[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best oil and lube for your gats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

File: 496041.jpg (46KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
496041.jpg
46KB, 880x660px
I just picked up some rem oil the other day, oiled up my SKS and went shooting. When I cleaned my rifle afterwards, it seemed as if the shit just vanished. Did I dun goof by picking up rem oil?

Any recommendations for something different?
>>
>>34626014
Have the same can at home, it almost drys up right before my eyes. I use light machine oil instead now.
>>
Remoil is shit-tier.
If you want an aerosol, I highly recommend Hornady One Shot. Evaporates dry, but leaves a very slick film, and I haven't had any rust issues with it. Stick to using it with gloves in well ventilated places though, pretty sure it'll give you 5 different kinds of cancer if you huff too much of it.
Ballistol is pretty good too if you want something non-toxic.
>>
>>34626014
Ballistol or just use ATF.

Rem Oil a shit.
>>
Remoil is shit. Use something heavier weight.
>>
Rem Oil is the worst product ever.

I use diesel to degrease parts, Hoppes No 9 to clean bores, wheel bearing grease on sliding metal surfaces, a Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner for carbon buildup, and WD-40 for general corrosion protection.
>>
ALG Go Juice
>>
I use RIG, Ballistol, and Eezox.
>>
Ballistol and remoil. Remoil tends to evaporate with the heat. Ballistol does a pretty good job. A good yellow grease is also a good option for bolts/internals.
>>
File: eezox500.jpg (63KB, 500x409px) Image search: [Google]
eezox500.jpg
63KB, 500x409px
grease for lube, pic related to clean/protect
>>
>>34626163
>Remoil is shit-tier.

remoil may be shit, but if you clean frequently, it's good enough.
you'll still need some type of grease to put on the rails etc though.

>>34626227
>Ballistol

Hating on remoil, but suggesting ballistol? Really?
Ballistol is a jack of all trades, master of none. It'll be great in SHTF, but for cleaning at home? pffft, don't bother unless you're shooting black powder.
>>
>>34626014
So OP, you do realize the rem oil worked exactly as designed?

If you want oil to remain all over your gun after shooting it, you clearly do not understand the intent of putting it on in the first place.

This place is embarrassing sometimes.
>>
>>34626471
Enlighten me us then faggit
>>
>>34626504
Drying oils are for external use.
Non-drying oils are for internal and lubrication.
>>
File: whatelse.jpg (106KB, 440x660px) Image search: [Google]
whatelse.jpg
106KB, 440x660px
>>
>>34626276
what a clusterfuck of products for the wrong uses also.

>diesel to degrease
nigga if you let diesel slowly evaporate, you'll find yourself with a thick residue oil

>WD-40 for general corrosion
you should use it as a cheap, first solvent and cleaning agent then use a proper oil to lubricate and to wipe the external finish
>>
>>34626276
>>34627189
>WD40 for anything gun related
It's about two thirds mineral spirits, one third mineral oil.
Mineral Spirits are great at cleaning guns, the mineral oil offers little to nothing for rust prevention, and gums up at that.
You're better off getting a can of mineral spirits from Home Depot for cleaning. If you want to get fancy for a CLP, mix up some Ed's red with it, ATF, Lanolin, and Acetone.
>>
>>34626014

You are thinking was too much. Unless you're using corrosive or live in a humid climate, whatever minor maintenance will be fine. I oil my sks maybe a few times per year and its ok
>>
>>34626014
>Did I dun goof by picking up rem oil?
Yes, that stuff is useless. Olive oil would literally be better. Yes, literally. Soldiers used it in the Spanish Civil War.

For the money, high temperature wheel bearing grease is the best lubricant.
>>
>>34626014
Boshield t9
>>
>>34626014
I use SLiP 2000 exclusively for lube.

If we're talking about god tier cleaner, then Ed's Red is GOAT.
>>
>>34627189
That's why you don't just dunk a part in diesel and put it away wet, genius. You dunk it in diesel, let all the gunk dissolve away, then wipe it off.

And I've used WD-40 since forever, and you would never find a speck of rust on any of my guns.
>>
File: gun oil comparison.jpg (106KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
gun oil comparison.jpg
106KB, 800x600px
/thread
>>
>>34626014
oil is only for parts that rotate. All the sliding parts should be greased. I use Mobile 1 Synthetic on my Garand. Works great.
>>
>>34627820
where's the fucking CLP
>>
>>34627890
Where is says Break Free you dong
>>
Literally the only good thing RemOil is good for is keeping a shine on the surface of revolvers in sotrage.
>>
>>34626014
Remoil with teflon is fine. Is it great? No. Does it work? Yes.

Are there better options? Absolutely.

Personally i still use good old hoppes 9 for cleaning.
Clp or slip for lube
And barricade or renaissance wax for protection.
>>
I know what Internals to lube, but what should I use to ensure the gun stays rust free outside as well. And how do I go about it without having a slick rifle
>>
File: gojuice.jpg (217KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
gojuice.jpg
217KB, 800x520px
>>34626311
You do realize Go Juice is Bill Geissele's semen mixed with purple Kool-aid mix right?
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 297x297px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 297x297px
>>34627820
>mfw my two oils of choice look really damn good
>>
>>34628707
Johnson's Paste Wax.
>>
>>34628742
Who cares if it works!
>>
>>34626014
Eezox and hoppes grease
>>
>>34628742
>biosynthetic™ formula
aka, canola oil
>>
File: Hickok45-Youtube.jpg (16KB, 288x378px) Image search: [Google]
Hickok45-Youtube.jpg
16KB, 288x378px
>>34627820
Balistol why
>>
i use this on all my gats

http://www.fluid-film.com/
>>
>>34628923

you have two choices

rust or cancer
>>
File: 4NPL8_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg (38KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
4NPL8_AS01?$mdmain$.jpg
38KB, 300x300px
>>34626014
>>
Ballistol is basically mineral oil. That's why they say it's good for polishing shoes too. But hey it works.
>>
>>
Food grade I68 equivalent hydrolic machine fluid.
>>
>>34627877
The advantage of a PAO synthetic is that it resists oxidation from extended high temperatures, And the 2% additives od nothing for a firearm.
It's overkill.
>>
>>34629875
Hi boof
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.