[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ know about English Longbows? whats the best wood,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

What does /k/ know about English Longbows? whats the best wood, best price? is a warbow with a large draw better? What price would you expect it to be?
>>
>>>/asp/
>>
>>34613966
Its a weapon.
>>
>>34614003
I'm telling you for your own good. It MAY be a weapon (debatable) but you aren't going to find any good answers here.
>>
File: English Cheer.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
English Cheer.gif
3MB, 480x270px
Britbong here.

Longbows are longbows, you can get all sorts which vary on the type of wood used to make them, prices vary on supply and demand. I personally got one from a Bowyer in Leeds called Adrian Hayes when I was 16 as a Birthday present, was made out of bamboo and some other wood, as a result it had a pretty weak draw. Draw weight vary depending on the woods. (Historically the Longbows used by peoples from the English & Welsh armies during the 100 Years War would've often been made out of a stave of Yew sap & heartwood, these things had pretty massive draw weights to them due to these bows being designed as war bows, for punching through armour (around 105lbs draw weight I think). Your best bet would be to have a bowyer custom make the bow for yourself, you simply can't get a wooden longbow off a shelf at a shop and expect to find it suits you just fine unless you're incredibly lucky.
>>34614003
Weapons are tools, something is only a weapon when used with the intent to harm/kill.
>>
>>34614039
cheers, this is what I was looking for.

How much do you think a decent longbow would set me back?
>>
>>34614025
/asp/ is for wrestling amd martial arts essentially, though its not remotley debatable, a bow is most certainly used as a weapon, you can hunt and target shoot with it like most firearms, yet one wouldn't suggest a firearm being a weapon was debatable.
>>
File: Dis is fahkin ingerlund.jpg (50KB, 464x444px) Image search: [Google]
Dis is fahkin ingerlund.jpg
50KB, 464x444px
>>34614070
Depends on the wood.

like I mentioned, it varies alot on the woods used. I remember when I went to order my longbow at the workshop Adrian had in Leeds, he told me of the different woods available and some guy wanted on made out of some obscure African/Australian swamp tree wood. Which went into the thousands.

Howevert my bamboo bow cost around £125.
>>
>>34614091
Cheers boss, much appreciated.

All the best from a ruralfag, Northern Derbyshire.
>>
>>34614119
If you can make it to Leeds if Adrian still makes them, then i'd recommend him, or you could have a bash at making one yourself. I found an obscure youtube channel with a video series on making them. Surprisingly low amount of subscribers for all the videos they have, not to mention the amount of years they've been making videos.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr0ec0H7tNwfEEgoQ8qWoPQ
>>
Old English war bows were made from orange osage and have draw weight off 100 ib+. An authentic piece will set you back 100-300 dollars. Other options are American flat bows, which are also long in length and operate similarly to a longbow
>>
>>34613952
I'm no expert, but I know this one thing: old English archers were strong as fuck because those bows are a bitch to draw
>>
>>34614183
>Old English war bows were made from orange osage

>orange osage
>A native species of North America.
>The earliest account of the tree in the English language was given by William Dunbar, a Scottish explorer, in his narrative of a journey made in 1804 from St. Catherine's Landing on the Mississippi River to the Ouachita River.

North American.
First Recorded in 1804.

> English Longbow,
> Medieval Europe, 13-16th centuries

Now, want to take a wild stab in the dark and make a guess as to where your statement is utter fucking uneducated bullshit?
>>
>>34614313
To a degree, but there's a lot of technique in handling the draw weight as well. This guy's hardly the hulk, and while 100lbs is hardly massive here, it ain't horsepiss either: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL4vnolCwLI
>>
for authenticity, you have two main choices:

Yew, or Ash.

the traditional Self bow was yew, mostly from Spain - in fact, 15th C English law dictated that merchants were obliged by law to import two staves of yew for every tonne of merchandise imported from Europe.

the alternative, particularly in lower draw weight was ash, which is far easier to source than yew (it grows in about 1/10th the time).

for modern bows, osage orange, lemonwood, and bamboo are all used as cheaper alternatives.

a handmade self bow in yew will easily run to £800+ Cheaper materials from a good maker will still sit around £600.

>is a warbow with a large draw better?

No.
if you are asking these sort of questions, you pretty clearly havent got much experience with bows, and attempting to use such a bow is likely to either be physically impossible, or seriously injure you - it takes years of training to be able to draw the 100+lbs bows, and without that experience, you're very likely to tear muscle groups and damage ligaments.

my best advice would be after initial practice with a low draw weight modern 30-50lb bow for a few months, to look at a 60-80lb longbow - still a very strong bow - as your first purchase, and use that for a few years while you develop the muscle needed for that sort of archery.
>>
>Debatable
>fires a projectile at high speeds

So by that logic guns aren't weapons, I really learn a lot on this board!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.