[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Picking a second battle buddy?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 24

File: Dante 1.jpg (82KB, 451x970px) Image search: [Google]
Dante 1.jpg
82KB, 451x970px
Posting this in /an/, but I'm not getting much help... I'm looking for a GUARD dog, one that can defend my home, and one that will act as a companion to my current dog.

I have an amazing golden retriever that I absolutely love, but he's no guard dog. I was thinking of picking him up a buddy but have been having trouble deciding on a breed, I'm pretty indecisive when it comes to big decisions like this. Just wanted some outside opinions.

My preferences:
Sociable to some extent. It will be raised with the most loving dog breed of all time, so I shouldn't have to worry to much about them arguing anyway. I still want a dog I can socialize, however.
Larger the better, something over the 10lb range. My Golden is about 85lbs at 2 years old. Want something bigger than him.
Low/medium energy. I don't want a Belgian Malinois, German Shepherd, or similar breed since it has so much energy to burn on a daily basis. I have nearly a half acre yard for them to run about in, plus I take my golden to the dog park every morning before work, so playing around at the park with other dogs, the golden at home, and some light fetch outside should be enough for it. Another way to put it is that it should have similar energy levels to what a golden retriever might need, not TOO much more. Training isn't an issue, however.
Preferably no exotic, hard to come by breeds. I feel like highly exotic or low volume breeds with very few breeders in the US will lead to inbreeding, and that's out of the question.
-cont
>>
>>34648816
Preferably no show breeds, it should be a working or field breed that isn't genetically fucked up for the sole purpose of being a show dog.

Most importantly, is fine living in a hot climate (southern Nevada) regardless of being an indoor dog. I don't want the dog to needlessly suffer not being in a super cold climate if that's what it was bred for.
Would likely be Schutzhund trained or trained similarly like my old shepherd was. Training isn't a major issue, I never had a problem making time.

I know I sound picky, but it's for good reason. This is a companion to me and my dog (puppy pic above) and a battle buddy for when we go hiking/home defense

I was looking at getting a Rottweiler puppy, since it meets most of these standards, but was sort of wanting something a little larger.
With whatever breed you suggest, if you have a recommended breeder for me to look into as well, feel free to mention them. Thanks in advanced!
>>
>>34648816
over 100lb range*
>>
>>34648816
Posted in other thread, should get a husky, they're great dogs if you can deal with the fur, your retriever would love them too.
>>
I use to have a guard dog (190ish pound rot)

When I was away at work, some nig nog tossed laced meat over my fence, my doggo died of it.

Don't let the a dog be your only solution. Plenty of dogs are killed each yr from people killing them before a break in, or during the break in.
>>
>>34648816
>I'm looking for a GUARD dog, one that can defend my home,
Hahahahaha.

.20 cent bullet takes care of your fucking dog and it's not a murder charge.

Get insurance.
>>
File: 20170520_135238.jpg (300KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
20170520_135238.jpg
300KB, 1328x747px
>>34648816
>I have nearly a half acre yard for them to run about in, plus I take my golden to the dog park every morning before work, so playing around at the park with other dogs, the golden at home, and some light fetch outside should be enough for it

That should be plenty of activity for a GSD, a Maligator would probably get antsy though. GSDs are very adaptable, my girl on the right grew up with us in an apartment. Now that we are in a house, those two play outside most of the time. Every now and then we will take them to the dog park or out to the lake.
>>
File: 192.jpg (240KB, 1478x980px) Image search: [Google]
192.jpg
240KB, 1478x980px
>>34648977 Here

