[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 7mm-08 enough for elk?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1497.jpg (219KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1497.jpg
219KB, 960x717px
I want a very light rifle for backpack hunting (below 6lbs) and if rather not abuse myself with a .300WM or 7RM. Any thoughts on this?

Also, general hunting thread I guess. They're rare on here but always enjoyable.
>>
>>34643751
>Is 7mm-08 enough for elk?
Yes, absolutely. With an adequate load it's enough for moose as well.
>>
>>34643751
Yes it will work. My dad uses one for his elk trips and it works well.
>>
>>34643997
Out to what range does he hunt at?
>>
>>34643751
You're worried about a few pounds on your rifle? Are you going to get that elk out with a helicopter? Its going to be the real heavy part.
>>
>>34644855
This type of hunting is when you want to pack as light as possible. So you can carry as much meat as possible.
Especially if it's a solo/2 man hunt.

Watch some Randy Newberg videos on youtube, he has a lot of info on elk hunting
https://youtu.be/Cfd3XkHDaDA
>>
>>34643751
22lr should do the trick, just aim for the eye.
>>
>>34644886
Do you butcher it out in the woods?
>>
>>34644913
That's the best option. You can buy game bags that are made for just that. They are just a flexible material that keeps bugs and moisture off of the meat until you can get it all back to base camp.
If you have to make multiple trips, you can always tie the extra meat up in a tree to keep it away from any bears while you're gone.
It's also good idea to have a good gps so you can mark different locations like the kill site, your vehicle, or a camp you made
>>
>>34644913
Yeah, or quarter it at very least.
>>
>>34645013
I should add, Randy Newberg has multiple videos on YouTube talking about what he takes in his backpacks/truck for trips. It's a good baseline to go one and you can add/subtract anything you want to it
https://youtu.be/Wr_QcASb1Z0
https://youtu.be/kFa8C6NvbEw
And how he processes a elk
https://youtu.be/nbnp82DWMCE
>>
>>34645040
I've seen lots of his videos. The guy is awesome. I wonder why his channel isn't bigger.
>>
>>34644902
I legit had a hunting guide tell me he didn't care what caliber for a hog hunt because "I can drop a bull moose with a .22"
>>
>>34645072
Very few hunting channels get big just for the fact that a lot of the population either aren't hunters and are on the fence about it, or are against it.
>>
>>34645166
I hope he gets gored for spouting bullshit from a position of authority.
>>
>>34645166
What a dickhead.
>>
>>34643751
7mm-08 will do just fine, though I'd probably consider something bigger if you're hunting over greater ranges. Take this with a grain of salt though, as I'm not very confident with unsupported shooting over 100 metres.

Re: hunting, I'm getting ready for this year's seal hunt! Got to borrow a boat on the condition I return it as it was, which shouldn't be too hard, as the owner is a slob about keeping it clean. I'm gonna head to the store tomorrow to get some halibut hooks to attach to the buoys I've made (empty gallon water jugs), and a long hook to fish them up with if they sink.
I'm only now learning that they're not particularly hard to shoot, and that I should've opted for something in .223 firing piss light varmint bullets instead of the comparatively huge 180 gr Federal Trophy Bonded bullets I got for my .308, to avoid ruining the fur. Gonna take it as an excuse to buy that Vepr Super I've been wanting for next year, I guess. It might also come in handy for the geese, which I'm thinking to shoot with Sierra Match King bullets this year, as I haven't been able to settle my mind on which shotgun I want. As of now, it's beginning to look a lot like a Franchi Affinity.
I've also been told I might have a spot at a moose hunting team in October, which I'm stoked as fuck for.
>>
>>34645166
I bet he was a poacher. Poachers love 22lr.
>>
>>34645210
Not a hunter and don't have hogs here, but how often do people get gored by them? Are they very aggressive animals?
>>
>>34645754
Depends on how thick the underbrush is.
Here in Florida it can get really thick and it's common to get within 10 yards of hogs that are bedded down and not making any noise.
If that happens and they get spooked and take off out of the brush, it can be a recipe for getting charged.
They aren't "aggressive" in the sense that they will go out of their way to attack you all the time (although a big boar will sometimes do this). It's more like... hogs don't give a fuck about what's in their way and will run through you. Rather than around you.
>>
Get a .280 rem little more powder cap. And not bad on recoil. I have both 7mm-08 and .280 took the both elk hunting. If I could choose only one the .280 it fits all the bills quite nicely.
>>
File: c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpg (72KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636.jpg
72KB, 636x358px
>>34645829
Are they not the most fun/best thing to hunt?
>Help preserve environment
>Get shit load of pork
>Kill big dangerous beasts
>Take dozens of them at once, who doesn't like mass shootings
>>
.243 is enough for Elk. Hell, .223 can do it if you're close.
>>
File: FullSizeRender.jpg (1MB, 2181x1579px) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender.jpg
1MB, 2181x1579px
>>34645914
They probably are. I've had a couple close encounters and it's always a fast paced hunt once you've found them and start closing the distance.
Turkey hunting is also extremely exciting but doesn't quite have the "danger" factor hog hunting does
>>
>>34643751
Yes, 7mm-08 is perfect for that. Use 150 grain bullet, and you'll be fine.
>>
>>34646080
Jesus Christ anon, you hit him with an exploding bullet?
>>
>>34646469
That was from 00 buck at about 8-10 feet
>>
How about 30-06? The previous owner my my Winchester m70 used to hunt grizzly and moose with it
>>
>>34645914
>>Get shit load of pork
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're rarely eaten. Too tough and/or parasite ridden I think.
>>
>>34646281
Great. Any recommendations in a non-custom rifle? I've been looking at the Kimber Montana and Howa Alpine and potentially some higher priced ones like the Kimber Mountain Ascent or the Weatherby V Ultralight.
>>
>>34647166
ive eaten wild hog. its fine. grind it up if you kill an old one thats too tough.
>>
>>34647230
Anything will work desu, just get what feels right. Kimber would probably be best if you want light weight without an abbreviated stock/barrel, but Weatherby is also good if you have that kind of money. A Ruger American or Savage Axis will suffice, their compact versions should be around 6 pounds and their full size around 6.5. Mossberg Patriot is attractive.
>>
>>34647166
I've eaten lots of em. Sure there are gonna be some real shitty ones, and God forbid you butcher it wrong or gut shoot it. But there are plenty worth eating. The piglets are the best if you plan on eating em though
>>
>>34645265
You going to club any seals?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.