[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bows

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

File: Yakustka.jpg (46KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Yakustka.jpg
46KB, 1500x1500px
Do these have applicable purpose in any imaginable scenario on a modern battlefield or anywhere else?

will we ever see a comeback of the bow and arrow?
>>
File: Wild-Geese.jpg (685KB, 950x1382px) Image search: [Google]
Wild-Geese.jpg
685KB, 950x1382px
>>34622395

They're very quite, even a suppressed gun is quite loud by comparison. I guess there could be a scenario where a suppressed rifle or pistol wouldn't be quite enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uasbhm4GCeU
>>
>>34622395
no. I guess if you really wanted to kill someone quietly. Even then they could scream if you fuck up.
>>
>>34622412
"AAAAAAHHHHH I JUST GOT SHOT BY AN ARROW HELP HELP HELP"
-Sentry
>>
>>34622531
>thwack
"gurgle"
-sentry
>>
>>34622540
Bows are not that accurate.
Whatever feat you don't trust yourself to do with a pistol, you definitely won't be able to do with a bow.
>>
>>34622551

Not op, but what about a crossbow?
>>
>>34622531

If we're going into the realm of fantastic a bit why not have a fast acting poison in the arrow head? Or rather some kind of poison that causes paralysis and death to keep them from screaming and flailing about?
>>
>>34622595
Because as spastic as most militarys are, having people running around with shit that can potentially poison the user (or anyone else unintentionally) in a second without a heap of training and other fuck arsing around- its a nightmare.
Plus to train people "how to use a bow" to any level of competency takes a LONG time (and money) for something that they'll probably never use.

Here's a good old semiauto pistol, learn to use that, you can use it clearing houses, a backup weapon if the primary goes to pot and if you want it quiet, stick a suppressor on it. Pistol rounds still kill people quite well and you can generally carry dozens of them, or more than enough to murder a lot of people. Oh, you want to murder a lot of people?
Here's an MP5SD
>>
>>34622656

I would think it's understood that the retarded grunts arn't going to be using this sort of thing. This is the realm of spec ops and that seems fitting considering the level of uncoventional war-fighting being discussed.

It's the same sort of arguements on /tg/ although I think it's more trolling in that case. Aside, no one is going to argue if you wan to be efficent a gun can do the job quit well but at the end of the day the existence of a gun doesn't invalidate death by other means (i.e. by being stabbed or, in this case, being stabbed by an arrow)
>>
>>34622682
Generally they'll use a 2-man team for sentry removal.
You get one guy with a suppressed pistol
A second guy will get closer with a knife (or second pistol if its available)

People flop, scream, cry, inadvertently let a round off and thrash around a bit if the round hits something 'less than an instantaneous' disability, so the 2nd guy is there to make sure of that. Even a really good shot can choke under pressure, poor visibility and sometimes shit just happens.
>>
>>34622703

That's interesting to know and is a logical thing to do. I guess now that I realize it one way to approach this is probably to step outside of the bounds of conventional US or US style military training. Let's say you were a hunter who used bows almost your entire life and then recruited into the early ages of what can be considered a Special Operations team. I could see uncoventional methods being used and refined until you have what we may or may not consider the norm for them.
>>
>>34622595
The only way to have a poison that fast acting is to take three pounds of it, freeze it solid, put it in a sack, and smash someone's skull in with it.
>>
>>34622719
For irregular forces- like in Malaya during WW2 it was more expedient just to let them run around with sharp objects, spears, bows and arrows, rather than train them up on a rifle. Fairly sure more than a few of the Japs in PNG where probably shot and eaten by the locals.

Course there's nothing wrong either with teaching people how to make a bow, arrow and all that in a worst case survival scenario, but more often than not it would be a way for someone to catch game or fish and not really for having to go head to head with rifle equipped infantry.
>>
>>34622719
>Hey (insert C.O's rank here) ,i heard the new SOF were taking new operators?
>Yeah son, i'm guessing you wanna join?
>Hell yeah, ill get to use my bow and everythi...
>"Hold the fuck up" said the C.O
>You dont fucking use a bow when we're giving you a weapon that far exceeds a fucking bows abilities

see the logistical and other menial problems with this?
>>
WW2-vintage De Lisle carbine, with a silencer like a bucket. SAS tool. More silent than a bow, longer range and much more precise.
>>
>>34622395
Not since the invention of good, reliable silencers and subsonic ammunition.

I imagine a bow would have had uses in some circumstances where you need a really, really quiet weapon before modern suppressed weapons were available.

The other factor that makes it complicated is the amount of training required to be proficient. Yes, some jobs it could maybe do better than a suppressed gun today (I'm not sure--but I think it's still quieter than suppressed .45acp or .300 blk or whatever), but to be able to shoot accurately with it as consistently as you can with a firearm takes years of constant training, which no military is willing to invest just for a really rare scenario.
>>
>>34622551
A skilled archer is extremely accurate.

t. archer
>>
File: all_darn_day.png (264KB, 377x497px) Image search: [Google]
all_darn_day.png
264KB, 377x497px
>>34623395
>More silent than a bow
bullshit
>>
Chinese use them for riot control and hauling grappling hooks
>>
>>34622732
Had a lovely chuckle to that, thanks bud.
>>
>>34622395
>on a modern battlefield
No
>or anywhere else
The deer woods, yes.
>>
>>34622551
Bows are plenty accurate. A skilled archer (and I'm not talking world-class exhibition shooter good, I'm talking "I usually kill a deer during archery season" good) can put 10 out of 10 arrows into a human's thoracic cavity from 50 yards.
>>
>>34622595
1. No poison known to man acts THAT fast.
2. Good way to get your country assraped in global politics for war crimes (chem/bio weapons, yes this has been looked in to and yes the universal consensus is using a poison or venom on a single target is considered just as bad as using thousands of tons of tabun gas on a civilian city)
>>
>>34624664
Which aren't instant kills.
An arrow shaft at that distance would do less damage than a 9mm.
>>
>>34624689
Yup.

