[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone on /k/ used Gunbroker?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

File: gunbroker.png (5KB, 296x170px) Image search: [Google]
gunbroker.png
5KB, 296x170px
I'm looking for a lever action rifle and I've seen a lot of good deals on gunbroker. Before I buy something from the site, I want to know how it's gone for others. I've read a handful of things on the internet saying that you commonly get scammed, but on the flipside, I have also read things saying the people who claim that are leftists trying to scare people out of buying guns. Anyone have experience?
>>
>>34609256
nothin but scams like all them computor sites you betta only be buyin local and supportin yer shops
>>
>>34609256
just know what you're buying and you'll be fine. Use common sense and youll see right through the scams.
>>
>>34609256
Yes I have. No problems
>>
>>34609326

What are some sings of scams to look out for?
>>
I bought my k98k from there last year and an m1917 there yesterday. Waiting to see how the later goes but the k98k looks fine. Also used arms list for an m1 garand. Just do your research of what you're buying, look at the seller, and there you go. Admittedly it's more risky than buying in person but sometimes you can't find what you're looking for local.
>>
>>34609349
if you buy something from outside the US the gb staff can do practically nothing about it
>>
I tryed ordrin a 1911 on that there innanet web sight and it had the gull to askin me for my credit card numbah!
>>
>>34609349
unusually low price
sob story
>>
>>34609256
Might as well ask my question in this thread.

How does this really work? I'm going to buy my first gun and I can't find any local person who will sell the specific gun I want, so I planned to get it on gunbroker. However do I have to research my gun laws before I do this? How do I get licensed and register this gun? I simply don't know anything about how to do this.
>>
>>34609427
>unusually low price
A large number of the guns have a starting bid of 1 cent
>sob story
Does that mean giving a lot of hammy monologue about the gun?
>>
>>34609462

I'll imagine it being easier if you don't live in California
>>
>>34609349
if you ask for more pics of a gun or just some generic questions and they give you a very robotic sounding response. Take that with a grain of salt though as lots of companies sell in bulk on GunBroker so if its an individual selling and its a robotic sounding response its probs a red flag.
>>
>>34609506
What would robotic sound like?
>>
>>34609462
Depends on the state and sometimes even the city, read up on local gun laws.
>>
>>34609256

Bought a grand total of one (1) nice very old collector's item on GB. Experience was fine, gun was just as described, condition was fine, delivery was fast (right to my front door -- have a C&R FFL.)

I don't think there are many out & out scams on GB, but you do have to pay attention to how the auctions run and you do have to know appropriate prices for what you're buying.
>>
>>34609256
I've bought a bubbad SKS and a muzzleloader. The SKS turned out to be even worse than the pictures made it look, and the muzzleloader was absolutely pristine. Always get enough pics, and line up an FFL to receive the shipment before bidding. Your FFL will also likely want the shipper to ship via FFL, because if they receive an improperly shipped firearm, they're required to narc out the seller.
>>
>>34609473
yeah but that's not unusual. they're called "penny auctions" to try to start bidding wars even though it's just a waste of time because anyone buying knows what the fuck it's worth anyway.
yes.
>>
>>34609564
>read up on local gun laws
I don't know how
>>
>>34609256
I have used it a dozen time to purchase rifles. Largest purchased was about $2200.

have not had any issues.
>>
i have both bought and sold a few things on gunbroker. pretty hard to find a deal with and or make a profit with the % you have to pay them
>>
>>34609709
>I don't know how

Here's a start:
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/
>>
No problems at all, contacted the seller beforehand, it went well, and it was a good price considering it was in the great panic of 12/13
>>
>>34609709
I am going to answer your questions so you shut the fuck up but first soem details:

What state are you from, what are you interested in buying(name a specific rifle.)?

PS- How fucking old are you that we have to pull your teeth out you fucking cunt?
>>
>>34609349
If they don't accept credit cards the chance of it being a scam skyrockets.
Seriously, don't ever send checks or money orders.

Also a lot of sellers won't ship to California even if they don't state it on the item descriptions, even if the weapon is legal, because "they just can't take the risk"

>just move bro lmao
it's not that easy to find a new job in my field
alternatively
>stay in california we don't want you here even though you don't approve of california laws
>>
>>34609689
>if they receive an improperly shipped firearm
Define: "improperly shipped firearm"
>>
>>34609731
I have only bought there and was thinking about selling. Can you explain the cost to pay them and how?

Lets say I have something for sale for $500 and it sells. I deal with the buyer and he sends me a US Postal Money Order. How does Gunbroker get paid and how much?
>>
>>34609256
I've spent hours looking through it, but only used it once.

