
27KB, 650x296px
>>34672179
What would /k/ think of a self-defense rifle roughly the size of an AR-7, chambered in .22 WMR, using high capacity magazines and an in-grip or bullpup configuration?
>>
>>34672179
>weapon-mounted light
>pointing your gun at what you havent seen yet

Seems stupid if you have people living with you
>>
>>34672952
Stupid. If I'm going to be using a zippy .22 caliber weapon it's going to be loaded with 75gr TAP/OTM to mitigate any possible collateral damage.
>>
>>34672952
So an MP7/9?
It'll do, but if rather not have to hose down the fellows breaking in than just put a couple well placed shots with a .45 or 12ga. 5.56 would work well too, in a pistol build.
>>
>>34672179
If you like pistols, any double stack 9mm.
If you like revolvers, any six shot .38 Special +P (or higher).
If you like rifles, any 5.56 carbine or 7.62x39 carbine. Note on these, you're going to want a suppressor.
If you like shotguns, any pump or semiauto 12 gauge loaded with 00 Buckshot.

If you don't know, pick a shotgun. You don't "aim" a shotgun, you "point" it. The shot will spread out, but not the spread that movies and TV shows will say it does. Especially in close quarters.
>>
File: P30L Moss 6 10 17_zpsvmqba6gq.jpg (662KB, 1024x714px) Image search: [Google]
P30L Moss 6 10 17_zpsvmqba6gq.jpg
662KB, 1024x714px
>>34672185
>>34672220

These are uncharacteristically quality posts, anon(s)

>my HD choice
>>
>>34672179
Literally that, a handgun with a light.
>>
>>34672952
Not unless it's full auto. If it's semi auto then 5.56 will deffo be more effective
>>
File: baseballbat.jpg (13KB, 700x335px) Image search: [Google]
baseballbat.jpg
13KB, 700x335px
>>34672179
>>
>>34673595
I take home defense seriously, as should anybody.
Least I could do is drop some decent (to my knowledge) advice.
>>
>>34672179
I would feel pretty /k/omfy with a full size double stack (minimum of fifteen 9mm rounds) with a flash light on it. But ultimately I like my rifle.
>>
>>34673646
Get a hand gun and a light. But don't put them Together. You want to be able to see without having to point your gun.
>>
>>34676601
You do realize you can flood light and umbrella light with a WML perfectly safe, right?

Every time WML comes up it's this misunderstood concept, there are plenty of techniques to avoid breaking any firearms rules with a WML.

Another option is WML on the gun, hand held to ID, dop hand held, roll and activate WML and mag dump with confidence and a superior grip
>>
Question to amerifats. What if your home invader sees you brandishing your penis enlarger, runs away, pulls out ak from trunk of his car and turns your cardboard house into swiss cheese to teach you lesson?
>>
>>34672423
>like the city honestly. It's very convenient, you see a lot of interesting people and stuff, and at least to me you kinda have this weird pride of living in a place a lot of people travel to come see.
NYC is a fuckhole. Fuck that shit city.
>>
>>34677139
That's some excellent hyperbolic theory crafting, the answer is, no one knows because it's never happened. (ok maybe happened to some gang members / drug dealers, criminal on criminal violence - not my concern)
>>
Also why you don't build your houses out of proper materials like bricks and concrete like the rest of the world does, and install metal doors so it will take home invader half an hour to break in if he's skilled at it? Isn't that preferable to fantasizing about shooting robber at 4:00 AM (who probably took some adderall to stay sharp)?
>>
>>34677139
>home invader runs away, gets big gun, goes back

Because that would be unrealistic.
>>
>>34676601
Dear God, shut the fuck up. Putting the light on your weapon is logical. Being a little bitch about pointing your gun at things is not.
>>34677139
You shoot back, pussy.
>>
>>34677171
Ask brazilians if that's unrealistic
>>
>>34677180
It was a question to us LOL amerifats
>>
>>34677180
In brazil you dont have time to go follow the fucker or wake everyone up or call the cops in the meanwhile.
>>
>>34677139
Assuming they're breaking into your house to rob you, they have better things to do than risk a first degree murder charge over what will amount to maybe a few hundred dollars worth of stolen items that they get away with. Easier to just move on to a different house with less protection
And if they're trying to break into your house to kill you then it doesn't matter if you're armed or not, they'll still want to kill you anyway
Very stupid question
0.5/10 got me to reply
Please kill yourself retard
>>
The average distance at which a self-defense shooting occurs is 21 feet. The most common distance at which a self-defense shooting occurs is 3 feet. The most common self-defense scenario will involve firing 3 shots in 3 seconds at one attacker.

As for the weapon itself, anything that has a proven track record of effectiveness in defensive shootings will work just fine. Bear in mind that smaller/slower projectiles will require a more precise hit to incapacitate the target compared to something like an AR or a shotgun.
>>
>>34672179
I dont need a gun.
I just downloaded an app for my phone, it can make the deadly sound of racking a shotgun, and niggers run just from hearing that sound.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.