[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bug Out/Adventure Motorcycle for innawoods

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 9

File: KLR650.jpg (62KB, 900x619px) Image search: [Google]
KLR650.jpg
62KB, 900x619px
Has anyone here thought about using a motorcycle as their SHTF or innawoods vehicle? They can access terrain that four wheelers can't and can get crazy range out of their gas tanks (300+ miles, even more with expanded tanks, 55mpg on highway/96mpg off it). You can put all the cargo you need in the boxes on the back. You can bring it onto the highway, back roads, and off road without modifying the motorcycle at all.

A dual sport like a KLR650 can be bought off the classifieds for $1000 and in my opinion is more capable/discrete than four wheeled vehicles. It has a single cylinder engine that will literally never break unless you try to break it. It has a carbuerator and 5 speed transmission, so it's kind a tractor engine though. The US military used the KLR for years.

A DS makes more sense than blowing money on an SUV (you can pull a trailer behind your car!) that can't go through single track.
>>
File: kawasaki.jpg (668KB, 2006x1378px) Image search: [Google]
kawasaki.jpg
668KB, 2006x1378px
>>34599775
the military has a multi-fuel version, i wonder if Kawasaki makes that version available to public? would be perfect for bout-out scenario
>>
>>34599775
Using a carb'd vehicle when most of our fuel is ethanol blended and will be worthless in bikes in three weeks? Pass.

Get a bicycle. Powered by you, much simpler to fix, can be carried if need be, spares and tools needed are lighter and smaller, exercise which you will need, quieter, less likely to suffer serious injury due to a crash at increased speeds a motorcycle can obtain

Also a KLR for $1000 will be a shit heap that has serious safety issues. Hardly the most reliable engine either. Their stock thermostat design is flawed and definitely needs correction with a ThermoBob if you want the long engine life.
>>
>>34599775
I had a WR250r a while back. It was a much better bike than the KLR. It is fuel injected, water cooled, and has a modern suspension. It would ride 2 up even with my big ass. It has a huge power band and and is much lighter than the KLR. I put 5000 woods miles on it in 3 months.

I could carry every bit as much gear on it as I could with my previous KLR. I frequently got 75mpg on the highway too.

Also, your post is wrong. Your mileage goes down on soft and uneven terrain. Your highway mileage will always be higher than not-highway.
>>
>>34599796
IIRC those KLRs were converted by a 3rd party contractor. Could be wrong though.

In any case, as a guy constantly thinking about moving to adventure bikes/dual sports but then not pulling the trigger because I'm a pussy, I don't think they're available commercially.
>>
So threads like this are okay even though there's a separate board for automotive shit but threads about guns in video games aren't?
>>
The klr would be a horrible choice a drz 400 or wr 250 would be much better the klr 650 is a heavy as fuck bike more bike than you will ever need in the woods and the usmc version is even heavier it's good on multi-fuel but are extremely slow and sluggish
>>
>>34599863
You can find them on military liquidation sites few and far between but usual run a couple k more than they're worth
>>
>>34599775
Best thing innawoods is your own two feet OP
>>
File: ural-gearup-1.jpg (460KB, 1200x789px) Image search: [Google]
ural-gearup-1.jpg
460KB, 1200x789px
>>34599775
Ural
>>
>>34599775
I use cheap ass Walmart mountain bike innawoods. It'll literally go anywhere I can go, is retardedly simple to repair and maintain, and as long as I'm alive (and it's in one piece) it'll never run out of fuel. Bikes also can carry a ridiculous amount of cargo.
>>
>>34599840
You can't bring a bicycle onto the highway or carry any significant gear on one. If carbs are an issue, you can spend the cash on something like a VStrom 650 or Honda Africa Twin for more highway/offroad capability
>>
>>34599840
>Get a bicycle.
The only sensible option. The versatility is enormous when compared to any motor vehicle. Downsides would be minimal storage and passenger capacity, a problem if you have dependents. Speed. And a lack of intrinsic shelter.
>>
>>34599873
Go back to /v/, faggot.
>>
>>34599873
You can kill someone with a motorcycle, you can't with a gun from a game.
>>
>>34599873
Gtfo fag
>>
>>34599918
As someone with that exact bike, I'm iffy on its bugout potential.
>heavy
>slow
>poor fuel economy (~30mpg)
>spare parts are not ubiquitous
>off-road capability is lower than that of a dirtbike.
>very eye catching and memorable, not good if you want to keep a low profile

Its advantages are stability, cargo/passenger capacity, but if those are important to you, use a car and have a mobile shelter as well.
>>
>>34599934
>>34599948
>>34599955
I'm convinced /k/ is the second lowest IQ board after /mlp/

