[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eighty Percent (80%) Kits Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

File: serveimage.jpg (721KB, 2048x1945px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
721KB, 2048x1945px
Afternoon, /k/,

Whilst perusing the Internet, I'm seriously considering building my own AR or 1911 one of these days, sharpish. Of course, I could always just buy one from a FFL, but as someone pursuing gun-smithing, I'm always looking to increase my experience.

My thoughts are, as follows:
>Are there more eighty-percent kits in circulation other than the ubiquitous AR or 1911 platforms?
>What's the best course of action to keep expenses (i.e. capital, time, agro, et. al.), as low as realistically possible?
>Experience with specialty "jigs" and which are the best ones available.

As always, any thoughts, observations, and experience with this is greatly appreciated (shit-posts optional yet acceptable).
>>
>>34544324
There are 80% Glock lowers and a few other things running around.

If you want to keep costs down just buy a regular gun. 80% are for clueless faggots who use terms like ghost gun and hobbyists who don't care about costs and are looking for excuses to acquire new tools and toys.
>>
>>34544324
>What's the best course of action to keep expenses (i.e. capital, time, agro, et. al.), as low as realistically possible?
Have access to a machine shop.
Otherwise there is literally no reason to buy 80%s
>>
>>34544324
other guns with 80s are glocks, 10/22s, and aks. the thing about an 80 is you have to be able to get the rest of the parts. you are not going to find an 80 luger or something.
from a cost standpoint it is not worth it at all. the reason people do 80 is, its illegal to buy legally, muh ghostgun, or shits and giggles where you did it to do it and dont care that you spent 3times more than just buying one.
jigs are reccomended but not required. if you have a machine shop with a mill you dont need it. think of a jig like a template if you have it and follow instructions you cant fuck up. if you have no jig but can measure you can make something functional but it will be ugly as fuck or fucked up in 1 area where you got careless. a jig is simply a way to hold the part.
additionally 80 1911s are stupid as fuck since its an aluminum frame. if you are going to waste time building a 1911 do it properly.
>>
>>34544324
Building an AR from a parts kit takes practically zero gunsmithing skill. Building a 1911 is more of a challenge but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some gunsmithing experience and are good with a file. There's also glock 80% kits. If you're looking to get into gunsmithing, building kits isn't really the best way to learn, honestly.
>>
There used to be a company making 80% SIG and STI parts IIRC. Don't know if they still do or not.

80% 1911's are a fucking pain in the ass. Assembling a complete 1911 is a pain in the ass as is.
>>
>>34544814
Well, I am a bit of a hobbyist myself, so I don't mind tinkering around too much.

>>34545918
They've eighty percent AK receivers? Beyond Google ("Dont' Be Evil", my ass), do you know any sites off-hand?

>>34545970
Since I'm looking to further my smithy education, where would actually be the most effective way to learn?

>>34546019
...Sig made eighty percenters?
>>
>>34546378
>They've eighty percent AK receivers?
its called a ak flat.google it. costs about 300 dollars in tools to build properly. only worth it if you are building more than 10.
>>
>>34544324
>but as someone pursuing gun-smithing, I'm always looking to increase my experience.
Hold the fuck up. You want to pursue "gunsmithing" but just want the easiest way to make a 80% 1911. get the fuck outta here.
>>
>>34546468
this guys got a point if you were serious youd start with a forging
>>
File: GEN_2_JIG.jpg (90KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
GEN_2_JIG.jpg
90KB, 1024x768px
>>34544324
80% lowers are ONLY worth it if you want a gun off the books. You don't buy an 80% to save money, because it won't. I've built two 80% lower firearms, and both are going to be buried or otherwise concealed, and will never see the light of day again. That's because I'm a paranoid autist, and I firmly believe that our NICS system will be converted to a registry at some point, and I don't want those serials in my name. If the government does come to take all my guns, they won't have paperwork for those two, and I'll still be armed.

I built an 80% AR lower, and bought the regular drill press jig from 80%Arms. Over I don't recommend it, I had a fuck of a time finishing it, and I ruined my first one. They just released their EasyJig2.0 (like 3 days ago), and it looks fantastic. Don't try to use a drill press for milling like I did, just cough up more money for a router-based one. Learn from my mistakes.

The other gun I built was a PF940c from Polymer80. Overall they have a very nice product, with good directions, and procedure that can easily be accomplished with a basic drill press. Make sure you follow the directions CAREFULLY, and that the jig is on straight, or you'll get crooked pinholes like I did. You can't RMA or return a modified or drilled lower, so be careful.

Overall I don't recommend 80% stuff to most people. Unless you're autistic like me.
>>
>>34546468
>>34546490

Do you also recommend throwing children that don't know how to swim into the deep end first?
>>
>>34546468
I do need to start somewhere. :-|
>>
>>34546597
the best way to learn is to fuck up in a way that doesnt kill or maim you. you dont forget those lessons.
if the cost is 40 bucks of scrap aluminum its a cheap price.
>>
>>34546490
Tell me more. I'm going to dust off my old GS books, in the meanwhile.
>>
>>34546581
...Ree? :-S
>>
>>34546642
http://firearmsdesigner.com/?p=488

building an 80 doesnt really teach you anything about gunsmithing. youd learn more if you just bought a 1911/ar and detail stripped it.
building an 80 is pretty much drill hole or cut slot in the right location congrats you did it. with a jig you dont ever have to measure you just drill where it tells you. an intro course to machining at a community collage would be more useful.
>>
>>34546378
>what would be the most effective way to learn?

