[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

gun kata / gun fu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: 1500221030513.png (573KB, 710x842px) Image search: [Google]
1500221030513.png
573KB, 710x842px
I just got done watching Equilibrium, and immediately went online to research gun martial arts. I found a few small places that mention it, but really no training or developed martial arts schools.

I thought I'd ask gun fanatics for their opinion on this. Can there be an effective martial art which treats the gun as a total weapon, and not just a projectile weapon? Or are guns just not built to smack people around, or parry an opponent's blows?
>>
>>34653368
No, because the gun is NOT a total weapon, and neither are you. Gun kata has two parts, predicting where bad guys will be to shoot them as fast as possible- This is called point shooting, and is a real skill police and .mil use.

The fae ass part is the part about being kung-fu enough to not get hit. Mobility will help if you have to draw down on a lone gunman, but will not help as the movie depicts- you will get hit.

Also, the gun does more damage than you possibly could any other way by shootingthe. The whole point of a gun is so you dont HAVE to be a total weapon, because you can avoid melee altogether.

All of the movie choreography was Philipino martial arts, i.e. Escrima, Arnis de Mano, Kali, whatever you wanna call it.
>>
>>34653413
Thanks for explaining, man. Still.... it'd be pretty cool if that shit was possible.
>>
Martial arts is the systematic study of fighting on the personal level. When the army teaches recruits to fight with an assault rifle, that's a martial art. Take a self defence shooting class, and that's a martial art. Martial arts do not mean old foreign fancypants stuff.

While there may be some bayonet stabbing here and smashing someone's temple with the stock there, as you pointed out guns aren't really meant to smack people about. They're really good at killing at a distance, so instead of focusing on what to do when someone gets close you're better off making sure they don't get close to begin with. And once up close, you can still shoot fuckers with them, the bullet kills real good as soon as it leaves the muzzle.
>>
>>34653451
Gratti, senor
>>
>>34653368
John Wick is basically how far Gun-Kata could realistically go, even though I doubt even that is really practical.
>>
>>34653489
So..... you're saying.... there's a chance?
>>
>>34653500
Well, John Wick isn't actually hitting people with his guns, but rather using his body to restrict their movements and avoid being shot at.

So, it theoretically makes sense, but practically, probably not.
>>
File: 1492203569565.png (409KB, 477x456px) Image search: [Google]
1492203569565.png
409KB, 477x456px
>>34653368
Actual Israeli military krav maga has a lot of techniques for fighting in close quarters with a long gun as well as a pistol, say if someone were to charge you and lock your gun up with their hands. The main objective here is to get them away, get enough distance between you to reenter the gun into the fight, and then to kill them with the gun. You want to hit them hard, fast and a lot, and not get into a grappling contest over your rifle.

MOUT is it's own martial art, in my opinion, and requires quick desicion making, solid intent, precision, speed, and violence. This is always practiced with your breach team, because breach teams need to know everything that everyone on their team does, how they like to do it, and the idiosyncrasies that you inevitably pick up. You need to be one with the other members of your team, and be totally confident in every aspect of the stack.

Marksmanship training is all important. You should not only bench/prone rest shoot, but also reflex shoot (turn, identify and engage, preferably after some one else has moved the target) and endurance shoot, stand, crouch, and learn to shoot around cover, not over it. Endurance shoot as well, i.e. do suicide sprints for 2 minutes, and then get 10 rounds on a target in less than 20 seconds. There's always more to train, more to learn, it becomes a game of millimeters.

If you think Jerry Miculek isn't a Grandmaster level martial artist you're insane.

Git gud, anon-san. Also, do dumb shit for fun, but fucking be safe. It's fun as shit to dive sideways while you shoot at a target, just make sure everyone with you is far behind you when you do it.
>>
>>34654151
To clarify, I know this isn't an answer to OP's question directly, but good answers have already been given and this is my case for Firearms training being a martial art in and of itself.
>>
File: 3eA2qMp.jpg (19KB, 400x337px) Image search: [Google]
3eA2qMp.jpg
19KB, 400x337px
OP here again. Alright, so from what I'm sensing from all of you:

1) do krav maga,
2) be Keanu Reeves,
3) know military stuff,
4) don't expect life to be like the movies

... I feel confident about this, time to train
>>
File: bane60.png (8KB, 355x424px) Image search: [Google]
bane60.png
8KB, 355x424px
>>34654313
Feckin DO IT faggot.
>>
>>34654313
you got it. just remember to have two berettas for style points.
>>
>>34653368
>an effective martial art which treats the gun as a total weapon

Its called bayonet drill dumbass.
>>
File: 1497072160761.jpg (43KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1497072160761.jpg
43KB, 344x344px
>>34654491
Be nice, I'm new to weapons
>>
File: gun kata.gif (2MB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
gun kata.gif
2MB, 400x250px
>>34653368
>>
File: M3 and Kabar.jpg (78KB, 638x455px) Image search: [Google]
M3 and Kabar.jpg
78KB, 638x455px
>>34653413
>The whole point of a gun is so you dont HAVE to be a total weapon
This is on point. That's exactly why fighting knives have gotten smaller over time and often aren't carried at all anymore.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.