[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What bow would you guys recommend for a beginner? I just want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

What bow would you guys recommend for a beginner?

I just want to shoot targets recreationally, don't care much for hunting.
>>
>>34639610

fuck off and get a gun you fucking weeb larper
>>
>>34639610
Compound if you have no sense of "feel"
Recurve and long handle similarly, test before you buy.

For target shooting I would suggest a low poundage , one you can easily hold back for a long time, this way you work on your form more than fighting the bow. learn things in this order. Form > Aim > Distance.
>>
>>34639610
Recurve. Unless you're into traditional shooting, your standard takedown recurve bow should give you everything you're looking for. If you've never shot before, start with a 25 to 30 lb. bow and work your way up to whatever you feel comfortable with, though most recreational shooters I know either stick with 30 or stop at 40. I'm sure you've already looked into this already but make sure you get a bow with the correct draw length, buy the correct arrow shafts for your poundage of bow, etc. etc. Good luck, it's a fun hobby but I gave up on it because apparently I'm an enthusiastic spender.
>>
>>34639610
https://www.amazon.com/Samick-Sage-Takedown-Recurve-Bow/dp/B00IRBZPTU

Decent get your feet wet bow.
>>
>>34639650
Sadly it's difficult to obtain a gun here, but bows are unrestricted so I'm buying one.

>>34639656
I will probably spend lots of time watching YouTube tutorials. Do you recommend any channels in particular? Thanks for the advice mate.
>>
>>34639746
Honestly no, I just teach for the BSA , Uh, let me see if I can find some for ya though.
>>
>>34639715
Sounds great. Which limbs should I get if I'm a noob? 30 pounds? 35?
>>
>>34639746
Stupid basics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAc6krHFQk4
He sorta mentions finger placement though there are lots of different methods for this, he references an anchor point, this can be anything you want it to be ( mine is my thumb against the back of my jaw bone under my ear)

He also described his release as a roll , you do not want it to roll, but rather "pop" Rolling imples you've got the string against the crease of your digits rather than the pads of your fingers.

>>34639880
Lowest you feel comfortable with, I personally enjoy 35 lb, but I hunt with a 70 lb recurve so I am used to it.

There are various manuals, and honestly my brain is a tad fried, so if you have any questions in particular, it might help me direct my thoughts.
>>
File: 1464809581083-621530100.jpg (90KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1464809581083-621530100.jpg
90KB, 900x506px
>>34639610
Weebs shoot recurve ohhh and Koreans if you're brother look into a used compound bow. You can get a hoyt or mathews that's a 2013 and still extremely relevant. It will be good for ever with the occasional tune up and you won't out grow it most likely.
>>
Crossbow
>>
>>34640014
you going mount it on your mobile scooters?
>>
>>34639914
>>34640033
>>34639650
This is why nobody takes Americans seriously
>>
Basic recurve bow if you just want target shooting that takes a lot of effort

Compound if you just want to hit bullseye after bullseye
>>
>>34640059
I think the Americans are busy in the gun threads...
>>
I can't believe nobody has suggested a longbow yet. They're probably the easiest to use and set up. Plus you can be like Robin Hood.
>>
>>34640108
Easiest to use, but most difficult to master
>>
>>34639610
Samick sage takedown is a good beginner bow at a resonable price. You can change the arms to increase the draw when you start becoming better.
>>
File: Goodstuff.jpg (89KB, 600x405px) Image search: [Google]
Goodstuff.jpg
89KB, 600x405px
>>34640287
This! For target shooting, I'd recommend a recurve, and Samick Sage is the best bow you can choose. Begin at a low draw weight so you can train your form, and change limbs once you feel you are ready. There's no point in getting a compound if you're only going to shoot targets since you'll hit bull's eye all the time after a few hours of practice.

I do not know where you live, but if you have physical access to an archery store, not a hunting or sport's store, as they're likely to give bad advice, then go there and ask a little around.

