[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Carry Gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: PX4_Light.jpg (2MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
PX4_Light.jpg
2MB, 3456x2304px
Should you carry gun have a weapon light on it? Or does it add too much bulk?

I think a weapon light on a home defense gun is a good idea. Basically I have a PX4 like the one pictured and currently have a light on it and am probably going to get a holster made for it, just wondering if I should keep the light on it.
>>
>>34620735
No

Self defense shootings are going to be up close and personal. You're not going to be clearing rooms.
>>
I guess it depends on the circumstances you regularly find yourself carrying. If you go out during the daytime 80% of the time, the light will probably just be extra weight and custom holster making.

That said, I do like the extra bit of stability a weapon light gives, plus just having the peace of mind that I can at least have something for night time use in a pinch is definitely nice. Just have to make sure then you get a good light that doesn't leech batteries while turned off like several of the Sig lights do and you're good.
>>
>>34620735
If you're concerned about bulk, there's some pretty compact 200~ lumen lights out there.
>>
"Does it add too much bulk?" is really up to you. If you're willing to carry it with the light then go for it. I would say most people aren't willing to do that. Go check out Sage Dynamics on the subject of WML's. BTW the retention point on a light bearing holster is the light itself, so if you have a holster made for the gun with the light, you won't be able to use it without the light; just FYI
>>
File: harriesstanceandgrip.jpg (59KB, 540x366px) Image search: [Google]
harriesstanceandgrip.jpg
59KB, 540x366px
>>34620735
No, it's a waste even if it looks cool. Excess weight and you'll end up buying an expensive custom holster. Plus batteries are fucking annoying.

Carry a flashlight in your pocket and practice doing this <<< unless you habitually go to nigger parts of town at night wearing nice clothes.
>>
>>34620735
I strongly encourage you convert that to the decocker variant. It makes the gun infinitely better imo. And get some Talon grips for it.
>>
As far as I see the pros of being able to identify your targets before you waste em outweigh the cons in a lot of spots.

For home defense I think it's a must.
>>
>>34620824
I have the G-conversion stealth levers, just need to put them on.

>>34620910
Yeah, I think my home defense gun will definitely have a light on it.

I think, based on this thread, I'll probably not carry with a light. I really like the PX4 and shoot it well and I think in most applications the light is unnecessary.
>>
>>34620970
Eh, I tried them and didn't like them. You can just pop the detent and spring out of the normal levers and pop them back on.
>>
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/weapon-mounted-lights-for-private-citizens/

Greg Elifritz shares the same sentiment too, except that he only carries a WML on his carry gun when he goes to movies.

But who am I kidding, go ahead and get one because you think they're cool. More important things like a backup gun or even a reload or medical is lame.
>>
>>34620735
It depends. Are you carrying in a dark parking lot in a urban city most of the time? If not, you really don't need a light on your gun. The only time you do, is a home defense weapon, least you shoot your mom at 2am getting some water.

Gunfights in self defense will be up close and personal, with enough light to identify that "yeah, this guy has a weapon and is threatening me with it". If you had to pull your weapon to identify a threat, you could get a brandishing/Assault charge thrown on yourself.

You're better off spending that money on night-sights. Being able to see three glowing dots in darkness is better than seeing stock sights.
>>
>>34621040
>You're better off spending that money on night-sights

Night sights on pistols never made sense to me, they always just seemed like a handicap.

If you haven't practiced your draw to where you can instinctively shoot something even in the dark a few feet away from you, you need to practice more.
>>
>>34621040
Identifying a threat isn't the only reason to have a light for self defense
>>
They have pretty solid compact lights now like the surefire XC1 if you can find a holster and have the cash fuck it bro do it
>>
I can't hit anything 20 yards and beyond with my PX4. Anyone else?
>>
>>34621505
>Anyone else?

Do you really think it's the gun and not you? Come on now, let's be REAL honest here.
>>
>>34620735
>Should you carry gun have a weapon light on it?

No.

