[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with First Bolt action

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

I'm looking into a bolt action centerfire gun (won't be scoping it) and I can't decide which one. I was thinking about a Ruger Scout or a CZ but they're a little pricey.

Then I came across pic related.

My LGS is selling a WW2 unissued pristine Lee Enfield for 500$.

Should I get it? Is that a good price? I heard the bolts on those guns are amazingly smooth and quick.

Are there other good modern bolt guns with irons out there? Or would a mint condition Lee Enfield serve me well for an iron sighted bolt action?

Primarily want one just to fuck around with as an all purpose bolt action. And of course, hog hunting.
>>
>>34586795
Skip it, a lot of them have stock bedding issues that lead to innacuracy.
>>
>>34586811
This. Also surplusshits don't have a good reputation around here.
>>
>>34586811

I don't know much about surplus shit but isn't the Lee Enfield supposed to be a great rifle?
>>
>>34586795
>My LGS is selling a WW2 unissued pristine Lee Enfield for 500$.
If its truly unissued its kind of rare.

For pristine is ok price. You may not see another like that, so i'd go for it, as you may not get another, while you can get a modern brand new rifle any time you want

don't listen to, they probaly fell for the meme-nugget
>>34586811
>>34586832
Milsurps are fine, just maintain them properly and take them to a gunsmith for any issues you have, and they'll be an excellent weapon.

Whether its not a good first bolt action is debatable, but my dad had lee enfields when i was growing up so i'm kinda used to it

>>34586868
used by the british empire for 50 years
>>
>>34586795
Depends on what you want, OP.

The SMLE is historically interesting, has a 10-round magazine which is probably more than adequate for what you want, and shoots fast. But it is also a niche caliber that's expensive to buy, and it's not nearly as accurate as a modern rifle (4+ MOA is typical -- remember, these were to be used in muddy trenches and loose tolerances and light barrels were preferred).

Don't let me scare you, I just bought a No.4 Mk.2 Enfield.

If the ammo cost scares you or you want something more modern, the Mossberg MVP is also an option.

To be honest if you aren't looking for sub-MOA "lol sniper rifle" precision, then the SMLE is fine if you can absorb the ammo costs or you reload. I don't hog hunt but I imagine you're not taking 600 yard shots with a Kestrel and ballistic computer.
>>
>>34586886

OP here.

This is what I figured.

Yeah I'm looking at less than 100 yard shots with irons. And I wanted something I could make quick follow up shots with.

Also the .303 seems pretty cheap from what I can tell online. It's not .223 cheap but it seems cheaper than 30 06.

And I'm somewhat of a collector. I've been collecting revolvers but now want to start collecting rifles so I'd figured I'd start with surplus.
>>
>>34587250
I'm looking into buying my first bolt action too. I think getting a milsurp may be a good idea. I don't like the fuddy aspects of most modern bolt actions. Look into mausers. I'm probably going to pick up an yugo m48 soon.
>>
SMLE No 4 is a good rifle for an iron sighted bolt action. That price is high.
>>
>>34587316

Same. The fudtastic American rifles of today don't interest me.

Remingshit? Pass.
>>
>>34587399
What would you say would be a good price for one? In really good condition.
>>
>>34586811
I heard many of the barrels are in poor shape as well. Just be really selective.
>>
>>34586795
>My LGS is selling a WW2 unissued pristine Lee Enfield for 500$.

If it really is pristine, just get it to keep it. You can sell it later for more than you bought it for.

For an alternative to shoot with, Zastava makes the M70, which is a Mauser action. Mine is decent, bit rough, but I've never had trouble with it. Cheaper than the Cz.

Another alternative is a used hunting rifle with irons. Just look around for something in decent shape. Most were carried a lot and shot a little, so the stock may be beat, but the overall gun will be sound. Not modern, but neither is the Enfield.
>>
File: 9.jpg (9KB, 360x140px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
9KB, 360x140px
>>34586883
>empire
The empire died when martinis were being phased out
>>
Get a used deer rifle with a mauser action. 30-06 or 300 Win mag
>>
>>34587417
I see them for $400 all over around here. I'd keep my eyes open for one going for less than that. $250-$350 and I'd show some interest if I didn't already have some.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.