[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm leaving for Ranger school in a month and I had a question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: wat.png (9KB, 236x100px) Image search: [Google]
wat.png
9KB, 236x100px
I'm leaving for Ranger school in a month and I had a question for you guys...what makes a good military leader? What is the one defining trait that sticks out among the GREAT military leaders?
I'm talking Patton, Caeser, Alexander the Great, Petraeus, McChrystal.

I'm asking because I know that's a big part of Ranger school. The ability to lead men.
>>
>>34623630
A Scroll.
>>
>>34623630
All of those men had different leadership styles that were all effective; there's no one way to do it. Lead how you'd want to be led.

My advice is to read. Read all you can and learn all you can. All the great captains of history learned from those who came before them.
>>
>>34623667
Can't trust a leader without one
>>
>>34623630
Berate and belittle anyone beneath you in rank, and brown-nose anyone above you in rank. You'll advance in rank and leave all the stinking boots behind you in the dust
>>
File: BwNKYTn.png (18KB, 1051x445px) Image search: [Google]
BwNKYTn.png
18KB, 1051x445px
>>34623729
thats not how ranger school works...
>>
>>34623630
These men all led differently, but they had things in common. They were intelligent, inventive individuals with drive, goals, and force of personality who gave people reasons to follow them.
>>
From my experience, God at making not retarded decisions, actually taking time to train your soldiers instead of worry about the board and promotion points.
>>
>>34623736
Oh, in that case, just yell the loudest and piss the farthest, you'll win at ranger school honey
>>
>>34623630
If you want to be a great leader than you should do what >>34623687 said and become obsessed with reading what great leaders wrote.
>>
Give a fuck. It's not about you, it's about your men. Know your job and care about your men. Learn your leadership traits and principles. As already mentioned everybody leads differently so find what works for you and improve. Ductus Exemplo
>>
>>34623630
I would think asking 4chan wouldn't be an auspicious start.

Just talk to the joes, and make sure you never ask what you would be incapable or unwilling of doing yourself.

You're more of a centurion than a caesar.
>>
>>34623630
One thing that they all have in common is that none of them were on 4chan, ever. If you wanna complete the schoolhouse better be out PTing ASAP and stop fucking around here.
>>
>>34623630
MATTA I know this is you knock it off you ass
>>
>>34623630
Matta I know this is you posting knock it off you ass Nerd squad here. I hope your platoon tapes you to a friggin chair
>>
>>34623630
Listen to your soldier, care about them, remember you've been in their shoes before. You can either a god to them or a devil, education over punishment goes a long way to keep good soldiers in
>>
>Putting the likes of Patton on the same level as Caesar and Alexander
>Mentioning nobodies like Petraeus and McChrystal but omitting Napoleon or Frederick the Great

You should probably brush up on your history, bro.

>inb4 someone says "Alexander wasn't even that good; he had everything handed to him by his dad!"

I hope none of you actually believe this. It is an interpretation that has its origins in leftist historical revisionism.

Also, to answer your original question, the qualities necessary to lead an army are not the same as those required to lead a group of ten men or a hundred men.

For someone in Ranger School, the most important qualities necessary are fortitude and competence. You need to be the first one to take on a given task, the last one to finish it, and at no times show weakness or frustration. You must also be better (or convincingly give the impression that you are better) than the people you are leading at everything they can do. No one respects someone who is weaker or dumber than himself.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.