[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College NG Recruitment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Hey /k/, the national gaurd has been posting information recently throughout my University (UD). I was wondering if this is a decent option to pay for college. Anyone have experience/memes regaurding the NG that they want to give me?

And would I be serving my country in any meaningful capacity if I joined?
>>
university of dayton?
>>
>>34589210
Post on the /k/ Enlistment General.
>>
>>34589210
INB4 Racism and retarded opinions
>>
What state are you in? The bennies vary wildly from state to state. For example, I was in the WV guard and got 100 percent tuition to any n state school plus a stipend. Depends on the unit and funding, but the guard usually is a lot of boredom. If your state has a SF group look into getting into a support MOS for them. I was in an FA unit and didn't do much. I did one disaster relief mission but that's it. Drill was usually just dicking around or doing admin type stuff.
>>
>would I be servicing my country in any meaningful capacity
Well it depends on your MOS and your state. But yes, while the government will almost never call on you, your state may use you for assisting with floods, fires, and other various disasters.
Anything else you'd like to know?
>>
>>34589231
>>34589296
>>34589351
U of Delaware. I'm already going into my Junior year, though. Have you heard of anyone getting assistance for grad school? I would fucking love to get my masteres with fed aid if that were possible.

Side note; I'm a compsci/software engineering major, would I be able to get experience in my field?
>>
>>34589351
Ha complete bullshit. I deployed straight out of OSUT. It's not like it was a cool infantry deployment though. During the height of GWOT my unit deployed numerous times and people died.

Not trying to sound badass because the guard is gay as fuck, but you definitely can and will get deployed at least once during your contract if not more.
>>
>>34589573
You're not gloating, just being honest with me, so say whatever you want to say. It helps.
>>
>>34589210
You get all the benefits of being in the army without the 24/7 green army weenie constantly fuggin u anon.
>>
>>34590049
>You get all the benefits of being in the army without the 24/7 green army weenie constantly fuggin u anon.

Sort of.

The problem though is that the time you are there you're getting the 24/7 green weenie condensed down into 2 or 3 days of doing only the stupidest shit that Active Duty has to do.
>>
>>34589468
>Experience

Depends on you. You'll go through a leadership field exercise with cadets all over the country as a capstone. If you perform well, as in, top 10%, you'll get first pick of your branch. Don't do well, and you get thrown where ever they can put you. .
\
Combat Arms -especially Infantry-, Aviation, Medical, Intelligence, Law, and Engineering are all highly competitive. Combat Arms because that's the best way to get promotions all the way to the top. Intelligence for that contractor money when you get out. Aviation I have no real clue because if all you want to do is fly, go Warrant. I've heard one guy claim its as a staging point to become an astronaut. The rest for experience. SF requires you first be a captain, so you'll see a lot of Infantry officers, especially former SF enlisted, doing their time for a shot.

As you're a junior, they're going to put you through a leadership fast-class meant to get you up to speed with what would normally be spread out over your entire college career
>>
>>34593498
Wait, scratch that. If I remember correctly from the guys who did go NG, the NG signs a separate contract which allows you to potentially lock in a branch of your choice. NG recruiters used to try and poach cadets, and the idea of getting the branch you wanted as long as you passed, then later transfer back to the regular Army, was too good for a lot of guys to pass up. Again, talk to the recruiter and make sure you can get it in writing.
>>
>>34589351

This is so wrong it's not even funny. Literally within 4 months of being at my unit I've been deployed to a riot, a NATO mission, and they are asking if id be okay with being deployed again in the next few months. Rumor is there are plenty more deployments coming up in 2018 which won't be volunteer.
>>
>>34589573
>Not trying to sound badass because the guard is gay as fuck, but you definitely can and will get deployed at least once during your contract if not more.

That depends these days, honestly. OPTEMPO isn't nearly as high as it was 10 years ago, hell even 7 years ago. I did 5 years AD and then joined the Guard. I deployed a year after being in the Guard but haven't deployed since and I'm going on 9 years in the Guard now. I know guys that have been in the Guard 10 years now and have never deployed, and not for lack of trying either. 2005-2010 I would have 100% agreed with your statement, these days, not so much.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.