[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

mosin or sks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

help me /k/ I have a dilemma

I can't decide between a mosin or an sks as my next fun

I want to use whatever I buy as a multipurpose rifle that I can also hunt with

so here's my dilemma

while both are solid dependable rifles I like the SKS because it's a bit more modern and 7.62x39 goes for around 20 cents a round, however for hunting you really don't want to be outside of 150+ meters with a 7.62x39 (which has similar ballistics to a 3030)

the MOSIN on the other hand with it's 7.62x54r is accurate out to around 400-500 meters if you want to take down a deer, my concern is that if I want to plink with a mosin it's gonna cost me 40 cents a round just for surplus

help me /k/ I can't decide (I'll probably pick the loser up later on but I'm debating which one to buy now)
>>
>>34664737
SKS if you can find Russian or Chinko Norinco Paratrooper model
Mosin in any other case
Def Mosin if you can find one with a PU scope.
Just my opinion though
>>
>>34664737

SKS every time.

The age of the Mosin Nagant is long past. Neither the rifles nor the ammunition are cheap enough to make up for their glaring flaws. If you're set on getting one of those two, get the SKS. The ammo is cheaper, it's more accurate (within the effective range of the 7.62x39), and it's a handier weapon to carry around innawoods.
>>
>>34664737
For hunting you really should be using a Mosin ( there are much better modern hunting rifles for a similar price). Mosins are often really inconsistent, some will be accurate, while some will be shot out, and shitty. Overall the sks is a better general purpose rifle, but hunting anything larger than a deer at close range will be difficult.
>>
>>34664796

yeah I wanted the SKS so I could go innawoods and fend for myself

the problem is I live in communist california so it's not like I could fire it off to kill some game bc
> muh permits
>>
You are an asshole if you think you are going to get a clean kill with a mosin at 400 meters. It's a 4 moa rifle.
>>
>>34665063
maybe he's a god or is gonna get a scope
>>
File: 1500952274157.png (146KB, 408x480px) Image search: [Google]
1500952274157.png
146KB, 408x480px
>>34665063
400m is will within kill range for a neck or heart shot

especially if he's using SP and not surplus rounds
>>
>>34664737
Modern bonded bullets make almost any small bore or intermediate loading ridiculous. Use the cheap stuff to practice with and the expensive stuff to hunt with, and keep your shots at or under 100 yards, and the SKS will be fine.
>>
>>34664737
while hunting, you don't want to be over 150 meters from your target in general.
>>
>>34665151
I am aware the round is lethal at that range. What I am saying is that the rifle is so inaccurate, when you aim for the targets you mentioned you hit the animal in the gut because your groups have opened up to 12" to 16".
>>
>>34664737
Buy both
>>
>>34665151
>neck or heart at 400m

good fucking luck
>>
>>34665916
true, but accuracy on mosins can widely very based on luck
>>
>>34665963
heart meaning center mass of the chest

54r SP in the chest will take it down from that range
>>
>>34665947
desu this is the best answer
>>
SKS, Mosin ammo is too expensive and SKS is better value. Of course I have major bias as SKS is my fave rifle but hey
>>
>>34664783
Mosin snipers actually suck. They are very hard to reload because there is so little clearance between the scope and action. You can also get weird jams where the rim of the case gets stuck between the magazine body and interrupter and you have to use your firing pin/cleaning rod to press in the interrupter to take the cartridge out.
>>
>>34666139
well yea
but Vasily made it work so it's still cool, if for no other reason than the historical value
>>
>>34664737
I sold my Pu mosin and bought a battle rifle. IMO its the best move if you want range and "good enough" accuracy. compare the weight and length of a mosin to a fal. Then compare .308 and 7.62x54r. You arent losing a whole lot.

Mosins dont make good hunting rifles because of other options available. It is also difficult to find cost effective OEM stripper clips, which make loading a Mosins much more pleasurable. Hunting ammo is also expensive and hard to find.

The SKS holds more ammo and weighs about the same. its also cheaper to shoot, has cheaper and more available LBE and feeding devices.

I'm not sure where you are but hunting at 4-500yds is in the territory of magnum cartridges and optics. Slavshit rifles dont have good sights, accuracy or the ability to mount optics for the most part. That is unless you dump a bunch of money into it and create a sub par hunting rifle

Tl;DR Buy a .308 vepr or other battle rifle
>>
>>34666222

what it I'm in cuntshit california

no removable mags allowed bc
>muh babies

any good internal mag battle rifles?
>>
>>34665030
>>34666294
Just bite the bullet (literally!) and buy a Mini-14. Look, 5.56 is the second most common ammo type sold in this country (after 9mm), and in an SHTF situation, ammo availability is super important, so you want a rifle that takes ammo you can get anywhere. For SHTF guns, stick with 5.56, 9mm, 12 gauge, .38/.357, and .22lr - with anything else, getting ammo if things really go sideways will be very iffy.
>>
>>34666517
this isn't for a SHTF scenario tho senpai
>>
>>34666587
You should have one, though.
>>
File: Why not both.gif (1017KB, 468x356px) Image search: [Google]
Why not both.gif
1017KB, 468x356px
>>34664737
Well?
>>
>>34669163
one day desu
>>
>>34664796
this
>>34665030
if you're in california the SKS is golden, just make sure to buy some stripper clips. BXN or yugo are where it's at. Norincos are decent, russians are very nice, only has to do with your budget. If you can, I'd buy a russian as they're more collectible.

If you want a budget bolt gun for hunting, buy a savage axis or ruger american in .308.
>>
Also should you pick up the SKS, be sure to buy Tula 8M3 rounds. Great hollow points, and with 10rds you gotta make every one count.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.