I'm not trying to say otherwise, I'm just saying that bows are plenty accurate. Literally nowhere in my post did I explicitly or implicitly say anything about speed of incapacitation, damage dealt in total, or damage dealt relative to any other weapon.

Jesus christ.
>>
>>34624710
Come on man, read the thread you replied to

>Post 1: Bows can't kill someone fast enough
>Post 2: Bows can if you get someone in the throat
>Post 3: Bows aren't that accurate
>Post 4 (you): Bows are accurate enough to hit the chest
>Post 5 (me): It doesn't matter if it hits the chest, we're talking about hitting the throat
>Post 6 (you): Jesus Christ fuck off, I'm talking about pure accuracy what are you talking about what the fuck

You see how dumb you sound?
>>
Wanna know what's weird? How all the "preppers" out there run on the assumption that someone is going to keep manufacturing ammunition and delivering it to stores where they can buy it after SHTF. Yeah, they may have 10,000 rounds stashed in the closet, but that's not going to last as long as they think it will. When it all runs out, bows will be very much back in style.
>>
This thread is full of retarded underage mallninjas but some forces actually do keep a stock of crossbows for utility purposes -- firing bolts with ropes attached for climbing stuff or just passing a line over a long distance is a common one, both for SF meme shit like climbing walls as well as more routine stuff like launching heaving lines from boats to come alongside in bad conditions (but even then, it's also possible to use somethin sorta like a wwii era launch grenade -- you install a big can on your Armalite Meme Rifle One Six and use a blank to fire a monkey fist or grappling hook claw or w/e)

also bows and crossbows are loud as fuck, maybe not as loud as an unsuppressed rifle, but at the ranges you could reliably hit stuff you're still basically playing a guitar as loud as you can
>>
>>34624732
Most preppers reload and know how to smelt lead, which in a SHTF scenario, will be everywhere. The leadbend in a toilet should be worth 30-50 bullets if you melted it down and they'll be no shortage of abandoned toilets.
>>
is your name john rambo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1FoOWceJmE
>>
>>34624732
when SHTF, guns are not going to be useful because 99% of natural disasters that could hit arent "zombie" uprisings, it's shit where you get the engineers out to repair things and then stuff goes back to normal

niggas sockpiling tons of ammo like it'll help them, when they dont even own a toolbox or even a full set of pots and pans smdh
>>
>>34624765
>Most preppers reload and know how to smelt lead,
most preppers are mallninjas who think .22 is the apex round because it bounces around in the skull, or fudds who think .22 is the apex round because it's cheaper than .223 which "blows the deer apart anyway"
>>
>>34624781
Yeah but with guns you can shoot people who can make things and take their shit
>>
>>34624765
Do they also know how to manufacture smokeless powder from scratch and how to make their own primers?
>>
>>34624765
>lead is actually used in modern plumbing
are you retarded or is america actually this primitive lmao
>>
>>34624799
well you just get some matches and grind em up lmao haha and just pee on some straw and mix it with Draino(tm) then u have gunpowder :^)
>>
>>34624796
but that doesnt help since you cant make things.
>>
>>34625058
But I can take from those who can, which is the only skill I need to survive
>>
>>34625077
>rob someone for their wrenches and lubricants
>you still can't fix your generator
not sure what ur tryin 2 accomplish hear
>>
>>34625118
>take their generator
Or
>enslave them to fix your generator
>>
>>34625123
what if their generator is securely fastened to the ground and hard-lined into the rest of their house's systems? you still cant easily remove it, and surely wont be able to install it in your hick trailer
>>
>>34625144
That's where the enslavement bit comes in
>>
>>34625157
why would they work for you? youre going to kill them anyway, and are smart enough to know that.
>>
>>34625177
Hostages work wonders in this situation.
Or just good ol' torture
>>
>>34622656
>Plus to train people "how to use a bow" to any level of competency takes a LONG time (and money) for something that they'll probably never use.
MACV-SOG didn't have to train montagnards how to use a bow. Wars aren't always waged around dress right dress big army doctrine.

"The war wasn’t won with fancy gear alone, though. Bravery was required. And here again Dostum delivered. When a Taliban antiaircraft gun halted his army’s horseback charge, he rose up as if he were attacking Aqaba in “Lawrence of Arabia.” “Nelson watched as Dostum leaped from his horse, reached into a saddlebag and retrieved several magazines of ammunition for his AK-47,” Stanton writes. “And then he started to run. Straight down the hill toward the Taliban line.” Dostum’s men followed, overran the Taliban position and ultimately took Mazar-i-Sharif."

Horses aren't relevant either right?

I think putting a 2" broadhead through the upper thorax of some poor asshole on guard duty would be fucking stellar. What you don't realize is that all he's going to do is try to yell, but rather choke up an incredible well of blood out of his mouth into a gurgly death. His buddies aren't going to know what happened until they're the ones getting shot by loud guns from close range.

Graphic Content
https://youtu.be/2M4aHZF9gY0
>>
>>34625256
>Horses aren't relevant either right?
horses are garbage animals and should be banned from god's green earth
>>
>>34625256
Man look how long that took.
You don't need to recite fucking War and Peace to let out a scream

Look at that video that's been floating around this week about a guy getting stabbed for no reason. Gets it right in the chest. He gets up, yells a good bit, runs a 100 feet, tries to get into a cab, and then goes down.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.