[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Balisong/Butterfly Knife Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: Balisong.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Balisong.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /k/
So I've gotten into butterfly knives lately, so I felt like making a thread for it. Wondering if anyone else here has tips on flipping and knife maintenance and all that jazz.

My knife is pic relate
>>
>>34580114
Flippy meme knife.
>>
>>34580114
Yeah, don't cut yourself.
Best tip right there
>>
>>34580216
This wasn't a "what does /k/ thing of x" thread you blood crusted turd
>>
>>34580270
Noted
>>
File: BRSBBt.jpg (69KB, 1500x799px) Image search: [Google]
BRSBBt.jpg
69KB, 1500x799px
>>34580114
i have a bm51 and brs barebones. flipping tips is practice and go slow. when learning the trick if you learn it fast and sloppy you get bad habits which takes literal months to fix. also be prepared to have to explain to everyone your not a gangbanger/ mafia member when you pull it out in public. so carry a basic pocket knife to use around pussies who cant stand things they don't understand. maintenance is pretty simple: lube pivots with hopps 9, not wd 40, and loctite the threads with thread locker.
just 1 more thing- the two most important tricks that are a basis for most tricks are behind the 8 ball and zen rollover.
have fun
>>
>>34580295
You're a blood crusted turd.
So suck it, nerd
>>
>>34580114
Anyone here have a butterfly from exiled cutlery?
The look decent and fairly priced but reviews are mixed online.
>>
>>34580377
I haven't looked into the 8-ball yet. Is it weird that I can the helix but not the 8 ball??
Also thanks, I'll definitely look into the hopps 9
>>
File: 1500350000541.jpg (108KB, 674x548px) Image search: [Google]
1500350000541.jpg
108KB, 674x548px
for flipping just go watch tutorials on youtube

On cheap knifes these screws are prone to stripping, but you can likely find replacements so it's not a huge deal. Like the other dude said, loctite if they're not already.

Slap some o-rings on to keep that latch out of the way.
>>
File: Screw.jpg (968KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Screw.jpg
968KB, 3264x2448px
>>34580457
Funny you should mention that about the screws. This knife regularly goes for around $60 but the screw on the other side of the bite handle is already a little bit stripped.

Any idea as to where I might be able to get a replacement before it worsens?
>>
>>34580538
contact the company's support line and ask. You might get some free, or at least tell you what's needed. Most knife companies are pretty good with minor parts like screws and pocket clips.
Or if you have some calipers you should remove the screws and measure the size and thread pitch.
>>
>>34580626
>you should remove the screws
you COULD remove the screws, not should, Typo.
>>
>>34580626

Cool cool. I'll try contacting them, thanks.
>>
>>34580216
cooler than a fidget spinner
>>
Are there any good balisongs for less than 100 schmakos?

Do I really need a benchmade or brs?
>>
File: IMAG0017[1].jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0017[1].jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
Got mine for like $8 online
>>
File: 361810-bogan.jpg (30KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
361810-bogan.jpg
30KB, 650x366px
>>34580114
when you live in Australia and butterfly knifes are illegal.
>>
>>34581383
Easy as fuck to make dude.
Granted i do work in a steel shop.
>>
>>34581174
actually looks cool for a cheapo

>>34580727
Bear and Son is recommended for the $35-45 range. That's what I got. The latch is lame (needs o-rings, doesn't have nice ass springs like the Benchmades) but the build is adequate and doesn't fall apart like the sub-$15 stuff. Keep an eye for used Kimuras - they're discontinued but still on the used market and sell for around $100. Aside from those they apparently aren't worth the price until you reach the highend stuff.
>>
>>34580114
I recently got back into it after I quit another stupid ass hobby.
Its honestly just that OP, a hobby. Dont try and take it places or use it for anything more than tape and string, since yours doesnt look all that high quality.
Szabofly (pic related) is pretty much the nicest one you can get, but its also arguably the hardest to flip because of its design. Every other design, besides the Terry Guinn Gargoyle, bores me to tears but will work just fine for flipping.
>>
File: IMG_0103.jpg (91KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0103.jpg
91KB, 450x338px
>>34581488
Forgot pic
>>
>>34580114

"back, over, back-down."
>>
>>34580377
>explain to everyone your not a gangbanger/ mafia member
where do you live, Vermont?

here's my best advice. Don't grab the sharp end and don't let it slip out of your hand during the open or you wind up with a knife in your foot. Also don't be a spaz and play with it in public, it's just a pocket knife.
>>
>>34580114
how much is balisongs on your place? some are sold here less than a fiver
>>
in my experience, good balisongs are made from "liberated" train ties.

Got a good bolo made from one and it doesn't lose its edge quite quickly
>>
>>34581174
So it's double-edged? Doesn't that reduce the number of tricks you can do to... 1?
>>
File: Tips Fedorov.jpg (145KB, 479x580px) Image search: [Google]
Tips Fedorov.jpg
145KB, 479x580px
The balisong is the ultimate mall ninja item.
There is a reason it is nicknamed the fedora knife.
>>
>>34580114
The OG fidget spinner.

Get a dull practice one with an aluminum blade.
>>
>>34580216
Great input anon. You could have kept your opinion to yourself and the end result would have been the same.
>>
>>34580114
The rivet between the handles when they open tends to get peened if your handles are copper or brass like that in theory it should work harden it but I found mine dented and peened the rivet when I filed down part of the handles just to make a mark so I know which side has the edge I found my handles are made out of copper and just have a plating over it to make it look like steel. Shouldn't be difficult to replace but after a while you might want to do with a bigger rivet head otherwise the handles can click together if you grip them hard enough but it could potentially give you a pinch.

>>34580538
That screw is stupid, that piece at the bottom is just there to get in the way if it gets loose it can stop the handles from closing together when you open it, I took that thing off after a while it's pointless just gets in the way and you shouldn't ever need it really it just makes it harder to open from the pocket.
>>
>>34586099
OP's knife looks like a two piece sandwich construction, not solid handles, so that screw is probably holding the two halves of the handle together
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.