[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Explain to me how free-floating rifles work, /k/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: mcfloat 2.jpg (64KB, 856x642px) Image search: [Google]
mcfloat 2.jpg
64KB, 856x642px
Explain to me how free-floating rifles work, /k/. What does it contribute to the gun and why do snipers cream their pants over it?
>>
File: bourdain.png (183KB, 648x504px) Image search: [Google]
bourdain.png
183KB, 648x504px
'Free-floating' means that the stock (or handguard) does not come into contact with the barrel, and thus does not affect point of aim.

It is only one small part contributing to the overall accuracy of a weapon.
>>
>>34571736
It allows more consistent shooting (so also more precision) because the barrel is allowed to "vibrate" freely after firing, not touching the stock.
>>
File: 1470171979033.jpg (111KB, 523x722px) Image search: [Google]
1470171979033.jpg
111KB, 523x722px
>>34571736
Free floating refers to the action of making it so nothing is touching the barrel of the firearm, and it's only connected via a small barrel nut that's very stiff near the receiver, like on an AR. Other ways of attaching may vary.

Free floating can do 2 things:

1. It makes it so that nothing it resting on the barrel when it's being held or propped up against something for stability. Obviously not having something possibly pressing on your barrel is a good thing

2. It can improve barrel harmonics, whatever that means.
>>
File: rex.jpg (50KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
rex.jpg
50KB, 480x360px
>>34571736
Harmonics, watch the whole Rex series and come back when you're done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h407yVskVeM
>>
Free floating is a meme for wannabe sniper wankers.
>>
>>34571836
why is an immediate improvement of group sizes by 1 to 3 minute of angle a meme?
>>
>>34571860
This depends greatly on the rifle. Some rifles actually experience no increase in accuracy or even a decrease because the stock and bedding are designed to dampen the barrel harmonics. This is typically true for thinner barrels.
>>
>>34571776
>1. It makes it so that nothing it resting on the barrel when it's being held or propped up against something for stability. Obviously not having something possibly pressing on your barrel is a good thing
As a FAL owner, this shit is more important than you might think. Simply using the bipod on my StG 58 (which is clamped directly to the barrel, in front of the gas block) is enough to shift my point of impact up 6MoA, or about 6in at 100yds. All but the heaviest bull barrels actually flex a surprisingly fair bit.
>>
>>34571902
AES-10B owner here, bipod deployed actually increases my group size.
>>
>>34571878
So let me get this straight. Free float barrels are better in every way. The harmonics of the barrel are more consistent and you can apply diferent amounts of pressure to the handguard and get the same point of impact. The only exception to this is a light weight pencil barrel that has shit harmonics anyways, so you HAVE to dampen the barrel by putting it into contact with something. This makes free float barrels a meme?
>>
>>34572011
The barrel is going to wiggle when a bullet is pushed through it. Having it wiggle the same way each time is the trick. That is why you match what kind of loads work best with your gun. If the bullet leaves the barrel in the middle of it's swing then the tiny variations have a bigger impact. A free floating barrel tends to have less changes with temperature. You'll see a weight added to some Olympic rifles barrels, this can be moved up or down the barrel to tune the harmics of the barrel. But unless you are an amazing shot (better then me) getting the right ammo for your rifle will make it shoot better then you can.
>>
>>34572011
free floating is one of multiple ways to maximize accuracy you could go for extreme rigidity an achieve the same results. the key is to make every shot the same as the last. how you achive making every shot the same as the last doesnt matter as long as you make every shot the same
>>
itt poorfags defend their outdated rifles

free floated or not you can have a nice rifle but dont shit up the board with preconceived notions that FF is inherently a waste of time and money
>>
>>34572363
I agree with you. To free float almost anything now takes usually less then 100$ and can make a difference but i still think ammo is buggest factor. It is the tires and the fuel to use a car metaphor
>>
>>34571836

I agree with you my internet friend.

Personally I fasten all my bipods directly to the barrel right behind the front sight, and since I also only shoot corrosive ammo through my barrel which I never clean I can spot no difference through my China-clone scope which I have fastened with one scope ring only..

Best regards
The guy who never falls for the sniper memes
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.