[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Remington Jew out on their finishing process?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

Why did Remington Jew out on their finishing process?
>>
Remington is no longer its own company, but a property of freedom group.
>>
>>34641492
Bluing is expensive.
Only a bare handfull of gun companies blue anything other than low-volume luxury guns anymore
>>
>>34641492
Profit margin

It's like you don't know anything about Capitalism.
>>
>>34641492

anon im sorry to tell you anything from remington made after 2006/7 is trash
>>
>>34641544

Not just companies - gunsmiths don't even do it anymore. A local FFL pays me $50/hr to do custom bluing and plating jobs for him. He even bought the equipment but him nor his other people know jack shit about doing real bluing or plating, but they can paint some shit in duracoat or cerekote i tell you what.

It's a dying art, especially proper prepwork and plating.
>>
>>34641555
OP here. How much does it cost, on average, to get a gun refinished with something that won't need to be redone? And is there anything in particular I should look for or ask of the shop?
>>
because cerberus group bought them and george soros runs it
>>
>Remington
>owned by freedom group
>who is owned by Cerberus captial management
>Key people: Steve Feinberg, CEO
hmmm
Even then,the trade in 1987 magnum I bought last year has some rust issues. Bought it like 8 months ago, haven't shot it, but no noticeable rust on it. Put in in the closet look at it ever week, nothing. Then recently I took the barrel off and there was rust in the chamber and bolt face (I haven't even shot it yet) so I spend like 2 hours cleaning the thing with a rag. Chamber was spotless and I put some marvel mystery oil on the chamber,check back a few days later and some new rust formed some fucking how. Cleaned it a bit more and just sprayed a ton of 3-1 oil down the bore since it's aerosol and it's been ok but I need to get a 12 gauge bore brush and just polish the chamber up.

The humidity has gone up so that probably explains the issue, no problems on the outside of the gun at all though despite being a worn trade in, bluing still feels nice despite looking wavy and shit.

No issues at all on the 510 target master I bought last year from some guy for $70 (cost me $100 because the guy insisted on using a FFL for a single shot .22 that predates serial numbers). Tt has the nicest bluing of anything I own and the finish is in great shape even after being used as a trainer for 20 years, the stock being refinished and being made in Dec 1948

In general most US gun companies (even non US ones too really, fucking FN sends Hi-Powers to Portugal to get assembled) has gone to shit as time has gone on.
>>
>>34641492
The same reason they fucked up everything else.
>>
>>34641587
okay, who let Alex Jones in?
>>
You may not have noticed it, but mass-market firearms are in a race to the bottom these days.
>>
>>34642397
Don't tell me this. I recently picked up a Shield that I finally was able to get some range time on.
>>
File: IMG_0585.jpg (2MB, 4032x2109px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0585.jpg
2MB, 4032x2109px
Based old school Remington
>>
>>34642446
You just picked up a gun from a company that likes to backstab the very people that support them. NP buddy.
>>
>>34642459
Fuck me, man. How do they backstab people?
>>
File: 20170721_870PM.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170721_870PM.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>34641492
I have a 870 Police Magnum made in the early 2000s and it came from New Jersey police. They were running Mossberg made barrels on it and it kept having lock up issues so I replaced it with a Remington parkerized 18.5" barrel and the problems are gone. I'm happy with it so far.
>>
>>34641492
American gun owners need to band together to buy the freedom group.

The future of our favorite brands depends on it!
>>
>>34642476
Why do you think the lock hole on S&W's are called hillary holes?
>>
Because millenials are broke kyle
>>
Same reason they no longer sell remington 870 expresses with more than a 4+1 shell capacity forcing you to pay more for upgrades; jews.
>>
>>34644287
And deliberately making it impossible to add extensions without drilling out the magazine tube so they can sell overpriced tactical models.
>>
>>34641492
Remington realized they can make tons more money by selling shittier finishes.

870 Expresses with their shitty QC and finishes are still flying off the shelves at almost the same price as they were before (hence, making Remington $$$ while the consumer gets fucked).

98% of Americans only fire one box of ammo through their gun and then stuff it in a closet for the rest of their lives.

It's poor choices from producer to consumer.
>>
>>34641492
>>34642734
Thats not even a joke, as much of a meme that it is that millennial actually have ruined everything, its that much more true in the gun industry.

You expect someone with 30,000 bucks in college debt (minimum) who will be lucky if they make that in the first year of working will have the guts to invest in a >$1000 gun?

On top of the fact Millenials can't handle money for shit and would rather blow it on something else within a month of having their first paycheck?

On top of the other fact millenials dont understand the concept of investment?

with the cherry on top being that the demographic that buys guns the least, is the least politically motivated, and if they are politically motivated to actually fucking vote, they vote democrat. (i.e. bernie)

They're the biggest demographic since the baby boomers so dont go saying "waaah theyre/we're just one generation how much of an impact can they/we make?" the answer is a fuck ton.

TL;DR if a millenial/new gun owner will ever buy a gun it will be the cheapest one they can possibly afford, and this forces manufacturers in a corner. So yes Millenials are the main driving force demographically speaking. Do they mean to do it? No probably not. Is it their fault? for the most part, yeah.
>>
Because kikes do kike things.
>>
>>34642505
im jelly, i really want one in good condition
>>
>>34645373
>muh millennials ruining everything meme
TL;DR if a average person /new gun owner will ever buy a gun it will be the cheapest one they can possibly afford, and this forces manufacturers in a corner. So yes Average americans are the main driving force demographically speaking. Do they mean to do it? No probably not. Is it their fault? for the most part, yeah.

fixed

The average person wants the cheapest thing they can find, it's not exclusive to a single group of people or time period. Why do you think knock off colt single action army's existed in the late 1800's or the early 19th century spanish shotguns. Then all of the freedom group companies were in financial trouble before hand, so they all got bought up by investors that only care about profit.