>>34648959 has a very good point. My two pups are alarm systems and nigger/solicitor deterrents. They have an intimidating bark when pissed off or scared, but I don't expect them to actually defend against an intruder. That's what my AR is for
>>
>>34648947
>>34648959
I have guns too, but most nigs will be scared off or fucked up by a good dog or two.
Besides, I'd rather my dog get shot before I do, if he keeps them at bay for 5 extra seconds it could mean me getting my gun or not.
>>
>>34648977
I had a gsd, and granted it didn't have a play mate, that fucker was all energy up until the day he died.
>>
File: 20160328_135345.jpg (429KB, 747x1328px) Image search: [Google]
20160328_135345.jpg
429KB, 747x1328px
>>34649119
I will say my girl is pretty laid back. When we went to the breeder, I picked the one that came and curled up under my legs and fell asleep while the other puppies were playing. The boy my wife picked because he was the only white one in his litter, he has a bit more energy. But still, if you go to the dog park every morning that should be plenty of activity. Mine only start acting out if they have been pent up in the house for a few days.
>>
>>34648913
>husky
>low energy
>>
>>34648816
I find the notion of a "guard dog" in 2017 vile. Sending my dog do attack an intruder? A. it's morally reprehensible when I have a gun and b. it's not cost effective. Also the intruder may have a gun too. you can have a guard dog breed to wake you up so you don't get surprised but that's about it. I'd suggest this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0arplaninac
>>
>>34649168
>But still, if you go to the dog park every morning that should be plenty of activity.

while it may seem like dogs like to run around with other dogs more, playing with you is more stimulating and tiring. fetch and tug of war with repeating all the basic commnds throughout the session is better and more time-effective than letting the dog run around with other dogs...
>>
>>34649344

Or you can do both.
>>
>>34649312
You sound like an utter faggot

Please keep using your trip so I can filter your gay ass opinions.
>>
>>34649373
do you even know what a trip is?
>>
File: 20170103_130459.jpg (842KB, 1594x897px) Image search: [Google]
20170103_130459.jpg
842KB, 1594x897px
>>34649367
Yeah, I have to agree with this. My pup would go run around with the other dogs for the first few minutes, but the rest of the time she wanted to play with me and didn't give a shit about the other dogs. It was more of letting her run around a big field off her leash while also getting some socialization on the side.
>>
>>34649455
>>34649367
obviously what I meant was if time is a problem, opt to play with your dog yourself instead of letting it just run with other dogs. usually, you can do that in your yard too instead of having to spend time on going to the park....
>>
>>34648816
Great pyr.

Big as fuck, sounds mean as fuck, lazy as fuck, gets along with anything smaller than it great, is a working dog.
>>
>>34649312
Some people want a big or intimidating dog to walk, especially at night, on top of their gun. It's an open carry muscle bag with sharp teeth that helps keeps people from mugging you in the first place.
>>
>>34649455

This right here. The dog park I go to, is about 80+ acres (pretty long, not so wide) my Norwegian elk hound/German Shepard mix loves to haul ass all over the place, my beagle brand beagle just stays by my side as we walk the perimeter, playing as we walk. The elk hound comes up and plays with me for a bit, runs off again to play with the other dogs.

Plus my elkhound loves to be chased by other dogs, will bark and pounce on other dogs until they chase her. With my fucked up knee, no way in he'll I can chase her like they can.
>>
>>34649507
It looks like white Goldens as well. They'll match well.
>>
Rottweiler and its not particularly close.

1. they are flipping huge
2. they are a bit lazy around the house
3. they are extremely loyal to family
4. are nice to fellow pack/family members as long as raised wit them.
5. are very smart and not nearly as high maintenance as a GSD.
>>
>>34648816
Does this look like fucking /an/ to you?
>>
>>34649801
they are mentally unstable and can be aggressive against their owners
>>
>>34649543
THIS
my gsd is a goof but around the house she is hyper alert and will growl and scare the shit out of anyone that gets too close to me my other dog or my cat.

I have my doubts about her actually doing something to an intruder but up until that point she can be very intimidating.
>>
>>34649821
Like any other working dog if you abuse or act like a bitch around them them will try to be dominate.

I love my gsd but she can be crazy neurotic. I appreciate the lazy factor of rotties.
>>
>>34649477
You're a dumb fuck.
>>
You are a dumb fuck and let me explain why.

