[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

rust tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1802.jpg (154KB, 1200x797px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1802.jpg
154KB, 1200x797px
My brother just borrowed me an air gun. It's super fun, but previous person he borrowed it to kept it for three fucking years in some kind of a shed. Effects are pic related, it has rust spots everywhere. Is there any way to fix those spots, optimally without using sandpaper (that would probably remove entire black coating thingie too)? I don't hope for much, it's visibly rotten deeply, but it never hurts to ask.

I rubbed wd40 into it, didn't do much good, so i just wiped it, rubbed a little bit of lubricant and left it like that.
>>
>>34597761
If it's one of those cheap WalMart airguns, you could seriously just buy a new one instead.
>>
>>34597761
fine steel wool and real oil. hell vegetable oil is better than wd40. vegetable oil should not be used for longterm storage.
>>
>>34597776
i'm not from glorious united states of freedom, but i think it's not a bad one. It's suprisingly precise, although i don't have much experience in that subject. Best weapon i ever used so far was winchester on the shooting range.

Name and model is Diana 240.

>>34597788
Thanks, i'll surely try that. And steel wool won't damage the black coating thingie? Or should i aim for some fine grade wool to prevent that from happening?
>>
>>34597761
get some wd 40 and a soft scotch brite and rub all rust by applying the wd 40 and passing the scotch brite soak that fucker aswell.

then after that with some synthetic motor oil cover everything except the inside of the barrel and the part where chamber meets the barrel.

for the barrel and chamber u should use silicon oil and lastly if u want u can use some high density lithium grease on the pivot (if break barrel).
>>
>>34597809
Use a fine grade wool and not much pressure. Use a wet sanding technique, where you rub through a coat of applied oil. It should only pick up the rusted spots. Wipe down and re-oil when finished.
A light mineral oil is ideal, but even goddamn Pennzoil will suffice.
>>
>>34597809
those are nice airguns, fine steel wool should be okay but bronze wool is even gentler if you're worried about it.
>>
>>34597821
don't use a scotchbrite pad, way too abrasive
>>
>>34597821
>>34597761
forgot to mention that u should also pass the scotch brite with the synthetic motor oil, and if the rust is too deep then use some fine steel wool.

this things should not take away the bluing.(black oxide layer)
>>
>>34597809
>And steel wool won't damage the black coating thingie?
rust already fucked it the pitting is permanent. fine steel wool will strip the rust. it may or may not effect the finish. if you really care about the already fucked finish get the finest brasswool.
steel wool is much better at getting rid of the rust.
>>
>>34597809
The rust has already damaged the black coating. Nonetheless, if you want to remove rust with the minimum of damage and maximum relative ease, electrolysis is the way to go. Avoid a sodium carbonate electolyte and you should be good to go.
>>
>>34597839
really? well i used the scratchy part of a soft kitchen sponge maybe it is a lot softer than scotch brite.
>>34597761
the recommended I've seen and in one u can trust OP is the fine steel wool and synthetic motor oil
>>
>>34597858
you are insane if you do electrolysis on an pellet gun. those things arent user serviceable. try doing it while its still intact and you fuck all the seals.
>>
>>34597858
you ever done any electro chemistry or you just watch lots of youtube vids? taking that all apart for electrolysis is a ludicrous amount of effort relative to just scrubbing a little rust off with steel wool
>>
Alright, i'll get fine steel wool tommorow and try to rub it after applying engine oil. Thanks, everyone.

I'm still suprised how fun this thing is to use. I had to fix rear sight with a piece of paper because previous borrower probably fucked it up and it was just waving around forward and backward, i set the sights for the first time in my life so sights are probably set up wrong, and yet i hit the cans from ~30 meters every single time.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.