I bought a spare mag for my Bulgarian Makarov from an individual that, after a talking with him for a bit, turned out to be Ukrainian police officer.

Magazine was practically unused and of Russian origin.

Use Paypal if possible when dealing with international purchases.
>>
>>34609256
I used gunbroker I got an M1a for 1300 brand spankin new in walnut too
>>
>>34609819
>How does Gunbroker get paid and how much?

GB collects a fee on every gun successfully sold.
http://www.gunbroker.com/c/user/fees/#finalvaluefee

Plus a few other nickels and dimes.
>>
There are company/FFL and private auctions, just be careful with the latter and don't do something retarded like sending them a check.
>>
>>34609819
um well i sold a complete upper one time for like $400 and the dude sent me a US Postal money order. and if my memory serves gb just took out like $17 or so from my bank account i had linked to my selling account
>>
File: guess.jpg (55KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
guess.jpg
55KB, 800x450px
>>34609256
Bought my p-01 on gunbroker. ezpz, 100 bucks less than any of my lgs could order it for
>>
>>34609899
Thanks for nothing dickhead.

>>34609994
Thanks.
>>
>>34609994
Roughly 5%
Not too bad. Thanks again.
>>
>>34610017
>>>34609899 (You)
>Thanks for nothing dickhead.

What? Having trouble with the math, dude?
>>
>>34609349
Obviously, the whole point of a scam is to make an operation look legit until it's too late for you to have any recourse. I don't think there are many actual scams on Gunbroker, but there are lots of unprofessional sellers who just won't do a good job with the sale.

>Feedback
Actually read it. Gunbroker's rating system is stupidly biased to favor the sellers. I've seen sellers with "A+" ratings who had hundreds of negative feedbacks of people saying "I never got my gun," "they sent me a different gun than was pictured," or similar sorts of things. All of that can be avoided by just reading the feedback for yourself.

>Seller communication
Send them an email before you place a bid with a question about the gun. Do they even reply? If they reply, do they actually answer your question or do they side-step it? If that's how they treat you before the sale, imagine how interested they'll be in helping you after they have your money. Now, granted, some of these sellers are big gun stores and the Gunbroker page is managed my only one guy who may answer questions in down-time at the store, but I would always avoid bidding with sellers who can't type out a simple reply to an email.

>Photos
There are certain tricks that some of these sellers employ, like placing a camera with a non-macro lens at macro distances, which makes it seem like you're seeing the gun up close, but actually everything is just slightly out of focus. The Gunbroker image compression software is also horrendous and detail-killing. It would be smart to email the seller to ask for clear images. I don't even bother emailing when they can't figure out how to post an image to their auction.

>Description
"Great shape" is not a valid description of a gun's condition. If they don't tell you everything you need to know, then make sure to ask. If they don't reply, then again, don't bid on the auction.

1/2
>>
>>34610249

2/2
>Phone call
A great way to "disarm" a potentially scummy seller is to talk to them on the phone. You will probably have to email them to get their number, but most will be perfectly willing to do this. Whereas they might have thought that they could get away with posting blurry photos and using a boiler plate item description, they might be more loose-lipped over the phone. If the seller is a professional gun store, ask the employee how the gun compares to other examples he's seen. How is the trigger, how is the bore, does he think it's ever been carried, has it been refinished, etc.

I've bought dozens of guns on Gunbroker and never had a transaction go awry. Most sellers will ship following day or so and email you first thing in the morning as soon as that happens, but some are more lazy about it and take 4 or 5 days to ship without ever sending you an email.

>>34609787
>If they don't accept credit cards the chance of it being a scam skyrockets.
>Seriously, don't ever send checks or money orders.
This is wrong and ignorant. Because of anti-gun social justice company policies, money orders and cashier's checks are the only real options for a private seller on Gunbroker to accept payment across state lines.

>Also a lot of sellers won't ship to California even if they don't state it on the item descriptions, even if the weapon is legal, because "they just can't take the risk"
It's because an FFL has to register with the state of CA to ship guns there, which is an extra expense on their bottom line, and then they open themselves up to being sued by the state AG.

>>34609694
>they're called "penny auctions" to try to start bidding wars even though it's just a waste of time
You might be retarded. This is how auction sites have worked for at least the past 15 years since ebay has been a thing.

Now stop spreading misinformation that other people have to correct!!
>>
>>34610072
The math, no. But if you read and comprehended my post you would have understand I asked about the mechanism of how they get paid you semi-retard.

