[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is using knives in self defense so frowned upon?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: Karambit.jpg (38KB, 982x621px) Image search: [Google]
Karambit.jpg
38KB, 982x621px
>Walking down the street late at night in a state with no brandishing laws
>Get accosted by someone ~20 feet away from you
>Yelling threats "Ima fuck you up boy" etc.
>Guy starts approaching slowly, still yelling threats
>Back up slowly, tell him to fuck off and leave you alone
>Draw hangun and point it at the ground just in case you have to use it
>Tell him to fuck off again
>Guy sees gun
>Fucks off
>Completely legal

>Same situation
>Guy starts approaching slowly, still yelling threats
>Back up slowly, tell him to fuck off and leave you alone
>Pull knife just in case you need to use it
>Tell him to fuck off again
>He fucks off
>Get charged with assault with a deadly weapon

Why?
>>
A knife is easily obtained and carried by someone else and your use of it can easily escalate a situation that would not have been so bad had you not drawn a knife. It offers little significant advantage in hand to hand combat.
>>
Loser bleeds out in the street, winner bleeds out on the way to the hospital.
>>
>>34576848

this
>>
>>34576638
Seems like you're talking about the law's view on this compared to general isn't what is done with the gun in your example brandishing? I'm sure if your life is threatened then no one, law-wise, would care if you killed the person with a gun or knife.
>>
>>34576807
>and your use of it can easily escalate a situation that would not have been so bad had you not drawn a knife. It offers little significant advantage in hand to hand combat.

I'm sick of this meme. I'd rather have a knife than take my chances trying to use kung-fu on a 6'3" linebacker
>>
From your hypotheticals I take it you mean from a legal perspective? There is no knife license and knives do not make an audible report upon use prompting everyone that hears it to call the cops.

>>34576807
If you can't kick for shit it offers range, which is nice.

>>34576848
This is truth, knife fighting is retarded. If you pull a knife and they pull a knife you need to ante up to a gun or get gone.

>>34576878
Most brandishing laws exempt self defense by CCL holders. California is a notable exception, where it's only legal if you shoot them. Dog bless.
>>
>>34576878
>isn't what is done with the gun in your example brandishing

I don't have brandishing laws in my state
>>
>>34576807
When I was in bjj we had a class where everyone wore all white and one partner was armed with a magic marker. The faux 'knife' pretty much cancelled out all size and skill advantages.
>>
>>34576848
>>34576892
>>34576865
I'm sick of this meme.

Knives are pretty scary to fight, but they're not magical death machines that will instantly kill you and your attacker. A lot of people here carry guns, but you don't hear anyone saying you're going to get shot whenever you try to use it to defend yourself.
>>
>>34577004
Yeah, you go Mozambique a guy with a knife with your own knife without getting cut the fuck up in the process. Imma wait here.
>>
>>34576892
The only reason someone won't be able to kick for shit is if they're a skellington, or a hamplanet.

Any decently healthy adult should be able to land some sort of push kick to keep someone away.

And a bit of training can teach you how to do a proper teep, as well as how to follow it up, I.E how to fuck the other person up.
>>
>>34577004
Uhmm the first thing we tell the newguys is get training because if you don't you will get shot if you try to defend yourself the wrong way.

Been in way to many classes were people thought baddest thing walking until the red paint brushes come out. 1 minute later with red marks on both femorals they finally got the idea that you don't even need to hit the torso to get yourself killed you
>>
File: 1484967512430.jpg (90KB, 500x710px) Image search: [Google]
1484967512430.jpg
90KB, 500x710px
>>34577145
>Go to kick someone
>They grab your leg and pull you down
>They proceed to pound your face in
>>
File: 1418089922706.jpg (81KB, 960x690px) Image search: [Google]
1418089922706.jpg
81KB, 960x690px
If your self-defense plan involves getting within swinging distance of your attacker, you deserve all of the negative things that are about to happen to you.
>>
>>34577069
>Mozambique a guy
What are you, LARPing as seal team 6? You wouldn't even double-tap them IRL.
>>
>>34577408

>Grab your leg
>They now have no way of defending themselves as you punch them

This isn't the fucking WWE. You don't have to stand there going "WHOA, SLOW DOWN THERE BUDDY!" if they grab your leg.

