[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

P238 vs P938

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: literally sex.jpg (653KB, 2894x2316px) Image search: [Google]
literally sex.jpg
653KB, 2894x2316px
Hi, I'm looking to purchase one of these two pistols. For now it'll be my HD, and once I'm old enough to CC I'll use it for its main purpose. In the mean time I'm going to be spending lots of time at the range as well as plinking with it.

P238 advantages: caliber has less recoil than 9mm, plus the gun is slightly lighter/smaller

P938 advantages: caliber is stronger than .380, plus the ammo is more plentiful and cheaper (P938 is the clear winner in SHTF type scenarios). There is also a .22LR conversion kit which is a big thing for me.

I've only shot a P938 once and that was today. I handled the recoil pretty well considering it was the first time I've shot a pistol in forever. It kinda bruised my trigger finger but I looked it up and others had the same issue. It can be easily fixed with a new trigger. Right now I'm leaning towards this pistol. Help convince me that I'm either right or wrong.
>>
I've owned two P238's (one was an HD). The alloy P238 was my first CCW back in 2013 and I carried it every day for two years until I upgraded to the P938. I have since sold both of those .380's (although I regret selling the P238 HD), and I've been carrying the P938 since 2015 - about an equal amount of time at this point as I carried the P238.

There's not a huge amount of difference between the two as far as carry goes. The P238 would just disappear inside my waistband, and the P938 is the same way, although just a couple ounces heavier, which I can feel with certain belts. I feel like the P238 was small enough to pocket carry, but the P938 is just a little too long in the slide.

Shooting them, there is a huge difference. The P238 was is mildly snappy (the HD was a puppy dog to shoot, btw), but the P938 kicks like a mule, IMO, which exaggerates the sharpness of the grip serrations and the trigger, as you noted. In the two years that I owned my original P238, I easily put over 2000 rounds through it, but I still have yet to crack 500 rounds through my P938. I find that if I slack too long between shooting it at the range, my groups open up significantly. Now I'm not saying it's not easily controlled or that it's hard to shoot - the trigger is great and once I'm in the groove, I can shoot it as well as any other gun. Just that unless you practice with it enough, your skills may deteriorate, and it's not really a gun that you'll enjoy shooting. Another thing worth noting is the trigger reach is more of a normal distance on the P938, but very short on the P238, which may matter if your hands are either smaller or larger than average.

The P938 has a few known issues that Sig has yet to solve, like the guide rod unscrewing itself and flying out of the front of the gun while shooting and the 7 round magazines occasionally dropping free from the gun while shooting. I haven't experienced the former, but I have experienced the latter issue.
>>
Also, the trigger pivot pin is notoriously difficult to remove. The very small diameter, combined with the fact that it's press fitted into the frame, makes it so some gunsmiths have been known to give up trying to get it out of certain guns. A better solution to the sharp trigger is to just sand down the serrations, since it's made of polymer.

I don't have any reservations about recommending a P938, and in fact, I recently recommended one to my father. Just keep in mind that there is a bit of a catch in shooting it because it's just not that fun to shoot, so you won't really want to get it out very often.

The P238 is easier to shoot and a little lighter, but I don't feel that it's light enough to really decide on weight alone (it's still like 15 ounces). I recently picked up a Ruger LCP II and with the newly enlarged and widened grip, it's now a viable IWB carry pistol, in my mind. It's also a super light carry pistol (10.5 oz) and the recoil is less harsh than the P938, so you may want to consider one of those as well if you're on the fence about the P238.
>>
>>34579639
>>34579652
Thank you for this. I'm probably going to go back and try out my range's P238 side by side with the P938 later this week.

How much more effective is 9mm for stopping a threat? I've received mixed answers
>>
File: shortbus.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
shortbus.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
you fags havin a giggle?
>>
>>34579695
European police and military used 7.65mm (.32 ACP) and 9mm Browning (.380 ACP) for decades, so you've got to imagine that they killed lots of people with those calibers over the years, despite being aware of calibers like 9mm and also .45 ACP, which were contemporary with all semi-auto pistols.

I think as civilians, though, we will almost never use our CCW's, so the more powerful calibers are just more comforting to us. When you carry a gun, it's a kind of self-confidence booster, whether you intend for it to be or not, so if you're not personally comfortable with some given caliber, then it's not doing its job to comfort you. It may sound silly, but this is the reason for many a gun trade up from .380 to 9mm, from 9mm to .45, or from 9mm to .40 cal.

At the end of the day, .380 and 9mm are both pretty effective, neither is going to be powerful enough to guarantee a threat gets stopped, but the 9mm will certainly make you feel better while you carry.
>>
>>34579760
Neato, that slide is awful though
It might look decent with a black grip
>>
>>34579790
get a load of this breeder
>>
>>34579977
Do gay people really say that?
>>
File: cavebeast.jpg (28KB, 235x322px) Image search: [Google]
cavebeast.jpg
28KB, 235x322px
>>34579987
>>
Pls help
>>
>>34579987
yeah, but it isn't common. It's like straights saying "faggot," in the gay community. It's considered a big insult.
>>
>>34579464
A manual safety isn't really advisable for CC.
>>
>>34586242
If I don't use it why not have it?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.