[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

homemade TOW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

hey /k/, I was talking with some friends and we thought it would be cool to make our own ATGM (without the warhead, of course). What would it take to make some sort of SACLOS-controlled horizontally-fired rocket that could be guided to the target by some method (maybe beam-riding)? I think it'd be a cool summer project when I'm off work

>inb4 atf and state department
>>
>>34615188
jesus this is the only thread ive seen and actually thought it was a ATF/FBI honey pot
>inb4 inb4
>>
you're going to need a lot of butter.
>>
File: Atf doggo.jpg (29KB, 432x648px) Image search: [Google]
Atf doggo.jpg
29KB, 432x648px
Hide your puppers op
>>
>>34615188
Much of the ITAS/TOW system is quite old and outdated, much of which is retained for parts compatibility reasons, ruggedization and ease of disassembly. You certainly could make it work with more modern electronics, even hobby grade stuff.
>>
Load a cardboard tube with model rocket motors and nigrig some model airplane control surfaces for it for MCLOS.
>>
It would be cheaper to strap some explosives to a drone.
>>
>>34615344
This
>>
OP here, are there any affordable IR sensors that we could put on the rocket to have it track a laser-painted target?
>>
>>34615188
I'm pretty familiar with the TOW system, I have 11H secondary MOS. Are you wanting to use the wire guidance system?
>>
File: download.jpg (12KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12KB, 194x260px
>>
>>34615484
That's literally what a missile is.
>>
>>34615720
Opsec faggot
>>
>>34615671
Forty cents at RadioShack in the component drawers. This is dead-ass simple shit.
>>
>>34615720
Not if I can avoid it, it seems like it'd be cheaper and more practical to use wireless, but I'm open to anything at this point.

Also, what kind of rocket motors would you guys recommend?
>>
>>34615814
>>Also, what kind of rocket motors would you guys recommend?
Look into the motors hobby rocket makers use. The big ones.
>>
>>34615814
Well the problem you're gonna run into is you're not gonna find any that'll work for this. What you're gonna end up doing is using electric ducted fans to propel what will essentially be an RC plane roughly shaped like a missile. And it's gonna have to be light. Really light. But if 80% of the point is to have fun figuring out the guidance system, go for it.
>>
>>34615834 are there no rocket motors that are powerful/sustained enough to power a "missile" like this for like a ~10 sec flight?
>>
>>34615188
There was a thread on this awhile back. Most expensive thing you need is the guidance system, which, coincidentally, is the hardest. Also with wireguided, you have to calculate if the wires will break, so no firing over bushes. That's all I really remember from that thread.
>>
>>34615906
It's the 10 second part that's the problem.
>>
>>34615978
>RPI; $5
>NIR capable webcam; $5
>code to track the bright dot and tell some servos to turn; $0
>>
>>34615781
>That's literally what a missile is.
>Literally

Then put it in your tube and launch it you fuck weasel.
>>
>>34616330
You gotta build it first. The real fuckweasel is someone who buys """drone parts""" instead of homebrewing the entire project. That shits an outright scam.
>>
>>34615906
A stack if Estes motors.

Want to go 100 yards?
Fire one motor.
1000 yards
Sequential fire 10 motors etc....
>>
>>34615834
>>34615906
>>34616143
I'm telling you guys, look into hobby rocket making. People make their own solid fuel motors. It's a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=959E5Oh7gPM
>>
Since there's a thread about making rockets, I'll ask. How difficult would it be for someone with a milling machine and a tig welder to make a hybrid rocket engine?
>>
>>34617226
You can make one out of PVC if you outsource the nozzle.
>>
Ive seen pictures of what they said was a Ukrainian ATGM running on a Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>34617243
You can make graphite nozzles with a common lathe.

>>34617226
You can make a hybrid engine with even less tools than that. You could get pretty fancy.
>>
>>34617253
Frankly a computer is a computer, and modern day computers seem to be cheap enough and powerful enough for this task.
I'm surprised how did they not ghetto rig a reaper knock off full of atgm's
>>
File: take a seat.png (91KB, 192x548px) Image search: [Google]
take a seat.png
91KB, 192x548px
>>34615188
>some friends
ISIS
>without the warhead, of course
yeah nice save
>cool summer project
you mean like 9/11?
>>
File: ZkgaHL2_1Bs.jpg (156KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ZkgaHL2_1Bs.jpg
156KB, 1280x720px
>>34615188
>TOW

Why not a Javelin (/Spike)?

https://youtu.be/-D9zATwkGqs

https://youtu.be/4Wj8y2RYyhc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGkCDwpJciU
>>
File: abomb5.jpg (44KB, 620x264px) Image search: [Google]
abomb5.jpg
44KB, 620x264px
>>34617226
>>
>>34616972
With help from /sci/ and /diy/, I reckon we could successfully develop a nuclear capable ICBM that actually worked before the North Koreans, even with their head start.
>>
File: 1492572317318.png (627KB, 684x479px) Image search: [Google]
1492572317318.png
627KB, 684x479px
>>34615188
>>
>>34615188
For a homebrew system, its probably easier to make a beam rider SACLOS guidance system. The launcher is one giant laser pointer while the tracking guts are on the missile itself. As for what kind of tracking guts, research how the early sidewinders worked in tracking a point source and work from there. Start out with a modified RC plane to work out the beam riding sensor and control surface programming on a reusable platform.

If you want to try out something more shooty, you could try making an antidrone gun director out of a laser rangefinder mounted on an alt-az platform fitted with digital setting circles. Do the math to figure out how fast it is going in order to lead the target. Use a motorized gun mount but have a real human pull the trigger.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.