Pic sort of related.
>>
>>34639913
You hunt with a 70lb recurve?! That's damn impressive. You can take a grizzly with that thing. How long have you been bow hunting?
>>
>>34640366
'bout 15 years. I don't think i'd go bear hunting with the bow however.
>>
>>34640382
I get you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF0M4xDZIJ8
I know this is not how it's done. Just a fun video.
>>
>>34640418
Watching that makes my brown eye pucker...
>>
>>34639709
>not using a 100lbs dual cam compound bow with laser sight

lmao get with the times gramps.
>>
>>34640471
>using a bow when firearms exist
Omg you're such a luddite stop liking what I don't like
>>
Using a compound bow is like going "camping" with a full sized RV with flat screen TVs, wifi access, and a fridge full of food.
>>
>>34639914

compound hunters are garbage people and you should feel bad.
>>
>>34640805
Most people haven't actually gone "camping" since 1950
>>
I have a Samick Sage I got for xmas with 45lb limbs. How do I know what arrows I need? I'm a total beginner btw.
>>
>>34639610

recurve. easy to string, simple yet effective, less expensive than longbows, and come in a wide variety of draw weights, many models specifically designed for casual hobbyists.
>>
I have a bear sonoma in 45#. I like It.
>>
>>34642781

field points for beginnners. they're cheaper and if you skip rail you'll be less likely to hurt someone. also they're easier to pull from the target.

aluminum arrows are then least expensive, and if you bend one it'll teach you how to UNbend them.

carbon arrows are more resillient and don't bend, but when you lose one (you will) it'll cost more.

fiberglass arrows work, don't bend but tend to crack/splinter sooner with heavier draw bows.

wood arrows are generally too expensive, but you can make them yourself for cheap, but homemade ones tend not to last very long.
>>
>>34642828
Thanks man, I have 3 carbon arrows that I got with my bow and was going to look for cheap fiberglass ones as I'm still shit and will probably break/lose a few. What about the stiffness of an arrow, tip weight, flights? Is this more advanced and nothing I need to worry about just yet?
>>
>>34642844

exactly. arrow flex is called spline. arrowheads are measured in grains like bullets.

you won't need to worry about it in the beginning. typically only professionals care about it.

focus more on pulling your arm out of the way of the string. you have to rotate your shoulder and wrist so your elbow bends out. even with arm guards (which I don't use or reccommend), the string can hit behind them and even hit between them and your arm. also, long sleeves can get in the way of shooting, so focus on how your bow arm is bent.

also, look up mongolian vs. european holds for the string, and see which one suits you. I like european hold, and I like really cheap one piece finger guards. that's kind of a you thing, and won't determine how good you are.

I also recommend not using sights if you can avoid it, and get good at eyeballing elevation and windage.
>>
>>34642844

also, get a good styrofoam archery target. It won't break your fiberglass arrows, which can be dirt cheap and come with field points permanently installed.

hitting a block of wood or tree or something will break ANY arrow.

also, aluminum arrows are really easy to repair. you'll have to research that. Cabela's has all the gear and the website is a good learning tool.
>>
So why are there tons of these crazy high quality compound bows made for precision, but I never see any quality crossbows?
>>
>>34643072

what? there are fucking $2000 inverse compound crossbows. there is as much of a variety in crossbows as there is compounds.

PSE, Barnett, TenPoint, Ravin, Carbon express, Horton, the list goes on.
>>
Kevin also just wanted it for fun...
>>
There is something special about a compound. The velocity is just so much higher. Better sights. Better draw relief. Trust me it's worth it. Plus you can use it to hunt or ambush your local black kids playing outside or whatever your into of you decide.
>>
>>34639709
Just take it to a professional bow store for this. Not academy or dicks or amything like that. They need to measure you correctly
>>
>>34639610
If you're wise you should watch some shootong videos and learn form and safety. First time i shot a bow i got whipped on my forearm and it hurt. Now i hunt rabbit with a 60lb compound. Its pretty addictive to shoot and pretty fun.
Tl;dr: watch some videos, find what you wanna spend and be safe.
>>
>>34643389
For what ?
>>
>>34643545
To have the draw length and poundage tweaked. Retail stores will fuck this up ... if you get a compound
>>
>>34639746
check out the backyard bowyer. His shtick is making target bows out of PVC pipe and a heat source.
>>
>>34641137
That argument is like saying a blunderbuss is the only "correct" weapon to use when it comes to guns. We're humans we advance over time there's no need to still do archery like a Mongolian horde. You're retarded.
>>
>>34639650
>one of the oldest and most widespread weapons on the planet
>weeb
Christ alive, is summer day/k/are always this cancerous?
>>
File: (You).jpg (52KB, 545x485px) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
52KB, 545x485px
>>34639650
>>34639914
>classical weapon that's been used throughout much of human history and seen rise in popularity in west since Victorian times
>weeb
>>
>>34639610
Compound is fairly easy on the arms, but sometimes requires a trigger release.

Recurve is overall better than longbow, unless you really don't care about the bow and just want to leave it about nilly willy.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.