If they can reduce costs by using shitty MIM parts, and awful finishes, and 99% of people still buy them, then why would an investment firm not do it?

If someone wants something nice, they'll go buy a new wingmaster or go buy an old used wingmaster or magnum for like $200.
>>
>>34645786
>The average person wants the cheapest thing they can find, it's not exclusive to a single group of people or time period.
t. painfully average millenial

>Authentic Wingmaster for $200
Ok at least you got jokes
>>
so what should i look for if im buying a used 870? just avoid the express in general and stick with a wingmaster, tactical (not the express tactical), or police?

i wanna build an old style 870P with rifle sights, have a possible line on a barrel, need a donor gun to complete it, and some walnut 870P furniture.
>>
File: allegheny 870.jpg (1MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
allegheny 870.jpg
1MB, 2000x1500px
>>34646830
I would go wingmaster for blued, police magnum for parkerized. Just a preference thing. And of course, wingmaster can't do 3" shells.

You can probably find police trades that are close to your desired config for $300-$400
>>
File: 70e.jpg (27KB, 600x598px) Image search: [Google]
70e.jpg
27KB, 600x598px
>>34646778
>t. painfully average millenial
pic related
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/foreign-made-colt-revolvers-fascinating-story-collectible-colt-brevetes/
There has always been demand for cheaper options.

>Authentic Wingmaster for $200
My 1987 blued walnut magnum was $170 last year from sportsmans outdoor super store, if look hard enough you'll eventually find wingmasters for cheap. I saw a wingmaster in decent shape besides the bluing being all worn off for like $125 on armslist months ago. Either way you can find a used wing or mag for less than a express.
>>34646830
Anything that isn't an express should be good. Police magnums, plain magnums, wingmasters.

Police magnums and magnums can be blued or parked. Wingmasters are blued and tend to be nicer polishing vs the others, ones used by the police tend to have the plain furniture vs the checkered stuff on most wingmasters.

Not sure when the change happend, but all newer police magnums are all parked afaik, and they are still fine to buy new since they are made on a different assembly line with better parts,QC and finishing.

I have a 1987 magnum trade I bought end of last year that is pretty nice, plain walnut furniture that is nice, just some finish wear from years of being in a squad car. Bluing is worn and has some waves in it but still feels nice and still looks fairly good, chromed bolt.

Just got to watch out for rust, put it in my closet for months and checked on it every weekish, when the humidity went up I got some rust in the chamber, cleaned it up and oiled it and some still popped up. I soaked the chamber good and it's been okay, need to get a bore brush to get the last bits out.

Mine was $170 last year at sportsmans outdoor super, if you find police trade in's under $200 or close to it, you gotta buy them quick since they sell out super fast at those prices. I'd go with a blued one with walnut over a parked synthetic model if you got a choice.
>>
>>34646865

Wingmasters can do 3" shells depending on the year. Lots of ex police 870s were Wingmaster Magnums prior to the 870 Police.
>>
My Remington 700 gets rust spots on the coating and inside the barrel just from sitting in the basement...none of the other guns sitting next to it do this shit. I keep them all oiled and I manage the the humidity year round...Remington is just junk anymore.
>>
File: IMG_20170710_165828.jpg (607KB, 1747x1310px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170710_165828.jpg
607KB, 1747x1310px
>>34646865

blued wingmasters are beautiful, my 1968 wingmaster is my favorite gun, hands down
>>
File: CAM00420.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00420.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>34641492
They're competing with their own Chinese clones.
>>
>>34647883
I'd kill to find one of the factory top folder stocks for like $125.
>>
>>34641960
Do you have it in a case or anything? I heard soft cases can get moisture trapped inside which might explain your issues.
>>
Bluing is expensive, parkerizing is cheaper and tougher. Actually parkerizing an 870 wingmaster soon.
>>
>>34648558
Was just leaning against a wall in the closet when it I noticed it, right now I've had to move them into a hard case with foam in it for now.
I've been checking on it every few days since and it's been okay.
>>
File: jgDM4xF.jpg (216KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
jgDM4xF.jpg
216KB, 1440x2560px
>>34648588
>>34647097
>>34641960
>targetmaster
>870 mag (usually have stock shell holder, velcro shell carrier on the side of the receiver and a green silent sling)
>maverick 88 (I bought out of bordem, ended up selling the 28" barrel and found some field barrel with a bulge near the choke and chopped down, in for $110 total and use it for shit work.)

Might get a field barrel for the 870 if I decide to do clays, or more likely will get ithaca 37 if I find a cheap one.
>>
>>34641577
not who youre asking but I do from time to time.
hardest part is stripping the old blue and any rust, but rust is easy to get off if you know what youre doing.
but if theres any pitting its gonna show so you have to fill it in
then theres degreasing everything, not hard but if you fuck up its going to be very noticeable on the final product
the easy part is actually bluing the gun. its all about timing.
>>
>>34650180
"You have to fill it in?"....

Tell me more.
>>
>>34645546
I bought it for 350$. You just need to be patient and keep an eye out for deals.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.