[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

reloading help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: Ukranians.jpg (75KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
Ukranians.jpg
75KB, 960x640px
so i'm trying to reload .308 for the first time, but it seems that the inside diameter of my cases are too small, shearing the bullets. im using a dillon 550B, what can i do to expand the neck by about .004? i tried pulling the sizing die back, but then the bullet just drops through the middle. thoughts? pic unrelated
>>
File: Ed4LdEW_d.jpg (6KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
Ed4LdEW_d.jpg
6KB, 243x207px
>>34579001
Or you could just buy ammunition from a large scale factory and save thousands on reloading equipment.
>>
>>34579119
>save thousands
its like half a thousand, and ive got more than my money's worth in pistol bullets
>>
>>34579001
Try buying a new decapping pin/neck sizer for .308, maybe the one you got in your kit is a bit out of spec. Or measure the bullets you are using; they sell bullets ranging from .303 to .312 in every size, you might be using a .309 or a .310 bullet. Other than that, all I can think of is try to buy a decapping pin for a 7.62x54R, those bullets tend to come in a lil bigger.

Idk bud that's a weird one
>>
>>34579289
the expanding ball in the middle seems to be too small.. what size should it be? i cant recall exact number, but its like .305 i think?

i'm trying to reload with .309 bullets
>>
>>34579001
Are you chamfering your case mouths?

What brand and model of dies are you using? List them and the brand and model of your bullet.

You should not bell the case mouth with jacketed bullets but you'll pretty much have to with cast.
>>
>>34579421
but i mean, even with .309 bullets, its easily .003+ smaller.
>>
>>34579119
Bottom of the barrel brass case .308 is 50 cents per round. You can get once-fired cases for ten cents each and .308 bullets are super cheap and common.
You'd probably be in the black after 1000 rounds, maybe even less.
>>
>>34579436

You need a teeny bit of bell even with jacketed bullets so you can actually put the bullet into the case so that when you run it up into the seating die it won't fall out.

Not a lot, but just enough so it'll sit in the case mouth for seating, then crimp
>>
>>
>>34581150

This comes from a recent issue of Blue Press

http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/June_2017_Blue_Press_web.pdf
>>
>>34581150

Continued
>>
>>34579553
My time is worth money since I'm a contributing, EMPLOYED member of society, autist.
>>
>>34581194
And yet here you are on 4chan instead of making money.
Hmmmm
>>
>>34581194

Reloading pistol is fast on a progressive press, and you save a lot of money compared to buying retail.

I'm a software engineer by trade and it still is worth my time.

Also it's enjoyable.
>>
>>34579001
The expander ball on the sizing die could be too small. I have never had a problem like this, but I use single stage or a turret press.
As others said, check the bullet diameter.
>>
>>34581125
That's chamfer, not actual belling.
>>
>>34582435

No, chamfering is when you use a tool to remove brass shavings and such from a case after trimming it.
>>
>>34579436
This OP. if you aren't chamfering your brass the bullet will not seat well
>>
>>34581194
>He screeches while shitposting on 4chan
>>
>>34581194
Why do we get one of you faggots in these threads every time. . .

Reloading 5.56? Not super worth it, depending on your press and hold much you shoot.

Reloading .308? Extremely worth it, unless you like throwing money away. Buckets of money. Who's the autist now?
>>
>>34583571
I never bell my brass, only chamfer and have never had bullets fall out on me while running up the ram. Granted I use a single stage but
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.