I bet you faggots wear tactical pants and rappelling belts in public and have molon labe tattoos on your forearms
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 599x449px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 599x449px
>>34599929
>if you have dependents
>>
>>34600046
Then why are you here?
>>
>>34600046
And yet here you are begging for attention. If we're all barely functional retards, exactly what does that make you?
>>
>>34599921
Why would you worry about highway travel in a SHTF scenario? The highways will most likely be devoid of traffic and instead filled with abandoned vehicles. Maneuvering around all that would be a lot tougher on a motorcycle. I had to maneuver my dirt bike (YZ400F through a bad storm that knocked down a ton of trees and it was a pain in the fucking ass. I ended up having to lift it over most obstacles. It was exhausting. That was just some trees. Imagine tens of thousands of cars blocking the road.

People go backpacking all the time. Thru hikers? If you can hike with enough gear to survive innawoods you can do so on a bicycle too.
>>
>>34600046
I'm actually active duty lol
>>
>>34600066
I've been coming to this shithole for at least 5 years and I can't seem to quit. It's like a really shitty ex gf that occasionally hits you up for sex (i.e. interesting discussions about weapons) but for the most part acts like a totally insane retarded ass bitch with nothing to offer other than a lukewarm hole and 5 minutes of pleasure for every hour of suffering (i.e. you and your cohorts).

>>34600081
Yeah, totally begging for attention by wondering why we can freely discuss bikes and trucks on a motherfucking weapons board, but not fictional weapons. Just when I thought you couldn't look more stupid you pull some shit like this.

>>34600105
pity/10
>>
>>34599850
>had
Why did you get rid of it?
>>
>>34600429
An Asian lady kamikaze'ed me pretty fucking hard. It's been 5 years and 17 surgeries. Don't ride a motorcycle in the DC area. Too many Asians.
>>
>>34600504
Damn. At least you made it out with your life. ATGATT and all that...
>>
File: bikeadv6.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
bikeadv6.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
I give you the ultimate SHTF bike.
>Big enough engine for fast travel
>small enough to take on offroad, city landscapes, and poorly maintainted roads.
>looks sweet
>highly customizable
>tons of parts because been in production since 1996 and even some parts for earlier models work with it
>>
>>34599775
Main reason I'm about to buy one. Rated at 71 mpg, with adventure styling and the ability to purchase an after market kit that professionals use for hard off-roading. I love this thing. Comfy as shit too. at 500cc it's got enough ass to get you away from trouble (highway mergers) but nothing too exciting to put your brains on pavement immediately. Plus it looks awesome AND it's about $5600 brand new from the dealership.

CB500x
>>
>>34600528
I was lucky. My right glove, boot and helmet came off in the accident. I've been fighting infection for the past two years.
>>
>>34599918
>>34600022
this looks so fun. i've wanted a Ural/side car set up for along time for adventuring. except i cant afford $13,000 for a bike.
but i do ride dual sport and think its a decent option for bug out. i need to get some pannier brackets to mount some luggage boxes on my dual sport
>>
>>34600836

Any other gear you were wearing? As a new rider stories like these, of long lasting surgeries, scare the shit out of me. I have enough health problems as it is, no need to add a dozen surgeries to that list because a dumb fuck merged without looking. Honest to god I'd probably kill the son of a bitch after it was all over.
>>
>>34601151
Most of the bad stuff on a motorcycle happens due to negligence on the riders behalf or a cager's road rage.

Wear an action camera on top of your helmet, it could save your life. The Yi 4 is a really good knockoff for just passive recording.
>>
>>34601223

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
>>
>>34599796
No, they arn't. And they are converted to diesel and can only run diesel. Also they apparently need a lot more repair.
>>
>>34600380
I'm not the one whining because nobody likes the shit you like. You want to talk about your little fantasy toys, you should probably try /v/ or /tg/. Or just go back to the other robots and stroke your hate boner about how Chad will always be better than you.
>>
>>34600902
Honestly? Just putting a decent sidecar on a modern dual sport will put you miles ahead of the average Ural. Those things are fun as hell, but they're underpowered and over weight, even with two wheel drive engaged, and every single one of them has their own little mechanical quirks that'll just fuck your day right up until you learn them. Don't get me wrong: I love the little things to death, but they're century-odd old technology as interpreted by communist bloc engineers, assembled by angry, drunk peasants.
>>
>>34600105
Me too. 3po71a military working dog handler.
>>
File: Bike-Trailer-Moves-House.jpg (37KB, 468x318px) Image search: [Google]
Bike-Trailer-Moves-House.jpg
37KB, 468x318px
>>34599921
>or carry any significant gear on one
That's where you're wrong.
>>
>>34599877
drz-400 is shit

