[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

polishing blued steel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 20170722.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170722.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
so im looking to polish off the blueing on some parts to my 1911 for nothing more than aesthetic reasons but I'm not sure the best way to do it.

I do know that blueing acts as a bit of protection since it is its own form of oxidation and im worried that if i use my buffing wheel to shine these parts up they will rust like mad.

Is there anything i can do to polish these parts up without creating a rust issue? aside from just buying new stainless steel parts... which i just might do anyway.
>>
>>34626137
I've had good luck with really fine steel wool and some remoil for general cleaning/polishing, then I just wipe it with an oily rag and it looks good as long as you don't touch it with your grubby little fingers
>>
>>34626137
No. Polishing off bluing is dumb-ass bubba shit. Buy stainless steel parts or have the parts cerakoted in tungsten or something. If you scrub off the bluing there's nothing preventing the parts from rusting.
>>
>>34626287
yea thats why i was thinking too but figured it would ask around first to see if i can save myself $85 for the stainless parts i want to get.

how much does cerakote usually cost to get done to parts?
>>
>>34626506
I don't know how much a shop would charge. They usually charge like 130 to do a slide/frame. Realistically, it shouldn't cost much at all to have some small parts sprayed. It's kind of like getting a tattoo done, you're mostly paying for the artists time and the set-up/clean up that's involved.
>>
>>34626137
navel jelly removes bluing
>>
>>34626137
Don't fucking do it
>>
>>34626137
>Is there anything i can do to polish these parts up without creating a rust issue?
No. Carbon steel will always be prone to rust. You'd have to put some kind of coating on it, like clear lacquer, but I would strongly recommend against that because lacquer can wear off the part unevenly (often chipping off), leading to eventual rust anyway, only it will look extra crappy.
>>
>>34629313
They do make clear cerakote though.
>>
File: hmm____by_hidde99-d5zxhy1.png (190KB, 1024x1367px) Image search: [Google]
hmm____by_hidde99-d5zxhy1.png
190KB, 1024x1367px
>>34629330
>cerakote
>not chipping
>>
>>34629342
If you're worried about that level of abuse, you should have your shit anodized, and stainless is the worst option.
>>
>>34629353
How poor of a reader do you have to be to think that I'm the OP?
>>
>>34629342
If it's applied and baked on correctly, it's durable as fuck and won't chip off at all. I'm not even a cerakote fag, I think it's ugly but you can't really argue that it doesn't work well. It's objectively the most durable firearm finish.
>>
>>34629387
Cerakote is very good at standing up to the kinds of durability testing that the company likes to show in their promotional videos, which involves a piece of sandpaper trying to abrade a virgin cerakoted finished piece of metal. However, in reality, once the finish is breached, it comes off from lateral pressure in flakes and looks much uglier than a melonited, blued or parkerized gun that has normal holster wear.
>>
>>34629365
I'm not, idiot, I'm posting it in reference to what you said, and telling OP about cerakote, in case he reads it and decides to create a bias based on your assumptions.
>>
Paste wax like you use on your car will keep it from rusting.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.