The other anon answered very plainly, you have to link a bank account to Gunbroker and they take the fees out from there.
>>
>>34610262
I pay for guns with paypal often.
>>
>>34609792
>Define: "improperly shipped firearm"
All sorts of things can "go wrong" here, and often do. For example, you can't send a handgun through the mail as an unlicensed individual (illegal). You also can't use UPS Ground (not illegal, but against UPS rules). You ARE legally obligated to inform the carrier that you're sending a handgun, though, so it could be argued that a shipper failed to do that if they send a handgun via UPS Ground. You generally are restricted to using UPS or FedEx Next Day Air for handguns.

You also need to include a photocopy of your driver's license or government ID with the shipment. Most "kitchen table" FFL's will try to call up the shipper to get a copy of his driver's license before the end of the business day and sweep the impropriety under the rug, but a proper gun store isn't going to do that. Some gun stores refuse to accept shipments from unlicensed individuals for this reason.
>>
>>34610365
Well, that's in violation of Paypal's Terms of Service, so you could easily get your account terminated if they ever found out. You're also not protected by their buyer protection, although of course, you could always take the seller to court if they tried to scam you.
>>
>>34610424

This. Guy wanted to pay me paypal for a gun a few weeks ago, I turned him down. Cost me a $600+ sale but it's not worth the BS. Told him he could use coinbase to send me BTC if he needed to pay me using a credit card (paypal to coinbase with $0 balance and using credit as backup funding) but never heard back from him. I have ~100 A+ feedbacks on GB without a single less than A+ so I ain't trying to rip the motherfucker off.

>>34610378

I just drop off at my FFL. They're bros and I just sold two pistols on GB the other week and my charge was $20 per pistol. I can't ship those fuckers for that cheap.
>>
>>34611106
>I offered for a buyer to pay me in bitcoin
>never heard back from him, I can't figure out why
Maybe because bitcoin is basically only used by hackers and criminals.

>I just drop off at my FFL. They're bros and I just sold two pistols on GB the other week and my charge was $20 per pistol. I can't ship those fuckers for that cheap.
Not everybody has or knows about that option. My local gun store charges $55 to ship a gun (granted, it's still cheaper than UPS Next Day Air). I know two kitchen table FFLs who will do it for a lot less (the one of them who is farther away will actually do it for free as long as I am the one who drops it off at the post office for him), but they live 15-25 minutes away and I need to work with their schedules in order to do this, which often means driving to their houses during rush hour traffic. Again, still better than paying $80 at UPS, but not an ideal solution either.
>>
>>34609256
It's ridiculously hit or miss.

People can have things to you overnight even though you didn't even pay for overnight shipping, or not ship for three weeks, get pissy that you contacted them about your order, and bitch when you tell them to go fuck themselves and you want your money back.

Also, nobody is forgiving over cancelled orders. Be VERY careful about this.
And don't order from gunplumber; he's an ass who doesn't want your money.
>>
I bought a marlin 1894c off of gunbroker. Everything went well.
>>
>>34609256
Gun shops are you best bet, but private sellers are hit or miss.
>>
I've bought guns from private sellers and gun shops using gunbrokers CC payment system, or mailing a bank check or USPS money order. Haven't had an issue yet and the guns were all pretty much exactly as described.

But like mentioned above read reviews and know what you're buying. Also, I shouldn't have to say this but absolutely never ever mail cash even if it is a payment option.
>>
Biggest scam I ever encountered was for a beautiful AK. I checked out the gun shop they claimed to work at. My FFL cleared their FFL. After a few emails and phone calls, I got a cashier's check and mailed it. No more than twenty minutes after, I receive a phone call from the gun shop owner saying that they received a few phone calls of people asking about transactions he wasn't aware of. They had somehow managed to get his FFL info and were posting bogus sales.
Luckily, I was able to go back and retrieve my check and tore it up.
>>
>>34609256
buy from verified members is my advice
>>
>>34609256
Never had any problems. I buy from dealers who are "verified" and have never had an issue.
>>
>>34609542
very, very generic responses.

'Yes! Hello! Thank you for intrest in our "Insert gun here!" the gun is in X condition! Works great! Very good for shooting! Have fun bidding!"
Typically the response wont answer any odder questions and they wont show any extra pictures if you asked. My best comparison I have is when I was looking for a car on craigslist I would get a response every now and then that would have emboldended lettering, Didnt answer a few specific questions, and said they only accepted Apple pay. If you look up "craigslist/gunbroker scams" you can get a good idea of what to look out for.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.