-Guard dogs require extensive training; like $10K+ worth of professional training or club memberships
-These dogs require incredibly high drive and energy and are often specifically the dogs you said you do not want
-Having a dog to guard your property or family is fucking retarded. That's your job. Quit being a little bitch.
-Having a dog trained to guard means that you want it to be aggressive. Are you sure that you want a creature encouraged to be aggressive and make the proper decision on who to bite/attack/kill? Are you confident that you've trained it properly to do that?

Oh, and fuck off to one of the Schutzhund forums where people will tell you what you need to hear and not what you want to hear.
>>
File: 20170724_200528.jpg (2MB, 1802x1222px) Image search: [Google]
20170724_200528.jpg
2MB, 1802x1222px
>>34649937
An untrained healthy working line gsd will be an excellent 'watch' dog but they are not the same as a guard dog. They are related but very different skill sets. Most gsd look and sound the part which is more than often all that matters.
>>
>>34649937
>Guard dogs require extensive training; like $10K+ worth of professional training or club memberships
I schutzhund trained my last Shepherd by being part of a free group that allows other breeds to train as well. It's a sport too, don't forget.
>>34649937
>These dogs require incredibly high drive and energy and are often specifically the dogs you said you do not want
Drive and energy are not the same. Yes, energy is important with drive for chasing someone down, but there are a shitload of large/massive dog breeds that have low energy and high drive to protect their family. High energy, high drive dogs end like like german shepherds, belgians, and more on the extreme end caucasian shepherds.
>>34649937
>Having a dog to guard your property or family is fucking retarded. That's your job. Quit being a little bitch.
I work 8 hours a day like most employed people. I can't sit at home in my mother's basement all day like a NEET neckbeard. Also, many, many people have dogs you fucknut, dating back to ancient times, used in Roman warfare, used in almost every war of any notability in the world...
>>34649937
>Having a dog trained to guard means that you want it to be aggressive.
Ah, never mind. I thought you were being serious, but now I know you're just retarded.
>>
>>34649937
shut up bitch
>>
>>34649805
no but you look like a faggot
>>
>>34648816
Don't get a fucking Shitbull, if somebody invades your house it just might maul you.

German Shepherds are loyal, social and powerful, but breeding's been shit for them lately, so you'd need to find a purebred.
>>
File: Gusto2.png (3MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Gusto2.png
3MB, 1600x1200px
>>34650811
>but breeding's been shit for them lately
There's a lot of great breeders in the US that breeds working GSD with no stupid ass back slant, a broader head, that's meant for sporting or guarding. I had an 80lb shepherd that puts my golden retriever to shame in terms of power and courage, an absolute beast. Which is fine, because goldens aren't meant to be guard dogs. Mine doesn't even bark at anything but his food bowl. Very loyal however.

I wouldn't get a Pitbull, I don't trust them. They're the pinnacle of niggerdogs and I'll have nothing to do with them.

I was considering another Shepherd, I really was, but I just can't replace my last one. I also wanted something a little bigger, I always wanted some 140lb dog to have around.
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 500x303px
>>34650154
Sport =/= legit guard training.

High energy is required for keeping up with the training, but you are right about the differences.

Fair point. I would still rather the person takes the stuff if the mere presence of a dog isn't enough deterrence. Would hate to have my dog get hurt, which is why I would never want to expect the dog to defend my property.

I didn't word it properly. I thought you were the typical white/brown/black trash that comes in here wanting some aggressive dog to chain up in the front yard. We get probably one a week, so I just assume now, hence the rhetoric. I suppose you know quite a bit more of what you are doing and looking for.

>>34650179
Aww you hurt my feelings.
>>
>>34650898
>Sport =/= legit guard training.
It does in Schutzhund training. It's the exact same training, they just put the dogs in a ring to hit a sleeve instead of a guy running away, but it's the same training and same commands.

In upper level Schutzhund competitions, the dogs will also use scent to find objects/people and must follow obedience as well. Aggressiveness or fear is a disqualification.
>>
File: 1466978256523.jpg (403KB, 1200x835px) Image search: [Google]
1466978256523.jpg
403KB, 1200x835px
>>34648816
>I'm looking for a GUARD dog
Rhodesian Ridgebacks barely even need to trained to guard, they run on pure instinct if they're bred well enough. And they can be trained to be hunting dogs as well, known for helping people hunt lions back when the white man was in charge of South Africa.

