[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is cleaning?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: m2OlJxU.jpg (653KB, 2894x2316px) Image search: [Google]
m2OlJxU.jpg
653KB, 2894x2316px
I have no place to clean my guns (in need of a workspace) and I don't shoot very much. Never cleaned any of my guns before.

My AR has nearly 50 rounds through it and my AK a little over a hundred. Shot like five out of my old Mauser. When should I clean?

I'm also buying a pistol soon, and I hear those require less maintenance. Say it's one of those baby Sigs à la pic related, do those require lots o' work?
>please don't attack me for not wanting to do gun maintenance, I actually want to but don't know how to get into it or what to do
>also don't reply "hurr durr spoonfeeding >>>/youtube/"
>>
>>34590215
If you really care about your firearms you'll clean them good everytime you fire, even if its just one magazine. Dont not leave them dirty forever, it'd be okay to leave them dirty for a while but if you shoot any corrosive ammo then you clean your shit immedietly. Just buy like a $10 cleaning kit with a rod and patches and go through the barrel a couple times with gun oil or cleaner, wipe the bolt with the patches or an old cloth and then oil the barrel and bolt well, dont worry about a huge dissassembly of the shit for just 50 rounds.
>>
>>34590215
I shot like 2k rounds through my saiga 7.62 and I never once cleaned it.
Recently cleaned it and didn't have the little took to ublock the front end piston chamber thingy so, technically still haven't fully cleaned it
Some of the metal on the bolt was looking worn, but I'm sure that's normal.
>>
Just put a plastic tarp on the floor and clean there if you need to, jesus christ take care of your guns faggot.
>>
>>34590292
Are cleaning rods universal or do you have to buy specific rods for specific guns?
>>34590324
*Jesus Christ
>>
File: 1430405396570.jpg (42KB, 286x256px) Image search: [Google]
1430405396570.jpg
42KB, 286x256px
>>34590215
>no place to clean my guns (in need of a workspace
just find an outdoor picnic table somewhere nearby. any local park or school playground should have them. easy peasy
>>
>>34590366
Impressive, stopped reading at "school playground" though
>>
>>34590364
You have to buy specific rods from manufacturers and you MUST ensure they are composed of TS-9 steel or it will rust your barrel. If I'd doesn't say TS-9 don't fucking buy them.

Also, make sure the oil is TS-9 stable to ensure the rod doesn't get all jammed up. Good luck OP.
>>
>>34590215
I don't understand how you can not have room to clean your guns. Even if you lived in pic related, you'd still have enough room to clean a gun.
>>
>>34590405
Damn, I can only afford TS-8 or lower
I guess I'll have to clean out my guns with a stick
>>34590422
My bed takes up my entire room and I don't want to get grease or black shit on my bed
>>
>>34590438
The plastic tarp suggestion still holds.
>>
>>34590438
So you actually live in a tiny room like that? What about any other part of the house? Bathroom? Do you live with your parents? Just lay down some newspaper on your bed. You wont get black shit everywhere. You're cleaning a gun, not taking apart a diesel engine.
>>
>>34590215
If you can afford to shoot, you can afford a kit to clean your guns. field stripping, cleaning, and reassembly is almost as fun as shooting.
Fuck sakes man, sometimes i just get my guns out to clean them. its relaxing. its zen. do it with the electric jew on if you have to be stimulated, just do it.
Also, if you have a floor, you have a workspace. Put down an old towel - you know, the one you use to clean your car? Wait, you clean your car, right?
>>
>>34590483
>>34590485
Alright, let's not turn this into a discussion about my room, just give me the basics of cleaning like >>34590292 did nicely. I respond better to mean 4chan posts than informative YouTube videos so have at it
>>34590497
Money isn't an issue, and what you're describing sounds fun, I'm not saying anything to contradict you guys but you keep interpreting it like that
>>
You do not need to clean your guns every time you shoot. This is fuddlore at its finest. Cleaning with harsh solvents can actually be to the detriment of your firearm.

My general rule of thumb is 500 rounds for handguns (less if a revolver), and 300 for rifles.
>>
>>34590528
Sounds reasonable and fair. I'm going to be shooting a lot more in the next month so I should start investing in cleaning stuff about now. Is there different quality kits/brands or is everything pretty standard?
>>
>>34590485
>I don't know what to do! I don't want grease on my bed!

I only wish this was my leading dilemma.
>>
>>34590559
Buy boresnakes, Hoppes #9 (bore solvent), and CLP.

All you'll need.
>>
>>34590685
What was your leading dilemma Anon?
>>34590783
Thx
>>
I only clean when the internals become disgusting to look at and give a light coat of lube after every range trip. You don't have to clean every time you go to the range. Clean them when you feel like it.
>>
>>34590215
I use a bore snake to clean the barrel of most of my guns after each range trip. I break down my ARs after every few trips. I will break down the bolt on my bolt guns every few trips.

Two things I make sure to clean right away; any gun I shoot corrosive surplus out of (getting harder to find) or anything I shoot black powder out of.

As for workspace, plastic drop clothes are cheap. If you have enough floor or table space to place the gun down, you have enough space to work on it. Plus, Hoppes #9 smells awesome.
>>
anyone recommend good cleaning kit for p2k?
>>
>>34590215
It's not a big deal and you are in good shape. My guns usually get cleaned after several hundred rounds but some never got cleaned even after decades of shooting. People on the internet spaz out about cleaning after each and every time you shoot. It's not necessary.

But you do need to man up and get a work space. Eventually you will want/need to clean your guns.
>>
>>34590524
Someone mentioned a picnic table. Thats a perfect place for gun cleaning, just a plain old wood table or something. Dont clean shit on your bed or even in your room if you mind your cloths, bed, anything getting gun oil on it because it will definately happen. I dont give a shit, i have oil stains everywhere but i do wish I had a nice wood workbend to do cleaning/ work on my stuff.
>>
File: polan.png (112KB, 364x350px) Image search: [Google]
polan.png
112KB, 364x350px
>tfw chink
>cant own gun because they will vaporizer me
>i will never get to field strip then clean and oil my gun
>>
File: despair.jpg (106KB, 618x473px) Image search: [Google]
despair.jpg
106KB, 618x473px
>>34592346
>ywn have access to grorious Norinco ricer guns
>>
I clean roughly after 100 rounds fired. I do it mainly cause I reload and shoot lead bullets.
>>
A boresnake is good enough for me. For the rest i just spray down all the moving parts and inside the slide with ballistol and wipe away the shit. Takes like 3 minutes.
>>
>>34590215
Is it absolutely necessary to clean you guns? Probably not unreliable functioning aside. But think of it this way- if you don't clean them then you're treating them about as well as a third world militant.
>>
File: 1496158344587.png (167KB, 494x559px) Image search: [Google]
1496158344587.png
167KB, 494x559px
>>34592346
>>34592426
Sorry, yellow friend. Get to burgerland. It is frowned upon but some of us fight back against vaporization.
>>
>>34590394

Nothing after that was important, retard.
>>
>>34590438
I have cleaned mine in the back of my vehicle to not have to do it in the apartment.
>>
>>34592346
Y even browse dis board doe?
>>
>>34590528
>using solvent anywhere but the barrel.
>not routinely breaking your guns down to inspect parts for wear.
Wew fucking lad
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.