[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recurve Bow General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

I want to get myself a recurve bow but I don't know a decent one from a shit-tier one. I used to really enjoy archery as a teen using my old man's bow, but for one reason or another I fell out of it over the last 7 years and really want to get back into it. Anyone know a decent recurve bow for a relatively cheap price (>$300). As of right now, I'm heavily considering pic related, a simple Martin Archery Saber TD 40#
>>
File: 1494401662897.gif (90KB, 350x400px)
1494401662897.gif
90KB, 350x400px
>>34661297
>>
File: [loud trap music].jpg (129KB, 452x680px)
[loud trap music].jpg
129KB, 452x680px
>>34661319
Why the fuck are you bumping a post after 6 minutes? /k/ is not a fast board.

I would have helped you if you hadn't bumped.
>>
>>34661428
Op here, that wasnt me anon, it was somebody else. Check the posters count at the bottom
>>
>>34661297

PSE Nighthawk should be in price range, same with basically all Samick bows. Now that I look, all the PSE recurves are under $300 on their site. Personally not really keen on metal risers on trad bows, but that's just preference.
>>
>>34661297
check ebay, got one for $200 a few years back with all kinds of shit
>>
>>34661297
The samick sage is the meta beginners recurve bow. Great quality, great price.
>>
I have won several archer tournaments in my country and I was an archer for about 5 years berfore quitting. I would recommend getting a used Hoyt bow. You shouldn't buy bows from gun stores or something like that, they're overpriced and often junk, instead talk to someone in an archery club or on an archery forum. Recurve bows actually can be used for hunting and self defence, they can fire pretty quickly, but a gun is still better.
>>
Buy something like this
http://hoyt.com/target-recurves/risers/formula/formula-excel
Have a gander. This is what a lot of people I know have.
>>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoyt-Grand-Prix-Excel-66-ILF-Competition-Style-Recurve-Bow-/261456898018?hash=item3ce00ba7e2:g:BhIAAOxyfyhRYK~A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hoyt-Grand-Prix-Horizon-68-ILF-Competition-Style-Recurve-Bow-/262107027176?hash=item3d06cbd6e8:g:~-YAAOxyM1VRYK5N

If you check an archery club there's always people selling old bows and shit, really, that's where I'd recommend you go check. They often have people volunteer to train beginners and stuff.
>>
>>34661297
Vintage Bears are excellent, you can find them on ebay often. I think a 45 lb Black Bear is a good starter.
>>
>>34662700
This is absolutely what I would do. I have 4 recurves, 3 are relatively high-end bows I bought new. None of them stack up to the old Bear I bought for $10 at a yard sale and put some money into a good string. That thing has "feel."
>>
>>34662700
Would you really recommend a 45# bow for someone who has not practiced archery in 7 years? He should begin with something between 25-30, at least.
>>
>>34662890
It depends on how strong he is. I was using a 26 lb bow when I was 13 or so. I think he should try a few different strengths and see what suits him. You don't want to go too high or too low.
>>
>>34662896
Starting low end on draw weight can be better for many, though. Lets them get a feel for the bow and it won't take long before they really crave moving up for better performance. I've seen a few who started out a little too high and never made it past a few days' attempts.

When I was teaching my kids, I started them out with a tiny bit higher draw weight than was probably good for them as a beginner, told them "once you've fired 100 arrows, you'll have the hang of it, no doubt - that's the thing, 100 arrows. Just stick with it until then, everybody gets it after that, nobody gets it before that." Then we'd shoot 10 or 15 a day, no more, for a couple of weeks. By that time, all of the little things were coming together - technique, muscle memory, strength improvements in rarely used muscles, eye coordination, and sure enough, by about 100 arrows they were confident enough that it was enjoyable and easier for them to continue. Then we started talking about things like "for every 100 arrows you get on target, your skill goes up 5%" (which is made up but probably somewhat accurate starting out, anyway). Sure enough, they couldn't wait to practice a little more knowing they'd keep improving, and they did.
>>
>>34662890
Most summer camps for kids use 25#, I got a 25# for my 8 year old nephew and he does find with it.
An adult male should be able to handle a 45#.
>>
>>34661766
PSE recurves are shit

Get a samick sage OP and call it a day. Or spend some real shekels on a bear grizzly. 3 rivers archery is your best bet for arrows and equipment
>>
>>34663072
Samick and Hoyt are the only two brands archers would use, and the only bows I've owned.
>>
>>34663072
Can confirm 3 Rivers as a good source, though if you can find a local archery shop they can help with things like determining what length to get your arrows cut to. I bought a half dozen locally and then ordered more from 3 rivers, when I knew what I wanted.
>>
>>34663151
Also the quality of the arrows is very important as it relates to accuracy, good arrows aren't cheap.
>>
File: TradArch.png (962KB, 559x668px) Image search: [Google]
TradArch.png
962KB, 559x668px
>>34663050
As >>34663022 said. An adult male can handle it. But won't get good at it. You should be able to fire a lot of arrows without getting tired. If not, you might develop a bad form and injure yourself. As an analogy, would you advise people in the gym to lift the heaviest hey can (as in barely able to lift)? They wouldn't really be able to do a lot of repetitions, develop muscle memory, risk injuring themselves, and would give up on going to the gym. Summer camp is not exercising, they'll not be doing it for more than a few times. We're talking recurve here, not compound. A lot of archers develop shoulder injuries for this very reason. At least that's how I understand this.
>>
>>34664110
>would you advise people in the gym to lift the heaviest
45# is not "the heaviest" in most states it's the least legal for hunting. With a 45 2 dozen arrows a day would be no where near a strain.
>>
>>34664749
Never implied such a thing. What I'm saying is that 45# is too high to begin with as it'll disrupt you from developing a good form and muscle memory. Getting tired when learning this is not a good thing.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.