>Larger the better, something over the 10lb range. My Golden is about 85lbs at 2 years old. Want something bigger than him
Female Rhodies are 65-75lbs and males are 80-90lbs. Keep in mind though, that they are pretty compact. My dog is a Rhodie mix, and she's only 60lbs, but that's 60lbs of pure muscle.

They're fairly energetic, but I don't think there's a single dog on earth that wouldn't be happy with a walk, playing with some other dogs and fetch.
They do need some good running everyone once and a while though.
>>
>>34648816
In terms of your size vs energy requirement you have some issues.

So a big dog does not necessarily mean it will be a great/effective guard dog when it comes to actually putting in work. A 130lb male rottweiler who is barking and frothing at the mouth is a great deterrent and can be very effective at actually 'subduing' an attacker/intruder but that doesn't mean its going to be a "guard" dog.

If you are actually searching for a guard dog get a breed that has a history of doing that job. A tank of a breed can be great but nothing will beat a breed that has done this role over and over again, after all they are selected because of its history.

I witnessed my buddy's self trained 65lb maligator take down one of our friends who is straight up muscle (long strory, he was drunk and being an idiot knowing how this dogs capabilities and how it responds to certain, lets say, actions) no problem. She just did her job. (guy was fine and realized the error in his ways the next day)

Most dogs dont need a "whole lot" regardless of breed. A mal is often kind of the generalized as the super hyper, if you dont run a marathon every day dont get one, breeds. But in reality if you know the type of games it likes to play and have the half acre just spend an hour or 2 of dedicated play (they think of it as work) each day and you should be fine, more on weekends.

Maybe try to find a mixed breed pup, but not one you selectively breed. A lot of the traits you are looking for can be detected at a young age since they are "inherent" so if you have a trainer friend bring them along.

Lastly, if you really want a guard dog dont expect it to be as lovely dovey as your current pup. My dog is always chilling between me and the door, looking out the windows, or between me and 90% of my guests except close friends she knows (aside from most women, she really is a great wingdog). You wont get a dog that is cuddling up to you or eager to sit on your lap all the time.
>>
>OP thinks someone who really wants something he has won't just shoot his fucking dog
LOL
>>
>>34652602
>he thinks taking backup into a dark alley, out for a walk, etc. is bad
>thinks having a home alarm is bad
>thinks one of the 90% of people that break in without a gun are going to do so if large dogs are on property
>thinks someone will break in even if they have a gun if there is extra risk involved instead of finding another house
>>
>>34652602
Pretty sure you're a retard mate
>>
>>34648816
I think the consensus of this thread is to get a rott or deal with a shepherd. Both are amazing dogs, the rott fits your preferences excellently, and both are pet friendly, meaning they'll get along with your golden retriever just fine.

If your dog can model their behavior by showing them what love is, they'll be great dogs.
>>
File: mal.jpg (77KB, 736x512px) Image search: [Google]
mal.jpg
77KB, 736x512px
>>34648977
>Maligator
my nigger
>>
>>34651487
>I witnessed my buddy's self trained 65lb maligator take down one of our friends who is straight up muscle

I'm a 250lb man, and I've been put to the ground several times by sub 70lb mals. it's not the weight that gets you, it's the speed.