And before you say "They've got it with one hand, are strong enough to stop me from freeing myself and are defending with the other hand", it's your own fault for apparently deciding to stand and fight against a fucking superhero.
>>
Blame public opinion.
When you pull a gun you are escalating to the max degree, everyone knows the shitutation has gotten out of hand, there's no ambiguity to it, especially in the public eye, whether or not they think it's justified is another matter the point is they understand the gravity of it.

When you pull a knife, unless the guy has already escalated to or beyond lethal means you end up looking like a reactionary thug because the difference between self-defense with a knife and gutting a cunt is pretty small.
>>
>>34576891
Why are you even going against a 6'3" linebacker? Fucking run or shoot the jackass.

But the more important question is; Why aren't you 6'3"?
>>
>>34576848
>Loser bleeds out in the street, winner bleeds out on the way to the hospital.

Why doesn't it also apply to gunfights on short distances?
>>
>>34577565
Any normal persons' arms aren't as long as their fucking shins. If you're taller then you're fucked. If you try to punch them, all you accomplish is leaning forward into them where they can maneuver you any way they wish. It's either you fall down and you're ground meat or not fucking kicking someone in the first place.
>>
>>34577738
People miss and it does. Look at Chicago for proof
>>
>>34576638
I think it is more that knife laws are so poorly written and understood by cops and citizens that prosecutors who like convictions will find whatever excuse to charge with.
>>
>>34577996
nigs in philly scared the shit out of honkies in the 50s and now switchblades and daggers are Illegal in PA
>>
>>34578021
Could be.

>>34577650
I think there is something to this as well.

I mean, I think a good lawyer can handle it. If it looks legitimate and is legitimate. Guy punches you and pull a knife and stab him and back off because the fight has ended.

But yeah, its gruesome and hands on in a way people don't want to think about so it may seem worse, as you say.
>>
>>34577747
Why do people think that they can magically just snatch a kick from the air and pull someone on their ass? This is the hand to hand fighting equivilant to "lol if you pull a gun I can just grab the hammer/takedown switch and pull the slide off then you're fucked you idiot"

Is everyone a praying mantis and I just didn't realize it?
>>
>>34578134
Too much TV and just really not wanting the world to be the way it is.

But its in some ways a good thing. Violent crime is creeping back up post ferguson. Its sad. But overall the country has gotten so safe. So many people legitimately have not been in a fight. That's s a good thing. Its a shame their minds are filled with some ideas that may be a bit dangerous though, but these are rare circumstances overall.
>>
>>34578134
Unless you train in martial arts, there is no way you won't be able to pull off a kick quick enough for someone to not see it. Even someone that's untrained could catch the bottom of your shins quick enough. A gun can be instantaneous while a kick can take 2 seconds at most, with positioning, pulling it back, and wouldn't even work in a short range unless the person is grounded/overpowered.
>>
>>34578250
Nah, if your kick takes 2 seconds it's not a kick. You may as well just tickle him with your foot.

Even untrained, it's hard to have absolutely no idea how to kick
>>
File: 1453066251899.jpg (621KB, 3891x2589px) Image search: [Google]
1453066251899.jpg
621KB, 3891x2589px
>>34576807
"Escalation." I hate this concept. If anything, by drawing a weapon, you're trying to de-escalate shit because you DON'T want a fight. It just strikes me as one of many baby steps toward criminalizing self-defense. Smearing the victim out to be the aggressor and the criminal as the victim.
>>
>>34580629
There's a time and place when escalation is a valid concept.

Some drunk homeless guy who keeps pestering you and you can't get him to fuck off with drawing, then sure, a weapon may de-escalate the situation.

A crazy methhead who's holding you at gunpoint and who'll shoot you the second you make a furtive moment, drawing a weapon will probably escalate the situation.
>>
>>34577565
>punching someone while theyre holding your leg

stop watching so much Naruto faggot
>>
>>34576848
/thread
>>
>>34576638
The situation you just described with the gun is not legal. You are not supposed to draw any weapon without using it. If you drew it but didn't use it then you are brandishing a deadly weapon in a situation where you didn't need it and you will be punished by the law. Similarly you can't fire a warning shot, you will be charged for that too. If you do anything besides draw a weapon and immediately fire 3 shots center mass on an approaching deadly threat, you will be prosecuted.
>>
>>34580629
>"Escalation." I hate this concept. If anything, by drawing a weapon, you're trying to de-escalate shit because you DON'T want a fight.
From what universe are you that taking out a weapon intended to kill people means you don't want to fight.
>>
File: 1449921882675.jpg (62KB, 395x401px) Image search: [Google]
1449921882675.jpg
62KB, 395x401px
>>34576807
>A knife offers little significant advantage in hand to hand combat

this is the stupidest sentence I've ever seen on 4chan, let alone /k/

that's like saying a gun gives you no significant advantage in long range combat
You stupid motherfucker. lmao
>>
>He fucks off
>Get charged with assault with a deadly weapon

If he fucks off, why are you being charged exactly?

