[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Air Rifles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 350_magnum.jpg (28KB, 1162x308px) Image search: [Google]
350_magnum.jpg
28KB, 1162x308px
Is this a good purchase?

Thinking of getting pic related for target practicing and critter hunting if needed. Scopes for air rifles are also quite cheap so I will get one as well.

Also, what's better? CO2 cartridges or normal break action?

Pic related, It's a DIANA 350 Magnum.
>>
You'll shoot your eye out.
>>
Diana is a brand with a great history, I have an old model 22 handed down from my grandpa. I'm not sure if they make a fixed barrel model with a cocking lever on the bottom but that should be the most accurate and reliable. CO2 is a little easier for shooting/plinking overall since you have precompressed gas in stead of using a lever each time. Then again if you want to do precision shooting, the gas pressure, and thus your shot placement will drop.
>>
>>34561579
Go with break action. They are more consistent with velocity and are self powered.
>>
In my experience, break-action works good for hunting. You shouldn't have to fire more than one shot at a pretty anyway.
>>
*at prey

Stupid autocorrect
>>
>>34561579
Breakbarrels are good for critter shooting but they are springers so need the "artillery hold" to get maximum accuracy. Which is a bad habit for a real gun.

Your options are Springers, Single Pump Pneumatics, Multipump Pneumatics, and Pre Charged Pneumatics and CO2. All have plusses and minuses.

Springers are a way to get more power (better for hunting) but recoil oddly and require special hold.

Pneumatics are better for target practice but are not repeaters. Good for precision practice. Single pumps are more appealing for target practice but too low powered for shooting animals. Multipump ones better for hunting but can be annoying pumping 3x for each shot if you're mainly punching paper.

PCPs are most appealing (no pumping between shots) the catch is more expensive. 200 buck pump + gun. Or if you're really lazy and spendy, scuba tank, adapter set, AND gun.

CO2 is king of repeaters. In fact they were the only game in town till last SHOT show when a PCP entered the ring with the Benjamin Wildfire. Downside is cost more per shot because you have to buy the CO2 and the pellets.

Best bang for your buck and stated purposes is probably a multipump repeater. Ideal setup is probably the PCP route now that the Wildfire is in the game. Seriously tempted to trade in my 22 for a PCP setup.
>>
>>34561887
You forgot to mention some pretty shitty reverse recoil that happens before the pellet even leaves the barrel. Definitely the best bang for the buck though.
>>
File: photo_2017-07-13_14-14-49.jpg (93KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-07-13_14-14-49.jpg
93KB, 960x1280px
I'd recommend a springer, I own a Gamo CFR and it's absolutely great, just upgrade it with a Gas Ram (I put 40kg on mine, don't bother to go much more because it will get too hard to break the barrel) and set a nice scope.

I do own a Hatsan AT44 PCP which is great for a fun day shooting at 100m targets, but I need to bring my scuba tank, charge it every 50 shots (with a regulator), not so practical to do on a field, so I bought the Gamo because I got bored of carrying all that.
>>
>>34561579

You did good

Just be sure you use the artillery hold when shooting

I have pic related in .22
>>
>>34561579
Get a Benjamin 397 if you want one in .17 caliber or a 392 if you want one in .22.

I've got a few air rifles, a 397, a Crossman Legacy 1000 (which is very light and cheap feeling but very accurate), and I bought a surplus Daisy 853 from the CMP. The first two are multi pump pneumatics and the latter is a single pump.

The 397 is by far my favorite though since it has a nice stock and feels almost like a real rifle. I'll be doing some shooting with it indoors today since I don't feel like driving out to an actual range.
>>
Love my Weihrauch but for whatever reason they're nearly double price in the states, still Diana are a German manufacturer and should still be up there in quality.
>>
>>34562444
why would artillery hold would be bad for a real gun? u would get quite a kick in the shoulder?
>>
>>34564377
Not same guy, but avid airgunner here. Nothing wrong with artillery hold on a PCP or other types. I use it sometimes with non-springers. But usually prefer a more firm hold with a PCP just because I can hold more steadily. Artillery becomes essential with a Spring piston or gas piston rifle owing to the weird recoil which can fuck up shot placement if one fights it. A very, very consistent artillery hold is necessary to establish good groups.
>>
>>34564377
if powerful gun, then yes.

I also learned to shoot with a sling and that hinges on a tight hold.
>>
I started with a springer and I would NOT recommend them for hunting. A powerful one is relatively heavy, and accuracy is more challenging with a more powerful gun. I do kind of want another springer, but a very weak .177 one for praying at short range in the yard.

You can get a new PCP for around $500 now, or a nicer used one for around the same price. If that's too salty, I'd say get a good multi pump like a Benjamin 392.
>>
>>34565848
*pesting
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.