Go to a gunsmithing school or learn machining. If that's out of the question, then buy a shitty old break action single shot 12gauge for 120 bucks. Like an Iver Johnson Champion or something similar. Get a set of brass punches and completely disassemble it. Clean all the internals and learn how it works. File off all the pitting then remove your file marks with 180 grit sandpaper, then remove those scratches with 220 grit, then 320, then 400. If there's still scratches, then go back down a grit level until they're gone. Re-blue the metal. Learn hot salt bluing or rust bluing. Cold blue is for chumps. Get a small furnace and color case harden the reciever. Throw the stock away, buy a walnut blank and learn how to inlet, shape, and finish your own stock. If you don't have someone experienced teaching you this shit, it's going to be really hard to learn. If any of that sounds fun to you, then I'd recommend gunsmithing school. It's tedious at times but the results are so goddamn satisfying.
>>
File: s6[1].png (1MB, 977x652px) Image search: [Google]
s6[1].png
1MB, 977x652px
Sig needs to make 80% trigger group frames for the 320.
>>
>>34544814
And cuckstaters who can't afford gas or hobbiests, mosin virus makes some sexy stuff
>>
>>34547703
Eugh. I expected more than stamped sheet metal and MIM parts, is that really what they put in there?
>>
>>34547721
Sig died and became cerbus teir like 20 years ago, m8.
>>
>>34546405
What do you need for a receiver flat other than a shop press and a drill press? Or are those the 300$ tools you're talking about?
>>
>>34547771
shop press, drill press, welder, a jig you actually do need the ak jig to bend the thing correctly, theres a couple ak specific tools you need for rivets too
the ak jig and specialized tools make up most of the cost
>>
if you decide to build off a complete ak receiver you still need the shop press drillpress and rivet tools. you dont need to weld or the bending jig.
>>
>>34546378

No, but I remember a company that used to make "80%" kits. P226 ones I think.

>>34547703

IIRC, as above, I think there was a company that used to do this type of thing but I no longer have the website.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-14-18-51-18-1.png (314KB, 1080x1219px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-14-18-51-18-1.png
314KB, 1080x1219px
how difficult would it be to complete a polymer handgun lower?
>>
>>34548324
It's not hard, you just have to drill some holes. It's kind of pointless though you'll end up spending way more than just buying a glock.
>>
>>34544814
or for those of us under 21 but over 18 who want a pistol or stripped lower and have antigun parents who will not gift them one and live in an area with no private sales.
>>
>>34547721
That's because SIG has actual engineers who realize that all machines have a limited lifespan, (No, your Glock/AK/old Sig/HK will not survive until the end of time if you actually went out and used it) and chose to make the parts on these machines easy and cheap to replace when they inevitably fail because of dumbass grunt shenanigans.

It's actually really fucking smart of them to do.
>>
>>34547703
>Implying it's not already happening

https://youtu.be/9qIVsWfRLP8
>>
>>34548402
>This fucking meme

The pf940c has
>A better grip angle
>An undercut trigger guard
>An actual accessory rail

Well worth the 40 dollars or so extra over buying a stock Glock.
>>
>>34547771

for a flat you need a spot welder, drill press, shop press preferably 20 ton, something to heat treat like a blowtorch preferably something you could do the whole receiver with like a forge furnace or kiln, reamers for the pin and rivet holes, jig for bending the flat, jig for pressing rivets, jig for trigger guard rivets, calipers for measuring parts kit parts, punches, hammer, trunion supports and various other smaller things. Most of those can be bought or made easily so it isnt a huge deal. If you already have the press and drill press, you can get the rest for about 400$ which at this point is almost cheaper than an arsenal ak when you factor in parts kits and such, plus you have the ability at that point to make more aks for cost of parts kit, barrel, receiver flat, and rivets.
>>
>>34548518
yeah, the pf40c is much more comfy for my medium-large glove size hands than the stock g19. I egged one of the pin holes for the trigger housing and rear rail. Havnt been able to test it yet though, waiting on being able to spend the money on the slide and barrel assembly and I just started and ak74 build. Because I am in WA and our gov and AG like to be dumb my goal is to get the ak built before a ban and mags for the ak and glock before a ban rather than finish that glock out right away. I really dont like jay "the gay" inslee and bob "BLM" furgeson
>>
>>34544324
glocks and ars are basically worthless these days

massive oversupply particularly ars built a carmin 22 bech gun off a cz and stock an pillar bed, install a trigger kit, change the bolt apring, polish the bolt face, recrown it, scope it and you will learn more than this junk. That or get into rare milsurp and 19thC stuff. Get a BP revolver and rune it, bolt stop and all that, buy something off IMA and restore it. All of these and many more will leave you with something more interesting and with more profit in it (except the BP revolver but you will learn a lot)

Restoring old percussion and flintocks is where is money is. ARs are as common as toothbrushes are basically worthless o resale even if some idiot spent a fortune trying to make a precision rifle from something that is not. An aluminum 911 from a kit sounds horrible, both annoying and kinda shit

Just saying
>>
>>34545472
Aside from getting exactly what you want from the start without having to shop around through 16000 1911s of varying quality and price.
>>
>>34548967
half of that post is gibberish. What the fuck are you even trying to say? Of course theres no money in ARs and glock mods
>>
>>34548500
How much was the 80% insert going for before they sold out and does it come with a jig?
>>
>>34544324
AK platforms are pretty big in terms of builder community and supplies

If you feel as though your skills as a gunsmith are up to par, and permitting that you have the proper tooling, an HK roller lock design could be an option. Something like an HK G3 or MP5. Atlantic Firearms sells stripped recievers and you can find guides on construction online.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.