that said, mals and gsds aren't an ideal breed for the regular working man w/o a wife of kids. the maintenance is just a little much, unless you're ready to commit 100% for the next decade.
>>
File: IMG_0590.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0590.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Dogs are a deterrent not a solution. I have a Doberman and his sole job is to sound the alarm when he detects something I don't. I also have nice big beware of the dog signs visible on every outside door. I don't want my dog hurt so I would rather make my house seem like to my effort for the possible pay off. A guard dog can be a breed with an affinity but I believe if your dog is not trained relying on that your dog will guard your home while you are away is dumb. I also walk my dogs in my neighborhood so everyone sees I have big dogs. I also don't leave my dogs outside when I am not home so the opportunity of poisoning them is lessened.
Pic related my pupper tactical alarm system and heavy snuggler pupper platform
>>
File: fullsizeoutput_55a.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
fullsizeoutput_55a.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>34648816
German Shepherds have great natural instincts. Just be a good owner and socialize the dog and be training it constantly.
Me, a beagle is good enough. I just want a dog that will let me know if someone is in my house
>>
>>34653552
>>34653604
>>34653349
You're having a hard time aren't you.
>>
File: fullsizeoutput_55b.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
fullsizeoutput_55b.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>34653609
fucking yes. its so irritating, happens constantly when using my iPad. This should solve it though
>>
>>34653631
ahhhh sweet relief.
>>
>>34648913
>>34649507
He is in southern nevada and only has half an acre, and since it would be his only GP it'd be bad since one breed would want to be up during the day while the other one only wants to sleep.

OP look at a spanish mastiff then. the males get up from 150-225lbs, are a lgd so they can be good with other dogs/ppl if trained properly and can handle high heat areas since the places in spain where they'd keep track of the flock could range from freezing to 100*

I have a GP and live in south texas so I always bring him in once it gets above 95*. I have 2.5-3 acres penned off for him to run around, but if he gets out he will literally roam for miles chasing off hogs/coyotes.
>>
>>34651487
>>34653235
To the people suggesting the Rottweiler, I agree 100%. I had a Cane Corso/Rott mix that was 135lbs growing up. When I was 12 I had a group of bullies follow me home and jump me because they wanted my gameboy advanced sp, which I don't think anyone else had yet.

Anyway, we had a sliding glass door that faced the front yard where you could see out, and this dog waited there every day because it went right into the hallway towards my room. I was getting hit and literally screaming for help as 4 black kids were beating me, and this dog literally broke the glass pane out of the door hitting it so hard, ran all the way down our driveway, and those kids were fucking gone. Dog was sitting on me and snarling, growling, barking, frothing at the face, even I was fucking scared because I never saw Canis get so worked up before. I remember him almost sitting on my chest while I was holding a broken nose and those kids ran home and told their parents a dog attacked them. Well, luckily all of those kids were degenerates, had no bite marks, and one basically told on themselves that they were hitting me.

That damn dog lived to 14, can never replace that dog. I wasn't even the dog's best friend, mom was, dad second, I was just someone who lived there and pet him frequently, but he wasn't having anyone's shit.
>>
>>34655834
good dog.
>>
>>34655834
>sitting on my chest
He was covering you from additional blows anon. How did your parents respond?
>>
>>34656245
Mom was really upset we had to pay for a new glass pane, dad was doing nothing but praising the dog and bragging about him at work the next day.
>>
>>34648816
Sounds like almost any of the mastiff breeds would fit what you want. Loud barks, large bodies, can get along with other dogs. ie English, Bullmastiffs, Bordeauxs, either Cane Corso or Neapolitan(known for ripping hands off, back in the day), Danes, American Bulldogs, etc.

My Bordeaux isnt trained aside from sit, stay, calm, lay down, and leave it and he good enough for alerting my neighbors and shewing away anyone walking around outside our house.

Btw, you can train any dog to only eat what u feed it and avoid posiined food. However it can be difficult.
>>
>>34648832
>Preferably no show breeds, it should be a working or field breed that isn't genetically fucked up for the sole purpose of being a show dog.
Get a mutt, but one with a definitive lineage.

Retriever/shephard, or something like that. No single breed is perfect for anything except the specific task they were bred for, and mutts are healthier anyway.
>>
File: argentine-dogo.jpg (36KB, 466x400px) Image search: [Google]
argentine-dogo.jpg
36KB, 466x400px
Argentinian dogue
females are the best.
very protective and courageous.
but they hate injustice from their master, you have to treat them right.

there are tons of story about these dogs saving their master's life against wild animals or other bad guys.
>>
File: IMG_2405.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2405.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>34657118
cont.

