[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often to clean guns?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 18d.png (9KB, 112x112px) Image search: [Google]
18d.png
9KB, 112x112px
Are you supposed to re-clean and re-lube your guns after a few months even if you haven't used them?

What if you only used them once since the last cleaning and then haven't cleaned them for a few months?
>>
>>34636898
Generally speaking, I lube my guns a day before a range trip and fully clean and lube them after coming back from the range; however I am extreamly paranoid about corrosion and pitting so take that as you may.
>>
1. clean a gun after firing
2. clean dust and shit more often if you're relying on it to save your life
>>
File: An_49fdb2_6329972.jpg (102KB, 780x766px) Image search: [Google]
An_49fdb2_6329972.jpg
102KB, 780x766px
>>34636898

You CAN get away without cleaning a gun for a long time but it depends on the gun itself and if you want it to be accurate and last a long time.

If I havent used a gun for 3 months,or I cant remember the last time I cleaned it I'll take it out and re-oil it.

I clean everything I put a round through when I get home from the range,shit I shot corrosive through gets a full teardown.

Im really anal about it because I want my guns to be pristine in my safe and have them last as long as possible.
>>
After cleaning the barrel, do you guys run an oily patch followed by a dry patch through it? I had heard about this practice but I am not convinced that it isn't just fuddlore. All of my guns shoot non-corrosive ammo.
>>
>>34636898
It's a good idea to clean them off and re-lube especially if you're handling them a lot just to keep them from rusting, although it's not as big a deal as Fuddlore would have you believe with modern guns, materials etc., but changes in temperature and humidity are still a thing.
>>
>>34637246
it's good to do that. the worst that can happen is you shoot some oil out at the range
>>
>>34637246
I feel like this makes extra sense with solvents related to copper and lead fouling removal. I still do it even if all I've used is Hoppe's bore cleaner, though.
>>
>>34636898
It depends on the gun and what you're shooting through it's.

Like......I haven't cleaned my 10/22 in about 1000 rounds and it still functions just as well as it does while clean. I couldn't get away with that in a gun that has more complicated internals than a just a fucking spring.
>>
>>34637246
I have my AR lubed up really good before I go shooting. First shot I take better have a bunch of smoke or I didnt lube it up good enough.
>>
>>34636898
After every time using them for a wipe down and barrel cleaning.

Field strip every 1,000 rounds

Full detail breakdown cleaning every 3,000 rounds.

Every two months wipe down guns in deep storage.

Carry/duty guns get a basic wipe down every time I come in the house from work due to sweat salt in the air and humidity outside (live near ocean)
>>
>>34636898
It helps to keep an extremely small bit of regular oil on your firearm if
-you're a poorfag with milsurp holsterwear/damaged bluing firearms (also, thin film of oil in non-chromed barrels)
-any amount of moisture might be in your storage location
>>
>>34636898
If a semi auto's barrel wears down from dust before heat, you should spend more time at the range and less on 4chan
>>
I hardly clean mine, my 10/22's barrel has several 1000s of dirty remington and augila through it, uncleaned.

Guns arent as fragile as you think, youd be suprisedd what you can get away with.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.