[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help Choosing Caliber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

File: wm_7685621.jpg (251KB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
wm_7685621.jpg
251KB, 2592x1728px
Howdy my dudes. I've owned Glocks and AR15s like a tacticool faggot but now I'm exploring my inner fudd.

I don't own a nice wooden rifle in anything bigger than 5.56, and I'm trying to get into hunting so I'm looking at the CZ 550fs since it's a bit different and unique compared to most rifles.

I won't be scoping it and it will be occasionally used for hunting.

Problem is that it comes in many different chamberings.

6.5 Swede
.308 Win (probably what I'm going with)
30 (fud) six
9.3x62mm (thinking about this one but don't know how it performs long range)
.243 win

What would you guys get?

The only reason I'm second guessing the .308 is because it's a short cartridge but this rifle uses the long action for the .308 from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) so I'm considering a larger round, might as well.
>>
>>34547516
Most people go wito .308 these days. .30 aught-fudd is good too. .243 isn't bad either but it doesn't really pack the same kind of punch as a .30 cal. woth go with either .308 or .30-06
>>
>>34547516
>9.3x62mm
That'd be cool as hell, but spendy to shoot.
>>
>>34547537

I guess you're right. But my autism doesn't let it go that the rifle is using a long action for a short action cartridge. Seems tge opposite of efficient
>>
>>34547516
>I won't be scoping it and it will be occasionally used for hunting.
6.5 Swede. Very tame recoil. Huge bullet selection of 85 gr varmint loads to 160 gr. 120 grain will be great for durr.
>>
>>34547626

Is 6.5 swede easy to come by in the states? Hadn't even heard of it until a month ago going through Tikkas Sakos and CZs
>>
>>34547735
PPU ammo is available and is generally priced a bit cheaper than comparable .308.
When Swedish Mausers started getting imported back in the day lots of hunters picked up on the cartridge. It has a good following. I handload for it personally as lots of people shoot .264 cartridges so bullets are easy to come by.
>>
>>34547516
I own one in 6.5x55

Recoil is non existent, and accuracy is about 3/4" at 100 yards. Fucking love that thing
>>
File: IMG_2763.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2763.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>34547913
Here's a pic btw. They definitely don't skip on stock quality
>>
>>34547516
Any of those will kill a deer. 270 is my preference for a standard length action.
>>
>>34547516

.308 is probably most flexible for ammo and is available everywhere.

I would be cautious buying less common euro stuff. I had a 7mm Mauser that I had to get ammo ordered in specially at my LGS.
>>
7x57 Super Ackley Improved
>>
>>34547922

God damn that's a beautiful stock. Looks to be of amazing quality from this pic.

You guys have made me consider the 6.5 Swede as am option gonna do some comparisons

What scope mounts are those btw? And could you mount a scout scope on this rifle?
>>
>>34547939

Wow seriously? 7mm mauser isn't that uncommon either
>>
File: M96_Swedish_Mauser.jpg (956KB, 2203x2938px) Image search: [Google]
M96_Swedish_Mauser.jpg
956KB, 2203x2938px
>>34548134
You could also get the rifle that started it all. Mine is from 1905.
>>
File: Rigby375HH.png (673KB, 1019x571px) Image search: [Google]
Rigby375HH.png
673KB, 1019x571px
30-06
300 Win Mag
375 H&H
>>
>>34548198
That's a serious collectors piece
>>
30-06 or 308, I lean 30-06 because you can load it hotter and find more round nose 220 grain to blow the hell out of things "close up"

1) hunt with it
or
2) some match grade ammunition
or
3) availability of good FMJ or shitty cheap milsurp
>>
>>34548198
These come cheap in Sweden (few hundred bucks) and I'd like one but would be too afraid to shoot modern loads through it as I've heard stories of them blowing up. I am not into handloading and can't be assed to. I've read on swedish forums that they're rated for just under 3000 bars whereas modern ammo will yield ~3800. The bore is also supposedly extremely tight for the caliber and if you use "hard" ammo that'll mean yet more pressure. The guy I am reading who seems to have a clue recommends a light FMJ with as little surface area against the barrel as possible. Says to steer clear of partitioned or bonded bullets, hunting ammo and softpoints because apparently with those the jacket tends to be thicker.

Some guy also said he'd been part of a project to x-ray (or whatever) a lot of old m96 receivers and found the results scary because lots of them had microscopic cracking here and there. While they've never been to war proper, most of them have been shot a lot.
While I love the m96's appearance they are not appreciated by most swedes for the aforementioned reasons and because they had to lug one around a lot doing military service. Most recommend an m98 mechanism because it's safer and cocks on open.

Being a swedish supremacist I'll vote for 6.5x55. Also because it's supposed to shoot very flat but maybe that's irrelevant if you're not gonna scope it. Dunno about 6.5's availability in the states though and it's typically marginally weaker than 308.

Cz sure make beautiful rifles, probably gonna be either a fullstocked Cz or a walnut Tikka T3x if I switch up some day.
>>
File: M96.jpg (542KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
M96.jpg
542KB, 2448x3264px
>>34554733
The 6.5x55 factory ammo in the states (PPU brand) is under loaded because of the M96. It may be a different case in Europe since it is a popular hunting round there.

The brass I have been using for 3 years started out as PPU 139 gr soft points and I shot those to no ill effect. When I began handloading I was using 140 gr Nosler CC bullets in mine with Lyman's recommended starting load of 33.5 grains of IMR 4064 and was getting signs of too low pressure, that shows how conservative the manuals are. Lyman tested that load on an M38 receiver.

>Most recommend an m98 mechanism because it's safer and cocks on open.
There is no doubt the m98 is safer but that doesn't make the m96 unsafe .
Some hunters prefer the cock on close because of quickness of follow up shots. My only experience is with COC is with the M96 though so I haven't developed a preference.
>>
The 9.3x62 is basically a metric .375 H&H with more rounds on tap. Good round, especially if you shoot hot loads through it, but a .375 would be more practical. Cost is going to be fucked up regardless and recoil will be...notable.

That said, I'd go for a 6.5 Swede or .30-06 if you handload or not, respectively.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.