They were breed for big game hunting and defense dog.

my sister have a female one, she get her when she was a puppy and raised her without any difficulties.

I had dogs all my life, I know them pretty well but this race is my favorite.

Those dogs are extremely intelligent, not the kind of intelligence like border collies that remember tons of words, but its more like a social intelligence, they know what's going on around them, very farseeing.

They are social and they do not search to fight or dominate other dogs, they know they are the strongest and the other dogs know it too.

I've never encountered dogs like that, they are the most gentle while being the most protective and combative when you need them to be.

My sister lived for some time in a shitty town, and her argentinian dog protected her several times in the street, its like the dog knew there was something wrong way before my sister even saw the danger, and was ready to fight.
It may be strange but its like they can feel people's intention.
>>
>>34655834
this kind of stuff....man
dogs are better than people.

I had a husky wolf growing up that was like this. I'd like to think my gsd would do something like this but I am not sure. She seems very protective of my cat though lol
>>
>>34657339
some dogs are really good at reading body language. they know two seconds before you when something is going down. The closest my crew gets to something like that is the magical way they know when I am leaving the house (meaning I'm not coming home for awhile so they go to their room) compared to them knowing I will be right back. It's freaky
>>
File: 20160919_104906.jpg (217KB, 735x980px) Image search: [Google]
20160919_104906.jpg
217KB, 735x980px
>>34657772
I have to brag on my pupper a bit... Two quick stories

>At wife's grandparent's place out in middle of nowhere
>Made a small campfire in the driveway, hanging out drinking with some friends
>Hear coyotes in distance, that's normal, don't think anything of it
>A while later a group of coyotes start going crazy in the adjacent field
>Stuka is immediately on edge, everyone shuts up
>I grab my CZ P-01 and start slowly walking towards the fence
>The entire time Stuka is glued between my legs, matching every step as I creep to the fence
>See some movement in the dark, shoot off a couple rounds in that general direction
>Hear coyote yelp and the pack runs off yapping

She had zero training in that regard, and it was the first time she ever heard a gunshot. She didn't even flinch, just continued scanning the darkness from between my legs
>>
File: Doggos.jpg (2MB, 2777x2771px) Image search: [Google]
Doggos.jpg
2MB, 2777x2771px
>>34649507
>>34650811
>>34653604

>>34648816
All righty OP, I haz some experience with these two breeds (Great Pyr and German Shepherd, Pic related, my doggos)

Both make EXCELLENT watch dogs.

Note, I'm saying WATCH DOGS, not Guard Dogs.

My Great Pyr is extremely friendly, loves people and smaller animals. It's adorable how much he loves kids and little animals actually.
His best quality is how attentive he is to noise, esp. at night. Neighborhood kids cutting across my lawn? He'll tell me. Coyotes in the backyard? He will tell them at length to fuck off or he will personally rip their throats out. I'm up getting a drink of water unexpectedly? "THE HOUSE MUST KNOW OF THE INTRU- Oh, hi Alpha, nevermind it's you."

This is not a dog that will attack a human readily, but I have no doubt that he would protect my wife from any 4 legged predators. He is extremely protective at the dog park, and other dogs have learned quickly not to rush in the direction of my wife or I. Against two legged predators, I'm less certain that he would act in our absence. If someone were attacking my wife, I think he would act. Not eager to test that. I'm told female Pyr's are more protective.

My German Shepherd, on the other hand, is extremely suspicious of humans. She sleeps a little more soundly than my great pyr, but she does not tolerate trespassers, and had a go at a friend of mine who startled her (no blood drawn, thankfully, and the friend was experienced with doggos and knew it was his fault) She is a loyal and wonderful dog, but not keen on strangers.

Both are excellent watch dogs - which is all I am asking of them. They are a definite deterrent, as evidenced by the kids no longer cutting across my lawn, the hurried deliveries from the mailman/UPS, and both serve as companions and guardians of our home.