t. a drz-400sm owner
>>
>>34600827
stock seat is actually far better than i could've hoped but the stock handlebar is terrible for long trips. luckily a replacement is only $60.
>>
>>34600090
>confirmed for never splitting lanes on a motorcycle

ive split traffic so tight you had to lean the bike and full lock the bars to get by car mirrors. splitting abandoned cars on a highway would be easy, most cars arnt going to be all piled up and smashed into each other like you see in the movies, it would just look like infinite rush hour traffic.
>>
>>34602841
Try doing that somewhere that isn't flat.
>>
>>34601151
as a long time rider ill tell you right now, you just need to believe that when its your time, its your time bro. ive seen people who shouldn't be alive and ive seen guys who take every precaution in the book and bite it. like this one guy who got taken out by a different bike that had crashed.
>>
>>34602891
>Try doing that somewhere that isn't flat.
>guy in photo is clearly going up a hill
?
>>
>>34602901
>guy in photo is clearly going up a hill

He's clearly riding on flat land, you dipshit. The picture was taken at an angle, yes, but if you look at that concrete embankment for the bridge he's about to pass under, you can tell the road he's on is flat.
>>
>>34602920
>but if you look at that concrete embankment for the bridge he's about to pass under, you can tell the road he's on is flat..
You can't really tell anything significant from the embankment, actually.
>>
>>34602940
>You can't really tell anything significant from the embankment, actually.

Yes, you can. Hopefully you won't drop out of school before they (try to) teach you geometry.
>>
>>34603023
>u r yung xDDD
Putting the picture aside, you're still wrong; it's still perfectly feasible to ride up a hill with a bicycle loaded down with gear.
>>
>>34603044
>u r yung xDDD

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. The other option is that you're mentally deficient.
>>
>>34603067
Hey, I'm not the one who thinks you can't ride a bike up a hill.
>>
>>34603080
>I'm not the one who thinks you can't ride a bike up a hill.

I never said that you can't.

In fact, I'm a mountain biker, so I do it quite frequently. Cycling uphill is far more strenuous than walking uphill, and baggage only makes it worse.
>>
>>34600090
What is filtering? Its even easier on stationary cars.
>>
>>34603127
>it takes more energy to move faster
>more weight takes more energy to move at a set speed
Uhh thanks, Captain Obvious.
>>
>>34603150
It's easier and faster to run up a mountain than cycle up it, Private Fuckstick.
>>
>>34603173
So walk it up, you dumb motherfucker. You're still potentially carrying more of a load than you would on just your back alone, and with downhills and flats taken into account you're doing it faster. Jesus Christ, you are just as stupid as you are rude.
>>
>>34603173
I hope you're not comparing apples with oranges.

If you're following a road, then cycling is more energy efficient.

In fact, by saying that, I'm starting to doubt your claim of being a cyclist at all.
>>
>>34603203
You have strong opinions on this for a man that knows neither geometry or how to ride a bike.
>>
File: Motorised Autism Cycle.jpg (81KB, 960x543px) Image search: [Google]
Motorised Autism Cycle.jpg
81KB, 960x543px
I reckon motorised bicycle is the best SHTF transport.

This is my effort, cost about $250 AUD to make, goes up to 40km/h, runs on fumes, 2 stroke, uses magnetos so no batteries required, and can be pedaled if you run out of gas.

End of the day, if a motorbike runs out of gas you're fucked, this cunt would carry you for miles before letting you down.

I need to put new tires on it though, but it's pretty based.
>>
>>34602870
???

Of course I've filtered. You eventually will run into obstacles that will be insurmountable on the motorcycle. Likewise with the bicycle. The difference with the bicycle is you can get off and carry it over said obstacles. You're really going to lug a 250+lb bike over multiple obstacles? For what? Take it from the guy who actually has experience trying to ride a motorcycle through an area that was blasted by a snow storm so bad that knocked out so many trees and utilities the area was in a state of emergency for weeks. Riding a motorcycle in such a situation sucks and will leave you exhausted, unable to conserve your energy for other basic things, like surviving. Even men in the best shape will get exhausted very quickly having to lug around a 250lb+ motorcycle a few times. A 25lb bicycle is much easier to lift, can fit more places meaning you'll have to stop and lift it less and can be ridden for hours on end.

A bicycle is just a far superior vehicle in a disaster, state of emergency, SHTF scenario.
>>
>>34600380
These are seriously rustled Jimmie's just because no one gives a fuck about your stupid destiny thread.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.