[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bear defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: cq5dam.web.835.835.jpg (22KB, 835x226px) Image search: [Google]
cq5dam.web.835.835.jpg
22KB, 835x226px
So my family owns a ranch in Colorado. Currently the only guns we have up there are a couple of .22s. We used to have more there but various cousins have taken them and we are storing what's left a couple states away.

We have a model 29 .44 revolver for going up to the top, but my dad wants to get a rifle for defense if there were ever a grizzly encounter. He thinks the way to go is .30-06 semi-automatic, but I think the recoil is going to be a little crazy. We already have an auto-loading shotgun that I'm going to get some heavy slugs for to give some peace of mind.

What do you guys think of the BAR Mark II? Any other recommendations? Are we being dumb and if so, what else should we do?
>>
>>34570326
I think something like a ptr 91 would be better than the BAR. You could always stick with the autoloading shotgun.
>>
>>34570326
45-70 will kill nearly any animal on this earth
Bears included
>>
>>34570326

I think an M1A would be about the same money and be more flexible for what you want to do with it.

Though the Browning has class. My brother has my grandfathers in .300 winmag.
>>
>>34570699
>>34570664
I see. These are in 7.62 NATO, but I assume that this is similar to 7.62x54 in terms of destructive capacity. I'll check them out more in depth for sure.

>>34570694
Interesting, I hadn't really thought much about it. Thanks.
>>
>>34570694
.30-06 will too
>>
>>34570326
There are no more girzzilies in CO. Only black bears.
>>
It's incredibly rare to be actually attacked by bears. Black Bears rarely ever attack. Most of the time they make a mock charge and then just fuck off. Brown bears can be a little more aggressive but are more of the same. Grizzlies don't exist in Colorado anymore. Animal attacks as whole are very rare especially if you move with a purpose and make noise. Bears and other animals only really attack when cornered or suprised. It is literally more likely you'll be struck and killed by lightning than be killed by a bear
>>
>>34570800
I mean, at a certain point, almost any caliber can kill any animal real fast if you put the shot into the sweet spot.
>>
>>34571108
what about mountain lions?
>>
File: 1436232662197.jpg (61KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1436232662197.jpg
61KB, 640x640px
>>34570326
get a flak 88 mounted on a dirtbike
>>
>>34571154
There have been like 20 mountain lion related deaths since 1890. There have been only 3 I know of in the past 15 years
>>
A .30-06 auto isn't going to be any worse than an Autoloader with slugs. Both will do fine

>>34570699
Difference is you can find cheap BARs in several different chambers all day long on used racks, and the BAR BDM is legit ether than the M1A, but not as cool an an M1 Garand.
>>
>>34571154
Mountain lions aren't Bengal tigers. 220lbs is massive for a mountain lion with the low 110s being average for a male and it still just a thin skinned cat. 9mm is fine for those. Even then most attacks however rare from mountain lions are from smaller younger cats that just left home and don't know shit about life

If a big male attacks you, it's already on you and you're trying to shoot/stab it off of you
>>
Aero Survival Rifle in 10mm
>>
>>34571154
>full speed mountain lion
>gun
Good fucking luck with that
>>
File: flamethrower-640x533.jpg (92KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
flamethrower-640x533.jpg
92KB, 640x533px
>>34571436
I have the solution
>>
I think you would be equally well served with a BAR, an M1 Garand, M1A, or a .308 AR style build. Likewise, the .45-70 or 12 gauge would be a good option.

I'd lean more towards a 12 gauge slug depending on the range. A 12 gauge is a versatile gun in it's own right, so you can use it for other shooting or hunting purposes. A 12 gauge can be had at a much lower price than the rifles.

If I needed a rifle, I'd choose a .308 AR or a .45-70. I'm also biased towards those guns, so keep that in mind.
>>
>>34570694
Seconded. Can't wait to buy my Marlin .45-70 CB
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.