[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Engagements in WW2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1423535524814.jpg (199KB, 578x800px) Image search: [Google]
1423535524814.jpg
199KB, 578x800px
If you look through various engagements in wikipedia it seems the axis always took way more casualties than the attacking allies.
Can this be explained by the different paradigm used by both sides or something else?
>>
>>34634173
When it comes to just killed and wounded, against Germany at least the allies almost always lost more
>>
>>34634173
Artillery hurts when you stand still in holes
>>
By the point that the Western allies were involved in major ground operations, they had massively superior; air-power, artillery, and operational tanks. Combined with the intelligence from code-breaking successes, this was a potent advantage. I suppose you could class the superior paradigm as being one of bringing resources on a strategic scale to bear against your enemy.
>>
>>34634173
Germans had in many areas, extremely inadequate equipment. Their artillery was never on the level where it could compete with any major power they fought and artillery is the major killer in the battlefield.
With tanks you have the emphasis on long-range sights, but little to no emphasis on all-around visibility, which is evident when you look at the combat reports - in most engagements, Shermans spotted and shot the enemy first, which, given the relatively short range on which tanks fought in the western front was usually a death note to German crew. Again in tank design - shortage of copper caused them to use hydraulic turret mechanisms in place of electrical ones, sounds harmless, but the hydraulic fluid used was extremely hot after while and even if the tank was penetrated in a way that allowed the crew to survive, some of them were likely to suffer from mortal burns because of this shit. I think more crewmen of Tiger 2's died from this than any other cause.
They also lacked in training here and there. They never really prepared for city fighting but had to do it anyway. Just a simplest thing - if some soviet soldier got adequate training(not that unusual after 1941), bayonet drills were part of it. Germans let those go in 1920's after realizing that bayonets were almost useless, soldiers had them, but never really trained how to use them effectively. They are usually useless, but when you're fighting in tight quarters and all you have is repeating rifle... yeah.
>>
>>34634197
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nazaire_Raid
>>
>>34634173
Axis lost the war.
Allies wrote wikipedia.
Chances are, allied numbers are skewed.

Also
>than the attacking allies
Are you joking m8?
The time the allies were actually attacking as like less than a quarter of the war.
>>
>>34635295

>One commando was remarking how pretty the tracer fire, red and green, was. A moment later one blew the back of his head out.
>>
>>34635733
>Wehraboos pls leave
>>
>>34636626
You don't know how to use green text, do you?
>>
A successful attacker gets to advance and therefor recover his wounded men and disabled vehicles because they are now in his rear, eventually sending them back into the fight; whereas the retreating attacker has to leave all of it behind plus all defenders who fail to retreat fast enough are captured. This is true for pretty much all wars and also played in favor for the Germans from time to time, especially in the early stages of Barbarossa, but worked against them toward the end of the war when the Allies landed in France. Also what >>34634636 said.
>>
>>34634173
Personally I think the war would be the worst time for an engagement. Venue options would be limited.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.