Someone who is not me has had this happen on three occasions, with a knife, a hatchet, and star picket.

The police only showed up to that last one, but they didn't care about the defensive use of said picket, and this was in Australia.

The other person was arrested though, he was found nearby with an axe handle, tested positive for meth, and turned out to be on parole.
>>
>>34582961
You're a brainlet if you don't understand the concept he's putting across.
That said, this guy is right >>34581102
every self-defense situation is going to be unique and there's no one clear right or wrong answer in these cases

still, better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
>>
>>34576638
Because it's dangerous and it's hard to deliver the injuries that would be both stopping and non-lethal.
Each time I take a puukko with me, I'm facing distrust of police and shop security, they doubt my peacefulness
>>
>>34577145
>>34577565
Wanna know how I know you've never been in a real fight?
>>
File: L3DOkk0.png (110KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
L3DOkk0.png
110KB, 1920x1080px
>>34583178
>carries Mongol weapon
>"they doubt my peacefulness"
colour me surprised, pekka
>>
>>34577004
>confirmed for never having been in a grapple with a knife
The danger with a knife is I have to be frenching the guy to deal a killing blow, a handgun I can be substantial distance away.
Go get in a knife fight and tell me how that works out. I would rather be able to use cover and a handgun risking a shot that will kill me near instantly than wrestle a guy and get stabbed and sliced just to slowly bleed out in an ambulance.
Knives in fights are just like handguns in war, it's only there as a last resort to fight your way back to a viable weapon.
>>
>>34583248
I would understand if I carried something like georgian national dagger or unfolded large Ti-lite.
>>
whats better for self defense a knife or a expandable Baton?
>>
>>34584035
Baton, if you have the strength and training
>>
>>34576638
>knife like OP for self defense

good luck autismo
>>
>>34584035
a jar of poisonous frogs.
>>
File: 1394113830812.jpg (65KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1394113830812.jpg
65KB, 1920x1080px
>>34583178
>mfw the security guard at my bank demanded to hold my ninjato for me until I left
It's not easy being a master swordsman in this aichmophobic society.
>>
>>34577004
>get knife in the gut
>magically doesnt tear my intestinum tenue to fuckign shreds
>>
>>34582957
Please don't listen to this dumbass. The majority of defensive gun uses end without a single round being fired. Often, the threat of force from a gun is enough to send people scurrying. If you were to tell the police (which ideally you should to ensure the other party doesn't put forth their story first,) you have a near 0% of being charged, much less convicted.
>>
pepper spray squad report in
>>
>>34586409
Shit, I thought I was the only guy who threw a pepper in the air and shot it for less lethal takedowns. What are you using? I recently switched from habanero to ghost and am pretty pleased with the results so far, taking it to the local indoor range later today for some proper testing.
>>
>>34577145
>kicks at a guy with a knife
>guy slashes your fucking femoral artery
>>
>>34576638
it could be the types of wounds that knifes produce over firearms and to knock some one down or to stop them from resisting you need multiple or semi/fully lethal cuts whilst a gun can knock even the gigest of niggers down with a few shots depending on size
>>
>>34586545
Stab maybe. A slash from a typical half-dull knife won't reach. The artery is close to the bone on the inner side of the leg
>>
>>34576638
For self defense I would recommend a chemical weapon or a blunt weapon.
For lethal self defense I'd recommend a knife.

If you cut the guy it won't hurt him that much, when he realizes that you just used a knife on him his brain will go defcon 1 and a fight for life and death will start. He won't even feel the inflicted wounds and swing at you until he bleeds out on the spot.

If you hit someone with a blunt object it won't do as much damage but hurt like hell.
Hit someone on the arm and he can't swing anymore, hit someone on the thigh and he can't follow you anymore.

If you give him a good hit on the right biceps or smash his hand that's normally a win because no average thug can put up a fight with his main arm disabled.

A pistol is a game breaker. "If he points that at me I am dead"
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.