Carry gun and home defense gun are two different things even if they're the same gun. For example one is usually holstered.
>>
>>34621544

Yeah cause I've let other people shoot it and they have the same issue.
>>
Carry weapon, no

Bedside weapon, yes
>>
>>34621601
maybe you're retarded and thus have retarded friends
>>
>>34621641

No
>>
>>34621601
Which caliber and type do you have? Sub compact?
>>
File: 1495493905255.jpg (7KB, 291x303px) Image search: [Google]
1495493905255.jpg
7KB, 291x303px
>>34621641
this.

it's either
>you suck at shooting da
>your friends suck at shooting da
>you suck at shooting
>your friends suck at shooting

Hell, it's all of the above. I have a PX4 Compact that I shoot 25 yards at the start and end of each of my range sessions. You just suck dude, don't blame the gun for your short comings, especially when you don't give any detailed info other than "my gun doesnt hit wad do"
>>
>>34621663

9mm F model, full sized
>>
>>34621688

I have other guns and other pistols of different makes and calibers, I shoot twice a month on a regular basis and have 18 years of experience. I'm just wondering if anyone else has issues with this particular gun model or if I just got a lemon.
>>
>>34620816
>Carry a flashlight in your pocket
This. for the past year or so i've carried a skywolfeye small zoomable aaa flashlight that was like $2 on ebay, vary small, 3" long, but still bright as a AA maglite. also got the single AA version which ive been carrying for a while now for summer, is 3.5" also zoomable
>>
File: 7 15 17.jpg (689KB, 1112x771px) Image search: [Google]
7 15 17.jpg
689KB, 1112x771px
>>34620735
>>
I would say it's a luxury, not a necessity. If you already have a holster for the PX4, save the cash and just get a handheld flashlight. A handheld flashlight is necessary, unlike a weapon light.
>>
Surefire XC1

Or is this a poorfag thread?
>>
File: 1500259555019.png (516KB, 500x587px) Image search: [Google]
1500259555019.png
516KB, 500x587px
>>34622168
Why would even recommend the XC1 when Surefire makes the X300?
>>
>>34622194
>carry gun
>>
File: 1492549650665.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1492549650665.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
>>34622194
why stop at x300, we can go bigger
>>
>>34621601
If your groups are good at all other distances, it's just you and your friends suck. If something was wrong with the gun you would be able to see variations in your group when you shoot at varied distances.

Try shooting at 20 yards from bench rest.
>>
>>34620735
>Compact carry gun
Not usually. I typically carry a Ruger LCP, if I had the space for a light then I'd have the space for a 9mm
>Car / desk / nightstand gun
Yes. Glock 17 with light and night sights. Sometimes becomes my conceal carry piece if I'm dressed for it.
>>
>>34622479

How do they suck if their groups are good?
>>
>>34620816
I advise that people do this. Having a weapon on a carry gun seems like a good idea until you need a flashlight and suddenly you're pointing a loaded pistol at everything in the dark. You go from a guy with flashlight to a guy brandishing a weapon without a clear motive.
>>
>>34621040
>he actually looks at his sights
>what is practicing point shooting

Unless you're a cop you're not going to have the time to aim down the sights. You should be more focused on a fast draw and being able to be the first to squeeze off a shot and that shot must be on target. Practice drawing and point shooting until you can reliably mag dump into a target's vital areas consistently without aiming down the sights. It becomes muscle memory eventually.
>>
>>34624178
Or just bring the gun into line with your eyes as part of your draw.
>>
>>34623793
Like if you drop your keys in the dark or some shit? why not just use the flash light on your phone for just normal shit and save the one on your gun for fighting?
>>
>>34625187
Tube shaped flashlights are easier to hold in your support hand and use in conjunction with a handgun, in the instances where you might need to use a gun but want to assess the scene before aiming at it.
>>
>>34625187
The touchscreen camera flash light on your smartphone is not a very effective replacement for a small handheld high lumens flashlight with a basic thumb button. The point is to have something handy that you can use immediately to illuminate something, and then have it easily transition over to being a bright weapon light. Walking around awkwardly holding a $500 phone up and then putting it away to transition to a second $150 toggle light on a gun in an emergency is asking for problems that a $2 metal pocket flashlight fixes. But that's just my opinion. I've never encountered a lighting situation that an actual flashlight didn't easily resolve.
>>
>>34625349
he clearly means use the phone light for mundane tasks, not in conjunction with a pistol
>>
>>34626600
Right, but if you're in a sketchy place at night it's better to have a strong flashlight to illuminate the place BEFORE you get attacked.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.