If getting a GSD, consider getting one from the East German or Czech lines. Those lines placed an emphasis on performance, not appearance. Above all do NOT get a showdog. (cont)
>>
File: 20160821_162319_1471814643965.jpg (419KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20160821_162319_1471814643965.jpg
419KB, 1200x1600px
>>34657914
2/2
>At the dog park with wife and kids
>All is well, a lot of dogs there all playing nicely
>Stuka is running around having fun being chased around
>Girl and her little pit puppy come into the park
>Pup is super excited, runs up to every person sniffing them and jumping up to lick on them
>Pup makes his way to my daughter, she's about 3 at the time
>He jumps up and accidentally knocks her down. She starts crying
>By the time I pick her up, Stuka has run from the other side of the park and tackles the pit sending it rolling
>Growling at him staying between him and my daughter the entire time

I eventually calmed her down, although she stayed on edge the rest of the time there. I felt a little bad for the pit since it was an accident, but it was nice to know how protective she is. Again, no training at that time, all instinct. Similar things happened a couple other times at that park, both with the same result.
>>
>>34649507
>>34650811
>>34653604

>>34648816 (OP)

(cont from) >>34657961
If you want a dog that you are certain will at least attempt to protect you/your SO/your home from two legged predators, get a GSD. Just understand that you are committing to exercising and training that dog daily or it'll get a little neurotic.

If you want a breed that is a good family dog, has a mean bark, does not require as much exercise as a GSD, but may be more bluff than actual defense against an intruder, consider a Great Pyranees.

They are both excellent dog breeds, and both will readily alert you if something is amiss.
>>
>>34657815
yes and it really varies from dogs.
My parents have a border collie, he's so smart about stuff like he knows the name of every of his toys, know basic physic like he knows that his ball can roll in the stairs so he likes to play alone throwing the ball and going down to bring it back and throw it again from the stairs.

But for fuck sake he is totally brain dead regarding home defense.
The stupid fuck cry of joy everytime a stranger comes near the home, even if its someone he never met, even FUCKING GIPSIES that come to see if they can break in.
The last time he brought his ball to the gypsies and threw it at their feet to incite them to play with him.

This dog is kind but really useless
>>
>>34657968
My gsd is like that with my cat and other dog in and around my house. In public places my other dog is so friendly and is just so happy no person or other dog is ever threatened by him I don't have any kids and have had my fair share of oh shit type moments in my life so it takes a lot to faze me. Shes never really been tested in a public setting but I would like to think she has both the confidence and the self control to know whats right.

I go out to the river all the time with my dogs and if my mutt sees a person swimming out in the middle of the river he will tear ass out to them and will swim circles around them until he figures out they are ok then will come back to shore. If you grab onto him hes such a powerful swimmer he will take you back to shore. I'm up around 220# and he does this with me on the regular

I have mired your dogs on here before.
>>
File: 05122016299.jpg (596KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
05122016299.jpg
596KB, 2592x1456px
oh goody, doggy thread!

pic related is coming back today from a 10 day vacation to see the ocean with my parents. I missed her so much!
>>
>>34648832
You want a Cane Corso possibly mixed with something a bit more relaxed. My guy is mixed with bullmastiff and is a big chill dude but doesn't allow anybody close to the yard.
>>
File: IMG_20150324_173642213.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150324_173642213.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
Posting some of my German Shepard/Husky mix

As a puppy
>>
File: IMG_20160625_105505409.jpg (2MB, 3232x2424px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_105505409.jpg
2MB, 3232x2424px
>>34658962
Fully grown
>>
File: IMG_20160625_105242726.jpg (1MB, 2424x3232px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160625_105242726.jpg
1MB, 2424x3232px
>>34658981
>>
>>34655834

While I agree that Rottweilers are the best dogs ever, the guy says he lives in Nevada and many rottweilers are not fans of the heat

Other than not liking the heat, my rottweiler has been loyal, protecting and cuddly to both me and my wife, hes great with other dogs and children and never stops keeping watch of the house.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.